Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We spent two and a half hours today watching the seals at Horsey Gap and it was fantastic .

We will be going again but earlier is November as they reckon to have over 2000 then .

gbb

Legendary Member
On today's ride, nice and bright day, Peterborough to Stilton, round a few villages, 90% of it through quiet farmland, Red Kite and Buzzard are plenty, you will often see them on the ground and today I saw what appeared to be a buzzard at the verge of a field / ditch...but it had a very distinctive white rump, get my camera out for a photo...and off it went before I had chance to even get a poor shot at distance. So, possibly a hen harrier.
Ironically, less than a mile later, a buzzard in similar circumstances, took off as I approached, as said earlier, a modestly regular thing to see.

albal

Guru
A beautiful day walking with the group brought sightings of : cormerant shag redshank turnstone Brent geese r b merganser water rail goldeneye gulls (various) oystercatcher gc grebe chiff chaff Siberian chif chaff goldcrest wren Grey wagtail blue/ long tailed tit jay . I don't own a mega camera so no close up pictures sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_0834500.jpg
    IMG_20200118_0834500.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1

philk56

Guru
Before I head back to Oz next week I took a day trip to Brighton and viewed the daily evening starling murmuration. Apparently there aren't so many this year but it was still a spectacular show, lasting nearly an hour before they roost under the pier for the night. The photos don't really do it justice.
2020-01-24_163851D75_030190.jpg

2020-01-24_163651D75_030172.jpg
2020-01-24_163955D75_030213.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's about this time of year that the birds coming to the feeder start to become a bit more interesting

Through the autumn and first part of the winter it's blue tits, great tits, coal tits, goldfinches, dunnocks, robins, the odd bullfinch

But as winter drags on, what seems to happen is the natural food in the woodlands nearby gets eaten and it forces other species into the garden from Feb until about May

This has started. Lesser Redpolls have been turning up. Two or three of them. There was a stonking male greenfinch this morning, haven't seen one in the garden for ages. Redpoll numbers will increase to May, then they disappear. Should be some siskins in March, not yet

Oxford Dave

Saw a badger happily ambling along the side of the road a mile or so from home when returning from London at 2 AM a couple of days ago.

Spring is sprunging,

Beautiful daughter got quite upset the other day because someone was walking through a grove of trees and stepping on the snowdrops.

Speaking of Beautiful daughter, when I went to pick her up today there was a Red Kite riding the wind, very low over the kindergarten. fifty-odd parents and kids right below and I was the only one who happened to be facing the right direction to see it. (because I was late. Shhh....)

Top Bottom