Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Rejoined the route on the B6162 Otley Road, initially another false flat that steepens noticeably through the 2km mark
HC12.jpg

Otley Road then undulates
HC13.jpg

and once away from the built up area and trees the crosswind was severe. Just before Beckwithshaw, where there is a right turn onto the B6161, is the 4km mark
HC14.jpg

and then the descent of Pot Bank with a sharp left curve
HC15.jpg

followed by a sharp right then left onto a narrow bridge, right off it and steeply upgrade - think thats whats described as technical in race terms
HC16.jpg
HC17.jpg

Assuming that bit is not misjduged there is then a slight undulation before a further climb through the 6km mark
HC18.jpg

and then a right turn onto back into Penny Pot Lane.
HC19.jpg

10.21 miles 897ft climbed by the ebike with varying degrees of pedal assistance, since when the front derauilleur has been made operative and the rattling battery hopefully resolved by the use of a couple of Polaris Fixies.
27 Jan 2019 route.jpg
27 Jan 2019 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I've been back down in Dumfries this week. Started out at first light today into a bitterly cold 22mph (gusting 38mph) north westerly head wind - may as well still be in Stornoway. Struggle out through lanes to Penpont then a lovely wind assisted ride via A702/B729 back to Dumfries. 58km total :smile:

Surprised to see the Kirkpatrick Mcmillan smithy as I approached Penpont - always thought it was in the vicinity of Kirkudbright/Castle Douglas - nice to learn something new :smile:

'View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2106236192/embed/960a101792523dfa15169cad3015f9e08af5ae79

img.jpg

39931871593_3946d4d032.jpg

45982045915_c524f41548.jpg

39931872543_f82249b775.jpg

46896810721_dfea6d1860.jpg

33021402578_b1048093b0.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice windy ride with battery boy, just the two of us went out today, a blustery ride headed straight out into the wind, Battery boy on the front for the first 3 miles made life easier, Halfway round the wind was coming from the side, a couple of hairy moments but then we had a tail wind a lot of the way home, Managed a couple of Strava PRs^_^, Nice ride ended in our local for a couple of beers, we where joined by my other half and a couple of friends, a great weekend of riding,
https://www.strava.com/activities/2106561238

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Another chance to hit the forest trails today on my "new" gravel bike. I didn't have a huge amount of time so just 25km of mixed terrain riding, lanes, gravel roads, fields and quite country roads. Taking about 90 minutes in total and no real elevation to talk of. Great fun though, I'm really taking to this exploring lark and finding lots of new places.

Forest.jpg

Track.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Jack & Grace Cotton Audax was a trifle damp and had some tasty climbs on the way back but very enjoyable nonetheless. Good to see @Heltor Chasca albeit briefly. Two of the riders with me were on their first audax & have got the bug !

I flung this together - didn't film enough of the interesting parts of the ride, the start, the Anchor at Epney so this is more for my own memory but it may provoke a wry grin.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A little 6 miles 'detour' to the pub this afternoon on Patsy #3 The Hybrid. Gaps in the hedgerows in the countryside made for some serious gusty sidewinds in places but, boy, once it become a tailwind I darn near flew to The Cat. (Progress is containing apace on my winter re-build - Patsy #6 The Phoenix - and I am looking forward to posting some pics of its inaugural ride. Mind you, given as how so much of it is white, I'll need to avoid the snow so that it stands out. :whistle:)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nothing exciting for me, just commutes. Last nights commute home on the Boardman CX bought it up to 1000hrs of being ridden, far more than any of my other bikes. Here's looking forward to the next thousand:smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out in the cold this morning to get some miles in. I used a variation of my Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor route where I took a couple of shortcuts early on.

It was bright and clear but frosty. I knew the gritters had been out (having been woken up early by one) and the ungritted roads seemed to have dried in the wind yesterday so I wasn't too worried about ice. I managed to catch a gap in the traffic on the A49 so didn't have to wait. There was a bit of ice where remaining puddles had been splashed across the road but they were alright with a bit of care.

I took a detour through Attingham Park which was very busy for a Monday morning in the winter. After Upton Magna I started catching another cyclist and passed her with a greeting when she stopped to check her phone. There was more ice between Withington and Walcot so I took it easy and wondered whether I should have put the ice tyres on. A couple of roads on the way to Eaton Constantine that I thought would have been gritted hadn't been and were also sheltered from the sun on my side which made things interesting for a bit but I stayed upright still.

At Cressage I was overtaken by another rider up the Shore Lane climb and he fairly quickly disappeared into the distance - by the time I got to the long straight leading to Cound Moor I could just about see him at the far end.

After Acton Burnell I encountered a friendly lorry driver. I let him pass me on the tricky twisty bit after the village, getting a wave of thanks, then not long afterwards I found him stuck as it was too narrow to pass a farm vehicle sticking out of a gateway so he waved me through while he waited for said farmer to finish loading his sheep. A couple of miles further on the lorry finally caught me up again so I pulled in for him to pass easily and got a flash of the lights and a thumbs up. It would be nice if it was always that relaxed between road users.^_^

The rest of the trip back was against the wind so I opted to head over Lyth Hill rather than plod up the exposed main road.

35 miles at 13.5 mph average. A decent number of cyclists out this morning (in addition to the ones mentioned). Perhaps trying to get rides in before the weather gets even colder?

Only the one snapshot today as I kept the stops to a minimum:
P1280312.JPG

Some nice winter sunshine at Attingham Hall.

pjd57

Veteran
strava664467088817025487.jpg

lovely morning in Glasgow again, so I opted for the Free Wheel north run from Maryhill to Bowling, all on the canal.
That's the straight bit on my map
IMG_20190128_113441825_HDR.jpg

Stopped at the big bike in Clydebank.
IMG_20190128_120542978_HDR.jpg

looking down the Clyde from Bowling.
IMG_20190128_120558082_HDR.jpg

looking back upriver to the Erskine Bridge.
IMG_20190128_122554203.jpg

a few canal boats at Bowling

After the FWN run I had a short trip along the canal the other way , past Firhill then onto Springburn and home.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My ride ... yesterday, because I forgot to post as usual!
I had a yellow alert from ice on the Met Office app, it came to nothing.
Still, the day was :cold:
There was a BC group going to the shores of Loch Lomond, but the average speed stated was too fast for some of the Belles on Bikes, so we went on a shorter run to Dumbarton, that is about 5 miles further along on the canal than @pjd57's pictures above.
Another view of Bowling for you:
IMG_20190127_120806773.jpg

An uneventful 40 miles for me, in good company, on the ice bike which certainly makes for a good workout! :heat:
Back home before it started to ice up again, snow forecast for tomorrow.
Frozen selfie ....
IMG_20190127_153232579.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
At the beginning of the year, I decided I might try to get in a 50 mile ride each month to add to the 50 kms rides I have been doing for the ride challenge. Now, while I did a couple of 100 milers a few years back with a lot of preparation and have done several long rides over a day and numerous pub stop with a cycling/drinking buddy), I haven't done this distance for some time. (A 40 miler a couple of weeks back.)

Unfortunately, I hideously underestimated the amount of food I'd need (an emergency pit stop for sandwiches and a pack of Mars bars helped, somewhat) and the latter part of the ride was not at all enjoyable due to fatigue and a close shave with bonking - though the last couple of miles was a joyful dash for the line. I'l have to think about whether to build up my stamina/technique so that this sort of distance becomes enjoyable, but at this moment (just gone 8.30) I am still feeling the effects.

On balance though, the sense of achievement does seem to out-way the weariness. :smile:

My only pic, somewhere near Naughton (and near a pub I have promised myself to visit when open.:whistle:)

photo.JPG

gavgav

Guru
After yesterday’s planned ride was cancelled due to 50mph winds, I was in need of one after work, today.

Just a short route around Shrewsbury, nothing really to report, other than almost running over a Vole, near the English Bridge! Luckily it shifted out of my path at the very last minute.

Chilly but nice to have virtually no wind.

13.0 miles

Last edited:
Top Bottom