Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Hello everyone..!

After 2 days of downpouring here in Malaga (OK 1 1/2) I was back on the bike today, the sort of ride that is cool because someone gets on the road bike for the first time and you can destroy them.. sorry guide them to make the experience as painful, I mean enjoyable as possible.

46507304_1890043221091089_2387877301179121664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

The guy on the left of the pic is the new one. I set out at a nice pace keeping an eye on him and asking every now and then.. He is a very good MTBiker and strong as well just new to the road bike.

The ride? https://www.strava.com/activities/1973871539

If you don't click on it let me tell you it was 61 km, 650 meters of climbing and an average speed of 31 km/h

Temperature? Don't hate me... 19 average at 4 pm.

See you tomorrow...! There should be mountains.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunday's ride. There was no frost forecast on Saturday night as far as I could tell from any weather site and no sign of any on Sunday morning and my thermometer confirmed the minimum overnight temperature as 5C. The cooncil however had other ideas and had chucked enough salt on the roads to satisfy a sumo wrestler with a severe garden slug problem. That would normally mean the summer bike is left at home, but as it needs a good wash down before its winter strip down I took it out anyway for one last ride. I successfully managed to get home without being too knackered or cold to give it that much needed wash.
For 15 miles or so north of the Roman fort at Trimontium the line of their road is uncertain. This is one of the candidates, a road documented in medieval times that may have been built on top of a roman road. It also heads straight towards Trimontium, or their signal station on Eildon Hill North, which is the left of the two hills visible from here.

IMG_20181118_142220[1].jpg

And looking north -

IMG_20181118_142230[1].jpg

One of these days I'll buy a mountain bike and explore this road, but today I only crossed it a right angles and kept to the tarmac (and salt).

Further east it was becoming a bit hazy. There was still some mist in the Teviot valley that hadn't cleared. This view looks south over Teviotdale towards the Cheviots and the border.

IMG_20181118_151305[1].jpg

Further west again the low hazy sunshine made for quite an atmospheric shot.

IMG_20181118_153835[1].jpg

Sunday's map -

upload_2018-11-19_21-45-17.png

33.00 miles @ 13.8 mph, 2649 feet up and down.

pjd57

Veteran
Chilly morning in Glasgow.
Joined up with Free wheel north for a run over to Bellahouston park.

Pleased to see that Strava is working properly on my new phone. Last one was more straight lines than anything else so it's been ditched after only 4 months. ( Nokia 5 )

Screenshot_20181119-234701.png
16 mile round trip including a lap of the cycle track.

[QUOTE 5420990, member: 9609"]A wild day over the moors, pics make it look quite nice but the windward section over the top was brutal
View attachment 435322 View attachment 435323 View attachment 435324 View attachment 435325 View attachment 435326 View attachment 435327 View attachment 435328 View attachment 435329 View attachment 435330 [/QUOTE]
I know I have said before User9609 but I just have to say it again. Every time I see your reports featuring this bike it makes me realise that you just do not need the latest expensive steed to get out there and enjoy yourself.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
A segment battle between a group of friends so...

Just to get a personal best and to beat someone else from town… We have a competition going on with the local guys.

Prize? 6 1 liter beer bottles on Sunday.

Result?

L4Yiyf1.png

Where did I ride to?

46495796_1891198207642257_6633398747529216000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

Remember this place?

46474610_1891198180975593_8586581425132666880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

The ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/1975555559

The problem is that now everyone is going to be tackling this segment from that group of friends..

slow scot

Veteran
[QUOTE 5447554, member: 9609"]thankyou - I do often think about getting a new bike, something a lot lighter for the hills would be good, But then I do get myself attached to old machines whether it be Vans, trucks, lawn mowers or bikes. I get a lot of pleasure out of just keeping them going. And I'm not really sure if a high tech modern bike would be less maintenance (probably more)

so its a win win win, I get to ride through some wonderful countryside, keep an old machine going at the same time, and best of all its cheap[/QUOTE]
Fair enough, but you do use a state of the art Cateye Mity3 computer!

Old jon

Guru
Well, I have been accused of optimism before and I certainly exercised it this morning. Amongst other things the weather was wet and a ride was wanted. So I waited till the rain stopped. And off I did go.

It was cold. The thought was to warm up along the towpath, after the Holbeck Navigation Exercise, but it was not until half way up Cardigan Road that the circulation was doing well and things were moving properly. Right and left to ride up Otley Road all the way to Lawnswood and then turn right to ride along Church Lane towards Adel Dam. Decision to make after this, turn left for Golden Acre Park or straight on for the delights of Eccup? The place sounding like a problem of wind was chosen.

The road leads on to the end of Eccup reservoir and then to the A 61. Take the right turn, and at the lights turn left onto Wigton Lane. Big mansion country leads the way to Slaid Hill and another right and left goes to Shadwell. Oh ‘eck, I’ve ridden enough miles, am running out of time and I am repeating a bit of the last ride I did. All miles count, so Gatelands Lane it is and along to the A 58. Did the usual whizz from the Ring Road but the ride towards the town centre suffered a diversion, quite a length of Roseville Road was cordoned off. Probably added a whole 200 yards to my journey of 22 miles this morning, but that is fine. Over the Aire again, through a bit of Hunslet and up the road to home. A grin for reaching the end of the street, knowing how warm the house is that is now in sight. Another good one.

Garmin Cartography

21112018.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B rolled up at the exact moment I turned up in Upton. Pete M appeared very soon after. Cold and damp meant we altered the route to a shorter one. So Fladbury was the thought. Things got a tad painful for Pete as his hands froze up. We almost shortened things again but John's spare gloves did the trick. With the rain being in an off on mode we didn't get too wet, just damp. The cafe appeared and we were grateful for some refuge.

Eventually we had to depart. The clouds were parting and even some blue could be seen overhead. We cracked on up onto the flanks of Bredon Hill for our standard run back by the Combertons. Pete returned John's gloves as he left us at Upton while I lead John on my usual quiet way back which, apparently, he doesn't ride very often. Quite a good ride despite the cold and wet. Certainly better than watching the weather from indoors. 53 smiles

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sunny with a chilly easterly last Sunday. Everyone otherwise engaged so embarked on a long solo Peak District ride

Off up Snake Pass into a 20mph headwind near the top. Bottom gear (36-28) despite it only being 7%. Not the toughest climb of the day however....

Made it to Bradwell and took on "The Beast". 1.4km averaging 11% with a section above 20%. Really hard climbing.

IMG_20181118_112252.jpg

Onto Buxton with a nice lunch at Pavilion Cafe

IMG_20181118_121728.jpg

Up over the Cat and Fiddle. Down via Bollington, Poynton Marple and home to Glossop

62 miles all in with 5,300ft of climbing.

Went to watch Culture Club that evening and still managed a modest groove

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Managed to get out for a little 25 miles lunch time, was a bit of a wind blowing. Getting the climbing bike ready for Calpe, Have not used it much this year as i prefere the aero bike, Had to change a few things when i got back, ready for another outing as soon as we get a few hours of descent weather.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1977069631#kudos

Top Bottom