Would this Dawes be worth saving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
have a google.for Dawes cycle catalogues from 1980s, sooner or later you'll.find a colour and spec match

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Definitely worth saving, a good clean up would make it look 100% better. Googled Dawes 1975 and this photo came up.
DawesKapuVista001-1.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As biggsy rightly points out the only sticking point (literally) might be the seat post and stem. Even if they seem truly stuck there are ways and means. Dose them with Plus Gas/WD40 well ahead in preparation.
Report back when you tried them. Should make a nice bike for minimal cost.
Good luck.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worth it if you like it. Only thing I can add is that if those hoods are cooked, they're surprisingly expensive to replace, £15ish.

carpenter

Über Member
Oxalic acid, make up dilute solution ~ 5% (I didn't measure accurately, so this is an estimate) and soak any chromed parts which have rusted - works really well. It is a weak acid so reacts with Iron oxide but leaves the Iron untouched. Makes of crust of Iron oxalate which can then be scrubbed off, WEAR GLOVES AND BE SENSIBLE: Oxalic acid is a bit toxic.
Just tried it with some rusted pedals from my Carlton Corsa Strada (1970's?) and it worked a treat, just wish that I had taken before photo's.

Also, Autosol is your friend :okay: particularly with aluminium bits.

Just started doing up bikes myself - very therapeutic.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have the opportunity to save this bike from landfill and I'm wondering if anyone can advise whether it's worth keeping as a forthcoming winter project. Can anyone date it? Looks like '80s to me...

Nothing is known about it, it's been found in an old shed that's being torn down by new resident.
(Click for full size pic)
View attachment 414086
Yep!

nonowt

Über Member
I've used citric acid and had good results. It's non toxic too. Mix about 1:10 with warm water and pop your rusty bits into to soak. Give them a scrub with a brush every 10mins or so. Rinse off and dry. Then gets busy with the autosol.

Attachments

• 20170731_233305.jpg
    20170731_233305.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180605_231247.jpg
    20180605_231247.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom