Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A glorious day to have a birthday, today. Started the day by heading off out on my 29th club ride of the year. Great company (11 of us in all) and glorious sunny, cloudless weather. We did a pretty flat ride in the Berkeley Vale, out via Stonehouse, Eastington, Cambridge, Gossington and Purton before stopping at Berkeley for cakes. Disappointingly, the yurt at Berkeley Castle was closed, and will be until 1 April 2019, so we had to do an about turn and head for the Berkeley Tea Rooms instead. Strangely, the headwind we'd ridden into to get to Berkeley had changed to a headwind all the way home .... and it was a bit of a slog back up the A38 to Frampton. Another great ride out, though. Got to chat to just about everybody at one time or another along the way, and ended up with another 41.3 miles to add to my year's total. When I got home, I tore into my prezzies and have been sat admiring my new Brooks saddle and saddle bag combo. Apparently there is some sort of wizardry required to soften up the leather before I use it for the first time ..... something about olive oil and leather conditioner and heating it up, etc, etc. Takes me back to my days of preparing the perfect battle-ready conker.
Cheers, Donger.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A glorious day to have a birthday, today. Started the day by heading off out on my 29th club ride of the year. Great company (11 of us in all) and glorious sunny, cloudless weather. We did a pretty flat ride in the Berkeley Vale, out via Stonehouse, Eastington, Cambridge, Gossington and Purton before stopping at Berkeley for cakes. Disappointingly, the yurt at Berkeley Castle was closed, and will be until 1 April 2019, so we had to do an about turn and head for the Berkeley Tea Rooms instead. Strangely, the headwind we'd ridden into to get to Berkeley had changed to a headwind all the way home .... and it was a bit of a slog back up the A38 to Frampton. Another great ride out, though. Got to chat to just about everybody at one time or another along the way, and ended up with another 41.3 miles to add to my year's total. When I got home, I tore into my prezzies and have been sat admiring my new Brooks saddle and saddle bag combo. Apparently there is some sort of wizardry required to soften up the leather before I use it for the first time ..... something about olive oil and leather conditioner and heating it up, etc, etc. Takes me back to my days of preparing the perfect battle-ready conker.
Cheers, Donger.

Happy Birthday Donger. :birthday:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ruddy orrible
cold and windy , hands were so numb that i couldnt change gear properly even with good gloves and liners.
changed the rear tyre as the old one had a cut in it and the new one had me sliding about on wet corners so badly i had to really back off just to stay upright .
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1971955839/embed/e2a714a8db77d47f894b7dd355db5ba054036156
'></iframe>

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Cheers, Donger.

Happy birthday, Donger! :birthday::cheers:

13 rider

Guru
Out the door at 0900 target was this month's metric century ride and bag a few veloviewer squares . Destination Long Eaton and Nottingham . Anstey ,Quorn ,Sutton Bonnington ,Keyworth ,Long Eaton .First dead end for a square down meadow lane and back . Through Long Eaton onto the A6005 a very busy road but it had a nice cycle path beside it past the retail which was silly busy and into Attenborough nature reserve . Slow progress down the shared path at the side of the river as it was busy with walkers . On to the canal towpath which was deserted over the river and the side roads around Trent bridge cricket ground . Onto the national watersports centre at Holme Pierrepont . Round the 2000 mts rowing course which had a headwind out :sad: but tailwind back :smile: .The end of square grabbing so familiar roads home . Tollerton ,Plumtree ,Willoughby ,Wymeswold ,Barrow and home . 71 miles in the bag so metric century ticked off :wahhey: ,17 new squares . A very steady ride at 14.4 mph the shared path killed the average but it was a lovely ride alongside the Trent . Got the clothing right and always just toastie all ride .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Still not quite firing on all cylinders this morning, but the sun was out and it was too nice not to get an hour under the wheels.

Coal Road (again!) and into an unexpectedly stiff headwind, so pleased to turn onto Red Hall Lane, then the A58 and onto Whin Moor Lane for the wend between the fields to Shadwell. Right instead of left at the junction and descended back all the way through the village to Carr Lane and the climb up to the A58 again and then the ups and downs to Thorner.
At the top of the climb through the S-bends I was aware of a couple of vehicles behind me, and as we were approaching the single track bit I pulled in to let them through. My kindness was then rewarded by being flashed through the following downhill section by a driver approaching from the opposite direction. :okay:

On the edge of the village I stopped by Kirkfields for a quick photo in front of the former Thorner Methodist Church (now apartments) - it's one I've been meaning to take for a while and I should have probably waited for better conditions as the low sun didn't help, but here we go anyway:
IMG_20181118_103025543_BURST001b.jpg

Back on the bike and another right onto Main Street through the village and past the Beehive to tackle the climb back up Sandhills, which passed without incident until an a*se in an Audi decided to pass close enough to touch despite having all the room in the world to move over. :cursing:
Still, that bit of adrenaline saw me to the top and onto Skeltons Lane, then back to Coal Road, where a quick scoot along there saw me onto local roads down to home, with a long loop around the block to round the mileage up.

10.31 miles (16.59 km) in 54m at an average of 12.1 mph with just 472ft climbed and an average temperature of 5.7°C

No records broken today, but I enjoyed that and reckon it was just about right under the circumstances - and getting any miles in has to be better than no miles, doesn't it?

And to end, the map:
18112018.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Well at the nth attempt this Autumn made it to Wetherby. Headed south west following NCN67 downhill through the Harrogate Showground
showground-1.jpg

up Rudding Lane and off the NCN onto the A658
A658-1.jpg

News this weekend that Sustrans are going to improve the NCN subway under the A658 (clear it and its ramped approaches of mud presumably ). Then back on the NCN route through Follifoot
Follifoot-1.jpg

to Spofforth and thence on the A661, a bit quieter in these parts compared to usual gridlock further north.
A661-1.jpg

Stopped by the River Wharfe at Wetherby
wetherbyriver-1.jpg

then north through Kirk Deighton,
Kirk Deighton-1.jpg

and a looping route home via Farnham and Killinghall. Was held up at Little Ribston as I gave up with my bodged mounting of the Halfords front light so that it was the right way up (it kept on facing downwards) and fitted it as intended upside down off the combined Garmin mount. The wind was annoying- it never seemed not to be a cross or head wind regardless of whatever direction I headed and not fancying the final climb on what would be the usual route I turned west to gain a downhill run home, totalling 33.63 miles with 1658ft of climbing and an average speed of 13.8mph
18-11 route.jpg

18-11 elevation.jpg

Nice sunny ride out with the better half to Cambridge via Wicken and White fens to Lode and then on through Cambridge for some shopping and refreshments.

A few pics;

IMG_2929.jpg

Some Geese in the distance.

IMG_2929.jpg
=

IMG_2930.jpg

A Highland cow wondering where the hills are.

IMG_2931.jpg

New Mill Road mosque under construction in Cambridge

IMG_2934.jpg

Shopping stop.

IMG_2932.jpg

Ridley X-Trail and Kona Smoke(aka Smokey)

IMG_2935.jpg

Coffee and Pastel de nata at Espresso Library

https://www.strava.com/activities/1971594212

Top Bottom