Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
strava6131765107158676771.jpg
Cold morning in Glasgow , nothing planned , but Mrs had a couple errands lined up for me.
So a pleasant run down the canal from Maryhill to Anniesland then on to Partick then along the Kelvin to Woodlands to get something printed.
Finished my loop on the Kelvin then back on to the canal .

12 chilly but pleasant miles

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Felt the need for some sort of ride today, so stuck on the winter boots and took Patsy #3 The Hybrid for a spin around some of the parks of Ipswich. I don't know if it's psychological, or 'marginal gains' territory, but being clipped in on a hybrid in everyday clothing gives me a little more punch to race around. I think I surprised a few motorists by keeping up with the traffic.

Gloomy weather, but I came back home feeling happy. :okay:

Old jon

Guru
A cold and misty morning here in Leeds, and an early ( ish ) physiotherapy appointment for me so as has become the habit off I go on the fixed. With the full intention of riding more miles than were needed on the return journey.

This did not happen, mostly because of the temperature outdoors. Walking to the bike racks, unlocking it, lights back on and all that lost any warmth I might have carried from the physiotherapy department. Slowing down for the first time, ‘What is that noise?’ Nothing stuck in the tyre or on the rim so ride on. Brake, noise, look again. One brake shoe a millimetre high, or thereabouts, and has overlapped the rim to touch the tyre. A dilemma. If I stop now and move the brake block I have even colder hands. If I ride on, how much damage will the tyre suffer? Solution, go home, put things right in the warmth of the house. So, eight miles after leaving home, there I am back again after eight miles, complete with silly grin. Both brake shoes not as tight as I would have liked them to be, something else to check, monthly should be often enough.

These maps do teach me things. Just off the top right of this one is a Yorkshire Water Authority covered reservoir. I thought I knew that area . . .

23112018.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Grey, cold and damp. I girded my loins and headed out on the standard loop. Several other riders were out and about and everyone seemed OK to say "Hi". The run south was fine and even the hilly bits were OK. There were no views from Woolridge today. Just a deep murk laying all around. The trouble started down on the Hams where a nagging chill wind hindered my northerly progress. It was quite miserable really but I've ridden in worse. It was just a question of turning the pedals and making steady progress. Little else to report on this one other than Raven, Buzzard (very close indeed) and winter Thrushes. I was glad to get back into the warm at the end. 47 smiles (including some grimaces) today.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
13 miles on the roadbike last night around town during rush hour, I used to like it at that time when I commuted locally, busy, makes you alert. Felt good despite having the sneezes a few times recently but no cold has developed so all good.
28 miles on the ebike today, commuting for a change, temps good, not too much traffic although 50 to 60 mph passing cars and vans isn't that much fun...No problems though.
As I was leaving work at 15.30, Vika, assistant line manager saw me getting ready the bike....
'Colin, where do you live ?' :huh:
'Peterborough '
'FFS :wacko:..are you crazy?'
'Its 14 miles, an hours ride, no problem
'Did you ride to work this morning ?'
'Errr, yeah ':laugh:
'You're crazy :tongue:'

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Wetter than a wet thing that got wet, this precipitation wasn't forecast but luckily I had my waterproof jacket. Still not nice when it's 2oc

View: https://youtu.be/G-udqc8BktA

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A few days off for me - days off? what's that?? :laugh: decided to get my bum in gear and do some non commuting outings.
As the most used cycling routes in the area pass right by my work, I had to head into work again! :rolleyes:
I joined Freewheel North at the Green Friday's ride, it was 16 of us today, heading, in a very roundabout way, to Lambhill Stables, a cafe cum cycling hub on the Forth and Clyde canal.
Today the leader exceeded himself on a route of twisty, muddy, slippery segregated paths: all the bits off road around Glasgow I dislike most were included on this ride :laugh:
The weather was a balmy 7 degrees, the company great, good to see friends I had not seen for months due to my shift work.
Some pictures at Lambhill, with a view of the Possil march nature reserve behind the cafe, and what's left of the Antonine walls of roman era.
IMG_20181123_114550857.jpg
IMG_20181123_121038380.jpg
IMG_20181123_121123798.jpg
IMG_20181123_121324974.jpg

Here is Rocket Man, made of rubbish discarded along the canal:
IMG_20181123_121444360.jpg

A view of the nature reserve, just behind Rocket Man.
Possil lake, home of all kinds of birds and other wildlife: you'd have to walk 30 min to it, maybe one day I'll leave the bike at the hub to do this.

IMG_20181123_121637291.jpg

The return to the city route had an unexpected twist: we left the canal, rode up a short hill, then were faced with the most spectacular view of Glasgow:
IMG_20181123_125018868.jpg

Lovely ... but the descend, supposed to be part of a new cycling facility, is paved with gravel!
My cycling skills are not up to this :eek:
IMG_20181123_125202300.jpg
For the locals, this is Hamilton hill, nowhere near Hamilton by the way.
This path leads to Speirs Warf, then to town or to the west end via some dubious cycle routes.
Anyway, that was about 20 miles.
When we got back to the Green I was feeling a wee bit rattled inside, this ride was a bit beyond my capabilities (I can't do twisty turns), so I decided to carry on along the Clyde to Cambuslang, the next town after Rutherglen, where I live.
This is a lovely ride, on woodland along the river.
I stopped in Morrisson's for some cake to take home :hungry: then retraced my tracks, having considered briefly joining the main road instead.
It would have been half of the distance to get home, but twice the stress due to the heavy traffic, so I went back along the path.
Another 13 miles, got home de-stressed.
longest mileage I've done for a few months, planning the same tomorrow ^_^
The river path to Cambuslang:
IMG_20181123_142742842.jpg

IMG_20181123_154459480.jpg Cake!!!!

colly

Re member eR
A busy day ahead so if I wanted to grab a ride I needed to get out and back early. I decided to do a route I've done before which is from the lowest to the highest elevation in Leeds. It never ceases to amaze me that even at 5.30/6.00am places in the centre are still thumping with music and people are out drinking and having a good time. Probably after a good night before hand..............or maybe getting in an early start.:eek: Who can say?

So a 5.30 start in the dark and straight down into Leeds and the lowest spot in by the canal basin.
From there it was around City Square under the gaze of the Black Prince:
1024px-The_Black_Prince_City_Square_27_May_2018_1.jpg

past the Leeds General Infirmary and straight onto Otley Road going north, making for the highest spot in Leeds which is Cookridge Tower in......er? Cookridge.

800px-TinshillBT1.jpg

Apart from a dip going through Headingley it's uphill all the way so it's a bit of a leg stretcher. Down and up again and into the centre of Bramhope, a right and down to Otley Road again but back towards town.
Up King Lane past the quarry, around the reservoir at Eccup and back home. The darkness just being edged out a tad by the sun still below the easter horizon.

Set for the day now.:smile:

22 miles with about 1300ft of up. Fixed.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/29756085

Photos by courtesy of Wiki.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just before I left the house I decided to put a base layer on and pit my Buff in my pocket.... a good decision!

Out destination was St Ives. Along the way through Connington we saw several fields brim full of Lapwing. There were also big flocks of mixed thrushes about. The Gloucester cattle were there too.

Once in St Ives we stopped at Tom’s Cakes. I had carrot and orange, Jo had an Eccles cake
5BBD99F2-C86A-45EF-A17F-85722AC117EE.jpeg

They tasted as good as they looked!

Down the busway passing a multitude of ducks and mute swans. We departed the busway in Oakington.

“Dry Drayton or Girton?” I asked...

“Dry Drayton” was the reply. The direct route then....

Along for a mile then up over the A14 bridge and down to find the road being dug up as part of the A14 works. About turn, back a mile and through Girton! I should never listen to her!

Almost 32 miles once home, both of us with chilly feet!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1982247034

13 rider

Guru
Out today for a lunch meeting with big sister at nice pie at 12.30 so out for a couple of hours first .Fairly standard Saturday loop out to Gaddesby just before nice pie as I was rejoining the main road a velomobile ( a recumbent with full fairings ) flew by . I tried to chase it down despite doing over 28mph he was still going away from me :surrender: boy was he shifting . I want a go in one . Got to nice pie with 31 miles in the bag I'm 16 miles from home so need to find a 3 extra miles on the way home to get a imperial half century in I'm not obsessed with distance at all :wacko:. After refuelling with my regular beans on toast it's back out on the back .Paudy lane downhill was a great today with a tailwind for a change on to Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Swithland and home 51 miles . Bit chilly but just about got the clothing right

Top Bottom