Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no idea what goes on my head sometimes, ok most of the time, tonight at 5.30 it is of course dark and it is also cold, if fact zero on the weather station but I needed to ride after being trapped indoors all day. Dressed to kill then, buff, beanie and cap, short sleeved top and windproof, longs and foot covers. I wanted to make this reasonably hard because if I don't, a] I will freeze and b] it will get even harder to keep up with the better half. As usual I have no idea where I am going, just make it up as I go along tailoring the ride to the time I have available. After 12 miles I am beginning to push which was just as well because it began to snow, Eeek! not forecast and the quicker I went the harder it snowed, with 4 miles to go I joined another road and I had a chance meet up with another serial nutter, a friend of mine who is a road racer, together we pounded the last 4 and a bit miles back into Oakham. A good workout of 18 miles, but 5 mins later and it would have been dodgy to say the least.
Rutland is white again. Might get some pics tomorrow.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did 30 laps(19 miles)round my local park yesterday. It's on a fairly steep hill so it's quite a challenge. Boring to some but it's quiet up there and free from heavy traffic so it makes a nice change. It was damn cold though,my fingers and face took some defrosting when i got home.:cold:
Well, I should imagine that it is quiet when it is this cold.

It's a bit 'busier' when it is warmer though ...! :laugh:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode out this morning on MTB to do some errands ( bank, building society, council office & library ).
Then when all that was finished did a short loop out to Ram Hill.

Along the Westerleigh Greenway where I just crossed the level crossing before a train was leaving the oil terminal.

image.jpg

Then along the RUPP between Westerleigh village & Ram Hill, crossed the railway bridge to join up with a part of the Dramway.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Back through Henfield passing the Kendleshire golf course.
20kms in cold but sunny conditions.

thetribe

Über Member
Went out to try and do 20miles in the cold, found my cold weather gear was doing it's job admirably and ended up doing 37.5 miles :thumbsup:

Popped into my Mam's for a cuppa and a toilet stop, the cold definitely affected those bits. Got a few pics while heading up the coast but then my damn phone went into awkward mode half way round and switched off and refused to turn back on. Had a canny pic lined up of a shed in a place I'd not seen one before, even though I've regularly cycled past (upside down in the hedge of a farmers field)

10949098_807003706050272_1275470058_n.jpg

Coquet Island, off the coast of Amble, Northumberland on NCN1 (looks a lot warmer than it actually was ^_^)

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4054934

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Afternoon ride for me today, and not a fun one. Normally I ride in the morning, after eating porridge etc, and it works well. Afternoon rides are always tough since lunch is normally sandwiches, and I really need to have something else if I know I'm out riding afterwards..
Anyway, the CX came out since the road bike is part way through having mudguards fitted, and I headed out through Virginia Water, then new roads for me into Ascot. Into WGP via Dukes Lane and at only 10 miles I was really struggling. 2 packets of Haribos got be started again, had some interested parties after my food, not sure how they'd have gotten on with cola bottles...
3 Feb 2015 Frozen Ducks.jpg

A rare pedal along the bottom part of the lake past the ruins and Cascade before home.
28 miles, would have loved to start the month with a metric half, but just didn't have it in me today.

ColinJ

A short report, #3 in the series of 'ColinJ does West Yorkshire rides on crisp, sunny winter afternoons'!

I fancied a change from Cragg Road and Blackstone Edge so I headed off in the opposite direction this afternoon.

My route: Hebden Bridge, Keighley Road (A6033), Oxenhope, Haworth Brow, Haworth, Penistone Hill, Oxenhope, back on the A6033 over Cock Hill to Hebden Bridge, round the block a few times to warm my legs up after a very chilly 7.5 km descent!

Distance, 32 km (20 miles).

Tougher than it sounds because of the usual lumpiness! Here is the ride profile:

HB-Haworth-HB profile.gif

A couple of photographs of the Worth Valley above Haworth, taken from the side of Penistone Hill:

Worth Valley from Penistone Hill Haworth in winter #1.jpg

Worth Valley from Penistone Hill Haworth in winter #2.jpg

Many thanks to the West Yorkshire gritting crews who have done a fine job keeping ice-free the roads that I have been riding recently! :cheers:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Afternoon ride for me today, and not a fun one. Normally I ride in the morning, after eating porridge etc, and it works well. Afternoon rides are always tough since lunch is normally sandwiches, and I really need to have something else if I know I'm out riding afterwards..
Anyway, the CX came out since the road bike is part way through having mudguards fitted, and I headed out through Virginia Water, then new roads for me into Ascot. Into WGP via Dukes Lane and at only 10 miles I was really struggling. 2 packets of Haribos got be started again, had some interested parties after my food, not sure how they'd have gotten on with cola bottles...
View attachment 78807
A rare pedal along the bottom part of the lake past the ruins and Cascade before home.
28 miles, would have loved to start the month with a metric half, but just didn't have it in me today.
Ah, go on - a few quick spins around the block this evening will get those last three miles under your belt. It'll still count! :thumbsup:

ColinJ

MY ride photos are taken using the camera on my tiny Xperia Ray smartphone. They are not perfect, but not bad coming from such a convenient little device. Anyway, I was just checking to see what some alerts were and they led me back to my post above about today's ride. I was looking at my photos and thinking how blurred they were and wondering why I hadn't noticed when I posted them. I eventually realised that I had my reading glasses balanced on top of my head ...! :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did 30 laps(19 miles)round my local park yesterday. It's on a fairly steep hill so it's quite a challenge. Boring to some but it's quiet up there and free from heavy traffic so it makes a nice change. It was damn cold though,my fingers and face took some defrosting when i got home.:cold:
Well it wasn't quiet on Tuesday! The sun was shining so i took my mutt for a walk up there. Cars parked up all around and dogs allowed to roam free in the road by their owners!:thumbsdown:
Well, I should imagine that it is quiet when it is this cold.

It's a bit 'busier' when it is warmer though ...! :laugh:

Well it wasn't quiet on Tuesday! The sun was shining so i took my mutt for a walk up there. Cars parked up all around and dogs allowed to roam free in the road by their owners! I'm glad i wasn't cycling!:thumbsdown:

Edit....Ah i see what you're getting at,i've just read your link.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Another bloody chilly stupid 'o' clock start for me this morning. And when I made to to the science park where I work I nearly got wiped out by the only car I'd seen all ride, since the main drag. I had a look over my shoulder, and there was a car about 200 yards behind me I took up the primary. I put my right arm out to signal my right turn I was about to make, into my work's car park, and the silly €€$% actually passed me, under my arm to the right. I was wearing my incredibly reflective new proviz silver jacket, my bright rear lights were clearly visible, and he still did something that incredibly stupid. I shall go looking for the vehicle in question, and when I locate it, I shall enquire at the company, in who's car park I find it (there are only two company's who operate at the same time's as we do on the park) as to what the Sam bloody hill, they thought they were doing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/250160770

Top Bottom