Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time for an Audax. This one has 1.75 AAA points which means there would be plenty of hills. But hills bring scenic riding. What's not to like? The peloton was quite sizeable as we headed away from the Abergavenny HQ. We were lead straight onto a climb. That broke the bunch up and I found I was riding with Ruth, a first time Audaxer. Our pace was well matched so we stayed together. The miles to Usk went by in a flash as we chatted away. We missed a turn into a small lane over the A40 but corrected quite quickly. Now we took and further climbs as we headed into the Monnow Valley. The main control at Grosmont provided lovely refreshments so we had a pleasant stop there for a while before continuing to climb for Longtown Castle. Although we had a bit of respite from up for a few miles we had to climb some more around Forest Coal Pit. At Gilwern we missed the side road and ended up on the main road for a mile or two. We both agreed that wasn't the best of the ride. We finished well within the cutoff time and there was plenty of rehydration options back at HQ as well as lovely food. It had been a lovely scenic ride in the hills of the England/Wales border country. We could have played a "which country are we in" game but the scenery and the company didn't need any extra. 64 smiles

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Up at 5 and out of the door for 5:45 for an 8am meet at Cossington with @13 rider and @Lilliburlero to back the imperial century July ride nice and early.

Early on it was very quiet and temperature wise just right. It was that quiet I didn't see a car for the first 8 miles.

As usual I headed south towards Gilmorton, then back towards Leicester, through Enderby, Leicester Forest East, Glenfield and Anstey and into Cossington with 5 minutes to spare. The other two were already there so we set off. Up to Barrow we went and onto the long but steady climb up Paudy Lane to Six Hills and into a headwind. I dd my usual and stayed behind the other two, let the skinny buggers do the climbing, I'll come into my on at the cafe stop. ^_^

Up to the edge of West Bridgeford to grab some squares, including one which we had to cross halfway over the A52 and back again to grab one. Along the A52 to grab a few more squares and then onto the cafe stop at Screveton. Cracking cafe aimed at cyclists, worth another visit.

Bottles refilled, apart from me who had not touched my bottles. Loop round to Cotgrave for the final square grab of the day. At this point we had only done 10 miles since the cafe stop and I had drunk one bottle in that time and half way through the other. So after another 10 miles we took a slight detour to stop for refills. I polished off the remaining bottle, refilled them both and knocked back a bottle of Lucozade.

Back onto route, through Widmerpole and Willoughby on the Wolds. @Lilliburlero peels off to head back towards home, knowing he has the 100 miler in the bag.

I ride all the way to Anstey with @13 rider, say goodbye, turn around and head back the way we had come, skirt around Cropston reservoir into Thurcaston (for the third time on this ride) and I'm confident I have enough miles left so head towards home. Into Abbey Park were I decided to slow down and eat some flapjack, to say it was a bit warm was an understatement!) Through Bede Park and up the Great Central Way were I dragged myself up Soar Valley Way and home.

I was knackered by the time I got in and for the first time in ages my feet were hurting, so bike away, shoes off and I sat in the garden with an ice cream and a couple of cans of lemonade whilst I recovered.

Scores on the doors:

@13 rider with 105 miles; @Lilliburlero 109 miles (and his 22nd century of the year in his debut season in the imperial a month challenge :notworthy:) 127 miles for me

https://www.strava.com/activities/1674108211

Cracking ride with you guys as usual, but them last 25 on my own were bloody tough... even with a tail wind :rolleyes:. Its not easy being a ginge in them temps:headshake::laugh:

I need to maintain the buffer on tons between us, because I know what you are capable of :ninja::notworthy:

Last edited:
Another brilliantly organised wielertocht today over here in the Netherlands. This one was the NL Tour Series 1K Ride in the Arnhem/Oosterbeek area.
Great day with lots of climbing - yes, there are hills in the Netherlands - weather was warm and sunny but with a very stiff easterly breeze.
Ended the day with 127km with just under 1500m of climbing. I think I'll be feeling it in my legs tomorrow.

Ride here
https://www.strava.com/activities/1674416401
And some photos
The bridge too far at Arnhem
Feed station
I even got a medal

theloafer

Legendary Member
did the Darlington 70 today ..also talked karon into give it a go, making it her longest ride :notworthy:this girl coped very well as it was very hot :bravo:...even I was pleased to get it finished :laugh: and get her a beer in :cheers:
WP_20180701_002.jpg

jelly baby stop
WP_20180701_004.jpg

WP_20180701_005.jpg

Whorlton bridge
WP_20180701_007.jpg

cake stop in barny
WP_20180701_008.jpg

darlo market square
WP_20180701_009.jpg

the joys of not been able to drive ...lol

https://www.strava.com/activities/1674661789

I am wearing a grin that the Cheshire Cat would be proud of. I have ridden the furthest distance I have ever done, today.

50 miles! :hyper:

:dance::becool:^_^

Bike: Carrera Vengeance MTB with Schwalbe Landcruiser Plus tyres
Distance: 50 miles / 81 km
Average Speed: 9.69 mph / 15.59 kph
Max. Speed: 22.43 mph / 36.10 kph
Ascent: 1194.23 feet / 364 metres
Descent: 1190.94 feet / 363 metres

Kiveton Park to Worksop to Clumber Park (where the Race for Life event is happening today) to Clipstone and Sherwood Pines.

I went once around the Green route and then reverse course for home. I would have liked to have done the Blue route, but time constrictions meant only the Green was feasible.

Took the longer route through Clumber to exit to avoid the runners, then when I got to Sandhill Lake (AKA Godrey’s Pond) the path is blocked off by the police crime scene people. 100 yards away there was a tent covering something (or, gulp, possibly someone).

I found my way around the other side of the lake back to the canal towpath where I could continue my journey home.

Lots of people walking and cycling along the towpath on the return journey.

A great ride and I feel fantastic! :becool:
50 miles on a MTB .....one phrase comes to mind .....BUNS OF STEEL. Well done great effort !!!!

C R

Guru
Out early again to avoid the heat, though by the time I left home at ten past seven, the temperature was already rather pleasant, presaging a scorcher, as it turned out to be.

Started with one of my usual routes, down the A38 through Kempsey. As I was leaving Kempsey I noticed a group of riders behind me, who were slowly catching up, however I turned left at Baynhall towards Kerswell Green, and they carried on the A38.

After Kerswell Green came the ramp up to Kinnersley, followed by the fast descent through the village towards Earls Croome, I managed 30mph here. At the end of the road took a left over the M5 and past Dunstall Castle.
20180701_074419.jpg
20180701_074649.jpg

Then it was left again towards Defford on the Upton to Pershore Road, with the aim of turning right for Eckington to add some variety. The turn is at the top of a steep ramp, so I was a bit apprehensive about it, luckily there was no traffic so I could manage the turn safely, if rather slowly. From there it is a quick run to the bridge over the Avon. After the bridge was Eckington, and then left by the playing fields towards Comberton. This was the view towards the Malverns
20180701_080850.jpg

And this is Bredon Hill to the other side
20180701_080856.jpg

To follow was the first climb I have done that doesn't finish after half a mile. It wasn't too hard, and I got to Great Comberton feeling not too tired. After that it was a quick downhill to Pershore.

Pershore came quick, and then was the climb of The Holloway, this was far harder than the climb to Comberton. I am going to need a smaller gear if I am going to do more climbing, I should get the triple I have been considering.

After The Holloway it is Rebecca Road and Crabbe Lane, past Wadborough and the long way to Littleworth. Tuning right after the railway bridge I came across a riding club going the opposite way. Those posh freehubs don't half make a racket when freewheeling :laugh:.

Final stretch was up through Littleworth. Two riders caught up with me and overtook me by the Retreat, but I was keeping up with them down the hill, past the church and the motorway bridge. This seems to have annoyed them :tongue:, but I dropped back on the short climb to the barracks. I wasn't trying to catch up, they were slower than me down the hill, but faster up the hill :laugh:.

25.9 miles at 14.2mph with just over 900 feet of up. Loverly.

TigerT

Veteran
Today I did my first ever 100 mile ride There have been a few times in the past where my heart has said, "Lets go for the hundred", but the legs said, "no way!". Today the legs ran out of excuses.

The intention was to do a 100km ride around Lake Zürich. I headed out after breakfast and it was already hot, so I had very low expectations for the day. I got to Rapperswil in good time and stopped for a coffee and assessed the weather and how I felt. I was feeling good, the weather was forecast (and did) hit 33 degrees. I decided to press on. The good thing about Switzerland is that there are railway stations everywhere, so if you need to give up, you can always get home. I headed on to Schmerikon at the end of the lake and got a bit lost, before finally getting to Lachen in time for lunch, it was hot by. now, but there was a cooling wind coming off the Lake - normally I hate a headwind, but in this case I was happy for it. From here I just stuck close to the lake and headed back to Zürich for an Iced Coffee. That was 111kms.

At this point I was coping quite well with the heat and although tired I reckoned I could do the extra 50 kms to Baden and back. This is my normal Sunday ride, so I know the route well. I decided to take the cycle route, although a lot of it is Gravel, which is not ideal for the road bike, it is more shaded than the route along the main road, which is quite exposed. The ride to Baden was fast, my confidence in hitting the 100 miles was high. I stopped for another cafe break, and started the ride back. I hit a mental wall at about 140kms and it was hard from that point. Last year I would have given up long before this point - this year, I just got my head down and carried on.

It was worth it. I've always wanted to do an Imperial 100. Last year I couldn't even get close to a metric 100 before my knees gave up so I'm over the moon with progress. Celebrating by lying down on the sofa, eating and drinking everything I can lay my hands on!

IMG_0019.JPG
Taking a rest in Rapperswil
IMG_0023.JPG
On the way to the end of Lake Zürich
IMG_0026.JPG
At the other end of the lake - Even the ducks thought it was too hot!
IMG_0032.JPG
and finally to Baden for the final stop of the day.
IMG_1037.PNG
.... and here is the map.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I am wearing a grin that the Cheshire Cat would be proud of. I have ridden the furthest distance I have ever done, today.

50 miles! :hyper:

:dance::becool:^_^

Bike: Carrera Vengeance MTB with Schwalbe Landcruiser Plus tyres
Distance: 50 miles / 81 km
Average Speed: 9.69 mph / 15.59 kph
Max. Speed: 22.43 mph / 36.10 kph
Ascent: 1194.23 feet / 364 metres
Descent: 1190.94 feet / 363 metres

Kiveton Park to Worksop to Clumber Park (where the Race for Life event is happening today) to Clipstone and Sherwood Pines.

I went once around the Green route and then reverse course for home. I would have liked to have done the Blue route, but time constrictions meant only the Green was feasible.

Took the longer route through Clumber to exit to avoid the runners, then when I got to Sandhill Lake (AKA Godrey’s Pond) the path is blocked off by the police crime scene people. 100 yards away there was a tent covering something (or, gulp, possibly someone).

I found my way around the other side of the lake back to the canal towpath where I could continue my journey home.

Lots of people walking and cycling along the towpath on the return journey.

A great ride and I feel fantastic! :becool:
Today I did my first ever 100 mile ride There have been a few times in the past where my heart has said, "Lets go for the hundred", but the legs said, "no way!". Today the legs ran out of excuses.

The intention was to do a 100km ride around Lake Zürich. I headed out after breakfast and it was already hot, so I had very low expectations for the day. I got to Rapperswil in good time and stopped for a coffee and assessed the weather and how I felt. I was feeling good, the weather was forecast (and did) hit 33 degrees. I decided to press on. The good thing about Switzerland is that there are railway stations everywhere, so if you need to give up, you can always get home. I headed on to Schmerikon at the end of the lake and got a bit lost, before finally getting to Lachen in time for lunch, it was hot by. now, but there was a cooling wind coming off the Lake - normally I hate a headwind, but in this case I was happy for it. From here I just stuck close to the lake and headed back to Zürich for an Iced Coffee. That was 111kms.

At this point I was coping quite well with the heat and although tired I reckoned I could do the extra 50 kms to Baden and back. This is my normal Sunday ride, so I know the route well. I decided to take the cycle route, although a lot of it is Gravel, which is not ideal for the road bike, it is more shaded than the route along the main road, which is quite exposed. The ride to Baden was fast, my confidence in hitting the 100 miles was high. I stopped for another cafe break, and started the ride back. I hit a mental wall at about 140kms and it was hard from that point. Last year I would have given up long before this point - this year, I just got my head down and carried on.

It was worth it. I've always wanted to do an Imperial 100. Last year I couldn't even get close to a metric 100 before my knees gave up so I'm over the moon with progress. Celebrating by lying down on the sofa, eating and drinking everything I can lay my hands on!

View attachment 417287
View attachment 417288
View attachment 417289
View attachment 417290
View attachment 417291

Well done to both of you. A couple of great milestone rides.:bravo::bravo::bravo:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

View attachment 417287
View attachment 417288
View attachment 417289
View attachment 417290
View attachment 417291

Many congratulations especially in this heat. Well done. :notworthy:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable

View attachment 417287
View attachment 417288
View attachment 417289
View attachment 417290
View attachment 417291
Well done @TigerT !! A day for achievements! A great way to start the month.

13 rider

Guru

View attachment 417287
View attachment 417288
View attachment 417289
View attachment 417290
View attachment 417291

Well done :thumbsup: you always remember the first ton

Serge

Über Member

View attachment 417287
View attachment 417288
View attachment 417289
View attachment 417290
View attachment 417291
Kudos. And great photos, I'm jealous!

Top Bottom