Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Felt like it too!
The closest I could liken it to is St Neots.

*snort* :giggle:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well today was a really fun day.... Had to go to my company HQ in Canary Wharf to fill out some forms. The ride there was FANTASTIC!! I followed the river lea all the way to my HQ. Started just before 9.30 and got there around 10.40 (I got lost only once!)

However. I had a bit of a chuckle brother moment on the way back where the towpath wasnt quite level... I ended up ripping the arse off the sidewall of my front tyre and scratching up part of the rims which made contact with the concrete. The side of my head and shoulder got slammed into some iron railings but I suffered just a few cuts, scratches and bruising. Wasted 2 inner tubes and 2 CO2 canisters trying to inflate the tyre but the tyre popped each and every time.

With no inner tubes or CO2 canisters left (not that it would of been much good anyway as the halfords guy later told me) Tried to call dad to bring the recovery vehicle but the battery died and i was stuck in the middle of nowhere on a stretch of river half a mile from victoria park. WIth the battery on my phone dead, I couldnt call someone for help, I couldnt use GPS and I had no idea what time it was as I tend not to wear a watch when i cycle. I was ultimately up sh!tcreek without a paddle.

And so with long a deep breath and a curse at the gods above, I started my long march home. bicycle beside me...I walked the seven miles along the towpath in the blazing sun carrying a heavy D-lock various items in my backpack. I honestly wanted to throw my bike in the river....

Made it to the nearest Halfords 2miles away from home and I refused to walk anymore. My water supply was at critical levels, I was aching all over and I just wanted to be home, nursing my ouchies with a cold beer. Guy at halfords explained to me he wasnt surprised i couldnt inflate the tyre after it had the tits ripped off it. The side wall was such a wreck that it just wouldn't prevent the innertube from popping it when it was inflated. I asked for Vittoria tyres but they had none. Tried to sell me some Gatorskins but I didnt want to pay the asking price so went with a cheapest option. 23mm Schwalbe Lugano saw me cover the last 2 miles home.

I got a picture of my trip when i got to limeharbour but since the phone wont turn on because battery is so low, thats going to have to wait.

But thats ok......

So How was everyone's day??

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well today was a really fun day.... Had to go to my company in Canary Wharf to fill out some forms. The ride there was FANTASTIC!! I followed the river lea all the way to my HQ. Started just before 9.30 and got there around 10.40 (I got lost only once!)

However. I had a bit of a chuckle brother moment on the way back where the towpath wasnt quite level... I ended up ripping the arse off the sidewall of my front tyre and scratching up part of the rims which made contact with the concrete. The side of my head and shoulder got slammed into some iron railings but I suffered just a few cuts, scratches and bruising. Wasted 2 inner tubes and 2 CO2 canisters trying to inflate the tyre but the tyre popped each and every time.

With no inner tubes or CO2 canisters left (not that it would of been much good anyway as the halfords guy later told me) Tried to call dad to bring the recovery vehicle but the battery died and i was stuck in the middle of nowhere on a stretch of river half a mile from victoria park. WIth the battery on my phone dead, I couldnt call someone for help, I couldnt use GPS and I had no idea what time it was as I tend not to wear a watch when i cycle. I was ultimately up sh!tcreek without a paddle.

And so with long a deep breath and a curse at the gods above, I started my long march home. bicycle beside me...I walked the seven miles along the towpath in the blazing sun carrying a heavy D-lock various items in my backpack to the near. I honestly wanted to throw my bike in the river....

Made it to the nearest Halfords 2miles away from home and I refused to walk anymore. My water supply was at critical levels, I was aching all over and I just wanted to be home, nursing my ouchies with a cold beer. Guy at halfords explained to me he wasnt surprised i couldnt inflate the tyre after it had the tits ripped off it. The side wall was such a wreck that it just wouldn't prevent the innertube from popping it when it was inflated. I asked for Vittoria tyres but they had none. Tried to sell me some Gatorskins but I didnt want to pay the asking price so went with a cheapest option. 23mm Schwalbe Lugano saw me cover the last 2 miles home.

I got a picture of my trip when i got to limeharbour but since the phone wont turn on because battery is so low, thats going to have to wait.

But thats ok......

I'll give a like for telling us about it but that sounds a pretty grotty trip. Hope the aches and pains ease soon.:okay:

Well today was a really fun day.... Had to go to my company in Canary Wharf to fill out some forms. The ride there was FANTASTIC!! I followed the river lea all the way to my HQ. Started just before 9.30 and got there around 10.40 (I got lost only once!)

And so with long a deep breath and a curse at the gods above, I started my long march home. bicycle beside me...I walked the seven miles along the towpath in the blazing sun carrying a heavy D-lock various items in my backpack. I honestly wanted to throw my bike in the river....

But thats ok......

Ouch xxx :hugs:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A curtailed ride for me today. I couldn't get out early as I'd wanted to as I'd been asked to stand by in case I was needed to help with something (I wasn't needed in the end), so late morning I headed off to do a circuit out to Melverley.

I took the Raleigh and set out into a pretty warm day. Traffic was busy on the main road out to Condover, then I had to get back across it heading for Exfords Green where I picked up a nice tailwind that helped on the way to Shorthill. Around here I noticed a grinding when braking and when it didn't clear stopped to get rid of the bit of grit I presumed had lodged in one of my front brake blocks.

Unfortunately it wasn't grit. I knew I was getting close to needing new blocks but the one had worn unevenly and exposed the metal. Drat - that's a pretty rookie mistake letting it wear down that much.:blush:

Nothing I could do about it at the roadside so I chose to head back the shortest way, retracing my steps to Exfords Green, climbing Lyth Hill from that side and using the rough track over the top. Great views today but not what I'd planned.

Just over 14 miles at 13.7 mph average. New front brake blocks now fitted and I've adjusted the rears as well as they were squealing.

I just grabbed some views from Lyth Hill on the way back:
DSC0006668.jpg

DSC0006669.jpg

DSC0006670.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
After spending most of yesterday carb-loading (beer contains carbs, right? :laugh:), I thought I'd best get a ride in today in the glorious sunshine.

Due to an excess of faffing around it was almost 9am before I set off and there was a noticeable breeze, but it was warming up rapidly.
Back to the old routine of Coal Road (traffic lights not detecting bikes, again), Red Hall Lane and the A58, before taking Whin Moor Lane towards Shadwell.
Approaching the village a bit of a rattle was starting to get right on my nerves, so I stopped for a fettle and decided to get a pic too:
View attachment 417211
Hard to believe this is less than 4 miles as the crow flies from the centre of one of the UK's biggest cities, isn't it?

Back in the saddle and through Shadwell, then the climb up to Slaid Hill lights, right and through the dip on Wike Ridge Lane and up onto Tarn Lane for the run across the top to Scarcroft.

Good news for anyone cycling down Ling Lane - they've resurfaced most of it! :smile:
The bad news is that they've inexplicable left a couple of bits and under the trees it's a bit tricky to spot where it's still lumpy...:sad:

Anyhow, after that comes the long descent down the A58 through the village and on to Bardsey, where I hit the lights at green for the first time in an age, then on to Colingham where a wiggle left and right saw me on to Linton, over the bridge and the ups and downs to Wetherby.
Have I mentioned it was hot yet? :sun:

Into Wetherby and a scoot around the town centre, then north out of town and the left fork to climb up to Kirk Deighton and on to North Deighton, before another right onto Ox Close Lane and almost deserted country lanes. Well, deserted apart from the flies, that is...:rolleyes:
It was absolutely glorious out there and the bit of breeze was just about keeping the temperature sensible.
Over the bridge across the A168 which was surprisingly traffic free - probably due to being dressed with what looked like about a foot of stone chippings and having a temporary 20mph speed limit. Glad I wasn't cycling on there this morning.
After that it's the bridge over a busy as usual A1(M) and on to Cowthorpe and out between the fields again, taking the right at the crossroads to start heading south now.
The long run down to Rudgate Crossroads seemed to pass in a flash and then it's more gentle downhill to the turning for Walton.
Through there and across the main road and down to Thorp Arch, stopping for sustenance in the shade and more pics:
View attachment 417214 View attachment 417215 View attachment 417216
Funny, I've stopped by All Saints Church plenty of times, but never noticed that bench before! :rolleyes:
Anyhow, no time to sit down, back on the bike and through the village, over the bridge and up into Boston Spa, then on to Clifford where a bit of up leads to the drop into Bramham.
I was running low on water by this point (did I mention it was hot? ^_^) and toyed with stopping at the village shop to buy a bottle, but decided I'd be alright and climbed up out of the village and across the A1(M) bridge again and then the long way round to Thorner via Milner Lane.
Into the village and a decision needed to be made - the usual route home via Carr Lane, or the direct route straight up Van Zyl Hill?
Carr Lane it was and before long I was huffing up to the A58, where a quick scoot saw me onto Coal Road and up the hill.
Across the roundabout and past the 'Your Speed Is..." sign :whistle: and exhausted my water supplies as I turned onto local roads, with just a mile of mainly downhill to go to get me home.

35.95 miles (57.85 km) in 2h 31m at an average of 14.3mph with 1,653ft climbed and an average temperature of 22.3°C although it felt a lot warmer.

Very happy with that - wasn't sure how it was going to go at the start given the heat and yesterdays activities, but it felt good out there and you've got to take advantage of this weather haven't you?
Another point in the half century challenge and this months ride sorted on Day One.
Lots and lots of cyclists out today, club runs, solo riders, family rides, mixed groups, e-bikers, tandemists, you name it and all good to see.

And to end, the map:
View attachment 417220

What model of Boardman is that, please? Looks stunning.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What model of Boardman is that, please? Looks stunning.

Thanks @Cavalol - it's a 2016 Boardman Pro Carbon. They only did that colour scheme for a year (I think) and it really 'pops' in the sunshine
When I bought it I was doing a few minor adjustments outside the shop prior to riding it away and a couple asked me about it and refused to believe that Halfords sold bikes like that... ^_^
Here's a slightly arty shot taken not long after I'd got it:
IMG_20160903_091856590_HDRx.jpg

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Finally time to read ride reports and add my own...busy week.

Thanks to the North of England turning into a fiery fireball, my ride today had to go in a southy sort of direction and so leaving home around 9.30am, I set off for Haigh Hall. And as it was my first ride on the new 1.75 nobby tyres...it had to be off road ish.
Past McDonald's and a right onto Boot Lane was my first port of call. Looking up to Winter Hill I didn't see as much, if any smoke as the last couple days although the air had a slight odour to it. Maybe the fire department had succeeded early?
Taylor Swifts country tunes were drowning out the traffic noise along Victoria Road through the Middlebrook trail and Aspull. She was gagged when I dropped down to the L&L Canal path at Haigh Hall. I like it quiet when I ride.
And that's when I heard it. Rattling. Argh. Wasn't the bell. Or the cables. Or the etrex. Or the bike computer. Or the cam. Or the brake levers. Eventually I discovered it was one of the bottle cap dust covers. That's a first for me.
I wasn't riding much further when some pic opportunities came up.

20180702_200106.jpg

The bike next to water...and

20180702_195941.jpg

The bike on a bridge.
There isn't really alot one can write about a canal ride because as pretty as most are, it's mostly all samey same mile after mile.
One thing that is becoming a regular feature of my rides is wrong or missed turns and today was no different. I continued cycling on the left of the canal after crossing the A58 to Platt Bridge instead of switching to the right hand path. No biggie. There was a wee bit of a smokey smell in the air here.
Shortly after passing Pennington Flash I saw a fire crew dousing a patch of blackened grassland using water pumped from the canal through their truck. Saw quite a few more small patches of burnt ground along the rest of my ride on the canal too.
At around 12.20pm approaching Astley Green I was getting hungry so stopped for a cup of tea and a chicken sammich. I was happy and content with the world then a bit further on this appeared...

20180702_200003.jpg

Under Lower Green Lane.
I mean, what kind of sick demented bast**d puts this on a shared use path? As I approached it wondering how I was supposed to get past it, a couple mountain bikers had to swing their bikes out over the water while trying to climb over the gate. They too were cursing the thing. One slip and that's it...bike at the bottom of a canal. There was another a bit further on but that one is wider so lifting the bike over is another yet equally challenging option. The Spa whilst lighter than the old Vantage, is still a heavy brute.
20180702_200045.jpg
Fancy a swim? Me neither.

When I reached Broadoak Park I turned left to follow NCR55 back to Bolton. Through Queens Park and a bunch of residential streets then a short trip though Doffcocker Lodge and home via the estate.
Bike computer says 39 miles...but I've not tweaked it to calculate for the bigger tyres.
Etrex says 38.7 miles but the batteries went flat somewhere on the Leigh section of the canal and I didn't notice for a while. Both say about 9mph avg.
Nice ride regardless which I must do again soon.

Top Bottom