Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You wouldn't wanna be undead at this time of year would you...
20150201_104721.jpg

35 cold, hilly, cold miles.

mooseracer

Guru
Couldn't decide where to ride this morning so ended up doing a shorter version of yesterday's ride.

57 miles still with a cold, strong wind. https://www.strava.com/activities/248552355

Shared a mid-ride banana with this fella

Attachments

• Cotswold-20150201-00017.jpg
    Cotswold-20150201-00017.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 58

Simontm

Veteran
Had a free day today so thought I'd just head out and see where it took me.

Walton, Weybridge, Addlestone, Woking later I hit Guildford now I thought the climb up Warren Hill was a shock to the system of this ex-forward but about ten minutes later Coombe Lane :ohmy:

Now I know you skinny, masochistic types (especially those from that there North) will be thinking an av 7.2% grade is nothing but this was the first time I'd done it and a big bloke designed for sprinting, by George!!!! Oh, and I know you can't read minds but apologies to those freewheeling down and smiling for the uncharitable words thought as you passed :cursing::laugh:

Ended up in a tandem with a lady on a red Spesh at Cobham and apologies to her if she's on here. I overtook her in Cobham then she slotted in behind me up towards Fairmile before passing me with a lovely smile. But then the flat and the dips. Was quite happy to be overtaken but give me the chance to have a sprint then go barmy on the big cog then I'll take it. Nowt to do with male pride being hurt! ^_^

I guess she turned off before Esher.

Lovely ride, a bit cold, and I am definitely not designed for hills!

13 rider

Guru
51.07 miles my longest ride to date .set off from home Anstey 7 mile ride to sileby to pick up mate then set off to Walton on the wolds ,Stanford on soar ,normanton on soar. Stopped at normanton to watch air ambulance land at the sailing club where there some sports pitches not sure what had happened ,off to Sutton bonnington ,Kingston on soar,Gotham( no sign of batman),E Leake ,Costock,Wysall,Willoughby on the wolds,Sileby where dropped mate off and headed home via Cossington,Rothley,Cropston and home .enjoyable ride this week despite the cold blustery wind which made some stretches at bit off a grind lower average speed of 12.9 but got home just tired instead off last week shattered

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
A trip out with the cycle club again today. We cycled across Bristol and over the Clifton Suspension Bridge for the coffee stop at the Ashton Court Cafe. Temperature was very cold, but didn't feel too much with the gear I was wearing. When we came out of the cafe there were a few small flakes of snow in the air. We descended from the heights of Ashton Court to follow festival way cycle path, across the swing bridge at the floating harbout and on over to Temple Meads to pick up the Bristol-Bath Cycle Path. At the diversion for the closed tunnel we then headed on through Downend to pick up the ring road path before finally heading back to Bradley Stoke. The ride was published at 20 miles but we ended up doing 25 miles which turned into a bit of an endurance ride as I had taken the heavier mountain bike.

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/249065821/overview

Hugs
Archeress x

MikeW-71

Veteran
Had to get out in the beaming sunshine today. A lot of the ice has cleared away, but I still ended up having to be super-careful on a shady back road.

Stopped at Talkin Tarn for a coffee, and I must have surprised the girls there by arriving by bike, (or maybe it was the tights...) there was a bit of giggling going on :biggrin: Glad I provided some comic relief :thumbsup:

Finished off with a run around through Brampton and Irthington to get in 31 freezing miles :cold: My toes are thawing out now.

Not a day I would describe as easy for riding, low temperatures, 3C when we set off just after 11am, the wind however was another matter entirely, close to gale force and a real challenge on fixed. As it was coming from the north that is the direction we set off in, unfortunately dr_pink suffers from Raynaud's and after just 2 miles with the wind chill taking the temp to well below zero she turned back to do a long session on the rollers. I kept going as the cold doesn't bother me too much. After 21 miles directly into the wind, at times down to 8mph I finally turned into a cross wind for a few miles, my average speed up to the turn was just 12.6mph, tough going but perversely enjoyable. I did not stop to take any pics as it was just too cold, the only one I took was that of yet another Rutland traffic jam,
C8739BDA-60C7-4BA1-9D9C-B9AAFA2F546D_zps1n9ncon1.jpg

When I got back 51 miles later, dr_pink had done 2 hours of intervals on the rollers and it occurred to me that she probably wasn't too far behind me in mileage terms and worked a damn sight harder The other thing to note was that I only saw 2 others out on bikes when normally there would be 30 or 40 on a good day.

thetribe

Über Member
4 Miles & A Pint!

Got out today when the wind dropped to blowy rather than just a gale, my better half finally got out for a full ride, we just did a short ride round the local lake, as there's a nice stop for refreshments at the far end.
IMG_9785.JPG IMG_9790.JPG

Maybe we should have had a hot drink rather than the cold one, cos it was very cold, but we're back to work tomorrow so what the hell! :thumbsup:

https://www.strava.com/activities/249107318

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
None,full of snot all week and woke up at 4am with a temperature so I dosed up and went back to bed, htfu can go f off today.This is what happens when you take kid swimming as he's been off school on antibiotics as well.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just 16 miles here today. The earlier sleet subsided. so managed a loop out on the Fen taking in Wicken as I often do.
A lot of my usual routes are farm tracks and bridleways and are pretty much unrideable now as they're so muddy. Could do with a proper freeze really so i could use them again. It would also make the snow tyres I've fitted worthwhile!

The mud does limit my winter routes locally but out on the Fen the roads are pretty quiet and the Lodes Way is largely car free anyway. Bliss.

Near Wicken I heard bullfinch nearby- they're my favourites and incredibly rare around here. I was trying to spot them when a friend cycled past and stopped to chat. Luckily the bullfinches revealed themselves and he saw them too - a first for him.

Stopped for a cuppa at one of my favourite spots.
image.jpg

Just the one photo- it was too cold to stop to take any more. It was nice to get home in daylight still at about 4-45.
Got quite cold at one point so I rode home non-stop for the last 8 miles to warm up and was absolutely boiling at the end. It's tricky to get the clothing right in this weather.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With Steve Abraham knocking out 190+ milers every day what ever the weather for his challenge. To cancel a pootling ride to the seaside and back for a big fry up was always going to be a no-no. The weather forecast was snow, sleet, rain and minus temperatures, it would have been easy to cancel the ride. Lot's of questions were asked on book of face. But being ever the optimist it was 'let's just get out there and see'.

So at 7.30am I met @Mista Preston and @iLB just local for a 15 mile warm up ride to Borough Green in Kent to meet @Trickedem and @rb58 . It was cold, the cloud cover was heavy and dark and it was bloody windy. The wind on our backs helped us to Borough Green pretty quickly and once the gang had met up, in the words of the mighty dellzeqq it was "OK, We're on our way". Saying goodbye to iLB's at Hollingbourne as he had to get home for a prior engagement, it was decided to take the non-Hollingborne route. It didn't take long to get to Whitstable. Some main road and good, clear country lanes and the wind on our backs made for rapid progress, reaching the Waterfront at 11.30am on the dot.

You can't really see it in the pic, but there were some mighty big waves crashing ashore.
010215 Whitstable.jpg

A couple of 'famous' Waterfront Big brekkies and beans on toast and cake for a couple of others demolished, it was time to head back. Into a raging headwind. It really was tough work and tough going, but you just have to put your head down and keep turning those pedals. Even down some of the descents it was a case of having to keep peddling. But the predicted snow, sleet and rain stayed away. It was still very cold though.

We left Trickdem at Rochester as he was near enough home, but not until he took this pic. rb58, myself and Mista Preston (cheers for the pic TD)
10369128_10153132253612578_6293683429592469286_n.jpg

It was still a good 25 miles of cycling into a raging headwind. But we all got there. The rolling hills of the Medway Towns and once across the Medway, the Southern Estuary towns made for slow progress. On a non windy day these are usually dispatched without even touching the sides. Under the Queen Elizabeth II bridge at Dartford and it was a short hop home for the rest if us.

So... 117 hard going miles and for 4 of us, February's ride completed for the 2015 Century a month challenge.
My legs really are feeling it and are enjoying the rest...... but Steve Abraham is still out there cycling for his challenge.

010215 whitstable.jpg

Last edited:

Osprey

Guru
Early morning ride down the estuary with a stiff northerly side wind making the forecast 3° feel more like -3°. A laboured climb through the lanes up onto the barren Welsh Moor into the face of the motherly wind. At this point the rain started to fall quickly turning to sleet. With no shelter there was no option but to move on through the slush lined road. Off the moor and through the farm lanes the sun came out and sleet stopped but the wind chill still was still present. Decided to cut the loop short and head off home. 15 miles and 1600 feet of climbing, cold and wet but still enjoyed the ride and post ride bike clean.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, that's the second leg of my century a Month Challenge out of the way nice and early before Winter returns with a vengeance. Did the Windrush Winter Warm-up for the fifth year in a row, and as usual it was damn cold. I was layered up like Scott of the Antarctic, which seemed like a good idea at the time, as I had cramped up a bit towards the end last time out. Turns out I overdid it with the overtrousers, which made it a bit of a slog.

21 Windrush Winter warm-up.jpg
Set off from Ashton Keynes pavillion down muddy and slippery lanes, and sure enough someone came to grief almost straight away. I took all the corners extremely carefully for the first 6 miles, which I had driven yesterday when I took the Missus out to Cirencester for the day. Not much ice left, but enough for me never to take my eyes off the road for more than a second at any time.

22 At Stanton Harcourt Contol.jpg

People on the audax circuit are starting to recognise me in my "Fat Lad" kit that I save for audaxes, and quite a few had a quick chat this time. Met a few who had done last week's audax, (Hi, Vicky) and Louise, the petite wife of one of the organisers (and who I had met on the Silk Run last year), took advantage of my size and slipstreamed me into the wind for 10 miles or so. Otherwise I reckon she might have been blown over a hedge today. I eventually ended up riding the whole of the last 50 miles with a great guy called Pete from Tunbridge Wells, who turned out to me my ideal riding partner, perfectly matched for pace and ability and with the gift of the gab. 50 miles of sparkling conversation helped to alleviate the misery of a strong, cold, North wind that sapped our energy unremittingly.
23 Pete from Tunbridge wells.jpg

We finally checked in at the last control at the end of this 68 miler, 6 hrs 30 mins after the start. I'll settle for that in the conditions. That includes a couple of tea breaks - including a nice bacon butty at Sherborne - where I also had the added bonus of seeing the Villa (Booo!) start to get tonked at Arsenal on the big plasma screen. We finished ahead of at least a couple of dozen others, and some were still finishing half an hour later. After a big meal and a hot bath, my next challenge is to stay up for the Superbowl tonight without pushing out Zzzzzs in front of my mates.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom