Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Now that my new job is settling down a bit and I am finally in the building I am to be based from, I decided to cycle from Fenchurch Street to Berkeley Square. Used the Boris Bikes today but now that I have trailled it will do it tomorrow on my Tern Joe D21. Nice route especially alongside the Palace (and Her Majesty was at home) except for the myriad of people appearing to be leaving a Garden Party and heading back to their cars. Most seemed either inebriated or just not looking where they were going - quite frustrating.
Some of the traffic was tedious in a somewhat dangerous way (yes I am talking about you Mr Tourist Bus Driver), but good to do and looking forward to tomorrow to do it again.
Well I did take the Tern in to work, and it is so much easier to ride than those Boris Bikes (apart from an annoying creak from my Brooks saddle). Frustrating that despite having wide boulevards through Green Park that you aren't allowed to cycle through it (big draconian signs warning of £60 fines). On a bike you have to cycle around the outside of it. I don't understand their logic - it is plenty big enough to have half the boulevard as a footpath and the other half as a cycle path.
Two good rides apart from the L plate scooter riders who were buzzing in and out of the cycle lane on the Embankment - no care for the cyclists in the lane and if I could've caught them I might well have told them what I thought - if I had enough breath left!

MikeW-71

Veteran
Just a commute today, since it was such a nice day and an early finish. 5 miles in, 16 miles back. It was a bit windier than forecast though, but only two things spoiled it. Traffic lights at Warwick bridge as repairs are made to a wall near the bridge. Traffic backed up for ages and no comfortable room to filter, but hey-ho. The other was an idiot that overtook me in a dodgy place and forced an oncoming car into an emergency stop.

Will be out again tommorrow on my day off :biggrin:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
After a couple of weeks out due to recurring quad pains, managed a 19 mile commute yesterday at long last, so decided to celebrate today with a quick circuit around the fen in the sunshine hereabouts after work.

image.jpg

One of my favourite tracks (above) near Longmeadow. If I can get away from roads/traffic/ people - its always a bonus, miserable git that I am.

image.jpg

Reach Lode from the bridge.

image.jpg

Looking back at the bridge from the river or lode as its known hereabouts. Could hear a couple of cuckoos at this spot.

image.jpg

My usual route onto Tubney Fen was closed temporarily (while cattle are moved about), with a diversion down a new (to me) route. It was lovely too, can't believe I'd never been this way before.

Headed back through Reach village hoping to hear/ see the first turtle doves of the summer. They sometimes come back here. None returned last year but I'm hoping that was just a blip. Though when countries like Malta are still blasting turtle doves, a species on its knees to say the least, out of the sky, it seems probable I may never see them again here.

(I was in Malta late last year and its amazing how many hunter's shelters just, erm, 'fell over' while I was there.)

Just 13 miles today, but great to be back on the bike again.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
13 miles my ride today, in brilliant sunshine and an easterly (uh-oh) cross wind. Rode toward the lake and returned from a crossroads in the middle of some fields. Not much to photograph. The Schwinn Impact did a fine and commendable job of carrying me in touring style (26" that is) at a nice 10 mile an hour pace. Not a bad effort after mowing the lawn(1/3acre) and bird doggin' a lot of insurance paperwork after a fellow backed into my car at the grocery store last night. I think riding a bicycle is the best way to forget your troubles, and lose your winter gains.

Just a commute today, since it was such a nice day and an early finish. 5 miles in, 16 miles back. It was a bit windier than forecast though, but only two things spoiled it. Traffic lights at Warwick bridge as repairs are made to a wall near the bridge. Traffic backed up for ages and no comfortable room to filter, but hey-ho. The other was an idiot that overtook me in a dodgy place and forced an oncoming car into an emergency stop.

Will be out again tommorrow on my day off :biggrin:
Lights will be there for weeks and the bottom Wetheral road by the river is closed to traffic but you may be able to cycle on it. Massive heap of chippings in the lay-by near Wetheral. I also believe that they are fetching heavy machinery down through Aglionby for a pipe line across / under the Eden, so there could be problems on the loop road. By-passing Warwick Bridge via the Wetheral viaduct could also cause problems on the Plains road. On Grass cutting duty's again today otherwise I would have been heading towards Alston.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yeah, it's been causing chaos there for my parents and that doesn't make getting to them by bike any easier.

Anyway, just been out for a quick 18 miles in the sun to Armathwaite and back through Cotehill. I don't think I'm ever going to find Station Hill easy :laugh:

Pretty stiff wind today!
http://app.strava.com/activities/304404745/overview

Top Bottom