Would you queue for McDonalds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Minced and grilled meats appear in all cuisines on the planet at some point ... ( don't play the veggie / vegan card please) and are a healthy low fat source of protein .... until you slap on the mayo, relish etc etc ..... i am a great fan of the Greek Cypriot 5 course Kebab ... accompanied by the drink of the gods ... Coccinelle red wine .. traditionally served in recycled wine and Jonnie Walker bottles ..... ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The kebab, food of the gods and pretty healthy
On our business trips to the Scottish Borders we used to stop at the same place in Glasgow every time to get kebabs before starting the foot to the floor trip with a laden van for the last ferry on a Friday night. We used to call it the midnight express as it did not get into Craignure until after midnight usually. Mostly locals pushing for home and any tourists who did not give way were harassed mercilessly until they did.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Many years ago I indulged in McDonalds at least once a week. A friend of mine at work told me to try a plain burger from there with no mayo, pickle or the other goo added.
I did and the actual meat patties was as bland as could be. There was probably more taste in the polystyrene box in came in.
That was the end of my affair with fast food burger joints.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Can you tell? :laugh:

I appreciate where you're coming from and have had many similar experiences (although I always went for the independent filth of a kebab-van burger rather than the corporate option). I think the problem is that because people are poorly-educated or lack self-control then tend to eat far too much of this stuff (apparently the concentration of such outlets is apparently typically higher in low-income areas too); a situation furthered by the stranglehold such large corporations have on the market through their advertising..

That's just looking at the impact on the individual before the wider effects of their associated health conditions are considered relative to the health service and wider society, or the ethical issues associated with the supply chain or employment model.

Purely from the perspective of instant gratification I could probably happily smash all of McD's products; however absolutely everything else about them I find repugnant tbh.
I agree that the marketing lowlife tend to prey on the more 'vulnerable' sectors of society but, at least (regardless of what we may think) McDonalds is supplying a more nutritional option than the average Chippy meal or corner shop pastie/pie. The educational side to food is definitely being pushed at us more through tv programmes such as Jamie and Jimmy's kitchen these days and, I believe that if we had a few more of the 'cool' celebrities getting involved the younger generation may start to take note. However, we 'all' still enjoy (and deserve) a naughty treat occasionally and, I'm sure that a McDonalds processed meal once a week is not as bad for your health as drinking wine/beer or smoking cigarettes on a daily basis which the so called 'educated' sector of society tend to do because they have the funds to do so.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Many years ago I indulged in McDonalds at least once a week. A friend of mine at work told me to try a plain burger from there with no mayo, pickle or the other goo added.
I did and the actual meat patties was as bland as could be. There was probably more taste in the polystyrene box in came in.
Yep, absolutely bland.
There’s a very good reason for that, it is 100% pure forequarter beef, no salt, no additives, no fillers, nothing, just pure beef. The rest of the animal is likely to be found in a supermarket as steaks joints etc.
The quality is actually very good.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I agree that the marketing lowlife tend to prey on the more 'vulnerable' sectors of society but, at least (regardless of what we may think) McDonalds is supplying a more nutritional option than the average Chippy meal or corner shop pastie/pie. The educational side to food is definitely being pushed at us more through tv programmes such as Jamie and Jimmy's kitchen these days and, I believe that if we had a few more of the 'cool' celebrities getting involved the younger generation may start to take note. However, we 'all' still enjoy (and deserve) a naughty treat occasionally and, I'm sure that a McDonalds processed meal once a week is not as bad for your health as drinking wine/beer or smoking cigarettes on a daily basis which the so called 'educated' sector of society tend to do because they have the funds to do so.
Agree, McD takes nutrition seriously. There’s an awful lot of bollox aimed at them.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Yep, absolutely bland.
There’s a very good reason for that, it is 100% pure forequarter beef, no salt, no additives, no fillers, nothing, just pure beef. The rest of the animal is likely to be found in a supermarket as steaks joints etc.
The quality is actually very good.

As of 2011 it has improved when it stopped using the pink slime.🧐

Drago

Legendary Member
A young bobby I knew seemed to eat nothing but McDonalds. Died of a heart attack at work aged just 41 a few months back.

I agree with you that they're bland and tasteless. There seems to be a generational divide with older farts like me used to eating more home cooked food dont go for them, but the younger folk who eat more processed food seem happy to eat it.

Top Bottom