Works based cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Hi folks,
a colleague and myself are looking to start a work based cycling club. Now i know starting a club has been touched on in another recent thread, however i dont want to hijack that thread!

We are looking to represent cyclists within our workforce so that we have a voice and also to promote cycling as a viable commute. We will be moving to a city centre location at some point in the near future and we suspect there will be many more (myself included) getting on their bike to commute to work. Everything is very much in its infancy, however we are also keen on doing the social side of things. Is it worth contacting the British Cycling org? Do we really need insurance etc just for a small scale jolly once or twice a week? What is really different between a jolly and an organised club ride? Sorry details are a little vague at the minute, but as i said this is a very new idea.
Any info would be appreciated, or indeed any ideas along the lines of what you would like to see from a work based club if you had the option at your place of work.
Admin please move this thread if you think it suits elsewhere (like the recycle bin :blush: )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's a jolly you don't need BC/CTC. What you are setting up is essentially a 'user group', unless you really want to start organised rides ~?

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Hi,
thanks for the reply, well exactly that really, what constitutes an organised ride? Should we be worried about the division between a jolly and an organised ride? If we were to advertise through our own club web page the details of the ride....meet at such and such a time etc does this constitute an organised ride? I agree our "club" would be more like an informal user group rather than an official club with outside members etc (although nothing stopping inviting quests).
Sorry if i am being thick and missing a very big point here, i can see my lack of experience is showing through :sad:

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
As Fossy said, you really want to start a Bicycle User Group, or BUG. If you Google them then you should get a wealth of information, but the CTC is a good starting point.

The idea is that a "user group" is inclusive and open to all. By calling it a "club" it conjures images of being exclusive and possibly performance/race-oriented. We have a really good BUG where I am - based on a large site with lots of people interested in riding. Not everyone is a whippet - I'm a club rider and I like riding long distances and competing, but at the same time there are people for whom riding is just a convenient mode of transport. Our BUG has a message board, so those who want to go out and ride together can; or so people can keep each other informed about other cycling-related happenings around the town.

Because it works well, and because it's a positive thing for our employer, it means that they're willing to help us with facilities. We provide good PR in terms of a healthy workforce and we also reduce congestion in the car parks. As a result, we have good cycling facilities, good parking, showers, a drying room and a fully-equipped workshop for fettling. All of that comes about through strength in numbers. Think of it like a localised cyclists union ;)

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
As Fossy said, you really want to start a Bicycle User Group, or BUG. If you Google them then you should get a wealth of information, but the CTC is a good starting point.

The idea is that a "user group" is inclusive and open to all. By calling it a "club" it conjures images of being exclusive and possibly performance/race-oriented. We have a really good BUG where I am - based on a large site with lots of people interested in riding. Not everyone is a whippet - I'm a club rider and I like riding long distances and competing, but at the same time there are people for whom riding is just a convenient mode of transport. Our BUG has a message board, so those who want to go out and ride together can; or so people can keep each other informed about other cycling-related happenings around the town.

Because it works well, and because it's a positive thing for our employer, it means that they're willing to help us with facilities. We provide good PR in terms of a healthy workforce and we also reduce congestion in the car parks. As a result, we have good cycling facilities, good parking, showers, a drying room and a fully-equipped workshop for fettling. All of that comes about through strength in numbers. Think of it like a localised cyclists union ;)

yep i was right i was perhaps being a little dense, but i should of not used the word "club"....its a BUG we want to be :bicycle:
Where you are now is spot on, thats exactly what we want to achieve! Thanks for clearing that up we want to achieve the same things, open to all and all levels. I just thought we would have to worry about red tape regarding insurance etc.

We have an intranet and will have a page of our own, basically we will be a subsidary of our Sports and social club. Your second paragraph also reflects where we are at the minute, management is enthusiastic about our starting a club/promoting cycling. I will check out your link, thank you

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
It might be worth asking about to see if you can find anyone nearby who has already implemented one... There's no shame to see what they've done and to steal their best ideas - plus they can potentially advise on other sources of funding, etc. The chairman of our BUG is a genius in scoring free/discounted stuff, so over the years we've filled the workshop full of Park Tools kit, had heavily discounted maintenance courses and the like. If there's anyone similar near you, then that'd be a really good relationship to cultivate. If a bunch of BUGs all started to work together then obviously the buying power is increased.

I work (indirectly) for the police, so we're also a crown site, so politics being what they are, there should be good scope for you to get something decent set up (the cynic in me says that it'll also be easier with it being an olympic year!)

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
It might be worth asking about to see if you can find anyone nearby who has already implemented one... There's no shame to see what they've done and to steal their best ideas - plus they can potentially advise on other sources of funding, etc. The chairman of our BUG is a genius in scoring free/discounted stuff, so over the years we've filled the workshop full of Park Tools kit, had heavily discounted maintenance courses and the like. If there's anyone similar near you, then that'd be a really good relationship to cultivate. If a bunch of BUGs all started to work together then obviously the buying power is increased.

I work (indirectly) for the police, so we're also a crown site, so politics being what they are, there should be good scope for you to get something decent set up (the cynic in me says that it'll also be easier with it being an olympic year!)

I hear you.
Checked out your link thanks, and also Googled BUG so have come up with loads of ideas already.
Our management is quite keen already, just have to put some ideas down on paper and move forward. Thanks again for replying, it has helped!:thumbsup: I'll update here when i can might help others in the future.

Top Bottom