Your bike theft experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
Has anyone had a bike stolen that you were certain was pretty secure?

I'm particularly interested in thefts where you used an expensive D-lock, and if a thief managed to cut through it.

Also interested if you've left your bike in the same place for months at a time, and if you've ever had any issues.

Cheers

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ry0swf

MarkF

Guru
Yep, I left a bike Barcelona in my pals workshop unit. In a bike bag and chained to a pipe on top of an interior office. Some Cuban gangsters moved in locally from Germany, they set up all sorts of rackets via ultra violence, they stole my pal's business, his house and life and generally ram amok. One stole and used my bike my bike. It caused me much stress, fright and money and took me 3 trips from September 2010 to October 2012 to get my hands on it again. Beat that. :sad:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I had someone pull the bannisters off the wall to get my bike plus D-lock at uni.

My other theft was when my landlady de-cluttered the fairly large hallway and left my bike outside. Probably lasted 20 minutes.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Tri-bike was stolen from a locked out-building that you could only access from the kitchen. Bolted to the wall was a galvanised metal bike box and the bike was locked to 2 rings that had been put in the wall. The other side of that wall was a securely locked workshop, which was alarmed. The back door to the kitchen was securely locked and there was my ex RAF GSD behind it and a couple of Jack Russells

I went to San Francisco on a work's jolly for 4 for days and when I got back the bike had been nicked. My ex husband said that he had no idea what had happened to it. I went to the police but they said that as my ex had probably sold it and that as I was still married to him that they couldn't do anything about it.
I divorced him and took half the house.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not so far, but if they go, I have done the best I can.

My commuter is out in non secure situations occasionally, but its outside a reception area. I leave it in a shelter regular, but any equipped thief could smash the polycarbonate cover easily. My bike is as secure as I can make it. The locks are very heavy though. Never mind, good training.

Top Bottom