Your number one fear with cycling ?

What is your number one fear with cycling ?

• Getting run over

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • Getting your cycle stolen

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Getting caught in a downpour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Getting too old to be able to ride

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • Getting a puncture

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

2040574 said:
Is this bike thieving asylum seekers or just asylum seekers who might be bike thieves?

Just an all round, low-level fear of them which happens when I'm cycling and at all other times.

I could have added paedos and old people and young people as well I suppose.

Life on and off the bike is a terrifying thing.

mangaman

Out of control dogs and murderers.

Dogs and their owners.

Before I am besiyged with criticism, I know the dogs know no better and most dog owners are responsible - but having been 3 times attacked by the animals, all of whose owners' insisted were loveable but playful, I disagree.

One of the dogs bit a large chunk from my leg and was put down.

The other 2 were just out of control,. off the lead, on shared use paths with clear signage that dogs should be on leads..

The irony is I live in the country, with about a billion acres of free land for dog owners to use - but they clog up the 2 usefullish shared use cycle paths we have

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Dogs and their owners.

Before I am besiyged with criticism, I know the dogs know no better and most dog owners are responsible - but having been 3 times attacked by the animals, all of whose owners' insisted were loveable but playful, I disagree.

The other 2 were just out of control,. off the lead, on shared use paths with clear signage that dogs should be on leads..

The irony is I live in the country, with about a billion acres of free land for dog owners to use - but they clog up the 2 usefullish shared use cycle paths we have

Try eating garlic and marmite. Apparently you are what you eat and they don't like their dinners tasting of these. It might work with dogs :biggrin:

NB: Not so sure about bovril though. Can you give that one a go first and report back ? ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Just an all round, low-level fear of them which happens when I'm cycling and at all other times.

I could have added paedos and old people and young people as well I suppose.

Life on and off the bike is a terrifying thing.

I have to differ here.
I've travelled all over the place, on and off bikes. I've seen people come off, I've arrived at restaurants which were fully-booked weeks before, I've stayed at hotels where the restaurant was closed that night and the nearest one was 5 miles away and 400m lower down, I've got to campsites that were full, and got fearsomely lost on many occasions. Every time, someone's gone out of their way to sort me out.
The world is full of people who will help you when you need them.

DeepBurn

Über Member
I have to differ here.
I've travelled all over the place, on and off bikes. I've seen people come off, I've arrived at restaurants which were fully-booked weeks before, I've stayed at hotels where the restaurant was closed that night and the nearest one was 5 miles away and 400m lower down, I've got to campsites that were full, and got fearsomely lost on many occasions. Every time, someone's gone out of their way to sort me out.

I have to agree - in my opinion (& experience) most people in the World are good people willing to help others.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Best not to pay too much attention to the negatives :smile:

I was really asking for just one thing which people considered to be an issue to them personally in relation to cycling
I wasn't asking for a raft of excuses, or reasons to hate anyone else in this thread

Wobblers

Euthermic
None of them.

The mild worry I have - I certainly wouldn't describe it as "fear" - is a high speed crash, not so much for the inevitable pain and inconvenience but because of the possibility of an extended lay-off from the bike.

Asd for all this harping on about "fear" -why?

I don't fear going to the shops, why the f*** would I fear getting on a bike??

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Dogs and their owners.

Last Saturday i was driving along a road with a cycle lane. As i turned a bend i was confronted by two women who must have had 7 dogs between them, walking towards oncoming traffic in the cycle lane even though there's a perfectly good pavement on the other side. What could've happened if i'd have been cycling i shudder to think! How can anyone be so bloody stupid, and selfish?!:ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Last Saturday i was driving along a road with a cycle lane. As i turned a bend i was confronted by two women who must have had 7 dogs between them, walking towards oncoming traffic in the cycle lane even though there's a perfectly good pavement on the other side. What could've happened if i'd have been cycling i shudder to think! How can anyone be so bloody stupid, and selfish?!:ohmy:
[lefty liberal wishy-washy twaddle deleted]

It's full of idiots too!!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom