Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A pair of blue tits has set up home in our camera nest box on the cherry tree. They started building their nest a couple of days ago, exactly two years after the last pair did the same, and they’ve been absolutely manic. The tiny camera in the roof of the box has an IR illuminator that cuts in when there's

low light, but it only gives monochrome images. The rather Mickey Mouse system doesn’t give digital images……I just take photos of the TV screen we use as a monitor for the camera.
The last pair had ten chicks that hatched. Seven of them died in the nest on one night, probably due to a mite infestation. The other three were killed by a jay and our neighbour’s particularly repulsive cat within two days of leaving the nest. It was heart-breaking. We’re keeping our fingers crossed for this couple and their brood.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
A pair of blue tits has set up home in our camera nest box on the cherry tree. They started building their nest a couple of days ago, exactly two years after the last pair did the same, and they’ve been absolutely manic. The tiny camera in the roof of the box has an IR illuminator that cuts in when there's View attachment 513844

low light, but it only gives monochrome images. The rather Mickey Mouse system doesn’t give digital images……I just take photos of the TV screen we use as a monitor for the camera.
The last pair had ten chicks that hatched. Seven of them died in the nest on one night, probably due to a mite infestation. The other three were killed by a jay and our neighbour’s particularly repulsive cat within two days of leaving the nest. It was heart-breaking. We’re keeping our fingers crossed for this couple and their brood.

I remember years ago when nest box cameras were just becoming available a guy had a website (http://www.mybitoftheplanet.com/ - it's still there but not been updated for years) showing the wildlife in his garden and he rigged up a camera on the nest box and streamed it live. hardly anyone else was doing anything like it at the time. It was so exciting to see the chicks hatch.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Our garden has been mega busy today

This beefly started the day.

And this blue tit and it's mate finished it .

In between these we have had sparrows, magpies , robins , pigoens , big bumbly bee's and dunnocks . ^_^

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Merle enjoying his second (or maybe third) breakfast of the day. Impatient and demanding little so and so, comes and stares through the kitchen window first thing, sits on the hose reel and clucks when we're out in the garden, because feeding him is obviously far more important than anything else we might be doing. He's not quite finger tame, not that we want him to be, but very bold nonetheless.

figbat

Slippery scientist
All the usuals today: squirrels, tits, finches, blackbirds etc. Then something flashes past the bottom of the patio door - the wife also saw it and identified it as a rat. Not sure how I feel about that.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Merle enjoying his second (or maybe third) breakfast of the day. Impatient and demanding little so and so, comes and stares through the kitchen window first thing, sits on the hose reel and clucks when we're out in the garden, because feeding him is obviously far more important than anything else we might be doing. He's not quite finger tame, not that we want him to be, but very bold nonetheless.
View attachment 515428

They can get terribly annoyed if you're not quick enough feeding them, can't they? Mine have a routine of flying back and forward past the window to attract my attention. They're feeding chicks at the minute.

Top Bottom