Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday - Finally clocked 10,000Km on my Titanium bike I built up a few years back (gone through 1 set of wheels, 3 chains, 2 cassettes and a few tyres/inner tubes but still on original bottom bracket!). Hard going at first - all the pollen made breating difficult and a nice headwind still - 105Km 11/5 105Km Blaby - Wiloughby Waterleys - - Gilmorton - Walcote - Swinford - Stanford on Avon - Cold Ashby - Naseby - Cottesbrooke - Creatonn - Brixworth - Haselbech - Clipston - Marston Trussel - Theddingworth - Mowsley - Gumley - Saddington - Peatling Magna - Blaby
mmmmm I think this 100Km/ month challenge I entered is having the effect that I now no longer do 70-80Km rides! Good fun, nice weather. Photo just south of Laughton!

IMG_20150511_172145.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
No big deal, just getting some miles under my belt..13 miles last night after work, home tonight...hmmm, nothing to do so another 10 miles.
Impressed with one guy on Oundle Rd on a fixed or s/s..overtook me with considerable ease. 3 years ago at my peak, I suspect I might have kept up, but not now...he must have been doing 18 mph into a moderate headwind.
No adverse effects, didnt push too hard, didnt slouch either. Enjoying it at the moment.

13 rider

Guru
A quick 6.9 spin at flat out pace for me . Anstey ,Thurcaston Cropston and back . last did this ride 4 months ago . Took 5 minutes of last time and managed to average a shade over 16 mph which on my hybrid is quick.Seven months of riding and the fitness feels pretty good at the moment. The quick guys at work on there roadies will be upset when they look at strava and realise Im quicker than them on the uphill bits but slower downhill I can see a few riders out to beat my times soon.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Another 24 miles with the other half, What with everything that's been going on lately the other half has not been on her bike much, so i thought i would go with her for a little leg stretcher. Towed her down a Strava segment and she got a QOM, she was over the moon:okay:. Ended up in the Salisbury pub nice cold pint then off home for a shower and a nice meal, sorted:cheers:

gavgav

Guru
I did 25 miles yesterday. My first ride since being hit by a car a month ago. I was a bit nervy,especially when i had a car turning right,across my path situation which is how i was knocked off in the first place but i came back unscathed. I went a fair bit slower than normal and avoided the tea-time rush hour and the main roads but i'm happy i've got back in the saddle!
Well done for getting back out so quickly

Saluki

World class procrastinator
16%20Mile%20Hospital%20Loop.jpg

Although this might look just like the ride I did the day before yesterday in just under an hour, it's a bit different.
I meant to do the same ride, I really really did but I got to the crossroads and looked at the garmin for the time and thought 'I've got some in hand' so turned right and headed off to East Carleton, round Colin Chapman's old place and to the hospital via Intwood. It adds 2.5 miles to the route. I glanced at the garmin just before the hour went by and saw that I was well up on the other day, so I got my head down and got on with it.
Luckily it was red lights for the traffic, and green for me on the crossings. There was traffic on the roundabout but I didn't have to stop as there was a nice big, fat gap for me to whizz to the left, although I didn't pile round it at 20 something mph today. More like 12mph.

16.6 miles in 1:04:39 so averaging 15.4mph. I am a bit pleased with that. :dance: Not bad for a fat old bird that can't climb for toffee. There was only 354' of climing but the ups were very up. Short and sweet. I even managed to overtake someone on Stocks Hill. Younger and thinner than me. He muttered something about messing up his gears as I passed him :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My ride today cheered me up. Given the choice of festering at home or joining the West Thames Wheelers 2 for a pedal, I chose the later. Pleased I did too, as they are a social bunch and we tend to stay away from roads, preferring towpaths etc. A steady amble through Laleham, Chertsey and on to Walton bridge. Plan was to stop here for tea, but since the new loo's aren't opening until 25th May we kept going, stopping at Thames Court instead.
13 May 2015 WTW At Thames Court.jpg

A fine choice of machinery. Not sure about the shorts though Dad:smile: Discussing the finer points of the Evans Despatcher...
Back to Chertsey Bridge and home.
20 very sociable miles in a very leisurely 3 hours, just what I needed.

sgl5gjr

Some of you will know I have suffered Sciatica for 5 weeks now..... damn thing... and the Physio says No Cycling...yeah right...lol
I managed to Turbo train as I described in previous posts..... and did a 3.4 mile then a 7 mile.... well
After 2 customer bike services this morning..... and after a tip to use a Tennis Ball on my sciatica.... I decided to take the 12.1 mile that Mrs Sgl likes to ride....the caveat being that if the sciatica decided to flare up a bit...I could cut the ride short by taking another lane and across the path on a meadow .... but I'm happy to report I did the whole 12.1 miles without the usual 5 minutes stop..... and the only stop I did was crossing St Ives river bridge to let a car by, otherwise it was straight through..... Me... Im bloomin happy and now after a cuppa tea.... another Bike to service..... ^_^
so today's numbers are 12.1 miles..... 57.26 minutes at an average of 12.1 mph

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Time to head in a direction east I haven't explored.....

This I've called the '1 Ferry'

I remembered about @Brandane and his escapade at the ferry terminal :rofl:
I'd crossed this part of the river many moons ago on a big red clanking chain ferry....
I dropped down to sea level before heading east to Langbank before the steady climb up the Hatton Brae and onward to the Erskine Bridge.
Up and over I dropped down the glen to Old KIlpatrick and joined the cycle path which would take me through Clydebank (passing the floating chippy) before it was time to hit the busy roads to Yoker.
floating chippy.jpg

Unlike our man Brandane I had the correct money and a flash of my bus pass and I got a concession, delighted.
Yoker ferry.jpg

A short crossing then sod it, some geocaching to do.
I joined the Clyde walkway which runs the length of Braehead shopping centre.
I bagged six geocaches en route before coming to the end of this bit of walkway.
The return journey was to bypass Renfrew town centre and I took another older walkway which runs parallel to the river.
I stopped to watch planes coming into land at Glasgow Airport before making my way on to familiar territory via Inchinnan Industrial Estate, I joined the Georgetown Straits before heading down the Moss Rd to Linwood where I joined Route 75 and headed the last ten mile to home.
40 mile covered on a good cycling day weatherwise.:okay:

gavgav

Guru
My ride today cheered me up. Given the choice of festering at home or joining the West Thames Wheelers 2 for a pedal, I chose the later. Pleased I did too, as they are a social bunch and we tend to stay away from roads, preferring towpaths etc. A steady amble through Laleham, Chertsey and on to Walton bridge. Plan was to stop here for tea, but since the new loo's aren't opening until 25th May we kept going, stopping at Thames Court instead.
View attachment 88760
A fine choice of machinery. Not sure about the shorts though Dad:smile: Discussing the finer points of the Evans Despatcher...
Back to Chertsey Bridge and home.
20 very sociable miles in a very leisurely 3 hours, just what I needed.
Good to see you getting out on the bike

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Beautiful weather today in North Devon.......so time to venture up onto Exmoor.
My cycling buddy met me at the end of my road and we had a steady ride into Barnstaple, stopping off at Carb Cycles for coffee and cake before tackling the first climb of the day - the ride from sea level to 1087 feet at Four Way Cross, Bratton Fleming. This is a gruelling 5 mile climb which ramps up over the last mile. 'Twas a relief to get that one behind us. From here we turned left onto the main road for the run down to the Old Railway Station at Blackmoor Gate for a spot of lunch.
Well refreshed, we left the pub and took the downhill blast on the A39 through Arlington and on to the dreaded 'Zig Zags' - a mini Alpine style section of about a mile that goes up at about 16%.:heat:
A couple of miles further on, through Shirwell and finally on to the long downhill section to Barnstaple for a coffee at the bike shop, before having a steady ride back along the Tarka Trail and back home.
39 miles, 2550 feet of climbing - three cat 3 and four cat 4 hills - average speed 13.6 mph, max speed 40.1 mph and two new PRs.
All in all, a brilliant days ride.:okay:^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom