Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A tandem ride back on home soil. We were both feeling a little tired so we just opted for Waresley garden centre.

Buzzards, swallows and goldfinch were the birds of the day.

E57E46EC-D442-4A71-BE8A-6EE73465219A.jpeg
99371F7E-276F-4C46-A235-78A60C88AEEA.jpeg

Gamlingay church and it’s pot holes and the low flying signs of Gransden airfield

25 breezy, warm miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2395669874

I read goldfinch as goldfish.

Must be more sleep-deprived than I thought... :laugh:

Zipp2001

Veteran
Fridays are half day's for me, and to make it better it's a long holiday weekend (Memorial Day) so no work Monday. So on the way home I stop for my regular Friday lunch, 2 hot dogs with the works, chips, and a coke. Then arrive home get suited up for some trails riding and exploring. I spent just a tad under 4 1/2 hours out in the woods having fun. It was a perfect way to start the long weekend.
Trek 5 1.jpg

Jimidh

Veteran
I’m currently sitting in my car eating my lunch after my 3rd lap at Glentress 7 MTB race near Peebles- i’m doing it as a pair with my son.

Contemplating whether I should head out and do a fourth when he gets back - there will be time for one more loop I suspect but it’s pelting down with rain and my knee is badly cut from a stupid and avoidable fall on my 2nd loop.

All good fun and i’ve worked up an appetite for dinner out with my wife and kids tonight for her birthday.

Old jon

Guru
All sorts of everything, in short. After my previous ride, in Brazil, my right knee started making pain. Not much chance to see a doctor, same day appointments are a rarity there, and we were travelling back to the UK starting Sunday lunchtime. And arriving at our front door Monday 20th evening. So Tuesday I saw my GP, had my knee X rayed and had a prescription filled. One week and one day later ( today ) I pushed the Ellis Briggs to the road and off I pedalled.

The difference is massive. Smooth tarmac, no road noise. Light traffic and the one thing I did miss while away is the sheer consistency of road construction here. Kerbs are pretty much the same on all the roads I use here, in Brazil they vary from a deep trench to a three foot high wall. Road junctions are so reliably the same here, t’other side of the Atlantic features cunningly concealed carriageways veering off at all sorts of angles and very few signs to show that you can turn HERE. Three yards beyond the sign. All adds to the experience.

This morning, the experience was different but the same, of course. Just that the last time was February. Towards the bottom of Dewsbury Road a kind taxi driver informed me that I should be riding on the cycle track, which gave me a flashback to Florianopolis. Cannot fault cycle tracks there. Anyway, a bit of a jaunt around Holbeck, I was going to Office Lock. On the way I passed the wreckage of the long-empty Haynes Manual building, I wonder how long the replacement will take to build. Anyway, onto the towpath heading in the direction of Liverpool but with no intention of travelling that far. Viaduct Road and across the river before beginning the climb that is Cardigan Road. Thing is, it is not a hill. Yeah, one end is higher than the other, but it is not steep. Just long. And tiring.

A squiggle through Headingley to reach the A 660 then up some more to Lawnswood. Just after the roundabout by the school I was passed very briskly. Not tempted at all, the lungs were in overdrive anyway. Continue, while deciding not to ride past Adel Church. Bramhope is the next village along, calling it that, I cannot recall it ever being just a village. Most of those smart houses along the road are over 50 years old. Hmmm. Anyway, turn right at the Dyneley Arms and have a long missed Wheee! down Pool Bank.

A bit of Bank Holiday traffic at the bottom of the hill, turn left to ride to Otley. I like this road, after the old paper mill there are views to the Chevin on the left and on the right the hill rising to Leathley and Farnham. Be riding that way again soon. But this morning, after a sharp left in Otley the route travels up the side of the Chevin. But back on the A 660, the Leeds Road, not the silly steep Old Chevin. Back to Bramhope this way is still a test of legs, rather slowly for me this morning, but followed by a sort-of-swift ride through. Again, at the roundabout I resisted the idea to turn left and pass Golden Acre Parks’ other entrance. Just carried along to Leeds, being passed once more by a rider who had done that on the way up out of Otley. Down to Headingley, red light at Shaw Lane and there is that overtaker again. But this time, after a bit of a chat, he turned right and I carried on to the next lights to turn right myself. Down the hill to Kirkstall, onto the towpath again and the gentle pedal back to Holbeck. Which leaves me to wander around a corner of Hunslet, turn right, away from the river and after twenty nine and a bit miles to see my front door again. The smile was well earned today.

A back on home ground map . . .

25052019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Monday's Ride

I rode over to Maryport to visit my 99 year old mother. She is in good form indeed. I spent a good while with her before taking quite a convoluted route back to Cockermouth. Lovely sunny weather with good views over the Solway to Scotland. The Isle of Man was on show too. 43 smiles

Wednesday's Ride

I had a bit of extra time this morning so I took a good loop onto some of the lower hills around here (Cockermouth). The views out over the flatter lands to the Solway and Scotland were superb. The Isle of Man was showing well too. Abbeytown has an old Priory church. It was here I turned into the wind. It always blows in from the sea in these parts. The lanes offered a little shelter but when I reached the coast things got tough. It's not often I get down on the drops. I lunched in Maryport before spending the afternoon with Mum. To return I headed along the coast to turn inland for Aspatria and then familiar lanes for Bridekirk where I decided to go by Isel. The Derwent was a picture as I crossed the bridge but that headwind was lurking again over the last few miles. 58 smiles

Today's Ride

Jules H, John G and me today. Lovely day for an outing. We agreed Newent would work so we took the standard run out to Pendock and on for Hethelpit Cross. The loop into Newent kept us away from traffic and the cafe did us some super refreshments.
Our run back was as usual. For once John wasn't time constrained so accompanied us back through the lanes. He even agreed to the detour by Brotheridge Green. All good today with lovely weather and great company. 54 smiles

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
SWMBO was working in MK today, so I took the opportunity to drive over with the Brompton to ride to Yardley Gobion. This plan went perfectly until I discovered the Brommie had a flat tyre. I went to Ikea instead :sad:
However, the kitchen parts I got only fit Ikea base units, which I don't seem to have. I need to return them.
Guess who's going to MK again tomorrow?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With a few errands to sort first thing it was 9:30 this morning before I got out on the bike - that's quite late for me!
The weather was spot on through, which is always a bonus.

Probably my last chance this month to add to the Half Century Challenge tally, so up Coal Road, then onto Skeltons Lane and down Sandhills into Thorner.
I normally ride straight through Thorner - it's only 2 miles from home, but today i stopped by the ford just off Main Street to grab a couple of pics for the ford thread...
IMG_20190525_094825514_BURST002.jpg
IMG_20190525_094844571_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20190525_094907127_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190525_094939750_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike and continuing on Main Street (the lane through the ford only goes to a few houses and a farm), before turning on to Milner Lane, which inevitably means the climb up onto the ridge.
Anyway, gravity defeated for another day it was along between the hedges and eventually to Rigton Green and a couple of right turns took me onto Bramham Lane for an isolated run all the way to Jewitt lane, up the rise and onto Thorner Lane.
From here it drops gently for a good way, before plunging into the lesser of the Wothersome dips where I topped 38 mph before climbing up the other side and onto the road to Bramham, past the Park.
Over the A1(M) bridge, right down the hill and up the other side onto Aberford Road to loop around the top of the village and back into the countryside on Toulston Lane.
The weather at this point was absolutely glorious and I wish I'd stopped to take a few pics, but I didn't. Over the county line into North Yorkshire and right onto Garnett Lane, which would eventually drop me down into Stutton.
Straight through the village today, over Cock Beck and onto the single track lane which would take me out out the A162.
A couple of drivers showed that they had no idea what the passing places were for - first one stopped with me quite a good distance off. I thought they were being polite but they were actually parking in the passing place so they could take their dog for a walk in the woods. The second got to a passing place, looked straight at me and barrelled through anyway...:rolleyes:

Anyway, up the hill on the A162 and at the top I had a slight error in the calculation department. I was thinking of turning left onto Raw Lane to loop through Ulleskelf and Church Fenton, but decided that I'd have enough for a metric half if I carried straight on through Towton. More on this later...

Right after Towton and heading for the battlefield memorial, where I had intended to stop for a breather and a couple of pics, but it was busy so I carried on, eventually dropping down into Saxton. Through a surprisingly busy village (I was passed by four cars) and out past the cricket club, intending to take that break at Linda's Bench.
Except when I got there it was occupied by a couple of cyclists already. How rude! ^_^
Anyway, with three being a crowd and all that I pootled on, dropping down onto Copley Lane and the steady climb up to Lotherton Gates, before taking the lane to Aberford, where I did stop at the bench for 5 minutes and another couple of pics, despite the weather temporarily clouding over:
IMG_20190525_111547760_BURST000_COVER_2.jpg
IMG_20190525_112408608_BURST002.jpg

I've passed this bench hundreds of times and never stopped there before today but I must say it's an odd spot for a bench.
No view to speak of, unless you look left or right along the road - in front is a banking with a hedge on top, and behind are tall, well established hedges too.
Regardless it came in handy today while I had a breather and a flapjack bar, before remounting and heading on my way.
At this point through I realised that I was going to come up short on the mileage for a metric half, so started thinking of where I could add a few miles in.
Into Aberford under the A1(M) bridge with the seemingly obligatory slow moving traffic above, along Main Street for a bit and left onto Cattle Lane for the ups and downs to Barwick.
Barwick to home is pretty much bang on 3 miles and I needed over 7, so when I reached Scholes instead of taking a left at the Coronation Tree I carried straight on into the village. I don't often ride this was as after the church it's one of those soul destroying "invisible" hills that even though it looks flat is actually rising up constantly. Still, I reached the former railway bridge eventually and enjoyed a bit of respite out to the A64, where I had a bit more respite waiting for a gap in traffic then took my life in my hands for a few hundred yards down to the Thorner turning.
Along there to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road and local roads heading for home, realising that I was still a couple of miles short. :eek:
So a left instead of a right, followed by a series of longish loops around to get the distance in, and then up to home.

31.40 miles (50.53 km) in 2h 36m at an average of just 12.0 mph with 1,712 ft climbed and an average temperature of 20.0°C

Enjoyed that, despite the self inflicted navigational error - I really should know better :rolleyes: but it all adds to the variety doesn't it?
A couple of numpty drivers about but thankfully far fewer than recent weeks and it's another point in the bag.
Nice to be able to ride out in shorts and a short sleeved top again too, with Garmin telling me that today's temperature maxed out at a tropical 27.0°C which should be warm enough for anyone, which was probably why there were so many cyclists out and about today.

And to end, the map:
25052019.JPG

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
With a few errands to sort first thing it was 9:30 this morning before I got out on the bike - that's quite late for me!
The weather was spot on through, which is always a bonus.

Probably my last chance this month to add to the Half Century Challenge tally, so up Coal Road, then onto Skeltons Lane and down Sandhills into Thorner.
I normally ride straight through Thorner - it's only 3 miles from home, but today i stopped by the ford just off Main Street to grab a couple of pics for the ford thread...
View attachment 467985 View attachment 467986 View attachment 467987 View attachment 467988
Back on the bike and continuing on Main Street (the lane through the ford only goes to a few houses and a farm), before turning on to Milner Lane, which inevitably means the climb up onto the ridge.
Anyway, gravity defeated for another day it was along between the hedges and eventually to Rigton Green and a couple of right turns took me onto Bramham Lane for an isolated run all the way to Jewitt lane, up the rise and onto Thorner Lane.
From here it drops gently for a good way, before plunging into the lesser of the Wothersome dips where I topped 38 mph before climbing up the other side and onto the road to Bramham, past the Park.
Over the A1(M) bridge, right down the hill and up the other side onto Aberford Road to loop around the top of the village and back into the countryside on Toulston Lane.
The weather at this point was absolutely glorious and I wish I'd stopped to take a few pics, but I didn't. Over the county line into North Yorkshire and right onto Garnett Lane, which would eventually drop me down into Stutton.
Straight through the village today, over Cock Beck and onto the single track lane which would take me out out the A162.
A couple of drivers showed that they had no idea what the passing places were for - first one stopped with me quite a good distance off. I thought they were being polite but they were actually parking in the passing place so they could take their dog for a walk in the woods. The second got to a passing place, looked straight at me and barrelled through anyway...:rolleyes:

Anyway, up the hill on the A162 and at the top I had a slight error in the calculation department. I was thinking of turning left onto Raw Lane to loop through Ulleskelf and Church Fenton, but decided that I'd have enough for a metric half if I carried straight on through Towton. More on this later...

Right after Towton and heading for the battlefield memorial, where I had intended to stop for a breather and a couple of pics, but it was busy so I carried on, eventually dropping down into Saxton. Through a surprisingly busy village (I was passed by four cars) and out past the cricket club, intending to take that break at Linda's Bench.
Except when I got there it was occupied by a couple of cyclists already. How rude! ^_^
Anyway, with three being a crowd and all that I pootled on, dropping down onto Copley Lane and the steady climb up to Lotherton Gates, before taking the lane to Aberford, where I did stop at the bench for 5 minutes and another couple of pics, despite the weather temporarily clouding over:
View attachment 467989 View attachment 467990
I've passed this bench hundreds of times and never stopped there before today but I must say it's an odd spot for a bench.
No view to speak of, unless you look left or right along the road - in front is a banking with a hedge on top, and behind are tall, well established hedges too.
Regardless it came in handy today while I had a breather and a flapjack bar, before remounting and heading on my way.
At this point through I realised that I was going to come up short on the mileage for a metric half, so started thinking of where I could add a few miles in.
Into Aberford under the A1(M) bridge with the seemingly obligatory slow moving traffic above, along Main Street for a bit and left onto Cattle Lane for the ups and downs to Barwick.
Barwick to home is pretty much bang on 3 miles and I needed over 7, so when I reached Scholes instead of taking a left at the Coronation Tree I carried straight on into the village. I don't often ride this was as after the church it's one of those soul destroying "invisible" hills that even though it looks flat is actually rising up constantly. Still, I reached the former railway bridge eventually and enjoyed a bit of respite out to the A64, where I had a bit more respite waiting for a gap in traffic then took my life in my hands for a few hundred yards down to the Thorner turning.
Along there to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road and local roads heading for home, realising that I was still a couple of miles short. :eek:
So a left instead of a right, followed by a series of longish loops around to get the distance in, and then up to home.

31.40 miles (50.53 km) in 2h 36m at an average of just 12.0 mph with 1,712 ft climbed and an average temperature of 20.0°C

Enjoyed that, despite the self inflicted navigational error - I really should know better :rolleyes: but it all adds to the variety doesn't it?
A couple of numpty drivers about but thankfully far fewer than recent weeks and it's another point in the bag.
Nice to be able to ride out in shorts and a short sleeved top again too, with Garmin telling me that today's temperature maxed out at a tropical 27.0°C which should be warm enough for anyone, which was probably why there were so many cyclists out and about today.

And to end, the map:
View attachment 467991
Who in the right mind would do extra loops just to get to a silly distance of 31.07 miles :laugh:.
Me and many others :blush:

gavgav

Guru
New territory for me today and a big climb up to 1700ft, onto the summit of The Longmynd with @Rickshaw Phil

A warm morning and some decent sunny spells, as I headed up to Phil’s and had a quick play with the puppy, before we set out in the direction of Church Stretton and the first test of my new gears.

It’s a generally uphill trend through Condover, Ryton and Longnor, also seemed a lot of traffic about today, possibly events going on for Bank Holiday?

The section towards Leebotwood was notable for us chasing down a squirrel, for a good distance, before he eventually disappeared into the hedge.

We are heading up there
D16EDBA3-97A7-4290-850E-4A4D56D49B62.jpeg

We crossed the A49, after a bit of a wait at the nasty crossroads, where a couple of cyclists coming across from the other direction appeared to steer right into my path, which wasn’t very helpful when you need to get across quickly.

We then continued through All Stretton, Church Stretton and Little Stretton (spot the theme?) before turning off by The Ragleth Pub, far too early for a beer though, and then began the steep climb, firstly on roads to Minton. I tested the new low gears out, which certainly helped on the steep sections, but I was having trouble with 1st gear, in mid range, jumping out of gear and so we paused in Minton for Phil to make some adjustments.

We soon left the tarmac and joined the forestry commission tracks, towards The Longmynd.
0F4F9596-0A46-4FFF-AB56-136F6F9429D2.jpeg

It had warmed up considerably by now and it’s a steep climb up there, almost 800 ft in a couple of miles, according to Strava. It’s very picturesque though and reminds me a lot of Grizedale in Cumbria.

We reached the top of the first bit of main climbing and paused for lunch, with a view of the nearby Midland Gliding Club, with many different flyers of all shapes and sizes, including a few of these
EC87AF80-CCF9-4A9F-886D-C18F91D78143.jpeg

Anyone need a Christmas Tree?
50153457-1FD2-42E3-9855-82796055DB3E.jpeg

Phil making an appearance
42988B31-50CD-453D-AC98-2BBD34E871EC.jpeg

We skirted around the side of the Airfield, on the Bridleway, which when cresting the first summit, gave these amazing views towards Wales.
209687E4-8ECB-4949-BCFE-4039E4F32813.jpeg

We turned off the gravel track and onto The Portway, which is a grass surface alongside the Airfield and quite hard going on the generally uphill trend. We paused to see a glider taking off and then joined the road again, across The Longmynd, before the short final gravel climb up to the main summit.

Action shot of Phil on the Bridleway
3B185182-E70C-4006-BB64-F9D91CEAF45D.jpeg

Unfortunately the climb was marred by my chain coming off, switching from Low Range to Mid Range, with the gears clearly still not quite right. Phil did an admirable job of getting the chain back on, as it had jammed itself quite well!

At the summit
CC7970CA-CBB0-4584-B4A2-9831979ECAB7.jpeg

Whilst at the summit, Phil had another proper go at setting up the gears and it did the trick, as they behaved much better for the remainder of the ride.

It was finally downhill now, but quite slow to begin with, as we were meeting lots of walkers, before we joined tarmac again and a brilliant fast descent through High Park, where 30.5 mph was hit, but the road surface isn’t the best in places.

This was highlighted when, after beginning the descent to Gogbatch, I went over a big bump and heard the clatter of plastic on road, as my second water bottle jumped out of the back of my rack pack. Phil retrieved it for me and was laughing at how it just seemed to levitate out of the pack!

Gogbatch is gorgeous and was my favourite valley, when I was little, for playing in. We also came across the Longmynd Pony’s, who had these really cute foals with them
F548F8EE-4D76-487A-9213-02C61E3D2DBE.jpeg

The descent through Gogbatch was good fun, before we then retraced our steps to Longnor and Ryton, meeting a pillock in a Ford Focus, who was going too fast and mouthed something at us, as he had the inconvenience of having to use his brakes, prick!

It was a welcome sight, arriving in Ryton, as The Fox Pub came into view, which was our refreshment stop, for a lovely pint and a half of Hereford Pale Ale. There were a few spots of rain, as we sat outside drinking them, but it didn’t come to anything much.
C3D310BF-8288-4157-B341-264CBC2E1130.jpeg

The legs had stiffened up, as we set off again, and I made a short notice decision to take us back via a different route, through Ryton Farm and Berriewood. There is a bit of climbing, but also a good long downhill section. I then surprised Phil again, by taking the lane to Cantlop, then the fast descent and climb back up to Betton Abbots and back home along the main road.

A fabulous ride, lots of hard work climbing, but worth it for the achievement of getting to the summit.

42.64 miles

Mike_P

Guru
Shopping and gardening duties occupied the sunny morning but at least it meant no sun tan lotion needed for the ride on the Defy this afternoon. Through Killinghall and Ripley, and then up Scarah Bank joining the westbound route of NCN688 Way of the Roses
BishopT north.jpg

Almost a constant climb pass Warsill, false flats being given away by eastbound cyclists freewheeling in the opposite direction. Brimham Rocks were a popular destination for a Bank Holiday weekend as usual, one day when its quite I will turn in.
Brimham 5.jpg

Downhill back to Ripley, although that’s a bit generalist given the typical lumpy terrain including Spring House Wood Climb on the way to Burnt Yates– only 4% average but with a maximum of 18.5%
Spring House Wood.jpg

No mistaking the downhill nature of the B6165 through Bedlam – the row of trees diagonally up the hillside marks the outbound climb of Scarah Bank. Was a touch chilly that descent.
Bedlam3.jpg

Back into Ripley –these are “Town Hall Cottages”with the “Hotel de Ville” beyond (the village hall / Ripley Town Hall) , like the a large number of buildings in the village they are listed for their architectural and/or historic merit
Ripley7.jpg

Took the Nidderdale Greenway which has been chalk marked, presumably by objectors, with the apparent alignment of the proposed Killinghall by-pass; that’s a by-pass that has been proposed for well over 30 years to my knowledge but there is another proposal to enact it.
Niddgrnbyp.jpg

Stayed dry although I did note the odd raindrop in the wind close to the end of the ride but it took a good hour and a bit after getting home to turn into normal bank holiday weather. 23.77 miles 1646ft climbed Avg 13.2mph
25-05 route.jpg
25-05 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As @NorthernDave has mentioned above, there's a thread in the Photo Gallery section covering "your bike in front of a ford" and today, with nothing better to do, I decided to head out to Grundisburgh to get pictures of my bike in front of BOTH fords in the village.

I started out with the longer run to Martlesham via Falkenham, Kirton and Newbourne before heading up Beacon Hill and turning off to Little Bealings where I found out that Lodge Road on the way out had been recently surface dressed but only partly swept, which was fun suddenly coming across deep patches of chippings on a twisty, narrow road! Turning off at Great Bealings for the back road to Grundisburgh I looked up and there were three buzards circling around on the thermals. Then came Grundisburgh itself and the objects of my trip...
Grundisburgh Fords (1).jpg

Grundisburgh Fords (2).jpg
There then followed a quick run through Culpho, Tuddenham St. Martin and Westerfield before dropping in to Cladon and along PaperMill Lane where a recent fire has devestated the derelict old Fisons factory which I liked the look of, despite its condition...
Before:
Paper Mill Lane.jpg
Now:
Paper Mill Lane - post fire (2).jpg
After that it was through Bramford, Sproughton, round Ipswich and into Nacton before home with just over 50 miles on the clock.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2396100610
Screenshot_2019-05-25 Fording Grundisburgh Ride Strava.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having a new small furry distraction at home (Idris, a cocker spaniel puppy :wub:) I have been a bit remiss in not writing up my rides over the last week so here is a rundown:

Tuesday - I only had a couple of hours to spare so took the Raleigh out to do my hilly loop through Condover to Acton Burnell, Hollyhurst, Dudgeley, Smethcott. Pulverbatch and back via Longden Common, Longden, Exfords Green, Hunger Hill and over Lyth Hill.

The wind was stronger than forecast but doing the ride in this direction meant I mostly had it as a tailwind for the first half. Despite it being a normal working day I was surprised to find plenty of other cyclists out and about and I believe I passed more in the first 12 miles than I did on the whole of my recent century ride.

I haven't brought the Raleigh on this exact route before (I've only used the knockabout bike for this one) and and was pleased to get on at a really good pace, especially later on from Pulverbatch to Longden which is a good stretch of flowing downhill that I always enjoy.:hyper:

28.9 miles at 14.6 mph average.

DSC0007433.jpg

Near Dudgeley Farm, Caer Caradoc as the backdrop.

DSC0007434.jpg

Bluebells near Smethcott.

Thursday - A lovely sunny day with a lighter wind and I had time to get a good run out on one of my regular routes. I started off heading round the edge of town to Montford Bridge then followed the marked cycle route to Montford, Shrawardine, Pentre, Melverley, Prince's Oak, Westbury, Nox, Shorthill, Exfords Green and extended it a little bit by heading through Condover.

I was heading against the wind for the first half but it didn't really make much of an impression. I caught a couple of other cyclists at Montford Bridge and overtook with a greeting, then further along the road at Montford they caught up again while I was stopped for photos and we ended up chatting for quite a while.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride to Melverley (overtook another rider here) then picked up what tailwind there was at Crew Green. The climb at Prince's Oak is always a pull but didn't feel too bad today then between Westbury and Nox the long, slightly downhill stretch was great apart from finding temporary traffic lights right on the best bit at Yockleton. Fortunately they did detect me and changed but not before I'd lost some momentum in anticipation of stopping.

I got some good speed into the dip at Westley near Exfords Green (top speed of the ride at 34.7 mph) but by Condover was feeling the effort of having pressed on so had to ease off a bit into the wind for the last stretch to home.

Exactly 35 miles at 15.6 mph average.

P5230166.JPG
Montford

P5230167.JPG

At Alderton Hall.

P5230168.JPG

Drink stop after the climb at Prince's Oak. The Breidden hills in the background.

Friday - Another regular route on a slightly more overcast but still pleasantly warm day. This time I headed through Condover to Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna, Withington, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor, and back via Condover again.

I had the wind mostly helping for the first half of the ride and really enjoyed pushing on, especially as the gradients are favourable much of the way to Withington. On the approach to this village I encountered a few other riders coming in the other direction and also unfortunately picked up an insect which stung me on the side of the face.:sad: Fortunately it wasn't bad so I carried on with just a dull ache.

At Cressage I had the climb up Shore Lane to do and had also turned back into the wind so the high average speed I'd set so far ebbed away as I headed to Acton Burnell and Longnor.

I'd wanted to get out as early as possible for this ride as the forecast had mentioned possible showers and by Longnor there were some threatening looking clouds gathering and spots of rain blowing in the wind. Between Ryton and Condover the roads were properly wet (shouldn't have bothered washing the bike yesterday) but it was all dry again after the village so I was fortunate to have just missed that shower.

34.3 miles at 15.4 mph average.

P5240175.JPG

Crossing the old bridge at Atcham.

P5240176.JPG

We're into my favourite time of the year now with all the lush greens of the countryside and wild blooms filling the verges.

DSC0007436.jpg

For those who haven't already seen him, this is the little chap who has been distracting me from logging in to write up the rides.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Almost up to date. @gavgav has done a good write up of our ride yesterday so I'll just add that I was pleased that he likes the new gearing but a bit disappointed at the teething troubles (as is often the case, it worked perfectly on the workstand :rolleyes:). It was a great ride and an excellent test for the bike as Gav utilised the entire range of useable gear combinations.

My recorded distance for the trip came to 41.9 miles at 10mph average.

P5250179.JPG

Brookside Cottage at Little Stretton.

P5250183.JPG

Paraglider looking for a landing spot near to Hamperley.

P5250184.JPG

On our way up the big climb of the day.

P5250189.JPG

Paraglider preparing to jump off the ridge as we join the Portway.

P5250191.JPG

At the gliding club.

P5250195.JPG

Made it to the summit despite shifting issues.

P5250197.JPG

:wub:

P5250204.JPG

Gogbatch.

P5250207.JPG

Refreshment at The Fox at Ryton.

Top Bottom