FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Why not? What have you booked?
Trains!

I'm a Jonah when it comes to trains.

12:53 - London Kings Cross 14:47 - York Train (GRAND CENTRAL) Coach: F Seat: 07A
&
11:23 - Hull 12:28 - Doncaster Train (NORTHERN) 12:46 - Doncaster 14:26 - London Kings Cross Train (VIRGIN TRAINS EAST COAST) Coach: K Seat: 43
Bike Reservation(s): 1

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Trains!

12:53 - London Kings Cross 14:47 - York Train (GRAND CENTRAL) Coach: F Seat: 07A
&
11:23 - Hull 12:28 - Doncaster Train (NORTHERN) 12:46 - Doncaster 14:26 - London Kings Cross Train (VIRGIN TRAINS EAST COAST) Coach: K Seat: 43
Getting up there very early- planning a spot of sightseeing?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Trains!
&
Bike reservation going north? (can take wheels off and put it in the guards van, carrying wheels into carriage with you if necessary.)

StuAff

That's the plan. I've heard they have a reasonable railway museum thereabouts.
Oh yes, I killed some time at the NWR (first visit in nearly thirty years) on my last trip to York (for the 2015 York-Humber-York day ride) before meeting one of my hosts and riding out to their place. One of the star attractions is the only one of these outside its homeland...
19645045759_fe553acfbe_h.jpg

Wobblers

Euthermic
Thanks for the replies. I would really love to do it but Im more worried it will be too far for my first event 40ish didn't seem so bad but wasn't expecting 70.Sounds like it could be a step too far with only 3 weeks to train up. However i think i will get into training as it does sound good

If you've already done 40 miles before you should be fine. It's more a matter of being comfortable - make sure that any niggles are sorted or they'll become rather more after 60 mles - than endurance. The halfway stop always helps, not least to load up on more carbs and you'll find that there's plenty of encouragement to keep you going. Like you, I'd only done 40 miles before my first FNRttC - a very wet and cold February Brighton FNR - but found my fears of not making the distance - or of falling asleep halfway! - to be unfounded.

I suppose I really ought to pull my finger out and see what the train and ticket situation is like, and sign up. Two questions:

@Flying Dodo, I did press the FNR website PayPal button thingy back in March but haven't heard anything back - I hope that nothing's gone tits-up... or would it be simpler to start over? (I'm hardily going to quibble over £2 - anyway, it means I could complain with impunity :whistle:)

For the purposes of determining timing for advance ticket bookings, is anyone planning on hanging around afterwards for the traditional post ride piss up rehydration and debriefing session?

Vegan1

Thanks for the replies. I would really love to do it but Im more worried it will be too far for my first event 40ish didn't seem so bad but wasn't expecting 70.Sounds like it could be a step too far with only 3 weeks to train up. However i think i will get into training as it does sound good

There is a halfway stop which will break the ride up, it's also flat. Just find a riding partner and chat the night/ride away.

@Flying Dodo, I did press the FNR website PayPal button thingy back in March but haven't heard anything back - I hope that nothing's gone tits-up... or would it be simpler to start over? (I'm hardily going to quibble over £2 - anyway, it means I could complain with impunity :whistle:)
Paging @mmmmartin...

StuAff

If you've already done 40 miles before you should be fine. It's more a matter of being comfortable - make sure that any niggles are sorted or they'll become rather more after 60 mles - than endurance. The halfway stop always helps, not least to load up on more carbs and you'll find that there's plenty of encouragement to keep you going. Like you, I'd only done 40 miles before my first FNRttC - a very wet and cold February Brighton FNR - but found my fears of not making the distance - or of falling asleep halfway! - to be unfounded.
I agree. As I posted in the thread for this very same ride in 2014...
It is a 35 mile ride.

Followed by another one. With tea, sandwiches and cake in between. Do not doubt the restorative power of a cuppa.
The person I was replying to is now going for his third successive year in the imperial century a month challenge ;)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Well if I knew who McWobble's real name was I could tell if the money had come through. I can say that in March 26 people paid, none had names that looked vaguely McScottish although there is a Cycling Tribe that sounds a bit northern....... probs best to email fridaynighridetothecoast at gmail dot com and ask.......

EDIT - cycling tribe is not McWobble.........

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Trains!

&

A little tip, as there are no bike reservations on Northern & 2 bikes only per train (at the conductors discretion), it may be advisable to get on the earlier train from Hull, the 10:58 will get you to Doncaster with an hour to spare, but at least you'll be there & i've heard The Draughtsman on platform 3 is a good stopping point :okay:

Shaun

Founder
Well if I knew who McWobble's real name was I could tell if the money had come through. I can say that in March 26 people paid, none had names that looked vaguely McScottish although there is a Cycling Tribe that sounds a bit northern....... probs best to email fridaynighridetothecoast at gmail dot com and ask.......

cyclingtribe.com is me :whistle: but I go by cyclechat.net too - just to confuse things. :laugh:

Paging @McWobble then! :okay:
To be honest, I think I'd know Andrew's surname if I saw it. Just can't remember it 'cold', like.

Top Bottom