Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 was up for a ride over to The Drum and Monkey. Not far but lunch was the idea. Nice lunch it was too. She then had a brainwave to visit some friends. That meant a bit of a ride ahead. So Queenhill was done in the opposite direction to the rare event when it is done at all. From there we crossed Longdon Marsh, also in the opposite direction to normal. We dodged by Berrow for Camer's Green and then on to Clencher's Mill where a grey wagtail wagged his tail. Onward by Eastnor took us to Petty France and Colwall where we stopped. Our friends welcomed us in and served a lovely cup of tea. Eventually we dragged ourselves away to climb the Wyche Cutting with our lights on. Lovely outing with unexpected miles and friend visit. 33 smiles

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Too windy for the road..

Felix wanted to go for a ride so the 3 of us headed out after lunch

Our playground for today? An area between Barranco Blanco and El Nacimiento, here in Coin.

50325131_1044980972355776_8047287649066549248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

The stop for a pic.. The older kid is my 18 year old that came from Argentina to try his luck here in Europe.

50862007_1044980985689108_4508477443203399680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Is less rocks this way Felix..!

50324503_1981716401923770_541683942546210816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

If I pass you pass as well.. So just follow me.. If I fall down you go the other way..

50801770_1981716165257127_1722666414118010880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Having fun..!!

50556899_1981716161923794_4458453143063101440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

20 km and 250 m gain for Felix..!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My ride today ended prematurely and saw me spend nine hours in a&e.

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Anyway in a good deal of pain now so a couple of paracetamol and off to bed.

Horrible experience to see it coming & not be able to do owt about it. I hope you are feeling better now and that you will be OK back on the road in due course.

8mph

Veteran
Today I rode from Rishikesh to Haridwar, India which is 28km away. The road is pretty busy but it's unlike driving in the UK you need to keep your wits about you because it's a bit of a free for all. There's a lot of weaving and jossling but for the most part it's not too fast, all in all it's quite good fun. I put a road tyre on the back wheel and locked out the suspension forks on my mountain bike with two bits of alkathene pipe and the bike is surprisingly fast, the trip only took 1hr20.
After a quick mootch around the market I turned back and a few miles in it started to rain. I got a good soaking but the rain clears the pollution which is pretty usually pretty heavy with deisle fumes and smoke. Todays trip was a bit of a test ride to see how the bigger roads feel and it wasn't bad at all. I'll probably leave my current loction by bike after getting more of a feel for the traffic.
I'm not able to upload photo's from the internet cafe and WiFi is pretty weak to but if I get the chance later on I will.

It's been a while... 167 days to be precise :sad:

Well I know some don't count virtual rides as real rides but stick with me because this was an important one!

Today I rode my bike on the turbo trainer for a 15 minute session. It's been the first time I've been able to get on my bike since the end of July last year when I last rode in the real world (this was for Crohn's & Colitis UK at the Prudential RideLondon 100)

Shortly after, I became seriously ill and ended up unable to walk, After an extended stay in hospital including sepsis I was discharged and had a few weeks at home but then became acutely ill again and was readmitted via A&E and had major surgery. I now have a stoma and have spent the last few months recovering - something not easy when you have previously been active and generally well.

Today I achieved something that I have only dreamed of for the last few months - riding my bike again. Yes, I know it was only on a turbo trainer but I sat on my bike and turned the pedals and actually felt a step closer to normal again.

So here it is, all 15 minutes and 3.48 virtual miles. Here's to many more.

PS I wish I looked as good as my Strava Avatar!!

View attachment 446942

View attachment 446941

Small steps Buck but leading to giant ones I think. Sorry to read this and all the best for the future.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I took the road bike out today, still in search of the mojo. I planned on blagging some more ABC challenge signs, so my route to me to Frilford, Grove and Harwell, but not necessarily in that order! ^_^

A much warmer day today but still grey, but brighter if that makes sense, wet roads with washed away salt made everything look a bit dirty.

Not a lot in the way of photos today, nothing much of interest as worth taking.
53EF3333-54F8-4268-A417-008A3BECBB26.jpeg

Told you it was a grey day, this is on the edge of Grove very near the Williams F1 team campus.

82C27062-60EB-4AB1-9079-F43FC290473C.jpeg

Stopped off at Frilford for a cheeky hot chocoholate.

F4806672-3A42-4ED1-86D8-71527C6DFD57.jpeg

The map. 24.29 miles today , av speed 14.8mph.

Mike_P

Guru
Morning wasted trying to get the front derailleur working on the ebike hybrid in case in preparation for another chainring being fitted. Wooden block twix cage and seat tube. cable tensioned and tightened, block removed and cage goes hard up against the seat post:cursing:

Gave up eventually and decided on a:bicycle: - wind had got up noticeably so decided on ebike test ride 2 and a clockwise version of Sundays 12 mile test ride 1.

Set off, rattle, rattle - forgot the deluxe cardboard packing to the battery - quick return and packing fitted. After a while the rattling restarted and I assumed the packing had fallen out; then on the short climb at Ripley Castle the power died but did switch back on - turned out the cable ties holding the battery support to the top of the pannier rack had snapped and the battery was hence pivoting from side to side being held by the solitary bolt at the far end of the support. A gingerly ride back home and thicker cable ties fitted.

Noticed I had forgot to start Strava so decided to repeat the ride making sure I started Strava this time. The cable ties held but the replacement packing disappeared en route. The last mile was plagued by some crazy speed readings, unhelpfully killing the motor just when it would be useful. Hopefully was just a misalignment arising of the speed sensor to its magnet.

Looked at Strava and it said it was paused rather than started:sad: What exactly did the android update of it do today?
Had better days:excl:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I couldn't decide where to go today so started off on one of my regular routes before deciding to vary it halfway through by adding in a section I haven't ridden before and which upped the mileage a bit.

I headed out over Lyth Hill, dropped down to Hunger Hill then across to Exford's Green, Plealey, Minsterley, Westbury and Halfway House. Most of this was against the wind so it wasn't very quick but I got on okay and didn't have any incidents worth mentioning.

After Halfway House I headed for Wollaston and the quieter (and a bit hilly) route to Crew Green but while working my way up the climb decided to do something different so took a left at what would usually be the summit and carried on climbing to Bulthy and along the nice little valley sandwiched between the Middletown and Breidden hills. I reckon the place would look good in the spring and summer so will have to make a point of coming back.

The descent from the valley is quite steep down to the flood plain of the Severn where I headed for Criggion, passing the huge quarrying scar on the north-western side of the hill and the strange squat buildings that made up the former military radio station here (now long since closed - the huge aerials are gone and the buildings are being converted into homes).

Criggion is quite a tiny place so you soon pass through it, although the Admiral Rodney pub looks like it could be nice to try at some point. On the way through Crew Green the speed warning sign flashed up that I was doing 43 through the 30 limit. (Yeah, right. :laugh:) My speedo said a much more realistic 17 with a following wind.

That tailwind had strengthened a bit so I got on at a good pace through Melverley to Pentre and onwards to Shrawardine and Montford Bridge where things slowed a bit having to climb over the hump to Bicton. As I was getting on well I stuck to the road as far as Meole Brace rather than using the rather bumpy cycle path.

I'd started off the ride with the bike all nice and clean. Don't know why I bothered as I had wet/muddy roads the whole way round and it's now worse than before I cleaned it.:rolleyes:

42.1 miles at 12.9 mph average (thought I was going to do better than that with the wind-assisted end to the ride).

P1250300.JPG

Winding my way up the climb past Bulthy Farm.

P1250302.JPG

View back down the valley near Belle Eisle Farm.

P1250305.JPG

On the way down the other side but still quite high up.

P1250307.JPG

P1250309.JPG

A couple of views down to the Severn flood plain.

P1250311.JPG

The quarry on the Criggion side of the Breidden.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Morning wasted trying to get the front derailleur working on the ebike hybrid in case in preparation for another chainring being fitted. Wooden block twix cage and seat tube. cable tensioned and tightened, block removed and cage goes hard up against the seat post:cursing:

Gave up eventually and decided on a:bicycle: - wind had got up noticeably so decided on ebike test ride 2 and a clockwise version of Sundays 12 mile test ride 1.

Set off, rattle, rattle - forgot the deluxe cardboard packing to the battery - quick return and packing fitted. After a while the rattling restarted and I assumed the packing had fallen out; then on the short climb at Ripley Castle the power died but did switch back on - turned out the cable ties holding the battery support to the top of the pannier rack had snapped and the battery was hence pivoting from side to side being held by the solitary bolt at the far end of the support. A gingerly ride back home and thicker cable ties fitted.

Noticed I had forgot to start Strava so decided to repeat the ride making sure I started Strava this time. The cable ties held but the replacement packing disappeared en route. The last mile was plagued by some crazy speed readings, unhelpfully killing the motor just when it would be useful. Hopefully was just a misalignment arising of the speed sensor to its magnet.

Looked at Strava and it said it was paused rather than started:sad: What exactly did the android update of it do today?
Had better days:excl:
A like for telling us about it anyway.

Old jon

Guru
Well, warmer weather was promised. And it came to pass. Which would have seemed ungrateful not to have a ride. So I did. With some present trepidation about the construction of a sentence here, ‘ungrateful not to’ could be difficult . . . if you think about it.

With my usual total indecision about where to go Holbeck was the first stage on a journey to somewhere. Riding under the wings of Water Lane demonstrated a tail wind blowing approximately down the Aire valley. That is a good sign, keep on in that direction. All the long way through Hunslet and up the road to John O’ Gaunts. Oh ‘eck, random memory time. I once read a biography of Peter O’ Toole, who was apparently born around here. Here being called Hunslet at that time. He christened the local version of cricket as HunsBeck cricket. Big deal I guess, but I have just ridden through both halves of that name. Sorry, back to normal service.

So, turn left in Oulton and ride past the station. It is a pleasant descent usually but this time down there was a car in front sticking close to the 20 mph limit. How odd. Eventually turn left and cross canal and river before climbing up to and through Swillington. Easier with gears and I was riding that bike. That thought just about dictated a right turn at the roundabout to ride along the ( rather quiet ) A 63 and up Garforth Cliff. That was not easy, but the winding mostly down stretch of road after that was fun. Straight on at Peckfield Bar and then turn left for Micklefield at the next roundabout.

This road was once the A 1, and after the village it runs parallel with the present day version for a while. Traffic noise is just better than traffic presence, but distracting all the same. At the crossroads go straight on for Aberford and turn left onto Cattle Lane. All fairly familiar, up and down repeating as happens but today there was an added extra red kite. Or maybe two. Just past the farm, where the road begins to level there was a pair of birds showing off. The way they do, floating without effort on the breeze. One of them, definitely a red kite, came lower and lower towards the road. And landed! Just about then I thought to turn on the video camera. Oh dear, is almost what I said when I missed it. Off it took and away it flew.

After that, the ride down across Cock Beck and up to Barwick was, oddly, loads of fun. Scholes is next along, and the breeze was gusty and seemed to be always in my face. The way everyone experiences wind I guess. The York road, Thorner Lane and the next two lanes take me to the good old A 58 just in time for that speedy ride from the Ring Road down to Easterly Road. Which should be renamed North Easterly Road ‘cos that is the way it points. Right turn to pass the clock and down Roundhay Road for some caution at the traffic lights at the bottom, a learner driver practicing confusion and desperation, on a difficult junction. No harm done but lots of horns. Cross the river, a bit of navigation towards the street I live on, front door in view thirty miles after leaving it. The smile said it all.

The map.

25012019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The wind was strong but Pete M and I made into the shelter of the lanes. We climbed to Redmarley to take the Durbridge dodge for a change. Just the Pauntley climb before we could top out at Brand Green and drop to Highleadon and the Trioscape. Coffee and soup on this chilly day was just the job.

Pete didn't fancy the up to Woolridge so we took the lower run to Hartpury. I stopped briefly at the marshes to see what wildfowl there was. Obviously some but too far to view, just the call of Teal to be heard. The run up the Hams is always pleasant. Going by The Rampings Pete decided we should cross Longdon Marsh so we took the lanesy run back as usual from there. Pleasant outing indeed today. 49 smiles

Mine was a tad cold today:

Snow_2019_01_25.JPG

The Commuter is currently the main workhorse by virtue of being the bike with spiked tyres. Today it was a trip to the local government office as part of the rush to get our children naturalised before March the 29th...

Snow spikes work so well I can cycle over surfaces where pedestrians were skittering about all over the place: I gave them a lot of space to fall over.

I have since discovered one disadvantage: when swapping over to a Bakfiets with semi slick tyres you have to remember not to try turning on snow...

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
I am ready for bed...

I suffered a lot today.. Something was or is off with me. Went out and couldn’t get any power going up the hills. Guess picked the wrong day to go out with good guys in a long ride

50881540_1982879251807485_7426422814732713984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

When you have to go you have to go…

50717555_1982882711807139_4320739814195331072_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2102428872#kudos

Facebook:
View: https://www.facebook.com/PablosCyclingTours/posts/1982884225140321?comment_id=1982944775134266&notif_id=1548440074945725&notif_t=feed_comment

Lots of lovely pics! Oh if you do not use FB you can see them on Strava as well.

Top Bottom