Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
.... at over 20mph on the way back up the A38.

Bloody 'ell! That's twice my average speed. How fast do the slow group go?

Looking set for my second consecutive 300 mile month since quitting work.

Cool. Congratulations on retirement (I hope this is in order, and giving up work was planned). Some days I think it will only be when I retire that I will get any riding in.

Just a sneaky 23 miles around town this weekend, delivering odds and ends for SWMBO's business. Rest of the time has been seeing the folks, walking the dog, and gardening. Was out front for several hours this morning trying to make the hedge look somewhat less disgraceful and getting jealous at all the cyclists zipping by enjoying the bank holiday. Back to work tomorrow and friends flying in from Australia to eat up next weekend. Which is nice, but sigh...

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Bloody 'ell! That's twice my average speed. How fast do the slow group go?
Cool. Congratulations on retirement (I hope this is in order, and giving up work was planned).
We usually cruise along on the flat at about 15-16mph. There was a following wind, and it was a particularly strong group this week!
As for the "retirement", it was more a case of being in the fortunate position of being able to walk away and leave all the stress behind. Not yet a pensioner, but not in a fix either. Loving it so far.

AndreaJ

Veteran
2 rides over the weekend, Saturday I was a bit short of time so a quick ride around Whixall along a regular route towards Alkington, across the canal and back to Hollnswood, Coton, Waterloo, Poolhead where there are now 2 foals in a field, Foxholes Horton then home. 19.9 miles @ 16.2 mph in the sunshine. Sunday I had more time so tried a different route to see if it would be near 50km, started in the same direction as yesterday but turned to cross the canal the opposite way then carried on to Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank, didn't fancy the rough road surface on the Whitchurch Road so carried on then turned over the Lowe to Wem along my commute to work route, slight hold up on the High Street where there are temporary traffic lights and onto Tilley, Nonely Loppington, Brown Heath,English Frankton, Colemere where I turned past the sailing club instead of going round the mere, through Lyneal, Northwood then home. 29 .3 miles @15.7mph average speed so a bit short of 50km but not bad for a guess. Still nice and sunny but a bit windy, I was getting blown about a bit and most of the route between Tilley and Colemere was into a headwind which made progress a little slow at times.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A pleasant 17 miles dodging the showers in north Norfolk today.

IMG_3693.JPG

On the Holkham Estate, the 'Triumphal Arch'. You can hire it out for a stay apparently.

IMG_3694.JPG

Further along towards the obelisk. On the Google Earth flight simulator, this is where I normally land my F16!

IMG_3695.JPG

Holkham Hall.

IMG_3696.JPG

Wells was heaving, so I got my shopping done sharpish and headed for the pine woods past the lifeboat station above.

IMG_3697.JPG

NCN1 between Wells and Burnham Overy. You have to keep your wits about you with some sandy patches in places.

IMG_3700.JPG

It's a few years since I've been along here and a new Cafe has popped up. It's quite fun but was heaving so I'll save a proper visit for a midweek in say, late November when I should have the place to myself.

IMG_3699.JPG

Holkham Gap.

IMG_3701.JPG

During a shower, I sheltered under a huge oak and had a chat with an old pal. Lord Liecester.

Back just before a massive deluge. I'd planned another ride but watched telly by the fire with a few cuppas instead.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wasn’t going to post my ride today as it was a mundane utility ride to the bank and back.

On the way back I turned a corner on the NCN cycle path and a couple were pulling another lady out of hedge who apparently had fallen off her bike.

I asked if everything was ok and they said they might need some help, hedge lady looked pale and stunned. What I couldn’t work out was why the rear wheel was off the bike and some distance away.

She had had a fit or seizure, it transpired that the hedge lady was carrying the bike and wheel because someone had attempted to steal it and she didn’t know how to get the bike back together, chain was all twisted as well. Whilst the man was helping the lady up, his wife was one the phone to ambulance service, while we were waiting for the ambulance, I put the bike back together and made sure everything was working fine.

In the end she didn’t want to wait for an ambulance, so another couple took her and her bike home in a flatbed truck. She didn’t look well though.

B6D49C02-DB0C-4055-815B-6ADA01945A50.jpeg

Just over 8 miles today.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Couldn't be bothered to cook dinner today so I tok advantage of the £6 big plate special at one of the local Hungry Horse pubs and got a metric 50 in at the same time!
Screenshot_2019-05-28 Out to lunch Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-05-28 Out to lunch Ride Strava(1).png

Old jon

Guru
Bright again, and dry this morning. No reason not to ride, yet again on the geared bike ‘cos my fitness is lacking. Yup, the fixed should make me fitter faster but the hills. Hmmm. Maybe next week.

Even with the geared bike, the route was to the flatter bits locally today. Still 1100 feet of up in the ride though. Around a bit of Holbeck and then out through Hunslet, the next hilltop is John o’ Gaunts. A bit of a rest after a left turn to Woodlesford, the drop past the station leading to the A 642. Turn left, then cross the Aire and Calder canal, then the river and the uphill starts again and keeps company all the way through Swillington and beyond. Eventually, a descent to the roundabout on the edge of Garforth, and instead of straight on, staying on the A 642, I turned right. Around the southern edge of the town on the A 63. And up one half of Garforth Cliff. Walked the other half, the legs were not doing well. Back on the bike and carry on past Peckfield Bar to the next roundabout. I do not have a name for it, but it has a left turn that goes to Micklefield, and that is the way I went. After riding through the village the road rises a bit, there seemed to be more help from the light breeze than usual, maybe it was a little more southerly than most days. So, to the crossroads with the B 1217 and turn right, the road leads past the gates at Lotherton Hall, and it is a quick bit of road. Sort of quick anyway. By the gates turn left, up and then down, under the A 1 to Aberford and the road that once was the A 1, just like Micklefield Main Street. Right turn, then left and after a few lumps and bumps there is Barwick on the horizon.

But still more uphill to reach the place. Past the new Tea Rooms or whatever they are called, further along what used to be a vehicle repair shop, three months ago, now seems to be a garden centre. To the maypole and go left. The road flattens out for a while, gives the legs a rest, then gradually increases in gradient. Oh the joy! Especially when the gradient goes the other way. Scholes, a quiet Wednesday here. To the A 64 and turn left, escape by turning right a bit further along onto Thorner Lane and take the next left onto Skeltons Lane. This has sprouted a few new build houses, a lonely spot really. Red Hall Lane to the Wetherby Road and another left turn for the whizzzz down Boot Hill. The way home now, once past the Oakwood Clock, goes down Roundhay Road, with a left turn leading to the edge of the town centre. Before home is reached the river has to be crossed again and that small edge of Hunslet leads to the street where I live. A big grin ‘cos the weather has been kind for the whole thirty one miles.

The map,

29052019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H was up for a ride to the Wyre Forest after being put off about 5 years ago. The difference? He's got a proper climbing gear at last. Forecast was for drizzle and relatively heavy showers. We got some drizzle but no heavy stuff. But it was cold. Having not been for a while I was somewhat pleased to get the route through the maze of Bliss Gate correct. Jules found his climbing gear did the job on the steeps of Pensax and Greenway. So a repeat is not out of the question. I just hope the cold and damp and the mists that hid the views will be gone next time. 61 smiles with some steep climbs contributing to almost 4400 feet of up.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Last day of freedom before back to work for nine consecutive days. I'd mapped out a route from Newmarket to home, but weather and train cancellations put paid to that so last night Plan B was invoked and a route around the Diss area was mapped out and loaded to my Garmin instead.

Started out in cool & breezy conditions with a few drops of rain in the air and headed west to Bressingham then down to Redgrave & Lopham fen, across to Blo Norton and Thelnetham
Thelnetham Windmill.jpg

There then followed a long drag into the wind through Hinderclay to Rickinghall, a short respite going through Botesdale before another headwind and uphill drag to Gislingham and across to Thornham Magna and Thornham Parva before crossing the A140, down one side of the River Dove through Braiseworth where there was a bit of a water hazard
Water Hazzard.jpg

and back out into the countryside around Hoxne, Oakley & Brome to head back into Eye, this time from the north, back across the A140 to Yaxley, Mellis & Thrandeston
Thrandeston (2).jpg

Finally into Stuston and, to make up the mileage, a couple of loops around Diss where it was all "Normal for Norfolk"
Diss Clock.jpg

A bit slower than normal for me, partly due to finding plenty of photo opportunities and partly due to a lot of the roads being more suitable to my Spa Elan then the Planet X!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2406338898
Screenshot_2019-05-29 Diss'll do in the wind Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-05-29 Diss'll do in the wind Ride Strava(1).png

Attachments

• Eye head.jpg
    Eye head.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 12

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another short utility ride today to get some salad from the shops. More pretty wild flowers including a pink poppy which I’m sure I’ve never seen before. I tried to take a photo of it, but it was so windy I couldn’t get it in focus. As I was trying to get the poppy photo a huge Bee came along to see what I was up to. A little over 6 miles again.

CA7C6856-C640-45B7-80D7-8107DB5C0ECE.jpeg
8E0FF9DE-1C26-4D80-A6BC-8D7AE4CB348F.jpeg

At the top left are the Didcot cooling towers which are apparently coming down this year.

B729F807-68DF-4835-99B5-509053590BFC.jpeg
C518B1FC-A56F-4923-8642-64BF874D4817.jpeg
1B818A00-D00B-499C-8121-6F671A17B260.jpeg
DB9E10D2-42F6-4D59-A705-56A45E2915BA.jpeg
07227711-CD6C-4E88-AB83-52BC5D5903CE.jpeg

Top Bottom