Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
CBB518BB-4117-4692-A456-1C97480FAACE.jpeg
49E24C6E-7505-4D9E-AEB1-AB5E4AEB51DF.jpeg

A beautiful day today in North Yorkshire. Out on the Tricross just before lunch for a loop to Cawood. 20.5 steady miles with an average of 15.3 mph, lovely.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was seduced by the watery sunshine and wore shorts today... it was a bit cold!

It was nice though. Down to Toft and a chat to a rider from St Neots. I turned for Kingston and the Eversdens. Over the A10 in Harston and along to Newton, a kestrel on a wire kept a close eye on me!

Through the Shelfords and then Grantchester. I’d planned to stop on the bridge to see if I could spy a kingfisher, but there were 4 smoking fishermen there so I didn’t bother.

This weekend the A14 is shut round here for bridge work which meant that the Cambridge bound side of Madingley hill was standing traffic, all the way onto the A428 slip road

E2AD2306-B1B1-485F-A197-CF74EAC3E7B7.jpeg

I hope it clears by 3pm..... I have to drive that way.

Toes like ice once I’d got home. 25.5 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1969451116

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I was seduced by the watery sunshine and wore shorts today... it was a bit cold!

It was nice though. Down to Toft and a chat to a rider from St Neots. I turned for Kingston and the Eversdens. Over the A10 in Harston and along to Newton, a kestrel on a wire kept a close eye on me!

Through the Shelfords and then Grantchester. I’d planned to stop on the bridge to see if I could spy a kingfisher, but there were 4 smoking fishermen there so I didn’t bother.

This weekend the A14 is shut round here for bridge work which meant that the Cambridge bound side of Madingley hill was standing traffic, all the way onto the A428 slip road

View attachment 439125

I hope it clears by 3pm..... I have to drive that way.

Toes like ice once I’d got home. 25.5 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1969451116

Shorts? What a numpty. :laugh:. Good lord . :cold:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Our lass told me earlier in the week she was going to see our youngest lad at uni today, so took the opportunity to get a decent ride in.

Had a new cafe in mind 50 miles away, per their website the cafe was at the back of a farm shop so put the bike lock into a rucksack and set off at 06:30, obviously dark, roads damp and straight into a south easterly wind. 5 miles in I'd realised that whilst I had the bike lock, I'd forgotten the key - not the first time I'd done this :rolleyes:

So I decided to ditch the first cafe as I had Twycross on the route at 83ish miles and you can keep your eye on your bike there, so no lock needed.

First 15/16 miles were on familiar roads , then I hit the A426 towards the M6 and into Rugby, bloody hell, even at 07:30 on a Saturday morning it was busy and the cars were properly shifting.

Went through Rugby, down a proper grassy bridleway grabbing Veloviewer squares and skirted around the south of Coventry, through fantastic villages like Stoneleigh.

Through Meriden and passed the war memorial dedicated to cyclists who fought in the first world war and the centre of England.

Up through Kingsbury and skirted Tamworth before heading east for the last 25/30 miles direct into a horrible wind. Stopped at Twycross for a sausage sandwich and a coffee before heading home.

Today I seemed to either be riding on really quiet roads, or skirting motorways. Today I crossed the M1, M6 and M42. all twice.

Got home on a tad over 106 miles, that's my 35th century this year and carried a bike lock that I couldn't use all the way around on at least two of them

https://www.strava.com/activities/1969648107

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lots out today. John G, Jules H, Margaret PR, Steve E, Rob A, Mrs 26 and little me. We were heading for the Mayfly cafe but via devious. Devious took us by Coles Green, Alfrick, Knightwick, Doddenham, Martley, King's Green, Ockeridge, Sinton Green, Moseley, Wichenford and then our cafe at the Mayfly.

While we were there the CTC group turned up. It was good to see Bill D, John B, Matt S and Leigh R. I had a quick catch up before we headed out for the straightforward run back. No Devious on this run. Folks peeled off as appropriate in various spots eventually leaving just Mrs 26 and me. Only 3 miles but we did get to ride together by ourselves. Lovely sunny weather. Excellent for mid November. 41 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After 2 hours swimming this morning I really didn't fancy a ride, but with the strange desire to hit 8,000 miles I forced myself out. Long sleeves and gilet but just about got away with shorts at 8 degrees once I was moving. A quick spin to Chertsey BMX track to remind my lad and his mates they might want to consider heading home as it's getting dark (they were just leaving as I arrived for that very reason) and home. 11 miles, and the bike is in the hallway awaiting an early start tomorrow to try and get the metric century challenge ride done. Think I may need leg warmers...

delb0y

Legendary Member
46 miles, today, at a stately 11 mph. 2000 feet of climbing and a max speed of 39 mph. Didn't stop other than to take some snaps, so it was 4 hours in the saddle. Overall, quite happy with all of that.

But the real tale of the day is that I got up Gambles Lane. This one defeated me (at the very top) last year and I've been determined to go back and have another go. Considering my lack of fitness I was delighted to get up there. Almost failed again at the same spot as last year - you come round the final bend having ridden up a really steep bit and what faces you is just soul destroying. That last ramp is just silly. Ride with GPS tells me it's 31.5%. I don't believe that, but it does look like it. I just gritted my teeth and thought of all the pain that had gone before and I knew I was so close that it just had to be done. Funny thing was, up the entire hill, there was a horse and rider in front of me, and a lady rambler behind me, and none of us caught each other, but we all went up at the same speed, walking, riding, and carrying someone on our back!

Rode back into Cheltenham on the old Honeybourne Line which has now been converted to a cycle path and runs right through the centre of town. It's a unique way to see the town.

Honeybourne Line 2.jpg

Honeybourne Line.jpg

Sustrans 41.jpg
Upton Church.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Blimey, what a week that's been - thank goodness it's Saturday so I could go for a ride!

The Giant is now the default bike and it feels like Coal Road is almost mandatory. I was a bit later out this morning after going to a gig last night (Rick Astley - excellent) and the traffic was already busy, so I abandoned plans to cycle down the A58 and turned right onto Skeltons Lane instead and then the long descent down Sandhills into Thorner.
Along Main Street and onto Milner Lane for the climb up onto the ridge - blimey that was hard work and my ribs, (still sore from last weeks tumble) really let me know about it as I huffed and puffed to the top. Anyhow, along between the hedges in the murky greyness and straight(ish) on at the junction round to Rigton Green and onto Compton Lane for the steady climb along the next ridge overlooking the A58 below. Past the first of many horses and riders I was to encounter today and eventually dropped down to the Jewitt Lane junction, where it was right again and up the sharp incline to the crest of the hill - more rib ache. at this point i decided I was just going to take it steady and cruised along, with another group of horses and riders approaching - 6 of them. The first 4 passed without incident, lot's of mornings, slowing down and everyone moving over in polite single file. The last two though decided that they needn't move over for a mere cyclist and maintained their line two abreast, meaning that I had to virtually stop - obviously they'd left their Audi's at the stables :rolleyes:

Enough nonsense, the rest of the lane was it's usual deserted quietness and I took it steady back up the short climb onto Thorner Road and as I approached the smaller Wothersome Dip I spotted the sign that strikes fear into cyclists everywhere (no, not Triathlon Ahead) - "Caution Hedge Cutting in progress".
To be fair it wasn't too bad and I got through unscathed, but i took it steady and picked my line through as carefully as I could. Up the other side and on to Bramham.
Right again after the A1(M) bridge and down the hill and up the other side onto Paradise Way, ribs protesting again by the top.
Paradise Way isn't the most inspiring of roads, but it's well surfaced and traffic was light so i soon arrived at Bramham Crossroads, negotiated the roundabout and headed for Aberford on the former A1.
At this point the sun tried to burn through the grey. It gave up after about 5 minutes and wasn't seen again for the duration of the ride.
Down the hill into the village, over the bridge and right again onto Cattle Lane, through the temporary traffic lights that are starting to feel like a permanent fixture and back out into the countryside.
Past the scene of last weekends incident without incident and eventually the drop down to the bridge and I felt something against my leg - looking down the pump had somehow extended to it's full length and the little cap had popped off the top. Over the bridge and stopped to sort that out (easy enough) and then the slow climb up past the tea rooms and into the Barwick, where today I stopped for a photo:
IMG_20181117_103518273_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike and through the rest of the village, tackling the continuing steady climb, before dropping down to Scholes, then down Leeds Road and up the other side, before getting onto local roads up to home

20.50 miles (32.99 km) in 1h 38m at an average of 12.5 mph with 1,040ft climbed and an average temperature of 7.0°C

Enjoyed that but it felt like very hard work at times. I had the flu jab midweek so can only think that is responsible as they warned me I might be a bit achy and lethargic afterwards - the ribs were more troublesome today than they were last Sunday, the day after my off.
Anyway, it's another ride in the bag and they all count don't they? Let's see how tomorrow goes.

The good news though is that with a shorter ride than planned I was home earlier, so I took Mrs ND out for lunch.

And to end, the map:
17112018.JPG

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Gave up waiting on Postie and headed out:bicycle:
Some time later looked for a water bottle only to see two empty bottle cages:banghead:
Ride shortened, 18.1 miles 990ft climbing 13.8 mph avg, and back home sat down with a mug of tea and a slice of chocolate cake when postie knocked on the door. Lesson in there somewhere I think:whistle:
No doubt due to the light wind direction, some PRs including the largely up grade westbound Penny Pot Lane^_^
Pennypot1.jpg

17-11 routeandelevation.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I left for my ride this morning just after 07:00 with the first 30km shrouded in heavy and very wet mist. Down to Cheddar, Glastonbury, various seaside towns, Bristol’s Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bath’s 2 Tunnels, chocolate box village Norton St Phillip, and finally a climb up Jack & Jill Hill in Kilmersdon before heading home.

Managed to mess up my navigation and include 1.5km across a peaty drove before running into a mightily narked off bull and a couple of cows. They had escaped and couldn’t get back to the herd. I was stuck between two drains (huge ditches) for what seemed ages. I legged it into another field eventually. Further on I ran into two escaped Alsatians and a Newfoundland. They had been chasing a Rowe deer and were super-psyched up when I came across them. They were very keen to eat me, but I stank horribly probably so I was spared. Best treat was getting to @Cranky Knee Girl ’s familiy’s house at the 140km mark for some super special homemade sourdough and soup followed by the best Jamaica cakes I ever had. Loved it. Great ride. Great ride.

DB2AD287-FA39-429A-BDD4-7FA533D19F5A.jpeg
3F68EFF7-AE9D-4B01-8ECC-71B0A3B34FA7.jpeg
46E3B23C-DDDC-425B-BECB-A3F96159FBC2.jpeg
0406F6BE-609F-4133-A781-26EBD0744825.jpeg
B571DB72-8E99-42BD-8371-3D155833D732.jpeg
33683C2B-3DF7-4293-9803-92F021D25C4A.jpeg

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
My ride today was an afternoon affair. Stuff to do during the morning so an early out wasn't on.
Well after 2pm I finally got out. It was a lovely and sunny after the damp dreary start to the day but it was cold.
Full winter gear on, longs, gloves, hat...no point in suffering is there?
So it was busy with traffic at Oakwood, and across the park, and along Steet lane, and at Moortown Corner, and the roundabout at Moor Allerton, and clambering up King Lane to the junction with Stairfoot Lane. I was so pleased to finally get out of the ruck and headed to the top of Black Hill Road.
Black Hill Road is steep . The top is around 18% maybe 20% and as the decent goes it 'flattens out' to a relatively gentle 14% and 12% and finally on the run down to Arthington Lane it becomes a doddle at 7%. Nice views of the Arthington Viaduct :
20181117_145711.jpg

and of the ever present Almcliffe Crag:

20181117_145729.jpg

I was going down, but slowly. Being on a fixed wheel if I had simply gone with the flow my legs would have ended up tattered stumps. Add to that the wet mud and leaves................I took it steady.
From the bottom of the hill it was into Pool-in-Wharfedale across the river and then a right turn towards Castley.
After Castley it's the climb up towards Huby. Where I stopped for a pic or two:

20181117_145742.jpg

Almcliffe Bloody Crag again, but including a bike:

20181117_152333.jpg

On then towards Weeton and another stop because the sun was going down:

20181117_152600.jpg

20181117_152615.jpg

From there it was to Dunkeswick and a left and right at Harrogate Road and the road to Wetherby via Sicklinghall.
Before getting there I had to climb a fair bit.
Three routes were on offer. Moor lane aka Barrowby Hill...nah I think not....Kearby Cliff.....oh dear me no....so it was Chapel Lane up through Kearby.
On fixed, so I knew it would be slow and I wondered if I might have to get off and push. As it happened I didn't but rounding the corner in the village at the steepest part it was a definite one pedal stoke...heave the bike forward...another pedal stoke.... heave again.
Sicklinghall came and went and by now it was getting proper dusk. I made the mistake of going through Wetherby. Thick with evening traffic.:sad:
I swear the country is full up with cars.
Taking the A58 back into Leeds I swung a left at Collingham to push up Jewitt Lane. By the time I got to the top it was dark and I headed into East Rigton and was surprised by a military helicopter coming from behind at what must have been no more than 200ft. Past Hetchel Woods and into Thorner.
A climb up Sandhills and it was Bramley Grange and the road to Red Hall, the A58 and back home.

35 miles and 2100 ft of skywards.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/29609824

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I left for my ride this morning just after 07:00 with the first 30km shrouded in heavy and very wet mist. Down to Cheddar, Glastonbury, various seaside towns, Bristol’s Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bath’s 2 Tunnels, chocolate box village Norton St Phillip, and finally a climb up Jack & Jill Hill in Kilmersdon before heading home.

Managed to mess up my navigation and include 1.5km across a peaty drove before running into a mightily narked off bull and a couple of cows. They had escaped and couldn’t get back to the herd. I was stuck between two drains (huge ditches) for what seemed ages. I legged it into another field eventually. Further on I ran into two escaped Alsatians and a Newfoundland. They had been chasing a Rowe deer and were super-psyched up when I came across them. They were very keen to eat me, but I stank horribly probably so I was spared. Best treat was getting to @Cranky Knee Girl ’s familiy’s house at the 140km mark for some super special homemade sourdough and soup followed by the best Jamaica cakes I ever had. Loved it. Great ride. Great ride.

View attachment 439242 View attachment 439243 View attachment 439244 View attachment 439245 View attachment 439246 View attachment 439247
My ride today was a lovely loop of Chew Valley and Chew lake via Brockley Coombe (aka climb up to the airport) with my husband (who prefers golf to cycling :laugh:) Baked my sourdough first thing, waited for the mists to lift and we were treated to a stunning autumnal day with a coffee at Manor Farm although that stiff easterly was nippy.

Got home in time to find @Heltor Chasca was making good time on his DIY 200 audax, and I went out to find him to guide him into his lunch control, and take a gratuitous autumnal shot of the trees in Flax Bourton on Festival Way, been meaning to get that shot all week as it's my commute. It also made today's ride into a point scorer for 50km challenge I'd just had time to make the leek and potato soup first. Lots of munching and cycle chat and we sent him on his way :bicycle: and dashed off to my physio appointment.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1969960487

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well the alarm went off at 0600, and I'm sure I didn't want to get up. Shorts, knee warmers and a thermal jersey I figured would do, along with the windproof gilet. After stepping outside to test the weather I went back upstairs for longer socks to cover gap to the knee warmers!
Suitably dressed and fed I was on the road at 0630 with the Garmin showing a pleasant 3 degrees C. The route planned (most of which I copied from one of @Stonechat H&DW rides:okay:) took me up to Windsor Great Park which was very misty, the scores of dear appearing through the mist was wonderful to see. No stopping mind as it also dropped the temperature to just above freezing and I wasn't warmed up yet. The quick descent down Sheet Road didn't help with the warming up process, and I had to work hard as I went out through Fifield to Paley Street to stay warm as it was now a wonderful -1C:cold: Onwards to Twyford, Sonning and Sonning Eye where I paused for a lump of Soreen and a pic on the bridge over the Thames
18 Nov 2018 Bridge At Sonning Eye.jpg

Cheeky climb out of Playhatch to Dunsden got me warmed up again, then a wonderful loop around Crowsley to Harpsden, with another climb out of there bizarrely into Lower Shiplake:laugh: Into Shiplake on the A4155 then a mile further on before a U turn to backtrack (the joys of collecting Explorer squares). On to Henley where there was a festival on, so nice to get through there early. A different route for me home, through Wargrave then Crazies Hill before heading down through Warren Row, passing Velolife café which was very busy already.
Before long it was the long slog into the wind along Drift Road, a tough 3 miles today, and Mounts Hill back into the park at the end doesn't help.
Home through Egham, getting caught at the level crossing which is a PITA.

66.3 miles done, and that's the 23rd metric century month in a row:smile: Oh, and it's brought my imperial Eddington up to 47:smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was dressed more appropriately today for our tandem ride.

Wall to wall sunshine and a light breeze. I cut short the ride I had in mind as we have visitors at 2pm. So we did the standard Waresley GC loop.

Once there I received the catastrophic news that there were no custard tarts....

I had to console myself with
A57CE5E3-874F-4ACF-9A6C-0829F1BC2332.jpeg

Not too shabby.

Plenty of kestrels and buzzards, but no fieldfare and redwing. We were heartened to see a flock of 20+ lapwing near home.

6E1FEDDC-8FF8-460C-9ED6-60012CC1C151.jpeg

Just over 25 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1971612415

Top Bottom