FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Another unashamed bump in another effort to put this thread in its rightful place....
I've removed my post (which bumped it further) and have now locked the 2014 thread so it can't be bumped back up above this one. :smile:

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I will be riding from Louth in the Lincolnshire Wolds to York on Friday 23rd for this. It's approx 130km so I will expect to arrive late afternoon and would welcome suggestions for where to pass the time, restfully, until 2330 at the Minster

mmmmartin

Random geezer
No doubt @User10119 might reply, as might @GrumpyGregry who seems to be a fan of train museums. There is a plethora of things to do in York, I'd suggest the least attractive option of them all would be to join me and an old friend for some sort of meal in the evening. I arrive at 6.50pm.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Right. After much faffing around with train ticket websites, I've found that getting to York, and back from Hull costs £50 each. Or about £36 all in if I start at Liverpool Lime Street instead of Birkenhead. A single to Liverpool from Birkenhead's £3. Nice to see that the fare system of our wonderful privatised railway is so well designed towards the needs of the passenger, isn't it?

Anyway, enough of the prevaricating: I'm in. Form submitted. Question for the forum hive mind: is ten minutes to change train at Leeds sufficient when one is encumbered with bike?
My train back to The Smoke departs at 1346:eek: In my defense tickets were bought a while back, when this time seemed reasonable.

What could possibly be unreasonable in giving yourself extra rehydration time? My train's likely to be later than that. I fear I may have to persuade @User to indulge in an extra pint...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Right. After much faffing around with train ticket websites, I've found that getting to York, and back from Hull costs £50 each. Or about £36 all in if I start at Liverpool Lime Street instead of Birkenhead. A single to Liverpool from Birkenhead's £3. Nice to see that the fare system of our wonderful privatised railway is so well designed towards the needs of the passenger, isn't it?

Anyway, enough of the prevaricating: I'm in. Form submitted. Question for the forum hive mind: is ten minutes to change train at Leeds sufficient when one is encumbered with bike?

What could possibly be unreasonable in giving yourself extra rehydration time? My train's likely to be later than that. I fear I may have to persuade @User to indulge in an extra pint...
I share your fare pain. Leaving it late to join in the fun has cost me dear. But, wtf, it's a night ride with The Fridays and I've missed too many.

I like railway stations and people watching on them. 10 mins isn't enough ;)

Shaun

Founder
Just looked online & an advance ticket from Hull to Selby is £6 on the 19:59 TPE train, might be even cheaper on the night :okay: or could be £15 :sad: It's upto you guys if you want to chance it, then Selby to York should be cheap :okay: or we will even have time to cycle it?
Just checked - Direct from Hull to York:
Hull to York - 19:59 > 21:10 - £19.80

Split tickets between Selby and York:
Hull to Selby - 19:59 > 20:30 - £6.00
Selby to York - 20:49 > 21:10 - £7.30 = £13.30

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just checked - Direct from Hull to York:
Hull to York - 19:59 > 21:10 - £19.80

Split tickets between Selby and York:
Hull to Selby - 19:59 > 20:30 - £6.00
Selby to York - 20:49 > 21:10 - £7.30 = £13.30

Won't know for certain till I'm back in on Wednesday or Thursday, but I'm confident I can get you Selby to York cheaper than £13.30 :okay: Not sure on the Hull to Selby bit though :blush: If you want to play it safe & pay £6 that'll see you right ^_^

CrispyH

Regular
As this is my first ride
What time is reasonable to book a train back on the Saturday. Not sure how long the breakfast beers go on for normally.
Also is there any need to carry a lock?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
As this is my first ride
What time is reasonable to book a train back on the Saturday. Not sure how long the breakfast beers go on for normally.
Also is there any need to carry a lock?

Some people seem to be leaving Hull as late as 2pm, so clearly expect to inhale a lot of beer. Others are leaving earlier. It's entirely up to you how late you want to stay. However, disappearing 10 - 11 ish or even earlier won't cause offence.

And yes, take a lock. And not a little cable one, as at breakfast the bikes won't be immediately in front of you.

Top Bottom