Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Finally time to read ride reports and add my own...busy week.

Thanks to the North of England turning into a fiery fireball, my ride today had to go in a southy sort of direction and so leaving home around 9.30am, I set off for Haigh Hall. And as it was my first ride on the new 1.75 nobby tyres...it had to be off road ish.
Past McDonald's and a right onto Boot Lane was my first port of call. Looking up to Winter Hill I didn't see as much, if any smoke as the last couple days although the air had a slight odour to it. Maybe the fire department had succeeded early?
Taylor Swifts country tunes were drowning out the traffic noise along Victoria Road through the Middlebrook trail and Aspull. She was gagged when I dropped down to the L&L Canal path at Haigh Hall. I like it quiet when I ride.
And that's when I heard it. Rattling. Argh. Wasn't the bell. Or the cables. Or the etrex. Or the bike computer. Or the cam. Or the brake levers. Eventually I discovered it was one of the bottle cap dust covers. That's a first for me.
I wasn't riding much further when some pic opportunities came up.

View attachment 417444
The bike next to water...and

View attachment 417445
The bike on a bridge.
There isn't really alot one can write about a canal ride because as pretty as most are, it's mostly all samey same mile after mile.
One thing that is becoming a regular feature of my rides is wrong or missed turns and today was no different. I continued cycling on the left of the canal after crossing the A58 to Platt Bridge instead of switching to the right hand path. No biggie. There was a wee bit of a smokey smell in the air here.
Shortly after passing Pennington Flash I saw a fire crew dousing a patch of blackened grassland using water pumped from the canal through their truck. Saw quite a few more small patches of burnt ground along the rest of my ride on the canal too.
At around 12.20pm approaching Astley Green I was getting hungry so stopped for a cup of tea and a chicken sammich. I was happy and content with the world then a bit further on this appeared...

View attachment 417448
Under Lower Green Lane.
I mean, what kind of sick demented bast**d puts this on a shared use path? As I approached it wondering how I was supposed to get past it, a couple mountain bikers had to swing their bikes out over the water while trying to climb over the gate. They too were cursing the thing. One slip and that's it...bike at the bottom of a canal. There was another a bit further on but that one is wider so lifting the bike over is another yet equally challenging option. The Spa whilst lighter than the old Vantage, is still a heavy brute.
View attachment 417460 Fancy a swim? Me neither.

When I reached Broadoak Park I turned left to follow NCR55 back to Bolton. Through Queens Park and a bunch of residential streets then a short trip though Doffcocker Lodge and home via the estate.
Bike computer says 39 miles...but I've not tweaked it to calculate for the bigger tyres.
Etrex says 38.7 miles but the batteries went flat somewhere on the Leigh section of the canal and I didn't notice for a while. Both say about 9mph avg.
Nice ride regardless which I must do again soon.
I guess the powers that be are thinking about stopping motorcycles, but not thinking it through properly.
Is it worth containing anyone about it?

C R

Guru
Is it worth containing anyone about it?

The designer of the wretched things should definitely be contained ^_^.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
16 slow hot miles for me today. Very warm, but in the breeze very nice indeed. My usual bimble. Only 2 roadies out today.

20180703_100041.jpg
20180703_102349.jpg
20180703_110138.jpg
20180703_102611.jpg
20180703_110132.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today we had a ride from a place called Bollene. We were following a route on a pamphlet but there was a lack of physical signs and we soon got lost!

It was nice though, and we ended up in some nice pine heathland. Eventually we ended up in a place called Mondragon, I suppose the picture tells the story
IMG_3908.JPG

The advantage of getting lost was that we saw our bird of the day- a bee eater!

Then we were back on course in a town called Piolenc. In the next town we stopped at a bar for a drink and some food. We thought we were getting a salad.... but it was slightly more substantial. It went down well though.
More pretty countryside, vines and wildflowers galore.
The ride ended with an 18% hill, and in 35°c heat it's a bit sweaty! 28.5 miles of beauty.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1677991507

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

Time for a swim.......

pawl

Legendary Member
Today we had a ride from a place called Bollene. We were following a route on a pamphlet but there was a lack of physical signs and we soon got lost!

It was nice though, and we ended up in some nice pine heathland. Eventually we ended up in a place called Mondragon, I suppose the picture tells the story
View attachment 417510

Then we were back on course in a town called Piolenc. In the next town we stopped at a bar for a drink and some food. We thought we were getting a salad.... but it was slightly more substantial. It went down well though.
The ride ended with an 18% hill, and in 35°c heat it's a bit sweaty! 28.5 miles of beauty.

View attachment 417514
View attachment 417516
View attachment 417518
View attachment 417519
View attachment 417520
View attachment 417521
View attachment 417525
Time for a swim.......

Great pics,

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It's still quite hot here. So I waited till things began to cool down a tad before venturing out. Just enough time for a standard run round the old Ashleworth with added Woolridge loop. Not too much to report on this one other than as I set off I noticed my back tyre was soft so I Ued for my garage and on attempting to inflate the tyre the valve failed. So I had to replace the tube. No worries I've had a lot of practice over the years. There was something of a wind attempting to hinder at times today but I didn't find it too daunting. Nice ride out at quite a good pace. 45 smiles

Slick

Guru

View attachment 417510

View attachment 417514
View attachment 417516
View attachment 417518
View attachment 417519
View attachment 417520
View attachment 417521
View attachment 417525
Time for a swim.......
Not sure which I liked most, the ride, the mural or the steak and chips.:hungry:

xzenonuk

Veteran
got an evening ride in this time and covered 21.32 miles, went from queensferry along to the miller and carter steak house then jumped on the road all the way into princes street, after a wee rest i went right through the west end while playing with trams and into corstorphine,

then along past the gyle etc and onto the cyclepath from newbridge back to queensferry and for the first time ever i seen a police guy riding a bike along there who seemed cheery and said hiya to me.

took a few pics on the way back for a change :smile:

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Fun ride today, with a mate. It was going to be several mates, but due to stuff, several dropped out.
Never mind, eh!

Starting out, my legs were feeling quite leaden, but after a mile of so, they eased up, happily.
No great targets in mind, just a pleasant tootle around Pitsford Res to stretch the aforementioned legs, drink coffee, eat wedges and ice cream...

IMG_6066.JPG

Double flavours going on.. Mine was lemon crunch and raspberry ripple & white chocolate.

IMG_6056.JPG

A random double decker bus parked up at Pitsford Res. I think it might have contained a herd of school children, on a summer jolly, as there were loads of them enjoying the play area.

IMG_6058.JPG

I was feeling a bit old today :rolleyes:

IMG_6049.JPG

The reservoir is still full, despite the lack of recent rainfall.

Home on 30 miles, with a dusty bike. No great challenges, but properly enjoyable ^_^

Even the abundance of nettles in the off-piste runs failed to curb the fun :tongue:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1678203146

:smile:

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A very slow paced ride today in the baking sun. The slow pace was more to do with not knowing where we were going and looking at plants and birds.
The first bird we saw was a bee eater, soon joined by another 3! We saw another half dozen during the ride.
Through the vineyards of Chateauneuf du pape we rolled, stones mulching the soil to reflect the heat and to release it slowly through the night.
At one of the posh places there was a bloke trimming the cypress trees.
We got down to near the Rhone, but we only saw an offshoot. It was here that a pair of kingfisher nearly flew into me!

We headed on to a town called Sorgues and stopped at the bakery by the church for a drink and a bit of a pastry to share.

We then went on to Bedarrides and home up a nasty killer hill, then down the 18% drive to the place we're staying (we walked up pushing bikes this morning!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1680018074

1D0BEA48-5E98-4632-8D8E-BB429BE7D5DB.jpeg
C2326DCA-01A0-470B-8544-BBA392835ED8.jpeg
D3657AD3-7FB3-4661-BF82-4FC3AB12679E.jpeg
17FCE4A2-53EB-474A-951E-C780B0671A7E.jpeg
7B0C0DE3-0D95-403D-BEFE-400479CC3ABA.jpeg
5AD4D529-29C6-41D5-AC16-7BC8866E6B66.jpeg
58C2525F-3975-4456-AA51-1BA03DB3E386.jpeg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another glorious summer day in Shropshire and after missing out yesterday I got out in the cool of the morning.

I varied a regular route this time by starting off headed for town and The Quarry. I thought I was out early enough to avoid the kids going to school but it seems that the Priory lot were heading in early too which slowed things down.

The Quarry was as nice as ever and I enjoyed the ride along the riverside past the weir and along Sydney Avenue. The old canal path is as rough as ever but at least mud wasn't going to be an issue. From Upton Magna I headed through Withington to Walcot and up Bluebell Lane but at the end of the lane found I fancied trying something new so as the old A5 (now the B5061) was quiet I turned right and headed along it (nice and flat with a slight following wind so 20mph was easy) to The Horseshoe where I took a left and followed the lane to Wroxeter, rejoining another familiar route there.

I found a couple of German tourists (or at least their car was German registered) taking photos at a viewpoint I like at Dryton then I had the main road to Cressage pretty much to myself which was a nice change.

The climb out of the valley along Shore Lane didn't feel as much of an effort today as I headed for Acton Burnell where I managed to get an insect up my nose and had to stop three or four times due to sneezing.:blush:

Sports day was taking place at Longnor school which meant negotiating the obstacle course of parked cars but then I had a fairly clear run to home via Ryton and Condover with the breeze just about helping.

Just short of 37 miles this time (couldn't be bothered to round it up today) at 14.5 mph average.

DSC0006671.jpg

The sun-dappled path along the old canal to Uffington.

DSC0006672.jpg

At Upton Magna.

DSC0006673.jpg

View from near Wroxeter. Unfortunately this photo has really disappointed me as the scene looked fabulous in real life with the poppies painting a rich band of red across the field and the haze seeming to foreshorten the distance to the hills.

Top Bottom