Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last week I did a 17 mile loop from Littleborough to Slattocks and back via Newhey and Dunwood Park. I could certainly have done with the 'bike assist runner' that @ColinJ and I used near Todmorden. It was quite a heave as I lifted my bike up and down the Bridge steps over the tram line at Dunwood Park. View attachment 448422
It wouldn't be so bad with a lightweight bike but not great with the heavier bikes we are riding at this time of year. (Cue thousands of people posting that they ride their lightweight 'best' bikes all year round... :whistle: I tried that last year and wore 50% through my front wheel rim when braking on steep descents which were covered in salty gritty water. I'm not keen on having that stuff sprayed all over me either!)

As for 'my ride today' ... I looked out of my back window at lunchtime and saw blue sky and a few patchy clouds overhead. I was all set to get my bike out when I remembered that wintry showers were forecast so I doublechecked and yes - snow was definitely coming. The local hilltops are 150-300 metres above the town centre and the valley is fairly narrow so from down here I can't really see the weather systems blowing in. 10 minutes later there was a white-out which put me off venturing out so I did 45 minutes on the turbo trainer instead. By the time I had finished, the snow clouds had blown on down the valley and it was clear again!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pfft

You could ride over that mun :whistle:
He isn't @I like Skol you know... (I'm not sure that even Skol could ride up them but he is definitely crazy (and skilled) enough to ride down them! :laugh:)

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I needed a ride today and got one!

I took the new (to me) Fuji Tread 1.5 out for its inaugural ride (riding it 1.5 miles back from the LBS doesn’t count :okay:).

I did a little over 28 km and I have to say I’m loving the bike.

As it’s a cross bike, part of my route was down the canal towpath and I was impressed with how it handled. The carbon fork was far more effective at absorbing the vibrations than I anticipated.

On the road, the bike was amazing and I beat 6 PRs on Strava without trying. The gear change was so smoooooth...

It does need new tyres though as the grip on the current ones leaves something to be desired. @steven1988 will be pleased as he’s been trying to persuade me to buy some skin walls for it - apparently they’re very 2019 and would look great with the navy/grey frame and orange accent :wacko: Hopefully, I can get some new tyres next month.

It also may be my imagination, but I found the hills I rode up easier today too. The bike is 1kg lighter than my Reflex road bike, but it shouldn’t make that much difference surely. If I lose more weight from my waist I’ll be able to tell better. Not for lack of trying though.

All in all, a great ride out. Can’t wait for the next one!

steven1988

Veteran
I needed a ride today and got one!

I took the new (to me) Fuji Tread 1.5 out for its inaugural ride (riding it 1.5 miles back from the LBS doesn’t count :okay:).

I did a little over 28 km and I have to say I’m loving the bike.

As it’s a cross bike, part of my route was down the canal towpath and I was impressed with how it handled. The carbon fork was far more effective at absorbing the vibrations than I anticipated.

On the road, the bike was amazing and I beat 6 PRs on Strava without trying. The gear change was so smoooooth...

It does need new tyres though as the grip on the current ones leaves something to be desired. @steven1988 will be pleased as he’s been trying to persuade me to buy some skin walls for it - apparently they’re very 2019 and would look great with the navy/grey frame and orange accent :wacko: Hopefully, I can get some new tyres next month.

It also may be my imagination, but I found the hills I rode up easier today too. The bike is 1kg lighter than my Reflex road bike, but it shouldn’t make that much difference surely. If I lose more weight from my waist I’ll be able to tell better. Not for lack of trying though.

All in all, a great ride out. Can’t wait for the next one!

You know it

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My ride today ended prematurely and saw me spend nine hours in a&e.

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Anyway in a good deal of pain now so a couple of paracetamol and off to bed.

Really can't click on "Like" for this. :sad:
Hope you (and the bike of course) get better soon.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Back to work tomorrow, so today was catching up with all the things I should have been doing at home instead of riding bikes for the past 3 days. Decided to treat myself in the afternoon though, as the ride title reflects!
Screenshot_2019-01-22 Shopping followed by a boozy lunch Ride Strava.png

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Keeping to my promise.. Goal for the year.. Went MTB!! Even I called the ride Morning Duathlon.

Our playground..

50810103_1978734368888640_5895528524332138496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Me struggling to not fall down..

50951872_1978734255555318_6638215381552988160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

One of my friends.. Why was behind me...?

50401032_1978734285555315_1922484355905617920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

The stronger guy got bored.. Gave him the camera and told him to take pics.. :blush:

50503824_1978734262221984_3738024614551355392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Paco came back for a pic..

50527321_1978734362221974_4283443907334766592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

The 3 amigos !!

50580532_1978734438888633_2200522731714248704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Finally at the top..!

50512860_1978734348888642_4914314516524695552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

At the top there is a sanctuary of some sort inside a cave

50686017_1978734448888632_8466883392422543360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

After that was a hard ride downhill for me where I am terrified of falling down so I put my foot down a few times.. Overall a great ride..!

40 km and 1150 meters of climbing... Ufff I will sleep well tonight.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Keeping to my promise.. Goal for the year.. Went MTB!! Even I called the ride Morning Duathlon.

Our playground..

View attachment 448499

Me struggling to not fall down..

View attachment 448500

One of my friends.. Why was behind me...?

View attachment 448501

The stronger guy got bored.. Gave him the camera and told him to take pics.. :blush:

View attachment 448502

Paco came back for a pic..

View attachment 448503

The 3 amigos !!

View attachment 448504

Finally at the top..!

View attachment 448505

At the top there is a sanctuary of some sort inside a cave

View attachment 448506

After that was a hard ride downhill for me where I am terrified of falling down so I put my foot down a few times.. Overall a great ride..!

40 km and 1150 meters of climbing... Ufff I will sleep well tonight.
Lightweight :whistle:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My ride today ended prematurely and saw me spend nine hours in a&e.

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Anyway in a good deal of pain now so a couple of paracetamol and off to bed.

Ouch - GWS

Top Bottom