Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Took the cross bike out and had a nice ride on quiet farm tracks, back lanes and bridle ways north of Reading. Half way round I thought why do I need two front sprockets and all the rubbish that goes with it, front mech etc. So when I got home I took the 46 outer ring off, front mech, gear cable and trimmings and threw the whole lot in the bin which for some weird reason made me very happy Now just have the single 36 up front and less bits to break or service. I was lucky in the fact that I already had some shorter crank bolts kicking around.

Dark46

Veteran
Because of the British Heart foundation ride in the Cotswolds the KCC turnout wad only 5 on the 09:00 ride. There was a 08:00 ride but that was for the quick guys. Today was the first ride after our club shirts and arrived from Champion Systems.

When I got to the start point @gordyfinbar was sat on the bench waiting, with his 1980's style arm warmers. Just as thought we were going to be the only two Berney, George and @maltloaf turned up.

We decided to go south but avoid Naas Lane as we seem to go there every week. So it was decided to go out of the estate via Davy Way then towards Haresfield.

To be honest I wasn't looking forward to this ride as we were going up Frocester Hill and i don't get on with it. I haven't been up it on the Orro, but there has to be a first time for everything.

The way to Stonehouse went quite quickly ad I was thinking ahead to Frocester and I didn't want to push myself to hard as I wanted to get up the hill, I've only ever been up there on the Boardman and never got up in One.

As we got into Stonehouse we turned right in the High street and headed towards the main road for the M5. At the lights we went straight across towards the Stanleys. I started to hang back and catch as much draft as possible. Apart from the hill on the outskirts I just dropped back.

As we approached Frocester I picked a gear and a pace and stuck to it, a couple of times I was thinking I don't know if this is a good idea. But I just kept going, and as long I could see Berney in front I had something to aim for. Well I made it and was rather chuffed that I didn't feel too bad when I got to the top.

From Frocester it was right and downhill into Uley to then through to Dursley. I then got left in the traffic through Dursley so had to put a bit of effort to catch up with the group. Then from Cam it was towards Frampton and a well earned coffee stop. Or so I thought!

It was as we entered Frampton that @gordyfinbar uttered those words that kept ringing in my ears " straight through Frampton!" Thank god he's on his hols for the next couple of weeks! Only joking mate.

So it was the long way round to the Longley Loo. I stayed back with Berney for 2 reasons a: not as quick as the guys in front b: making sure she was ok, as her legs where not the best at the end of the ride.

From the loop it was to the Pilot where @gordyfinbar, @maltloaf and George were waiting. The journey from there it was straight on to the estate.

It was during the way home we saw Chris going the otherway, he had been on the 08:00 ride.

When I got to the turning for the house I noticed the ride was 37.8 miles so decided to make it over 40.

BrynCP

Über Member
Always wondered about a ride around the Humber, rather than just over it. Planned a route yesterday and decided today was to be it, my longest ride yet, by 6 miles.

Travelled west from Hull to Goole, via the 'B' road linking Newport, Howden, Gilberdyke etc. Not the nicest road in places, but not too bad. No scenery either. This was into a wind. Got a puncture just before the bridge over "Dutch River" as some morons had smashed up a load of Budweiser bottles at the side of the road.

Then south from Goole to Keadby. The scenery reminds me of the similar section in the NE bank of the river, around Sunk Island - miles and miles of the same - nothing! As the wind was SW, it was affecting this leg of the journey too, and because the land is flat and nothing there, nothing breaks it.

From Keadby to Barton was fairly easy, some of the 'A' roads a bit busy, but not too bad. Garmin tried to send me down a one way road, a feature I forgot it had, and it wasn't obvious where to go.

And Barton back to Hull over the Humber bridge.

74 miles in total, 4hr 40mins moving time, average 15.8mph.

upload_2015-5-17_16-27-52.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
In the blink of an eye it's that time of year again. Time for the British heart Foundation Cotswolds Bike Ride. This year, instead of the traditional hilly 40 mile route, they came up with a 30 and a 50. As always my old school mate Andy came down from Brum for the day, having only done a handful of 20 milers on his creaky hybrid by way of preparation. This was always going to be a relaxed ride for me, but with enough tasty hills to add a touch of challenge here and there, and some very nice pubs to stop off in en route. Started with a marshalled ride through Cheltenham before the long (but gentle) drag up past the Dowdeswell reservoir and up into the Cotswolds.
2015 misc 003.jpg
Quite soon after that came the climb that I regard as the challenge for the day. I do this ride every year, but don't always get up this in one usually because you get your route blocked by people walking their bikes up the hill. The hill starts at Charlton Abbots and rises brutally up to Roel Gate, but I have never found out its name. Andy and I know it only as the "Col du B*st*rd". We both got up it in one today. This, together with a touch of schadenfreude, seeing fit young lads in Team Sky (etc) full lycra kit dismounting their carbon racers and pushing up the hill, cheered us enormously.
(A distant view of the "Col du B*st*rd"):
2015 misc 005.jpg

Spotted this great shirt at the top:
2015 misc 011.jpg

...... along with lots of beautiful Cotswold scenery:
2015 misc 015.jpg

We had signed up for the 30 miler, but the call of the Hollow Bottom PH at Guiting Power was too strong, so we detoured onto the 50 mile circuit to get in a swifty. Apparently this is a favourite of the National Hunt racing fraternity, and there was a variety of horse racing memorabilia inside. My eye was drawn to the menu, however:
2015 misc 016.jpg

Decided against eating any rodents today, and settled for a quick pint instead. Lots of others had had the same idea.(I thought this ride was supposed to promote a healthy lifestyle?).
2015 misc 019.jpg

By the time we reached Winchcombe, Andy was starting to suffer, so we stopped for more refreshments. Didn't need the (free) mechanics this year ... as I'd already fixed Andy's bike twice before we got there! Was quite impressed by the idea of "mobile cycle servicing" though. Also saw my own LBS mechanic, (Paul Loosemore of Striking Bikes, Gloucester) driving past earlier, but he must have been stationed on the 50 mile circuit.
2015 misc 020.jpg

Once again, a thoroughly enjoyable day out. (These rides always are). Pretty decent weather too. Our pub diversion ended up adding on 10 miles by the time we got back to Cheltenham racecourse, so we did 40 miles in all by following last year's route instead of either of this year's. The Saracen (my number 2 bike) coped well on its longest ride since refurbishment. Happy days.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My first ride since I developed patella tracking problems.
After two weeks of being banned from the bike on doctors orders, I've been told to limit cycling to a maximum of 15-20 minutes to start with, which limited me to a steady 3 miles on local roads. Still, just being able to get back out on the bike felt great and the knees seem OK so fingers crossed.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Time to head in a direction east I haven't explored.....

This I've called the '1 Ferry'

I remembered about @Brandane and his escapade at the ferry terminal :rofl:
I'd crossed this part of the river many moons ago on a big red clanking chain ferry....
I dropped down to sea level before heading east to Langbank before the steady climb up the Hatton Brae and onward to the Erskine Bridge.
Up and over I dropped down the glen to Old KIlpatrick and joined the cycle path which would take me through Clydebank (passing the floating chippy) before it was time to hit the busy roads to Yoker.
View attachment 88804
Unlike our man Brandane I had the correct money and a flash of my bus pass and I got a concession, delighted.
View attachment 88805

A short crossing then sod it, some geocaching to do.
I joined the Clyde walkway which runs the length of Braehead shopping centre.
I bagged six geocaches en route before coming to the end of this bit of walkway.
The return journey was to bypass Renfrew town centre and I took another older walkway which runs parallel to the river.
I stopped to watch planes coming into land at Glasgow Airport before making my way on to familiar territory via Inchinnan Industrial Estate, I joined the Georgetown Straits before heading down the Moss Rd to Linwood where I joined Route 75 and headed the last ten mile to home.
40 mile covered on a good cycling day weatherwise.:okay:
You have a floating chippy?? As in Chips Ahoy? :laugh:

U

User33236

Tagged along today with Mrs SG and some of her running club mates who were going for a ride. As some are quite new to cycling I knew the pace would suit me on my first 'proper' ride since my RTC just over a month ago.

In total we went 110.1km (I did go round the block at then end to round it up) with 793 metres of climbing. As we neared the end of the ride I thought I'd test myself out on a shortish hill near my home and was able to knock my best time down to 1:45 from 1:58 :smile:. Feeling confident now to really get back into training for the Wales Velothon.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A quick 20 miler turned into disaster. Spoke broke and wheel buckled after hitting a pothole. 1 mile down the road I come off. Luckily I wasn't hurt and only 2 miles from home.
Now I have a wheel to fix. :cursing:
:sad: I can't 'like' this... As the song goes... "Things can only get better" :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another weekend, Another Audax, Another 160 miler. This time The Great Escape 200k from look Mum No Hands in London, to deepest, darkest Essex, along with a good bunch of Cycle Chat Peeps. rb58, Mark Grant, Michael Adu, Gordon P, Nigel182, Arallsopp, iLB's, Flying Dodo, Velovoice, Pippa G and a special appearance by Mice. . Well organised by Islington CC. As it was organised by a road club rather then Audax peeps. It did feel more like a Sportive rather than an Audax. And I don't think some of the roadie chain gangs realised the difference. 2 different club chain gangs had to ask us the way with one asking why there were no direction markers.
But it was a very nice route, plenty of rolling country lanes. The weather stayed nice, though a chilly wind at times. I do have sunburnt legs......sorry, that should be, achy, sunburnt legs....

Anyway. 160 miles for the day - am happy with that.
Century # 15 for 2015, C#148 over all.

170515.jpg

Look Mum No Hands in London. 8am on a Sunday morning 300+ cyclists gathering..
look mums.jpg

Top Bottom