World Snooker Championship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thankyou for starting this thread, Joe. There was a danger that JSO would only get publicity over on the NACA forum, god bless you!

I never visit with NACA myself, I can't be bothered reading through the thread calling for disruption or cancellation of the Grand Tours and classics because of the hundreds of vehicles following the races round at uneconomical speeds.

There is one, isn't there?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They aren't that special any more. The days of a £147,000 jackpot for making one has gone because tournament organisers can't get insurance against having to pay out. Prior to the resurgence of the game in the seventies Joe Davis was the only person who had ever made one.

It actually more in the 90's they "took off" regarding maximums made in a recognised competition (i.e not down the snooker hall / practise)

looking at the all time list....

Joe Davis made 1 in 1955
then
John spencer made 1 in 79, on a non standard table with oversize pockets, so doesn't really count

then we get to Steve Davis in 1982 which was also first on TV, and coincidently against John spencer, then Cliff Thorburn being the first at the Worlds in 83. There were only a further 6 were made in the rest of the 80s.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It actually more in the 90's they "took off" regarding maximums made in a recognised competition (i.e not down the snooker hall / practise)

looking at the all time list....

John spencer made 1 in 79, on a non standard table with oversize pockets, so doesn't really count
I forget which tournament that was in, but it was being televised by ITV. No footage of it exists because union rules meant the cameramen had to stop for their designated tea break at the time and there were no back-up operators.

Jody

Stubborn git
The best 147 was Ronnies after he'd done a few bags of Columbian marching powder.

Wasn't it about four and a half minutes?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Five minutes eight seconds to be precise. Would have been under five if he hadn't stopped for a cigarette half way through.

Lol.

Thought it had already been decided above a 147 isn’t Earth Shattering anymore. My question was in relation to him reputedly enjoying a few lines off the seat of the disabled toilets before he achieved his amazing(ly) fast feat 😳

I never visit with NACA myself, I can't be bothered reading through the thread calling for disruption or cancellation of the Grand Tours and classics because of the hundreds of vehicles following the races round at uneconomical speeds.

There is one, isn't there?

Do you mean this sort of thing?
screenshot-547_0.png

The footprint of bike racing is a topic very ripe for discusssion: I'm glad you brought it up!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I know one of the protestors, future employment is something they won't have to worry about.

That’s precisely what I’m talking about ! I’m sure their wealth or parents wealth was built on thorough green credentials with no investments whatsoever in fossil fuel futures etc ? I’m reaching for sure as have no idea at all but would be interesting to know !

Top Bottom