FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A little tip, as there are no bike reservations on Northern & 2 bikes only per train (at the conductors discretion), it may be advisable to get on the earlier train from Hull, the 10:58 will get you to Doncaster with an hour to spare, but at least you'll be there & i've heard The Draughtsman on platform 3 is a good stopping point :okay:
Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like a very sensible plan.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Paging @McWobble then! :okay:
Andrew's surname
Begin with a B? End with a Y?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like a very sensible plan.
Another thought on the matter, the 11:23 service, is also a stopping service & is likely to get busy with prams & other bikes between Goole & Doncaster & I know I'd be on edge if my bike was on a service like that :blush: The 10:58 only stops at 2 stations between Hull & Doncaster, but if you are tired & nod off, you may wake up in Sheffield :laugh:

I last completed this ride in April 2012, after an extended period of no cycling at all over the autumn/winter then just a couple of months of relatively short distances, after my unfortunate DNF on the previous September's version of the ride (when I managed to break my elbow shortly before the off - although I didn't immediately realise this and only decided at Grimston Bar, a couple of miles in, that I was perhaps too injured to ride through the night, instead choosing to spend it in A&E). Despite being fat and woefully unfit, riding a sturdy hybrid, still having the tail end of a shocking cold and having nowhere near enough miles in my legs over the months preceding I successfully got to Hull although I will admit I rode the last 3 miles one-handed and I did find it relatavely challenging.

My first ride at this distance was the daytime recce run for the ride in 2010 (I think) to Cleethorpes when, even without the advantages of a big group of jolly companions (although I did have His Leggship for company) and empty night-time roads I successfully made the jump from 40-50 miles to 70ish. I was a fair bit fitter then, but nonetheless fat and on the sturdy hybrid.

It's surprisingly achievable.

They've resurfaced the worst bits of the B1228 from Grimston Bar to Elvington, btw.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4829267, member: 10119"]They do excellent bike transportation services IME tho. Shout up if you want a snooze spot and feeding your tea?[/QUOTE]
You and your devious cake pushing ways.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4829267, member: 10119"]They do excellent bike transportation services IME tho. Shout up if you want a snooze spot and feeding your tea?[/QUOTE]
That is an offer I doubt I can refuse once the Railway Museum closes for the night....

That is an offer I doubt I can refuse once the Railway Museum closes for the night....
You'd be very welcome. You can join the rather long and ever growing list of forumites, both from here and t'other place, who've kipped in my bed* :biggrin:

*since I'll not be night-riding, I'll have no need of an evening nap so the number of available beds during the evening goes up!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4830437, member: 10119"]You'd be very welcome. You can join the rather long and ever growing list of forumites, both from here and t'other place, who've kipped in my bed* :biggrin:

*since I'll not be night-riding, I'll have no need of an evening nap so the number of available beds during the evening goes up![/QUOTE]
That's very generous. Might I repay your generosity with a bottle of something?

wanda2010

Guru
If you've already done 40 miles before you should be fine. It's more a matter of being comfortable - make sure that any niggles are sorted or they'll become rather more after 60 mles - than endurance. The halfway stop always helps, not least to load up on more carbs and you'll find that there's plenty of encouragement to keep you going. Like you, I'd only done 40 miles before my first FNRttC - a very wet and cold February Brighton FNR - but found my fears of not making the distance - or of falling asleep halfway! - to be unfounded.

I suppose I really ought to pull my finger out and see what the train and ticket situation is like, and sign up. Two questions:

@Flying Dodo, I did press the FNR website PayPal button thingy back in March but haven't heard anything back - I hope that nothing's gone tits-up... or would it be simpler to start over? (I'm hardily going to quibble over £2 - anyway, it means I could complain with impunity :whistle:)

For the purposes of determining timing for advance ticket bookings, is anyone planning on hanging around afterwards for the traditional post ride piss up rehydration and debriefing session?

My train back to The Smoke departs at 1346:eek: In my defense tickets were bought a while back, when this time seemed reasonable.

That's very generous. Might I repay your generosity with a bottle of something?
No need - I drink so infrequently that I end up regifting the majority of the bottles that I can't stop one of my school site managers giving me whenever I fix his laptop for him!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Unashamed bump to knock the upstart from its top spot.

As we were saying - wear something yellow, it's "wear something yellow" day in Hull.

Top Bottom