Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another grey day. Sara P and Steve E in the Green. We headed off but Derek B called so I stopped for a quick chat. That meant I was chasing the other two. I caught up just as we came to a stop in Upton. John G, Pete M, Jules H and Margaret PR were waiting. Steve called the Apperley run to Tewkesbury. John had only come for the chat so headed in the opposite direction after I'd been delayed chatting with him. So I had another chase on my hands. Pete and Margaret were rolling a bit slower for me so I made it on after the Tunnel Hill ramp. Our route was fairly standard and despite dead legs I was riding with the group OK. That changed when we hit the headwind section into Tewkesbury. I just couldn't get the pedals round. Traffic in Tewkesbury allowed me to get back almost and then we were at the cafe. June P was there so we had a chat mostly about Ralph R who is undergoing cancer treatment. So far so good. After much chat we took to the loop by the White Rabbit. Jules headed back with Sara at Upton while Margaret was home. Pete gave Steve a lift which left little old me to ride back on my lonesome. That was fine as I just wanted to roll at my own pace. 44 smiles.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The plan was a day off of DIY, but it didn't quite work out. More bathroom stuff, but I did get out after lunch to take SWMBO library books back before a bimble into Egham for dinner bits. Another nearly today, this one didn't even bother looking, about 2 mins in, sorry for the rude word...

RND_17.JPG

Nothing too exciting today: just riding to work and back with a bit of exploring on the way:
  • Cycle to tram stop on the Xtracycle, catch tram a bit of the way into Stuttgart.
  • Decided that as it's Saturday and the roads are empty I'd get off the tram a bit sooner and try a different route to work.
  • Ride down a residential street to traffic lights expected to wait for ages because I always have to on pedestrian lights here, but the lights changed quite quickly.
  • Rolled along a slightly more busy road for about 2k, scarcely slower than traffic, so a car following me just catches up at Galbenberg (part of Stuttgart).
  • Turn onto main road through Galbenberg, car behind roars past then has to wait for a Porsche to turn, blocking the road where a bike could have got through easily.
  • Wave at driver through window.
  • The Porsche driver gets himself sorted out and the car in front accelerates away.It's still downhill, so I can easily pace him. He filters right at a junction with the main road out of Stuttgart, and I filter left. As everyone else is filtering right, I pass him again.
  • Wave at driver again. He ignores me.
  • Expect a long wait again, and again the lights change very fast. Cross main road and turn under the archway to work. Unlock door, take bike down into theatre and park it in the light booth...
  • The point of riding the Xtracycle was that I can carry the frame for the slowly developing randonneur bike, so on the return I strap the frame with newly welded gear bosses onto the Xtracycle and ride up the hill.
  • Riding down uphill on a very narrow residential street with cars parked on the left hand side. A BMW comes the other way, and instead of waiting decided to drive towards me. On my side of the road, down a gap barely wider then a BMW. When we meet he waves me to the side.
  • I point out that there's about 20cm of space between his car and the pavement.
  • He reluctantly reverses so I can pass.
  • I wave to say thank you.
  • He ignores me too.
  • Up hill, overtake a large bloke on a very old mountain bike. He asks if I'm riding an Ebike. Feel guilty that I'm about to get on a tram.
  • Reach tram stop. Bike on tram. Up hill, Ride the last bit over the fields...

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Missus went to London today, as I'm taking her to the station I told her I didn't feel like going for a long ride :ohmy:

Get home around 7am and decide to head out and see how I feel. I had three routes planned. 65 miler to Derby train station, an 85 miler also to Derby station (courtesy of @tallliman) and a 105 miler that didn't go to Derby station.

Pretty much the first 55 miles or so are identical on all three routes so load the 105 mile route and set off. After 10 miles or so I'm getting into the mood of it and decide I'm going to do at least the 65 miler.

Very easy first 40 odd miles, very flat and not a lot of wind. Then I hit the climbing and the headwind, it was only 15 miles or so, but I seemed to be constantly going up, into a wind and the roads were narrow and muddy, by the time I got to the turning point for the 85 mile route I turned to go into Derby leaving me with the 65 miler or the 105 miler option

As I headed into Derby it started to rain and I was ready to go to the station, but as quickly as that it stopped, so I carried on. Got onto a fantastic cycle path along the Derwent and behind Pride Park, some parts of it were wide enough for a car and the tarmac was perfect.

Cycle paths took me all the way to Swarkestone, where I went over the fantastic causeway before climbing through Melbourne and up to Breedon. 75 miles done and I was at the cafe. Can of Fanta, cup of coffee and a sausage and tomato sandwich later I was ready for the last climb of the day. Through Tonge, out to Hathern and then a straight run into Loughborough along the A6 before heading to Cossington and through the parks for a nice flat run home

When I picked our lass up she asked me how far I went, 105 miles I replied. "Nutter," was hers.

@13 rider - if you get as far as Derby tomorrow there were signs up saying the main cycle paths were closed for a race - might be the same one we hit t'other year

https://www.strava.com/activities/1982284758

Those roads to the west of Derby are all like that to be fair....small and muddy. Lovely lanes for a summers day though!

This is about to start here: we have no hedges or fences and ploughing tractors turn around on the roads leaving a right mess.

And of course I find this out when I'm riding to work in the dark.

Oh, and in the early morning the lumps are often frozen solid...

I always watch New Minis because from experience they tend to be badly driven. Looks like it's an international phenomenon.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I could get used to having days off ^_^
A wee 30 (29 really :laugh:) miles with some of the Glasgow Belles on Bikes, very mellow social ride along traffic free lanes, on a dull and drizzly day.
We left the city at Glasgow Green to head to Paisley on route 7.
This is the second time one of the women turns up on an EBike and I'm faster than them on my pedal tank ... maybe time to change forum name? :laugh:
The bird bath in my garden had iced up, I was expecting some icy patches along the route, all good though, just slimy leaves to watch out for.
The well known terracotta fountain at the People's Palace, in Glasgow Green, a starting point for many of our rides:
IMG_20181124_094023223.jpg

Pollock park, wet and overcast, is still a nice ride. We rode through it on our way to Paisley.
IMG_20181124_134600775.jpg

Who is storing tensa barriers poles in the bike park??
IMG_20181124_114834538.jpg

A view from Bells bridge taken on our return, the sun was trying to make an appearance. Didn't last long.
From left to right:
The newly built Radisson Red, the North Rotunda (a restaurant complex), the famous Glasgow Crane, the Hilton Garden inn, the "Squiggly" bridge, some houses and the Premier Inn across the Clyde.
IMG_20181124_141858111.jpg

Annual-leave today, but for 'family reasons', so no ride to even think about

Days-off. for next week, are Mon/Tues. so possibly out?

A busy day ahead so if I wanted to grab a ride I needed to get out and back early. I decided to do a route I've done before which is from the lowest to the highest elevation in Leeds
I'd have thought there were lower points in Leeds, than City Square
Unless you're counting inside the old 'Bar Stones'?

Looking at it, simply with a 'LS' postcode, I'd think around Allerton Bywater??

So a 5.30 start in the dark and straight down into Leeds and the lowest spot in by the canal basin.
From there it was around City Square under the gaze of the Black Prince:
View attachment 440138
A lovely piece of Victoriana

past the Leeds General Infirmary and straight onto Otley Road going north, making for the highest spot in Leeds which is Cookridge Tower in......er? Cookridge.

View attachment 440139
I thought I had a couple of aerial photographs of the Comms Tower, taken on a return flight from Malta (last month), but the best I can do is St Peters/River AIre, & Tetley Museum (if is still in use as that?)

colly

Re member eR
I'd have thought there were lower points in Leeds, than City Square
Unless you're counting inside the old 'Bar Stones'?

I think your'e right, Allerton Bywater is probably around 150ft lower in fact, maybe more. But for convenience I just took it from Leeds City.
Even then I didn't come right past the lowest spot in practice. Within 30ft or so vertically..

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A quick write up from a short ride.

Up this morning with the best of intentions, forecast for chilly but dry.
Set off just after 9, with a bit of drizzle in the air. Within half a mile I stopped to put my waterproof jacket on.
Carried on up Coal Road and Skeltons Lane into a stiff breeze and strengthning rain.
Ah well, I'm out now and I won't get any dryer turning for home, so on down Sandhills into Thorner.
Into the village and the rain continued and by the time I reached the Mexborough Arms I was really feeling the cold, so turned up Carr Lane with the dual intention of 1) the climb would warm me up and 2) I could head for home if the weather didn't improve.
Marginally warmer but considerably damper at the junction with Wetherby Road, I turned for home, back up Coal Road and then added a loop around to at least try to make the mileage look respectable.

8.8 miles in 46 mins at an average of just 12.0 mph with just 367 ft climbed and a chilly average temperature of just 2.0 °C

Still, every mile counts and as I type this, the sun is trying to peek through the clouds so I might not get soaked walking the dog this afternoon...

Sorry, no photos as I didn't stop, but here's the map to end:
25112018.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom