Wise sayings from your old Dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
With regard to workplace romances; "Never pee on your own doorstep".

byegad

Legendary Member
My Dad died in 1986, the one piece of advice I'll never forget, and have passed on to my sons was:-
'If you back a man into a corner he'll fight. Always, give him a way out that is better for him than a fight.'

Over the years this has helped me deal with (In order of danger.) idiots, malicious bastards and politicians.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My Dad died in 1986, the one piece of advice I'll never forget, and have passed on to my sons was:-
'If you back a man into a corner he'll fight. Always, give him a way out that is better for him than a fight.'

Over the years this has helped me deal with (In order of danger.) idiots, malicious bastards and politicians.
Brings to mind Hunter S Thompson's rules of street fighting: 1) If possible, avoid, by any means 2) If not, maximum violence, now.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
One comment I remember being on the receiving end from my dad was. "You're not even good enough to learn. Get out". This resulted in 10 years of me believing I should, and could, never drive.

I passed 1st time though it was another 20 years before I could bring myself to drive him. I picked him and mum up from East Midlands.

There are many things I remember he's done to me but we're still going up to see him tomorrow and look after him for the weekend as he has terminal cancer (stage IV).

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A couple from my grandad: "You should never be afraid to take the last cake, your hostess is sure to have some more".

And, perhaps more usefully: "Never put a thread up dry".

Top Bottom