Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Another lovely warm evening, but much windier than Tuesday, which made it hard going in a Westerly direction. It’s that nice fresh warmth, rather than muggy, which is always nice.

Just my usual evening route around Shrewsbury, but done in a clockwise direction, which doesn’t happen often.

Plenty of people in The Quarry, enjoying the sun and twice had to stop for bird life, on the Towpath. Once for about 40 odd pigeons that had swarmed to eat food that a couple had scattered for them and then to let a couple of ducks waddle across!

13.5 miles at a slow wind and town affected 11.6mph avg

Wow @booze and cake that looked like an amazing time out there :thumbsup:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Did my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride today, as I'd been unable to find time for it earlier in the month when I was away in Scotland. This was the least planned Challenge ride I'd ever done. Just got on my bike with a vague idea of heading off towards Hereford and pretty much winged it, arriving back on 103.2km (64.2 miles). Headed out of town via my favourite traffic-free route through Gloucester Docks .... where I came across a bit of graffiti that made me laugh:
P1040955.JPG

After that I took every cycle way and quiet lane I could think of, and made my way over to Newent:
P1040957.JPG

Then followed a bit of a horror trip along the B4221 to Gorsley .... with a stream of fast moving trucks in both directions and a narrow road with solid lines down the middle. I survived it, but hated that quarter of an hour. Eventually made it to Brampton Abbotts on the outskirts of Ross-on-Wye and made my way along one of my favourite little lanes through the quaintly named "Hole-in-the-Wall". This involved passing the curiously placed pedestrian suspension bridge over the Wye. This just leads into a muddy field on the other side and always makes me wonder why it was considered worthwhile building:
P1040960.JPG

From there, I rode along the river bank through Hole-in-the-Wall:
P1040961.JPG

zig-zagged about a bit, crossing the Wye twice at Hoarwithy and Holme Lacy.
P1040962.JPG

P1040964.JPG

but not before stopping for a bowl of curried vegetable soup and a pint of Stowford Press cider at the curiously-named "Cottage of Content". Had a nice chat with an elderly couple form Barnard Castle, County Durham, then moved on.
P1040963.JPG

Having meandered my way out to Herefordshire, I turned for home at about the 37 mile mark, and was pleased to hit Newent at the 52 mile mark. Years of elder care callouts to Newent had tought me that it is almost exactly 12 miles from home, so I was able to stop thinking about the route and just get on with it. Must admit, I struggled a bit from the 42 to 55 mile marks as I'd picked a pretty up-and-down return route, but found the groove again later on. Called off in Gloucester Docks again on the way back, as the tall ships were due to be arriving for the Gloucester Tall Ships Festival. Timed it perfectly, as one was just docking. Got myself an ice cream and watched for a few minutes:
P1040967.JPG

Well, that was that. Month 53 of the challenge for me, and still going. Perfect sunny weather today, and I came home with some new tan lines. May ache tomorrow though.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Last night we did another long way round to the pub, Vic used her new TT bike for the first time, A shake down ride after i fitted the Di2 to it. She did seem a bit quick on it. the synchro shifting was working nicely, although we are going to have a play with it. The ride had no drama's apart from my other half who we kept dropping.^_^ She still loves me. Got back to the pub for a few beers and a chat.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2386095372
View attachment 467516

Very nice piece of kit! :thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've been in Ireland for a week with my sister as part of our Mum's 70th birthday. Also along was a long time family friend who hails from there. I've had no internet for a week, watched no TV apart from one hurling match, and have been blissfully far away from the hustle and bustle of my normal London life. My Granny was Irish but lived in London all the time I knew her, and she died before I was 10 years old. Now aged 46 this is the first time I've visited the country of her birth. My Mum is a keen gardener and we had a number of those on the 'places to visit list', and our family friend Cathy hailed from the south east coast, so we spent a few days there getting a guided tour of the area, and meeting members of her huge and incredibly hospitable and entertaining family.

In between these activities I planned to squeeze in some cycling on a bike I'd brought with me from London, so I'll focus on the 3 decent length rides I did during the week. I had been told many things about cycling in Ireland from friends and family alike. Be prepared for rain, be prepared for some rubbish roads and maybe drivers, and enjoy the amazing scenery.

My first trip was a short 35 miler, that included Tintern Abbey. Isn't Tintern Abbey in Wales I hear you ask? (I did too). Yes it is. In the 1200's the Anglo-Norman Knight William Marshall, first Earl of Pembroke, was the patron of Tintern Abbey in Monmouthshire, Wales. On his return to Ireland, with a new title, Lord of Leinster, his ship ran into a storm. Marshall vowed to establish a monastery wherever he landed safely. After landing at Bannow Bay in Wexford he bequeathed 3,500 hectares of land for the foundation of a Cistercian abbey. The abbey was named after the one in Wales and also colonised by monks from there. More info: http://www.megalithicireland.com/Tintern Abbey, Wexford.html
View attachment 467680
It was then along Euro Velo Route 1 out to the sea.
View attachment 467681

I enjoyed reading that.
It then meanders along the coast and I seemingly had it all to myself. I went a bit off route to visit Hook Lighthouse, the oldest working lighthouse in Ireland, and the second oldest working one in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_Lighthouse
View attachment 467682
Then it was back to meet the others for lunch. It was not a particularly hilly part of the country, but it was exposed and windy, and the terrain was undulating, with virtually no flat at all, so it was quite draining. The surface of the Euro Velo Route 1 was fine, but some of the other minor road surfaces were pretty bad, no huge deep pot holes, but a filling rattling surface that changed constantly and there was no way to pick a clean line through it. One particularly bad section for a few miles even bounced my water bottle out of its holder onto the road. Otherwise it was amazingly quiet and enjoyable and I still made good time. Route: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34793327

After a few days we drove over to the west coast and were based just outside my Granny's home town of Castleisland. We tracked down and met some relatives still in the area, yet more amazing Irish hospitality, giving us the full family history tour of the area, bring names to life and filling in many gaps I had in my own family tree, it was fascinating stuff.

This part of Ireland, Co. Kerry is perhaps the most visited part of Ireland. I'd heard it could be incredibly overcrowded during the peak summer months, but this early in the season it was possible to explore the jaw dropping scenery in relative peace and quiet. I was itching to get out on my bike, and had planned a 77 mile route that started with a trip to Killarney National Park. I was getting more and more excited the closer I got to it.
View attachment 467683
I passed through the Muckross House Estate to visit the Torc waterfall
View attachment 467684
And then cycled around the designated cycle path around the lake which was good.
View attachment 467685
Then out onto the road to begin the 3 mile climb up to Molls Gap. I can see now why it gets so many visitors, around every bend is an amazing view. I'm lucky as there's hardly any traffic. But forget about average speeds and soak up the scenery, I'm not passing through this without stopping and getting loads of pics, and despite occasionally threatening skies I'm lucky with the weather too.
View attachment 467686
View attachment 467687
View attachment 467688
View attachment 467689
View attachment 467690
The view from Ladies View
View attachment 467691
At Molls Gap I turned off and entered the descent into the Black Valley, so called because it was the last place to get electricity in Ireland. The top section was absolutely brilliant, no straights, it just flows from one bend into another, very technical but maximum grins. I passed about 8 motor bikers coming the other way, I finger waved and nodded at each of them, and they all finger waved back, and the ones with open face helmets were grinning as much as I was, brilliant fun.
View attachment 467692
Along the valley floor for a bit and then another climb for 2.5 miles or so towards the Gap of Dunloe, the only other traffic some fellow tourists in a traditional horse and cart.
View attachment 467693
And the view from the top, ahead of another amazing and technical descent for about 4 miles, that again had me whooping with delight.
View attachment 467694
It was then 20 or so miles back to the house, just under 77 miles for the day and one of the best days cycling I've ever done. The section from 31-55 miles of this route is pretty much my idea of pure cycling heaven, and I don't think I'd ever tire of riding it. A truly wonderful days cycling. Route: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34884694

The only thing the above ride was missing was some long, open, fast descents, but I ticked that box on our way back towards the UK. I managed to squeeze in another 77 mile ride by riding out to and up Mount Leinster. Quite a gruelling climb over very different terrain, but it was still good riding. I came across and rode some of the 9 stones route, which looked worth coming back and riding again at a later date. The view from the highest bit of road.
View attachment 467695
And when there's no trees and you've got an itch that need scratching, a simple post can be a priceless addition to the landscape.
View attachment 467696
From the top it was a fast sweeping descent for about 6 miles.
View attachment 467697
I was on my own and totally unfamiliar with the road so held back a bit, but still hit 46 mph on the way day down, arriving at the bottom with a frozen on Joker-like grin.

Route: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34966353

All in all I rode over 200 miles for the week and did not get rained on once. Irish drivers are the most courteous and patient I have ever come across. I had one close pass over those 200 miles, by a BMW 5 Series, proving their propensity for douche-baggery is a worldwide rather than a UK phenomenon. All other drivers were happy to hang back and wait until it was safe to overtake. I did not see many cyclists, but every one I did see I waved at, and they all waved back, motorbikes waved, and I had more car drivers wave at me than ever before.

Some of the back roads on the East coast were quite poor, but overall they were much better than I was expecting and signage was great. The food was utterly fantastic everywhere, much better than the UK, the fish and prawns were bigger than I see in London and I got twice as many of them. The people are amazing and I'm only sorry it has taken me so long to visit. Back to the ferry. The weather has been amazing, no rain all week, I even have an Irish tan.
View attachment 467698
Goodbye Ireland, I love you and I promise I'll be back.
View attachment 467699

I really enjoyed reading that. :thumbsup:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
IMG-20190523-WA0002.jpg
Another 24 miles to the pub. Paul suffered with a groin problem so he cut his ride short. The three of us carried on to the end. Paul got back to the pub 10 mins before us. But when we got there the beers were waiting. Had a nice evening sitting in the pub garden.
Had my new jersey on tonight.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/i7QRKp31

Last edited:

Tizme

Veteran
Technically it was yesterdays ride, but I was too knackered to get on the computer last night and as it was my first ride since November I'm sure you'll forgive me!

26.74 miles: https://www.strava.com/activities/2388333419 without wishing to bore you all to death, it's been a difficult 6 months, my wife of 38 years and I decided that we had come to the end of the road, sold the house and moved apart. Things are still very amicable, I love her dearly, we just don't seem to be able to live together, but enough of that!

The ride was lovely, tiring for a first cycle out after so long, but the weather was kind and the views spectacular, made me forget my woes and enjoy being out and cycling again, although my rear end let me know I was out of practice before the end of the ride!
DSCI0305.JPG DSCI0306.JPG DSCI0308.JPG DSCI0309.JPG

Hopefully I will be out and about again on a regular basis, but with an Irish Setter to walk twice a day and lots of decorating etc to do, there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day!

As it was such a nice morning I thought that I`d go out early ( for me anyway) so I was out at 8.00, quite a bit of traffic locally as I would expect but thought that it would quieten once in the countryside. Wrong. Out of the countless vehicles that came past me and I am only talking about country lanes, there was only one car that actually waited until after a bend before overtaking me. The rest just overtook regardless, luckily nothing coming the other way. Of course most of these were on the way to work or on the school run. It was silly of me to have expected otherwise and I will go out later again weekdays. Normally I have a clear run. By the time I had turned off at Buxhall and on to Brettenham the roads were OK. We always say that warm sunny weather brings out the worst in drivers. At least I was home by 9.20 and in one piece. I will add however that I did`nt have any near passes, so must be grateful. Now we have the bank holiday to contend with, but earlier may be better on this score for getting on the bike.

postman

Legendary Member
Straight to CycleChat :hyper:Cafe can't find Your ride today fast enough.:hyper::bicycle:.52 miles today,ignore the Stava total,i always turn it off before i hit heavy traffic or a cafe stop on my way back.It was wonderful Embsay Steam Railway via Otley and Bolton Abbey.Again plenty of energy and stamina,thighs ached but i rode through that.Two bottles one with SIS tablet in and one with Sports Fuel.Never felt tired,i am so happy.Great photos which i will post up later.:sun:Also this cycling app Cycle Log is so simple and it is not eating the battery,i hope i can swap it onto my new phone which i intend to get in a few weeks.Mrs Postman and the two little Postal cadets have a Huawei each,despite the Google rumblings.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
On the same note, I'm just back in with a huge smile on my face. ^_^ I'm gradually easing myself back in and thoroughly enjoying the wee 10 mile loop on quiet lanes and drover tracks around the nearby hills. Stopped to talk to a couple of pigs and then had to take a pic of what, to me, is cycling heaven.

20190524_153619.jpg
20190524_160449.jpg

Now for my weightwatchers chicken tikka dinner :sad:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday's ride.
My best bike lives on a pulley in the garage. In my haste to get going I caught the chain on something when getting it down, which I didn't notice until attempting to set off, almost suffering a spectacular clipless moment on my own driveway. The chain had come off and was solidly wedged between the granny ring and the frame.
I made a mental note to check the front derailleur adjustment on return as the shifting had been getting worse lately. It was now even worse, though the biggest problem was getting it to shift up to the big ring.
I stopped at the top of the Windydoors climb to take a photo. Looking back towards Gala and Melrose with the 3 Eildon Hills in the distance. The Cheviot is just visible on the far horizon to the left.

IMG_20190524_171531[1].jpg

Next up the B6362 out of Stow which starts at 15%. I couldn't concentrate on grinding up this due to a new rattle that had started as soon as I changed to the granny ring. I remembered having lost the granny ring bolts on my winter bike once - I'm always wary of over tightening them as they screw directly into the alloy crank - so I stopped to investigate. All 5 bolts on the granny ring nice and secure, but 4 of the other bolts were very loose and the 5th had lost its nut. After running repairs I carried on, the shifting got much better though the ride didn't. The tailwind across Lauder common after the end of the climb was welcome at first but it perfectly matched my speed and resulted in me overheating to the extent that sweat dripped into my eyes just at the start of the descent. This is a strava segment named 'can you hit 50'. For once this descent was no fun at all, ridden one eyed whilst trying to spot suicidal sheep and with a car behind trying to overtake.
Lauder High Street was even worse. Due to a rideout about to leave the town there were lots of horses and spectators hanging around to watch. The traffic, including me, was going at a steady 15 -20mph and I was riding in primary a sensible distance behind the car in front, with another car a sensible distance behind me. In 300m I had two parked cars, one from either side of the road, pull out on me into what they perceived (if they looked at all) as a gap in the traffic plus one phone staring pedestrian who never looked at all and very nearly T boned me as I passed.

A rather fraught 34.7 miles @ 13.8 mph. 791 metres up.

The map -

upload_2019-5-25_10-35-8.png

Friday's ride.
My best bike lives on a pulley in the garage. In my haste to get going I caught the chain on something when getting it down, which I didn't notice until attempting to set off, almost suffering a spectacular clipless moment on my own driveway. The chain had come off and was solidly wedged between the granny ring and the frame.
I made a mental note to check the front derailleur adjustment on return as the shifting had been getting worse lately. It was now even worse, though the biggest problem was getting it to shift up to the big ring.
I stopped at the top of the Windydoors climb to take a photo. Looking back towards Gala and Melrose with the 3 Eildon Hills in the distance. The Cheviot is just visible on the far horizon to the left.

View attachment 467915

Next up the B6362 out of Stow which starts at 15%. I couldn't concentrate on grinding up this due to a new rattle that had started as soon as I changed to the granny ring. I remembered having lost the granny ring bolts on my winter bike once - I'm always wary of over tightening them as they screw directly into the alloy crank - so I stopped to investigate. All 5 bolts on the granny ring nice and secure, but 4 of the other bolts were very loose and the 5th had lost its nut. After running repairs I carried on, the shifting got much better though the ride didn't. The tailwind across Lauder common after the end of the climb was welcome at first but it perfectly matched my speed and resulted in me overheating to the extent that sweat dripped into my eyes just at the start of the descent. This is a strava segment named 'can you hit 50'. For once this descent was no fun at all, ridden one eyed whilst trying to spot suicidal sheep and with a car behind trying to overtake.
Lauder High Street was even worse. Due to a rideout about to leave the town there were lots of horses and spectators hanging around to watch. The traffic, including me, was going at a steady 15 -20mph and I was riding in primary a sensible distance behind the car in front, with another car a sensible distance behind me. In 300m I had two parked cars, one from either side of the road, pull out on me into what they perceived (if they looked at all) as a gap in the traffic plus one phone staring pedestrian who never looked at all and very nearly T boned me as I passed.

A rather fraught 34.7 miles @ 13.8 mph. 791 metres up.

The map -

View attachment 467917

And yes, if the cars that pulled out and hit you or cause you to swerve they would say " Sorry mate, I did`nt see you". That actually translates as " I am not that sorry, I just did`nt look properly, too many things on my mind to worry about".

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Thursday, a nice 10 miles on my roadbike...paid quite quickly with sore knees (OA)
Yesterday, 2x15 miles commuting on the ebike, nice quiet roads for the most part.
Today, 11 miles with my wife, both on ebikes to a nearby village to get some meat for tomorrow's dinner. Nice quiet roads for the most part.

The long fast rides of days gone by have gone forever, but you can still enjoy a bike ride.

Top Bottom