FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Question for the forum hive mind: is ten minutes to change train at Leeds sufficient when one is encumbered with bike?

Make sure you have a train app on your phone which shows the arrival & departure platforms. That way, if you check your arriving train say about 10 minutes, before you're due in Leeds and also your next one, it gives you a heads-up of the likely way you might have to dash.

But assuming the first train isn't late, then 10 minutes is fine. However, don't faff waiting for a lift if you need to get onto a different part of the station - carry the bike up/down stairs.

CrispyH

Regular
Make sure you have a train app on your phone which shows the arrival & departure platforms. That way, if you check your arriving train say about 10 minutes, before you're due in Leeds and also your next one, it gives you a heads-up of the likely way you might have to dash.

But assuming the first train isn't late, then 10 minutes is fine. However, don't faff waiting for a lift if you need to get onto a different part of the station - carry the bike up/down stairs.

I change at Leeds every morning this morning it took 6 mins from platform 4 to 9. Putting up and putting down a brompton carrying up and down the stairs from furthest parts of the trains. That was without any rushing. So yes easily ok if you know where your train is and your first one isn't late.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Is there a pre-ride gathering point, preferably with food? I'm getting into York about 21.30, too late for museums, perhaps too early for a guest appearance at any of the Stag or Hen parties.

CrispyH

Regular
Some people seem to be leaving Hull as late as 2pm, so clearly expect to inhale a lot of beer. Others are leaving earlier. It's entirely up to you how late you want to stay. However, disappearing 10 - 11 ish or even earlier won't cause offence.

And yes, take a lock. And not a little cable one, as at breakfast the bikes won't be immediately in front of you.

How long are bikes unsupervised. Not sure i have a lock good enough for leaving in a city centre

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
How long are bikes unsupervised. Not sure i have a lock good enough for leaving in a city centre

If we get to Hull around 08:30, then Plan B for breakfast is the Secret Garden Café, which is up on the first floor above Sainsburys. There are a number of stands shown here and also round the corner, opposite the café entrance. So you could always ensure your bike is underneath someone else's bike with a better lock.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Is there a pre-ride gathering point, preferably with food? I'm getting into York about 21.30, too late for museums, perhaps too early for a guest appearance at any of the Stag or Hen parties.

Nick, if you wanted to hang around the station for a few minutes, my train is supposed to arrive 21.37.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
35 signed up so far, so time for a list:

Adam B
Adrian C
Alan B
Andrew B
Andrew C
Barry M
Cathy G
Charles B
Chris H
Christian B
Conrad C
David J
Dawn C
Gavin K
Gordon P
Greg C
Ian M
Ina S
Joyce C
Kim W
Lindsay C
Marcus C
Mary L
Nasir M
Nick B
Paul S
Rajesh J
Rebecca O
Rob W
Sal D
Shaun H
Sonia W
Stuart A
Tilman B
Tim C

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
35 signed up so far, so time for a list:

Adam B
Adrian C
Alan B
Andrew B
Andrew C
Barry M
Cathy G
Charles B
Chris H
Christian B
Conrad C
David J
Dawn C
Gavin K
Gordon P
Greg C
Ian M
Ina S
Joyce C
Kim W
Lindsay C
Marcus C
Mary L
Nasir M
Nick B
Paul S
Rajesh J
Rebecca O
Rob W
Sal D
Shaun H
Sonia W
Stuart A
Tilman B
Tim C

Update - added myself to a late sign up - sorry I've been ill (viral - just done a 55 miler & okay ) ... the form has now been filled in :smile:

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member

If we get to Hull around 08:30, then Plan B for breakfast is the Secret Garden Café, which is up on the first floor above Sainsburys. There are a number of stands shown here and also round the corner, opposite the café entrance. So you could always ensure your bike is underneath someone else's bike with a better lock.

I now use the cycle hub at Hull station, since our secure cycle storage at work was removed :angry:. It's £1 a day & more secure than city centre. If anyone wants to leave their bikes there let me know & I'll see if I can sort a deal out if there's a few :okay: You'll still need a lock, but the area is locked out of hours & staffed during opening times

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I now use the cycle hub at Hull station, since our secure cycle storage at work was removed :angry:. It's £1 a day & more secure than city centre. If anyone wants to leave their bikes there let me know & I'll see if I can sort a deal out if there's a few :okay: You'll still need a lock, but the area is locked out of hours & staffed during opening times
Is it near the likely breakfast venues?

Top Bottom