Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am ready for bed...

I suffered a lot today.. Something was or is off with me. Went out and couldn’t get any power going up the hills. Guess picked the wrong day to go out with good guys in a long ride

View attachment 448968

When you have to go you have to go…

View attachment 448969

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2102428872#kudos

Facebook:
View: https://www.facebook.com/PablosCyclingTours/posts/1982884225140321?comment_id=1982944775134266&notif_id=1548440074945725&notif_t=feed_comment

Lots of lovely pics! Oh if you do not use FB you can see them on Strava as well.

Amazing what a difference a few hundred k's makes to the weather...

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
It was mild here too yesterday. For a change I decided to carry the camera with me (even though it was mostly overcast) and go out and have a stop/start couple of hours on the Shaper, and get some fresh air in my lungs.

I headed north into a stiff wind up to St Brieuc-de-Mauron where I stopped next to the church to talk to a friend who was running the Caravrac (a travelling wholefood shop). I carried on north through Brignac, then turned L at the chapelle in la Riaye. Headed west on the VP29, through Grand Guegnon, then a L and a R down to le Moulin Simon. Past there, and up and over the D13 to le Breil Oréal (two snappy dogs, thankfully chained up). Past there and L onto the D155 – through the wind farm. Followed the D155 to the D2, straight over and continued on to la Mulotière. Took the half L through Letuhon and joined the Bigot’s road. Back E (with the wind on my back) to the 4-way on the D154 and turned L up past le Ville Rouxel to Tréglion. Turned R on the link to the D13. Onto the D13 towards Guilliers then L to Bourg Neuf. Back home via Esquiniac, la Suais and le Costuais.

The Caravrac (and the Shaper):

Caravrac at SBdM pic 1 25012019.JPG

On the VP29 west of la Riaye:

Road W of la Riaye 25012019.JPG

South of Grand Guegnon, looking towards Ménéac and the wind turbines :

S of Grand Guegnon 25012019.JPG

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Tail end of a head cold so quite lacking in energy but at the same time, feel as good as I have in days so a good chance to use the crossfire ebike and enjoy a few miles but not overdo it.
20 countryside miles, windy but good temps, dropped the assist whenever appropriate so spent maybe 50 % of the ride under my own (steady) steam.
what I assume was the Fitzwilliam hunt passed by, maybe 50 horses, no hounds....
20190126_135252.jpg

Also, some time before, two deer, maybe 3ft high some distance away ...
20190126_131146.jpg

Excellent ride, the ebike was well appreciated today, not sure I had the legs for a 'normal' ride today.

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride target was to get @tallliman to Nice Pie due to health issues this would be his longest ride since Sept . Out the door at 8.30 for a few extra miles before the meeting point . Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Groby back to Anstey then roughly my commuting route to Quorn. Got to the meeting point to find @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds waiting . After a quick chat were on our way . Barrow ,Burton on the Wolds then a steady drag up to Nice Pie pushed by a nice tailwind so a headwind back :banghead:. A relaxed brunch stop before we face the headwind . Back on the bike heading back first a cross headwind which meant a proper headwind down Paudy lane . We soon got into formation me and @Supersuperleeds taking turns on the front sheltering @tallliman from the wind . In Barrow @Supersuperleeds turned left having enough miles in and a few villages bagged for the ABC thread I was a few miles short of target so I accompanied @tallliman to Quorn were we went to the heritage station to see a steam train pull out The place was very busy due to a steam event . Here we parted company @tallliman made it home in one piece with 50km done great effort :bravo:. I extended my route home just heading to Swithland by the reservoir when another Steam locomotive crossed the bridge as I approached nice sight . Home with 50 miles done . @Supersuperleeds bagged 70 miles . A nice relaxed ride in great company ,nice to have three of us back together

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I joined Margaret PR, Rich B and Steve E at Newland. After a bit of checking we agreed that The Mayfly would be OK. So it was a fairly standard route today by Alfrick, Martley, Ockeridge and Wichenford. Service at the Mayfly was pretty good this time (even Rich agreed). Our return route was just about the shortest. Broadheath, Bastonford and Woodsfield got us back. The grey was beginning to gather as rain was in the forecast but we'd had a nice outing together and beaten that wet stuff. 40 smiles in rather mild conditions.

Today's ride target was to get @tallliman to Nice Pie due to health issues this would be his longest ride since Sept . Out the door at 8.30 for a few extra miles before the meeting point . Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Groby back to Anstey then roughly my commuting route to Quorn. Got to the meeting point to find @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds waiting . After a quick chat were on our way . Barrow ,Burton on the Wolds then a steady drag up to Nice Pie pushed by a nice tailwind so a headwind back :banghead:. A relaxed brunch stop before we face the headwind . Back on the bike heading back first a cross headwind which meant a proper headwind down Paudy lane . We soon got into formation me and @Supersuperleeds taking turns on the front sheltering @tallliman from the wind . In Barrow @Supersuperleeds turned left having enough miles in and a few villages bagged for the ABC thread I was a few miles short of target so I accompanied @tallliman to Quorn were we went to the heritage station to see a steam train pull out The place was very busy due to a steam event . Here we parted company @tallliman made it home in one piece with 50km done great effort :bravo:. I extended my route home just heading to Swithland by the reservoir when another Steam locomotive crossed the bridge as I approached nice sight . Home with 50 miles done . @Supersuperleeds bagged 70 miles . A nice relaxed ride in great company ,nice to have three of us back together

Thank you both for the draft. The one turn I did in the wind showed how much benefit one gets. Was shattered by the time I got home.....not sure I'd have made it much further.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Windy cc ride, so glad we made the effort.
Heavy going in places after the rain.
Horses have churned up the ground a lot too..about 20 miles with SinL.

For some reason my Strava keeps failing?
Says acquired GPS bla bla start ...then switches off records nothing?
SinL Strava works fine ..

Screenshot_20190126-163707.png

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Had the best of intentions this morning, and half a plan sketched out in my head for a cheeky metric half that would bag another 3 letters for the ABC challenge, but it just didn't happen.

After some Olympic standard faffing it was out of the door on the Giant and up towards Coal Road. They say the first mile is the hardest and it certainly felt that way today. Anyway, the bike knows the way so all I have to do is provide the forward motion.

It was dry and thankfully a bit milder than of late, but forecast to be a bit blowy. Coal Road became Skeltons Lane then the long descent into Thorner and along Main Street before climbing out of the village up Milner Lane. Blimey I was huffing and puffing at the top of that climb!
Along between the hedges and thinking to myself that it didn't seem that windy - and we all know what that means don't we..?
Round into the top of East Rigton on Holme Farm Lane and round to Rigton Green, then Bramham Lane into semi-rural solitude on filthy roads.
Here the wind made itself felt - from being at my back it was now an interesting crosswind at every gate / gap in the hedges and while I've been out in worse I was glad this lane is usually traffic free.
Across Jewitt Lane and the climb back up onto the other end of Holme Farm Lane and now straight into the wind - but at least this bit is fairly flat. This made my mind up that the metric half was off - it had been harder work than it should have been up to this point and forcing the issue wasn't going to help.

So, left at the junction with Milner Lane and back the way I'd come into Thorner, then out on Carr Lane and the ups and down (mainly ups) to the A58.
Along there and the climb back up Coal Road, across the roundabout and then local roads down to home, still battling that wind, before a long loop to push the mileage on.

15.05 miles (24.22 km) in 1h 13m at an average of 12.3 mph with 777ft climbed and an average temperature of 6.6°C

Glad I got out and a short ride is better than no ride, but I just wasn't feeling it today. Goodness knows why, but my get up and go seems to have got up and gone lately.
Very little chance of getting out tomorrow with 40+mph winds forecast, so any riding will be on the turbo.

Sorry, no pics as I didn't stop anywhere, but here's the map:

26012019.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Went round the ebike hybrid and tightened everything that seemed loose as there were some seriously creaking noises yesterday and added cable ties to the pannier rack in place of the cardboard packing to the battery (still not entirely successful it turned out). Test ride 4 - around the same circuit done twice yesterday and videoed today so some photos - Hampsthwaite (I do not remember the pot hole so must have missed it, but obviously one to look out for)
Hampsthwaite2..jpg

Strava worked today and briefly setting the data to cycle from ebike confirmed the ebike was clearly faster than pedal power up Clint Bank. Annoyingly the speed issue reoccurred - not much fun going uphill and the motor switching off as the display thinks the ebike is doing 62.4mph - have raised it with the supplier. Hollybank Lane always looks remarkably different heading downhill.
Hollybank Lane3.jpg

The disadvantage of this direction is the standing start to the climb at the start of the offroad section of NCN67 due to a gate - even more clearer today with the lack of leaves
NCN67 E of HBnk2.jpg

and which also allowed for a clearer than normal view of All Saints Church across the road from Ripley Castle; the church unfortunately having recently been the subject of lead theft and various further damage as a result - the cost of repairs said to be several thousands of pounds more than the value of the lead.
Ripley5.jpg

Also more noticeable currently is the River Nidd close by NCN67 where it follows the route of the former railway to Pateley Bridge
NCN67 adj Nidd.jpg

11.63 miles 803 feet climbed slightly more than intended.
26-1-19 route.jpg
26-1-19 map.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A nice ride with battery boy and my other half, 40 mile loop of Essex to Hertford, a little bit of drizzle but nothing to slow us down, Paul dragged me up a few hills with his ebike, but he sat on my wheel for the fast bits, The other half rode really well. but i wish she could get her head around what a training ride is. We are going to Calpe in two weeks time, so i am trying to push a bit harder, but we had to keep waiting for her,:laugh::laugh::laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2104410363

Top Bottom