Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nothing but commuting over the past couple of days. I did fit a dynamo hub to the CX last night, only managed to get the front light connected so far. A quick test to the shops tonight and it's quite good.
This evenings little pootle saw the mileage so far this year edge over 7000 miles, only 300 to go to target. Might make 8k if I get my bum in gear:smile:

Dynamo hubs are fantastic things: you never worry about batteries again, and can leave the light on in the day to make yourself more visible...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I felt a bit rough as I set out. I thought I'd see how things felt at the meet. Jules H and Pete M suggested I check things out at Tewkesbury. Not too bad so I kept rolling. Things got better. Nothing quite like fresh air and some small amount of sun behind the many clouds. We looped by Kemerton for the thatched cottages and then just after Beckford we pulled up to watch a pair of Red Kites float closely overhead. Best views ever for Jules. On for Wormington it was decided to go by Aston Somerville and an unusual route through Childswickham before we hauled up at our favourite cafe in Broadway.

We retraced to Childswickham to find that the feared wind had dropped so we made good time to Elmley Castle. Kestrels seemed to be much in evidence today but no Buzzards. We took our usual run around the Combertons and used the village route through Defford. Traffic was backing up at the roadworks before the bridge at Upton. Everyone will be glad when this project is complete. We said our goodbyes and I took my usual route back by Hanley Swan. I'd somehow shaken off the earlier ailments and ridden mostly quite well. Sense had been applied tho' as I didn't push it at all today. 65 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An afternoon ride today and slightly shorter than the last couple. I decided to vary the scenery a little and take some lanes I don't ride that often. The start was very familiar though, going over Lyth Hill to Condover, then I headed past Berriewood to Frodesley and Acton Burnell where I took a right and climbed over the hill to Ruckley, Langley, Kenley, Harnage Grange, Harnage, Cound, Cound Stank, Berrington (via a short section on the A458), Allfield and back over Lyth Hill again.

It appeared to be a dead calm at home but that proved to be an illusion as I headed out of the village into a brisk headwind. Today wasn't intended to be a sprint so that didn't bother me too much as I wound my way southwards. Going past Berriewood made a nice change although it does involve a bit of climbing (drops into a valley and out again). There was more and steeper climbing on the way to Ruckley but rewarded by some views over the surrounding country then a further steep climb on the way to Kenley that got me into low range for a bit. I passed a few cyclists up here.

Just leaving Kenley I stopped for a photo and ended up chatting to a farmer for a good half hour about various things including cycling (the Ride Across Britain has come past his front door the last few years), wildlife, the lovely area we live in and the huge cost of farming equipment now. Nice chap.

Moving on again the legs took a mile or so to unseize from having been stopped. I decided to shorten the route slightly and headed for Harnage Grange rather than Cressage. The sun was sinking fast by now and gave a really fantastic light across the countryside which my camera hasn't really done justice to. My lights went on at Cound and were needed as I intended to cut out the hilly ride through Eaton Mascott by cutting across to the A458 and back onto lanes to Berrington. Much easier riding but the traffic was busy this time of the afternoon.

The sun was setting properly now so there were frequent stops to try and capture some of the colours (a bit more successful this time) before I crossed Lyth Hill as the light faded.

26.4 miles at 11.8 mph average. Enjoyed that.

PB140118.JPG

Acton Burnell

PB140122.JPG

En Route to Ruckley.

PB140123.JPG

Langley Chapel. Due to the fluctuating fortunes of the local area the interior is pretty much as it was in the 17th century.

PB140125.JPG

Kenley. The photo taken just before my chat with the farmer.

PB140127.JPG

The sun is getting low on the way to Harnage.

PB140134.JPG

Near Allfield after sunset.

PB140139.JPG

Got some good colours going now.

PB140141.JPG

Heading south for warmer climes.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
92C0BF0B-A745-4DC3-8282-BF7DA8E75834.jpeg
A3C0FDB0-B079-4CAE-9822-A2DFC1FB951A.jpeg
AE4841A9-1CBA-406C-82CC-83D0FE44C72D.jpeg

Out on the Mountain bike tonight for a fab night ride with Dave and Suzanne on their cross bikes. Cycled cross country to see England’s tree of the year, Nelly’s Tree in between Aberford and Garforth.
Nelly’s Tree was planted over 100 years ago by Vic Stead as a romantic gesture for his then girlfriend Nelly, two Beech saplings were grafted together to form the letter ‘N’, the couple later went on to marry and live happily ever after.
Anyway 20.8 miles in total, great ride:smile:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Thanks both. I just learned something more.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
FC..jpg Stretching the legs...

46185129_1883722298389848_8658077645470171136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

I am loving it..! Every day someone different is asking me to go for a ride. And as long as I am not too tired… Here I am riding again..!

Lots and lots more of pictures either on the FB page, link at the bottom if you want to look.

Or also at the strava ride, added them there as well: https://www.strava.com/activities/1964653648

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Something a bit different today. You might be aware that the Children In Need Rickshaw Challenge is underway at the moment. The team arrived in Shropshire yesterday (using a horribly hilly route in my opinion) and have continued through the shire today so I thought I'd go out and cheer them on.

I was later setting out than ideal and they were making very good progress today so it was going to be an effort to catch them up. I'd already missed the chance to see them at Shawbury and set out with the intention of catching them on the road somewhere after Wem.

I headed out of Shrewsbury via Montford Bridge to Little Ness, Baschurch, Burlton and Loppington. I made fairly good progress with the wind behind me but Team Rickshaw also had the wind helping them so when I got to Loppington I realised I'd have to head along the lanes to Lyneal to try and get ahead of them.

This was going pretty well up to Lyneal but turning east towards Hampton Bank I hadn't reached the end of the lane before being able to see the convoy across the fields. I was then baulked by all the traffic that had been behind them trying this lane as an alternative route. There was nothing for it but to turn back and try to get ahead at Welshampton instead. I don't think I've ever been along this lane so fast and I did get ahead of them on the road only for everyone to take a break at the Sun Inn.

I got my pics once they set off again then took the lane to Coptiviney to try and get ahead at Ellesmere, where I got a couple more snaps.

With that done and Team Rickshaw wending their way to Wrexham I paused by the canal for a bite of lunch before heading homewards against the wind through Lee, Lower Hordley and Bagley. I took a detour for a change of scene through Stanwardine In The Fields and explored the older part of Baschurch (much nicer than the bits I usually see). The rest was retracing my steps: Little Ness, Montfrd Bridge, Shelton, Meole Brace and finding I was just short of 50 miles I took an extra turn round the block to round the mileage up.

50.1 miles at 12.9 mph average.

PB150145.JPG

At Loppington.

PB150147.JPG

Doing a piece for the cameras which might appear in tonight's broadcast (The One Show - 7pm)

PB150151.JPG

They're on the move again through Welshampton.

PB150154.JPG

PB150155.JPG

Passing The Mere at Ellesmere. There was a good turnout of spectators in the town but I was surprised at there not being many by The Mere.

PB150156.JPG

Activity on the Shropshire Union Canal while I have a bite of a sandwich.

PB150157.JPG

PB150158.JPG

A couple of shots at Baschurch.

Last edited:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
FC..jpg
Retro - Recovery Thursday on the CX bike

Let me explain a bit about this pic and why the retro part, I lived in the U.S for 13 years or so and over there is where I learned to love this sport. The kit I am wearing, well the jersey is a remake from 1960's or so. I left the U.S for Belfast in 2014... And Belfast for Malaga, Spain in 2016. I am still here.. :okay:

Oh and that sweety is Choky, short for chocolate.

Look it is me..!

46292217_1884786324950112_2071880489739747328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

On other news my old garmin gave up officially I think.. battery didn’t last 1 hour. After 5 years and bought it used from another guy it was due to go eventually.

Top Bottom