Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well I looked at the temperature and instead rode the Wattbike Atom, indoor Smart trainer. and i do have it indoors so no having to go to cold garage

I also looked at the temperature, the heavy frost and the gentle but bitter wind at 0700 this morning. Then rode home from work:laugh: Must buy some woolly gloves, the fancy winter ones only get my hands warm after 5 miles at -3C.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was remarkably benign weather yesterday. I rode my Valley of the Rocks 200 just to check the rocks were still there. AUK gives 3,800m of climbing, so it wasn't fast, but I got home in just over eleven and a half hours. Walking a bit more slowly today.
exmoor2019.jpeg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Rainy weekend here in Malaga so there was no riding for me, come on it rains so little that is not worth it going for a ride when is wet and cold, had enough of that when I was in Belfast.

My last ride was on friday and it was a short 40 km ride with 800 meters of climbing on the MTB, there was some walking involved but I think I am getting better at it, read my words, I think.. Everyone riding with me trying to sabotage my breaks so I stop breaking on the downhills so much :tongue:

But since my life depends so much on cycling and there was something missing in it my son helped me fill that gap with a nice solid design for my taste

View attachment 448224

What do you think?

My idea behind it is that this logo will go on my business cards, letters and different documents and e-mails. Posible in the back of a jersey in a not to far future when I sit down to design one.

Thoughts?

Great start to the logo.

Logo looks good, I think I would get rid of the apostrophe and either put a space in between each word or used a different colour for 'cycling'.

You must keep the apostrophe - without it, it will not make sense and/or lose you business from people who think you can’t use punctuation. I personally avoid any businesses with incorrect spelling/grammar as I always think that if they can’t be bothered to punctuate/spell, etc. correctly then they won’t be bothered about the details in the business. Just my opinion.

If you change the colour of the word ‘cycling’ as Spiderweb mentioned then you won’t need the spaces between each word as it’ll be easy to read. If you’re keeping the text colour throughout, add the spaces. Whatever you do, your potential customer must be able to read the logo at a glance.

Good logo but 'Wheres me bleedin' bike?' as Alan Sugar would say.
"Cycling" always offers up the opportunity of a stylized person on a bike using the 2 Cs as wheels (look at Sean's graphic top of page) which could work well contained below the mountain? Just thinking out loud.

Agreed, the logo does need a bike! Or a group of cyclists!

Old jon

Guru
Another cold morning, but the birdbath was still holding water rather than ice. OK, I will pedal.

Once out of doors, it did not seem so very cold. Maybe I was determined to fool myself, an easy task. So, a bit of a wander around Holbeck and out from there heading towards the mostly rising roads to the clock at Oakwood. Traffic was not light for some reason, until well on the way up Roundhay Road. My imagination cannot invent any sort of reason for this, temporary traffic light slowdown or similar? By the time I turned left onto Princes Avenue the density of traffic ( I am saying nothing about drivers ) was about average. Much more fun to ride, though still not exactly on a level road. Despite having ridden four or five miles, I still had little idea of the rest of the route. No matter, but it would be an idea to have open country around me at some stage. Thought for the morning that continued all the way along Street Lane, ‘oh look, the A 61! Let’s turn right!!’ sort of stuff. Undecided is not the best way to ride, for me. But it stayed that way, travelling north towards Harrogate until the lights at Wigton Lane came into view, prompting me to turn right once more. And pedal all the way to Slaid Hill. Turn right and when the lights allow it turn left along Shadwell Lane, which unsurprisingly leads to Shadwell. Keep on Main Street for a while and eventually Gateland Lane appears on the right.

A short stretch of fields on both sides, almost open country. It has been a bit chilly all the way along so far, and most of the rest of the ride is going to be downhill. Usually downhill at the end is good but when it is this cold? Ride the temperature you have, I suppose. Anyway, Gateland Lane turns into Whin Moor Lane, which then reaches the A 58. Turn right yet again for the long descent that is always fun. Riding the fixed means keep on pedalling and I twiddled as quick as I could. Lack of practice had me spinning out at about 26 mph. Not too bad, the fastest I have ever managed, in two years, on this gearing ( 46 x 20 ) is 28 and a bit. Bottom of the hill, another right turn to reach that clock again. For once those awkward lights at the lower end of Easterly Road let me through without having to stop. It is quite a steep pull away from these for the first few yards. Hmm, I remember a different junction here. Not far now to home, and only the recurring roadworks of St Peter’s street to add some variety to the ride to cross the river and zigzag through a corner of Hunslet to reach the streets that lead to home. Eighteen and a half miles, a lot less climbing than it felt like and a grin on my face. Surprisingly good ride.

A small map for a short ride,

21012019.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Sometimes cycling, actually bikes, are a pain in the 'arris. I thought I'd go out again for a quick blast on the MTB again today, to run an errand and to have a go at the ABC challenges. Got all the gear on, went to the bike, the blumen' front tyre is flatter than piss on a plate. Grrrrr. Wheel off, tube out, investigate, there's a tiny hole, so I repair it, check tyre find thorn, job done replace and pump up. Down it goes again, tyre off, tube out and check, there are two more tiny holes one a seam, sand down and patch, pump and check, one patch doesn't work, try again success, one hour after I originally want to go out I'm finally away.

So a grey day, but a bit warmer than yesterday I ride to Blewbury, Aston Tirrold where I go to find the sign posts as per ABC challenge, stop for a cuppa and sarny at the cafe in Cholsey and head back, discovered some new tracks too, all the bridleways are wet and stick, riding was slow and challenging in places.

Some piccies.

IMG_7723.jpg

Tim Henman lives in this villgae

IMG_7724.jpg

Don't see many of these.

IMG_7725.jpg

Just in case I couldn't find the village sign.
IMG_7726.jpg

Found it.

IMG_7727.jpg

Nearly home.

ABC1.jpg

Last edited:
Rainy weekend here in Malaga so there was no riding for me, come on it rains so little that is not worth it going for a ride when is wet and cold, had enough of that when I was in Belfast.

My last ride was on friday and it was a short 40 km ride with 800 meters of climbing on the MTB, there was some walking involved but I think I am getting better at it, read my words, I think.. Everyone riding with me trying to sabotage my breaks so I stop breaking on the downhills so much :tongue:

But since my life depends so much on cycling and there was something missing in it my son helped me fill that gap with a nice solid design for my taste

View attachment 448224

What do you think?

My idea behind it is that this logo will go on my business cards, letters and different documents and e-mails. Posible in the back of a jersey in a not to far future when I sit down to design one.

Thoughts?

As others have said, good start. And I'd have the word "cycling" picked out in yellow. Because that's generally a colour that a lot of people will associate with cycling.

Other thing that gets me is the spacing of the letters - it's very squashed together and hard to read. I'd suggest making your logo wider than it's tall if you want to keep all the words in a single line.

And yes, where's the bike? ;) Instead of mountains, how about a stylized bike facing upwards on an incline. It would imply lots of "going up" bits ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not too bad out this afternoon so I took the chance to get some miles in. I opted for a lumpy route this time: Lyth Hill, Exford's Green, Oaks, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Walkmills, Dudgeley, Hollyhurst, Longnor, Condover and back the short way.

A pleasantly uneventful ride for the most part. It is fairly cold out and the cloud got thicker through the ride until around Dudgeley it started raining which persuaded me to push on a bit on the way back. Fortunately the wind was behind me for most of the last 10 miles which made up for it being wet.

I had a fairly long wait for a gap in the traffic to join the A49 but when it came it was a big gap so I didn't get bothered too much by other vehicles for this stretch.

A good number of people out walking again and only two cyclists, although to be fair at least half of the route I used doesn't attract many cyclists even in the height of summer.

26.6 miles at 12.5 mph average.

DSC0007332.jpg

DSC0007333.jpg

A couple of shots from Lyth Hill. Not too bad although a bit cool and cloudy.

DSC0007334.jpg

Later on at Dudgeley, the weather is closing in. At least I'll have a tailwind after crossing the main road and turning northwards again.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A bit of a pootle out to Newbourne and Waldringfield Heath to de-stress today. Managed to get a pic at the heath where the sun and a jet's contrail produced an effect of a falling firework.

photo 1.JPG

Oh, and yesterday's ride to the pub produced the strangest yell from a car-driver I've ever had. (The worst/best to date had been : 'You 'effing idiot!' - for no discernible reason.)
As a driver passed me, he lent over to the open passenger window and furiously yelled:' Get on the pavement!'

Priceless.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A bit of a pootle out to Newbourne and Waldringfield Heath to de-stress today. Managed to get a pic at the heath where the sun and a jet's contrail produced an effect of a falling firework.

View attachment 448339

Oh, and yesterday's ride to the pub produced the strangest yell from a car-driver I've ever had. (The worst/best to date had been : 'You 'effing idiot!' - for no discernible reason.)
As a driver passed me, he lent over to the open passenger window and furiously yelled:' Get on the pavement!'

Priceless.
We passed in the Warren Heath area this afternoon as you were heading for St. Augustine's Roundabout :hello:

I do enjoy an extended weekend off work, especially with the weather as good as it has been for the past couple of days - once the frost's lifted and it's warmed up a bit that is! Out again this aftrenoon on the new On One for a proper test ride - 40 miles on a fairly flat run out to Claydon and back in some glorious sunshine and light winds.
Paper Mill Lane.JPG
Screenshot_2019-01-21 Flat bar, flat route Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-01-21 Flat bar, flat route Ride Strava(1).png

https://www.strava.com/activities/2093984003

pjd57

Veteran
Not my ride but my run, ran 10 miles and as it is lighter and smaller than current phone took my old Sony Xperia. Gets back, uploads, fails, apparently since a Strava update recently older versions of Strava will not upload and my old Sony will not accept the latest incarnation of Strava.

Takes me back to the old days when I would set the tripometer in the car to measure the distance and then go on a run with my stop watch, use some crazy formula to work out mph etc. Latterly I could enter it into an excel spreadsheet!!!

Anyway if I go for a ride tomorrow faithful Moto G4 will be accompanying me.

Had nothing but trouble with a Nokia as it kept missing bits of rides.

Back to a Moto.
Perfect.

U

User6179

Not my ride but my run, ran 10 miles and as it is lighter and smaller than current phone took my old Sony Xperia. Gets back, uploads, fails, apparently since a Strava update recently older versions of Strava will not upload and my old Sony will not accept the latest incarnation of Strava.

Takes me back to the old days when I would set the tripometer in the car to measure the distance and then go on a run with my stop watch, use some crazy formula to work out mph etc. Latterly I could enter it into an excel spreadsheet!!!

Anyway if I go for a ride tomorrow faithful Moto G4 will be accompanying me.

Connect phone to PC and save the GPX file to PC, then upload file manually to Strava.

My ride today ended prematurely and saw me spend nine hours in a&e.

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Anyway in a good deal of pain now so a couple of paracetamol and off to bed.

C R

Guru
My ride today ended prematurely and saw me spend nine hours in a&e.

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Anyway in a good deal of pain now so a couple of paracetamol and off to bed.
Awful experience, hopefully the injuries are not too serious and you will heal quickly.

Top Bottom