Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It's raining and horrible out there. The last mile and a half today were soggy and very very cold. I needed to ride 8.5 something today to reach my January 100 mile target that I set for myself. I was only a bit adrift, so after work - when it was rather warm and sunny - we changed and headed off out.

The plan was to ride to Taverham and back but the temperature dropped as the sun went in and the blue skies vanished. We got as far as Drayton and said 'stuff this' and headed back. Knowing full well that it's only 5 and a bit miles there and back we went straight on (ish) at the end of our bit of the Marriotts Way and headed toward Sloughbottom Park on the outskirts of the city. Once at the park gate we went right instead of left into the park, up the wee hill which I am sure isn't quite that sharp when I'm walking the dogs, and then right again and followed the path to Waterworks Road. Along this path, we stopped for 5 minutes and chatted with a nice lady with a big shaggy Lurcher, a gorgeous black Greyhound and a little Lhasa Apso type dog, all bundled up in their duvet coats.

From Waterworks Road we could have gone straight over the roundabout, up the hill and to home but felt that it would leave us nearly half a mile adrift, and going straight over that roundabout and dying was not on my 'to do' list today. We went left at the roundabout - there is 40 yards of cycle path for this very purpose, and up that hill instead then turned right at the lights onto Bowthorpe Road and along to where the cycle path starts again. Hubster spotted a brand new LBS - or at least one we've never noticed before - but it was raining quite hard now and our feet were very cold in their thermal socks so we didn't hang about.

We got home just as it really decided to stair rod down and are now in the warm with a cuppa.
8.64 miles averaging 10.7mph, which we are happy with. The mud on the marriotts was horrible, like cycling through porridge. Mmmmm porridge, there's a thought.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Short 3.5 miles this morning in the sleet to get bread, all my wet weather gear kept me dry-ish. Not long after I got home the sleet stopped so I set out on my proper ride, target today of 27 miles which would see my 2nd month of hitting 500km. Started out OK, cold for the first couple of miles out through Chertsey but by the time I got to Weybridge I was nice and warm. Back across Walton Bridge, and then through Shepperton before stopping in on Dad for a free coffee:smile: Felt cold again after leaving there, and not long after the rain started. I stopped at Egham to get my wets on, then headed out through Virginia Water and Lyne before getting home.
Pleased to report the Decathlon £20 rain jacket kept me dry, even if the £4 Sports Direct over trousers didn't..
27 miles done, and so far meeting my stretched stretch target of 10 miles a day average. My aim is 2400 miles this year, 3000 would be nice, 10 a day average better.
After today I am really looking forward to a bit of warmer weather:sun::sun:

Rustybucket

Veteran
https://www.strava.com/activities/248459266

I really wanted to complete the strava 100km Gran Fondo every month and left it till today to do January. Not in the spirit of a Gran fondo - but decided just to do richmond park - as it was snowing and didnt want to risk icy roads. All I can say is that i have only just about thawed through. got to about -3 degrees! Had snow & cold icy rain - I was freezing and couldnt feel my hands or feet at the end, but really glad I got it done. Saw some poor chap standing at the side of the road puzzled as he had snapped his handle bars in half! Also saw some crazy people just going round in shorts!!!

Im off to eat alot of food and sit by the fire!

fatjel

Veteran
Club easy ride today . Start in Cranbrook 10 am. All the info I had. As I left home it started snowing .
Found the guys in only the second car park I looked in . Went to Tenterton for bacon and eggs then
home again 36 miles in all and a surprising 512m climbing
Bad weather and hills in Kent !!!
https://app.strava.com/activities/248555078

Only 393 miles for January long way off my 10,000 mile target for the year... must try harder

In my defence I did go away for a week. it was cold.. I had a new bike to mend and one day I had a headache

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pretty much one of my standard routes, but it is an excuse to post some pictures of snowy hilltops, so here's a little report ...

It was about 2 degrees here today with a cold WNW wind blowing, but more importantly - the sun was shining. I knew it would be lovely up on the tops and I judged that the lanes would probably be passable with care, so I headed up there to check 'em out.

I was just going to do my 23 mile Cragg Vale/Steep Lane loop but it was so nice that I added the steep climb of Midgley Road, and then returned via Height Road and Pecket Well, bringing my total for the day to 43 km (27 miles). I am way down on my daily target forJanuary, but I was ill at the end of December/early January and the weather has been iffy, so I don't feel too bad yet. If it went on for a few months, I would, but my cycling should pick up in February ready for my forum rides starting in March.

I wore full winter gear, and never felt overdressed for the whole ride so I was a bit shocked by what I saw ... I was only 25 minutes into my ride and still feeling a bit chilled when a younger guy rode past WEARING SHORTS! The air temperature was a couple of degrees above freezing, but there has been a stiff, cold. blustery wind blowing all day so the windchill made it feel well below freezing. From Blackstone Edge, he would have had a 30-50 mph descent, depending which way he turned. The windchill on that was bad enough for me, suitably dressed as I was. In shorts - NO WAY! :eek:

The folly of youth! Maybe he felt ok down in the shelter of the valley when he set off? That is at about 100 metres above sea level and it didn't feel too bad in the sun, out of the wind. The road was going up to nearly 400 metres above sea level though, and it was altogether different up there.

So, here are some of my photos ...

Chilly winter wind makes waves on Blackstone Edge Reservoir.jpg

You can see the wind whipping up the surface of the reservoir.

I took a left at the top and descended to my left turn on Blue Ball Lane. The windchill was horrid and my ears took a battering, even with a Gore skullcap half covering them. I don't really like completely covering my ears because it cuts awareness of approaching vehicles, but in this case I think I should have covered my ears for the descent. My right ear still hasn't properly recovered over 3 hours after getting home!

I was crossing my fingers that the lanes would be clear. They had been properly gritted the last time I went up there, but we have had a lot of snow on high roads since then.

Slushy lane - proceed with caution.jpg

Yeah, I was right - pretty good to ride on, though that made things slightly riskier by lulling me into a false sense of security. After a couple of Close Encounters of the Slushy Kind on twisty descents, I slowed down and took no chances.

Well, I tried not to take any chances. The thing is - everywhere looked so lovely, I just kept getting distracted by the scenery! It's amazing how much difference the sun makes. If it had been overcast, I would have hated it up there in the cold. With sunshine - great!

When taking the above photo, I was suddenly overcome by the urge to see if I could take a well-framed selfie including my bike, the snowy scenery, and me sporting the latest in designer CycleChat buffs. Spot the deliberate mistake ...:whistle:

I think the picture turned out well though, considering I could not see what I was doing up there.

Ha ha - so much for the CycleChat buff selfie.jpg

Onwards ...

I stopped to take another picture when I was particularly taken by the view over snow-covered hilltops all the way to the Yorkshire TV mast at Emley Moor, near Wakefield.

View over snow-covered hills to Emley Moor.jpg

And here is the last one that I took ...

Yorkshire lane on a sunny winter day.jpg

I would have liked to have taken more, but stopping every few minutes and taking my gloves off was making my hands and feet really cold!

After more chilly descending, I found myself back in Mytholmroyd.

As mentioned above - I decided to go the hard way home - up a steep climb, along, then down, rather than just going the obvious way along the A646 to Hebden Bridge.

I had toyed with the idea of riding up the Keighley Road from Pecket Well to the summit at Cock Hill to check out the snow, but I was feeling a bit chilled and had things to do, so I turned left instead and prepared to ignite the afterburners for a fast 2 km descent to town. That plan was foiled by a couple of scaredy-cat drivers ahead of me. There were going so slowly that I was able to catch them within a few hundred metres, but just a bit too quickly for me to safely overtake with oncoming traffic. My bike is undergeared for that - I spin out its top gear (52/14) at about 35 mph so it isn't a lot of use for overtaking vehicles doing 30 mph!

Well, that's January done ... I would like February to be sunny, dry, mild and wind-free please! :thumbsup:

PS Oh yes - my camera phone worked perfectly this time! I think that the memory card must need pushing in, or its contacts cleaning. It refused to work last time I tried using it in the cold.

Last edited:

mooseracer

Guru
Good going @mooseracer on a windy day !

Thanks, that wind was not pleasant at all.....though the tailwind from Dursley to Thornbury on the A38 was great!!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hope from work around 3pm, it was blowing a gale & slinging it down, but I'm really enjoying my cycling at the moment & haven't missed a day this year, so got the gear on & off I went & headed straight into the wind, though I'd get it out of the way early on. Only needed 0.9mile to reach 600 for the month, so that was never in doubt :laugh: but I needed about 22.5 miles to hit 1000km for the month. So managed the 3 miles north to Hornsea into the wind & rain then turned & that was pretty much the last i had of full on headwind until the last couple of miles. Headed down through Goxhill, onto Sigglesthorne & towards Long Riston when i felt the front going flat :sad: never a good time, but when its lousy weather & you're running out of daylight, so changed tube & cleaned rim & hands on the nice cold wet grass :blush: & off I went again. Headed to Long Riston, onto Rise (Sarah Beeny territory) up to Hatfield, down to Withernwick & lap of the village to ensure I got the required mileage & then back home, by which time it was getting dark, so didn't have time to stop at the local :sad: & got home 22.9 miles ^_^
January total miles 622, kms 1001.
Not sure i've ever done that much in a calendar month before, let alone a January :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ Mytholmroyd? How on Earth do you pronounce Mytholmroyd?
Ha ha - that was my reaction the first time I came here on the train, about 35 years ago! :smile:

Many people guess Myth (as in myths and legends) - olm (the way it looks) - roid (as in haemo - rrhoid!).

Really it is ... My (not your!) - thum (as in rhy-thm) - roid (as in haemo - rrhoid!).

Or even ... 'Royd!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.6 miles today, as the wind got up and it started to ice as I left home,so I made the route in just under 30 minutes, not bad for the winter bicycle. Forecasting 10 inches of snow, and very cold temps for Monday and Thursday, but moderating into the 20's and 30's in betwixt and after. February will see some improvements in the weather here, if trends bear out. Bad weather is always more bearable when you can see an end of it.

sgl5gjr

Only an 8 miler today for me and the teen...... weather machine said 3.4c ... roads were dry and no rain or snow.... but 25 mph wind....
So.... I said to Teen shall we nip out for a run... and she said... okay.... Hit the road and she said lets do a ride out to a couple of villages and back...but in the end we skirted the town and ring road system and took a "pretty" way back.... the wind was gusting badly and when side on was blowing you off of line and almost off of the steed... The wind chill from the NW wind was horrible....even when kitted up.....methinks a slowernride on the MTB's would have been a better idea today....
I'm going out on the MTB later to my other house and the town....only a 3 mile ride tho'

Top Bottom