Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

How do you find the gpx file on Android, it won't let me log back into the old version of Strava. I will have a fair bit of time to do this, see my next post.

Yep, I couldn't log in either, just connect the phone to PC usb and set phone to hard drive, find the the phone on PC and open the strava file, should be a list of GPX files, log in to your Strava account on strava website and upload the file, takes 30 seconds to do once you know how to do it.

if you want to keep using the old phone just find any tracker that still works on it and follow the above to upload to strava.

My ride today ended prematurely and saw me spend nine hours in a&e.

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Anyway in a good deal of pain now so a couple of paracetamol and off to bed.

Ouch! :eek:

I can't "like" your post, but really do hope you mend quickly xxx :hugs:

U

User6179

I was crossing a roundabout and a bloke joining in a car decided he would just barrel across the roundabout with no regard for anyone already on it. I could see it happening but was powerless to get out of the way. Straight into my back wheel from the side at I would estimate a good 30mph.

I am sent sprawling across the tarmac suffering cuts and pain to my knee, hip and elbow. I could feel my head, inside my helmet, bouncing over the road surface. I am so glad I wear one as otherwise that would have been my head.

Ambulance takes me away, police kindly organise a van and take my bike home, a quick glance tonight shows the back wheel now a funny shape, not had the heart nor nor the inclination to check out the bike properly.

Will need to check house insurance tomorrow for legal expenses as the driver admitted to both myself and the police who turned up he didn't see me because of the sun, to which my argument would be if you can't see slow down or stop at the roundabout and make sure it is safe to go.

Thats crap, so avoidable as well, if they cant see why plough on, anyway hopefully you will not be too sore in morning.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Ouch. GWS. Hope the driver stopped? Maybe not at the front of your mind, but don't forget to record/photo all your injuries and keep records of the bike damage etc. There's a decent thread on here somewhere....

Ouch. GWS. Hope the driver stopped? Maybe not at the front of your mind, but don't forget to record/photo all your injuries and keep records of the bike damage etc. There's a decent thread on here somewhere....

Thank you to all for your kind words. Have woke up very early in a world of pain today.

In my confusion on last night's post I forgot to pay special mention to the two red cross ladies who were passing and also a St John's ambulance who were passing who looked after me until the emergency ambulance arrived, well two actually and a doctor who was passing. At one point I think I had nine health care people with me.

The driver was remorseful and was apologising and I think, again confused, had admitted to police he didn't see me. I will need to check with police today if they have taken any action, do they routinely btreathaylise, I am not sure.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Get well soon.

@Littgull and I encountered something similar last year on a bridge over a local railway line. Very handy, especially because of how steep the steps are!

View attachment 448305
Last week I did a 17 mile loop from Littleborough to Slattocks and back via Newhey and Dunwood Park. I could certainly have done with the 'bike assist runner' that @ColinJ and I used near Todmorden. It was quite a heave as I lifted my bike up and down the Bridge steps over the tram line at Dunwood Park.
Dunwood Park Bridge over tram line.jpg

pjd57

Veteran

It won't help the pain but get a legal claim started straight away.
Bike , clothes , loss of earnings it all adds up.

Hope you're ok , and best wishes for the bike.

As for the police taking action, when I was knocked off last year, driver admitted it was totally their fault.
Police decided it was " driver error " but took no further action.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
IMG_20190122_120404786.jpg
strava1949969308950279992.jpg

a very slow ride that started off with a walk out my street . Small amount of snow with ice under it.
I usually only need to walk a few minutes to the nearest bus route that has been gritted , but this morning they were covered in very icy slush. So it was a walk to Maryhill road then on to a wet slushy bus lane.
Choose the busiest roads I know into the city and across to Pollokshieds via the South City cycle path which wasn't great .
A light covering of snow on most of it so I opted for the road in places.
Then on to the east end of the city again via bus routes rather than cycle paths.
Thankfully the snow had stopped and had barely reached a lot of the city.
Back home via Cowcaddens and Maryhill rd.
Just had to walk the last short bit into my street.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A ride of two halves today. For most of my ride out to Frampton on Severn it was raining ... a cold, chill-you-to-the-core type of rain, with muddy, slippery roads making it doubly miserable. Frankly, I wondered what the hell I was doing it for. Then I met a familiar face coming the other way, and it stopped raining momentarily while I was chatting with a fellow cyclist. After a bit more light rain I got to Frampton:
11.JPG

It started to brighten up after that, and so did my mood. Don't think I've ever taken a picture of the tythe barn in Frampton before, so I put that right. That's my trusty old number 2 bike in the foreground. It had been rather overlooked lately:
12.JPG

I called in on the canal basin at Saul Junction on the way back, and got this shot of the actual canal junction (The Gloucester & Sharpness Canal and the Stroudwater Canal):
13.JPG

It ended up being a really nice little 22.3 mile ride in the end. Nice to give the old bike a run out too. (Remember a bike is for life, not just 'til you get an n+1 for Christmas).
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom