Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
A03B0D5A-6B52-4EC0-9477-1DB2A8D8B78C.jpeg
Lovely afternoon up here, so jobs having been completed I grabbed the last couple of hours daylight and rode just over 20 miles on my Rotrax. Me and the bike have a combined age of 135 ^_^

https://strava.app.link/bHwtCZI3RR

C R

Guru
Glorious and warm morning, so went for a quick 10 mile at lunchtime. Still in shorts in mid November!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally found time this month to get the metric 100 in. It was a bit grey & gloomy to start with, but about an hour in, the clouds cleared and it turrned into a lovely day. One slight problem in that I got into Ipswich and reached down for a drink only to find an empty bottle cage - I'd left the drinks bottle in the fridge so had to make a quick stop to buy a bottle of Luccozade Sport for the ride.

Another mixture of regular roads used - up one side of the River Orwell through Levington and Nacton into Ipswich and then down the other side of the river to Shotley, across to East Bergholt and up to Holton St. Mary. Then up to Claydon via Washbrooke, Sproughton & Bramford before heading back home via Westerfield, Rushmere & Bucklesham.

Route.png
Stats.png

Old jon

Guru
A bit grey and misty outdoors this morning, just when a smidgeon of encouragement would have been wonderful. So, in the nicest possible way, I legged myself up and wheeled the Ellis Briggs out for a ride.

Grey and misty does a favour to Hunslet, it hides a few of the grottier bits from sight. Being fair, it is a lot less awful than it used to was but the road out and up to John O’ Gaunts is a good escape. Back in the ‘burbs of Oulton and Woodlesford, across the canal and river and another climb to Swillington. That bit of road can be busy, today it was not, so straight along, pass the church and leave the village behind on the way to Garforth. There was a thought floating in the space between my ears to climb Garforth Cliff today. Nah! Maybe next time. So continue along the A 642 past the station and across that enormous roundabout towards Lotherton.

Take the left turn opposite the gates, it’s a bit up and down to Aberford. That odd couple of houses all alone surrounded by open fields always make me wonder. What happens if you do not get on with your one and only neighbour? Who takes your deliveries for you? How do you grumble about the mad old bat at the end of the street? Anyway, banish those thoughts and ride through Aberford, take the left for Barwick and enjoy some more climbs and descents. On the way, I glanced into the windows of Tina’s Tea Rooms. It gives the impression of a furniture showroom. Upholstered armchairs in light colours. Delicate tables with curved legs. The kind of place I doubt I would feel comfortable in. So, I did not enter, just kept plugging away up that hill. Which ends eventually. A short drop then rising road all the way through Scholes until the bridge is crossed. The A 64 is next for the short ride to the end of Thorner Lane, along there to Skeltons Lane which leads to Red Hall Lane and the A 58. Turn left, whizz down the hill and after the right turn and that wicked little climb by the spare gates to the park, pass the clock at Oakwood and its Roundhay Road towards Leeds centre. Cross the Aire for the second time this ride and up Leathley Road in the direction of home. A total of 28.3 miles made me grin, 958 feet of climbing made my legs ache. Pretty good.

Just once ( every ride )

16112018.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Horrible drizzle this morning, so I started with some more NEBOSH report whilst I waited in the for the bathroom to be delivered. After that a 4 mile amble to the high street and a migraine so bed for me:sad: Up lunchtime and hungry as always after one of them, so food, dog walk and then out on the Van Nic to clear my head. Usual place, up through Virginia Water, through the Wentworth estate, quick lap of Windsor Great Park and home on 23 miles. At least it was dry this afternoon.

Horrible drizzle this morning, so I started with some more NEBOSH report whilst I waited in the for the bathroom to be delivered. After that a 4 mile amble to the high street and a migraine so bed for me:sad: Up lunchtime and hungry as always after one of them, so food, dog walk and then out on the Van Nic to clear my head. Usual place, up through Virginia Water, through the Wentworth estate, quick lap of Windsor Great Park and home on 23 miles. At least it was dry this afternoon.

Migranes are thoroughly unpleasant, you have my sympathy.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M was waiting in Colwall. We headed for Bosbury under grey skies but it was fairly warm with little wind if any. For a change we rode Harbour Hill before heading for Yarkhill and on for Larport. pete had been persuaded to climb the Marcles from the west. It's one of the longer ones albeit with some down as well as up. Steep to Clouds, then a reprieve of down before a steady ramp with steep sections. The final part is a bit of a struggle up into the wood. We dropped away to Trumpet and the cafe.

Pete thought it would be good to take a shorter route back so we looped by Falcon Lane for Ledbury and the little climbs over into the little valley between the Malverns and Wellington Heath. Soon we were back in Colwall with Pete heading home. I took the Evendine climb for the Wyche and put my lights on for the descent and easy run in. Lovely wee outing today. 49 smiles

Mr Celine

Discordian
Fab sunny day so flexied off w*rk as early as possible and managed to be on the road at 3:40, after fitting every light I had to the summer bike, which seemed the best choice of steed as my thermometer was showing a balmy 13C. Needless to say it clouded over and with sunset officially being at 4:07 or thereabouts it did get dark, though I only needed my 'be seen' lights until the top of the swire climb, where I stopped for the usual summit photo.

IMG_20181116_165141[1].jpg

Fortunately the bike lights and my helmet light work rather better than the flash on the camera phone, which refused to sync with the camera at all. Or maybe I just lack @User9609 's photographic skills.

Today's map -

upload_2018-11-16_18-47-37.png

30.0 miles @ 14.8mph 1797 feet up and down.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours

Question.

The last pic is when you come under the main road (can't remember the name) from the little Ben heading to the city center?

Lived there for almost 2 years. Miss my Belfast friends. I am posting in a couple of minutes and coincidently today I wore my Belfast cycling club kit.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Today was suppose to be an easy ride to get the weekend going. Actually the weekend will be only Saturday this weekend due to a lot of rain, lets be clear, this is not the UK, it rains so little over the year that is not worth it to go out and get wet 1 day. That said... Most likely a MTB day :laugh:

So I showed up at the park for a planned get together at 4 and leave for a 2 hour bike ride, more or less at a moderated pace. For my surprise too young, skinny and strong guys were the only other 2 to show up... Smelled like trouble.

Result? 49 km and almost 900 meter of climbing 900 x 3.5 is feet... Speed? almost 30 km/h and some personal bests in an area that I ride all the time.

The ride name? Tranquilito my ass...! (calm) https://www.strava.com/activities/1968103340

The 2 that made my life miserable today?
fullsizeoutput_3fd.jpeg

And as I promised above the comments.. That is me with my Northern Ireland cycling kit club. 0745 Rouleurs

fullsizeoutput_3fa.jpeg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Question.

The last pic is when you come under the main road (can't remember the name) from the little Ben heading to the city center?

Lived there for almost 2 years. Miss my Belfast friends. I am posting in a couple of minutes and coincidently today I wore my Belfast cycling club kit.
No fella this is in Larne, the tunnel runs out to the path following the Inver River (also connects Larne FC's grounds) I think I know where you mean though

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I needed one more ride this month to keep up with targets. Today was quiet, mild, and almost completely dry. It was also extremely overcast and I'm not sure it ever became completely light. So not a day for expansive views, and I decided to pay a visit to a couple of nearby gold-painted post boxes, and plan a route around that. And here it is (clockwise):

2018Nov16m.JPG

2018Nov16e.JPG

The boxes were in Newent and Ampney St Peter (east of Cirencester).

Strava is extremely unimpressed at how much climbing was involved, though looking at that profile I feel I must've tried a bit.

The first of the celebrated boxes is in honour of Charlotte Dujardin, outside the Post Office in Newent:

Newent1.JPG

Newent2.JPG

The big ramp after Cheltenham is on the A435 to Cirencester. It's something to be endured for the promise of better things afterwards. Unfortunately several miles of the descent have been loose chippingsed since I was last there, the first couple of miles after Seven Springs with a particularly large and vibratey stone type. For a tired cyclist heading back to Cheltenham and Gloucester (that's me on another day) they would be a particular trial. It's good to know.

After winding my way through some muddy and mossy Cotswolds lanes, I reached the second box in the tiny village of Ampney St Peter. It's a few yards along a cul-de-sac, so it won't have been seen so often. The dedicatee is Laura Bechtolsheimer (now Tomlinson):

Ampney1.JPG

Ampney2.JPG

My ex-skip bike has now completed 60 imperial centuries, way beyond my expectations for it.

Turning homewards, there's a lovely bit of road between Cerney Wick and Ashton Keynes, notably free of motorised traffic because the bridge over the disused railway is no longer strong enough for cars. I use it most times I'm in the area, and when I stopped briefly on the bridge the last of the autumn colours were putting on a brave show:

Cerney2.JPG

Strangely, none of the many great cycling roads in the Cotswold Water Park is on the National Cycle Network, but Route 45 does pass underneath the bridge on the track of the old railway:

Cerney1.JPG

One of my standard outward routes to the Cotswolds is via Nailsworth and Avening. Today I went in the opposite direction for the first time. It was mostly OK, despite the rapidly fading light, but serious roadworks with stop/go boards in Dudbridge were a bit of a trial. Perhaps best avoided for the time being. Traffic through Stonehouse was unbelivably heavy, as it was in Gloucester itself. I think I'll keep to "my" side of town through the dark months.

Top Bottom