Your bike in front of a nice/interesting tree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From my Ridgeway ride, my first night’s shelter hung from this lovely thing

you may need to look VERY closely to see the bike but hey, somethings are worth the effort

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Looking a bit gloomy down south. Imminent deluge?
Not sure what happened with the lighting - just shows I'm hopeless taking photos. :smile:
Other pics today seem to represent the clear blue skies well - it was a beautiful day. Thunder & lightning due later in the evening.

beepbeep

The 'spooky tree'... AKA The Laund Oak. I took that photo in 2014 when the tree was just about clinging to life. You can see that it was still producing leaves then. It was thought to be over 700 years old, maybe even 800 years old, and thus one of the oldest trees in England. Unfortunately, in January 2017 it finally lost its battle - ARTICLE.

View attachment 521219

My friend Carrie is the tiny woman in black in that photo. By coincidence, she sent me a picture that she took a few weeks ago showing what is left of the tree now...

View attachment 521222

It looks as though the landowner intends to keep it there because they have erected a symbolic barrier around it.
we call it The Scary Tree round here ( my stomping ground ) :smile:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
by the by avec, am reading a book called mudlarking at the moment - apparently there are trees (admittedly dead) from several thousand years BC regularly exposed at the Thames low tide - still solid/hard. not rotten - just waterlogged. Pepys records seeing such things in his diaries. Erith, maybe your kind of way, apparently a good spot for ancient ancient tree spotting mudlarks.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
by the by avec, am reading a book called mudlarking at the moment - apparently there are trees (admittedly dead) from several thousand years BC regularly exposed at the Thames low tide - still solid/hard. not rotten - just waterlogged. Pepys records seeing such things in his diaries. Erith, maybe your kind of way, apparently a good spot for ancient ancient tree spotting mudlarks.
Thanks, very interesting local history there. Must've been a difficult way to earn a living in times past.

I've noted the book for future reading too.

There are a lot of boat carcasses around here, rotting slowly in the banks (I've posted a couple in the photo section here at CC): you wonder what stories they could tell of where they've been.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@biggs682 Have you visited Cooks Oak, somewhere near Stoke Goldington if I remember correctly... If not, it's within 10 miles of it :laugh:

It's very old, so the story goes.

Top Bottom