Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You wouldn’t think it was so difficult to buy an ice cream would you?

It’s been a lovely day today and a very rare Saturday off for me. The Fragrant MrsP went out to see a friend so I buggered off on my MTB. Up to The Ridgeway, I had a loose plan to stop off at the shop in the amusingly named village of Ginge, where I know there’s a small shop.

Stopping on route for some photos and enjoying a gentle pace around the Vale of White Horse countryside I pootled about the tracks and byways enjoying and the bike.

I eventually arrived at Ginge at two minutes passed four to discover the shop closed at four. No matter there’s another shop a couple of miles away on the Harwell Campus, on my way passing an on-coming 4x4 plod-mobile let me pass on the narrow lane. Fifteen minutes later I arrived at my destination passing the same plod-mobile, I nodded and smiled at the driver and arriving at the shop only to discover the feckin place was closed.

No matter, there’s a garden centre a mile away with a cafe, I’ll get an ice cream there, off I rode on the shared path as the main road had just been surface dressed, I hate that stuff.

The cafe was closing but sold Ben & Jerry’s which they were begrudgingly willing to serve but I didn’t like the flavours they had available. I discovered in the main shop they sold ice cream there from one those retail chest freezers this was my only chance, the choice was meagre but I happened upon a nice mint crunch ice, upon which I pounced before anyone else got it.

Once my hard earned confection was consumed I had a two and a half mile down hill ride home, great fun a lovely ride out today, I think I prefer off road riding, I don’t get stressed, I’m not cursing at inconsiderate twunts in cars, it’s more peaceful, I can stop more often, safely, the riding just feels more relaxing.

8D400DB8-5C36-4956-A3E3-1299764F6A9E.jpeg

Some Goats in the field.

ECA67D1E-B0BC-47D1-A6AB-963D69C75A6E.jpeg

Those clouds look like Zeppelins to me.
399CB1D8-F4DE-4FFD-A394-8D401A5957D4.jpeg

The Ridgeway.
E20386B3-6AEA-439B-8C1B-2B9646D5E270.jpeg

It doesn’t look much but from that gap in the trees was a very fast chalky down hill.

4F054636-6D67-44E1-AE3F-A810ACB36C6F.jpeg

A new track I discovered.
376881DC-35E5-49A8-97EF-A7B648104177.jpeg

And the view from the top.
F7F9C698-4BAD-4DB8-A201-59C5476716CC.jpeg
3BCA319D-BD16-4FF6-9BDF-221DE383455F.jpeg

362B86AD-F43E-474D-9E56-AFBC534A09F5.jpeg

Finally!

6DE3EE4B-40FE-4E8C-9F85-A777454470C2.jpeg

The map a smidge over 18 miles.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E, Jules H, Rich B, John G, me and Sara P back after a long absence and a broken hip. Easy one today taking the standard run by Eckington to Pershore for the cafe sto. As we left the Worcester St Johns peloton came by. We rode by Stonehall Common and with John and Sara having headed off home to Worcester we 4 stopped in Upton for a pint. Quite hot today, a contrast with Wednesday's cold. 43 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Friday's Ride

Dull and a bit chilly when I set off. Around the north of the hills was OK. I spied Derek B in his garden at Alfrick Pound so I stopped for a chat. Then on over the Acton Green climb took me to do battle with a head wind. I got some respite eventually but it was still a nuisance to Hoarwithy. Last night's speed fest was being felt in my legs now and every up slope was hard going. To stave off the hunger pangs I stopped at Much Marcle for tea and cake. That helped a lot and by Brooms Green the wind was helping too. Pleased to get back tho' as I'm officially stuffed. 66 smiles.

We're out tomorrow so went for a ride today

Decided to cover lesser known areas north verging into the Chilterns

Went via Colnbrook, Langley, Iver Heath, Pinewood Studios, Gerrards Cross, and Seer Green
Skirted Beaconsfield and up via Little and Great Kingshill
Tried to dodge the worst of the roads in High Wycombe which resulted in a nasty little climb, Spring Lane

Then Back via more familiar route via Flackwell Heath, Cookham, Maidenhead (where I had an ice cream stop at Boulter's Lock), Eton Datchet and for good measure up Crimp Hill on the way home

63 miles at 14.7 mph 2323 feet climbed

Con

Über Member
Gat one of those motors you can conceal in your bottom bracket,no will know.I won’t tell,promise.
Just put the cheque in the post.
Is that the one you use ? What sort of range do you get

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm off on a mini tour at the end of June from Dieppe to Hook of Holland and I needed lightweight shoes, so off to Newmarket it was to get some.

IMG_3712.JPG

My favourite route into town. I'm never quite sure what the rules are in terms of riding across Newmarket Heath, part of which forms the two racecourses, but in 15 years no ones told me not to, so I'll just carry on.

IMG_3713.JPG

A distant view of the grandstand. Often in summer, swallows swoop around me as I ride along here on this vast open space. I often wonder if it's something they picked up in Africa around slow moving large creatures on the plains, scooping up flies around giraffes and the like. Sadly for the swallows, most of the flies near me were either in my eyes or mouth.

IMG_3714.JPG

We don't have segregated cycle paths in Newmarket we have segregate horse paths ( which are great for cyling too!)

IMG_3715.JPG

Shopping done in town, I headed back via Wicken Fen through Exning and Burwell. This is the bridleway after Exning. The hedge on the right is in Suffolk, everything else, Cambridgeshire.

Newmarket is almost an island of Suffolk within Cambs. I love historic anomalies like that. A rather snooty, Cambridge git once said to me how ridiculous it was, and that Newmarket should be in Cambs. I replied that I'd prefer to extend Suffolk's boundary to include the small town of Cambridge. Not sure he was that taken by that suggestion!

IMG_3716.JPG

After Burwell, back on the Fen.

IMG_3717.JPG

Slight swan obstacle on the path at Wicken Fen.

IMG_3718.JPG

Reach Lode.

IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3721.JPG

when I got home it was clear it had been a busy day while I'd been out. 4 hours, theyd not moved an inch!

22 miles or so in warm hazy sunshine.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A glorious hot sunny day in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire today. Got my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride for June in early. Entered the "Over the Hills and Far Away" 110km audax from Tewkesbury with a couple of friends. Paul was backing up his 100 mile ride yesterday with another one today by riding to and from the start. Claire and I both opted for a ride just shy of 70 miles, and that was quite enough.
Great company, nice quiet lanes and some great refreshment stops .... at Croome Park, British Camp, Chez Pascal in Ledbury, The Lower Lode pub on the banks of the Severn and the Royal Hope Pole in Tewkesbury. I now have some interesting new tan lines.
Just the one photo today, as I was busy trying to keep up (especially up the big climb up the Malverns at British Camp).
Me, Claire and Paul at the Lower Lode:
DSCF0544.JPG

Cheers, Donger

Mike_P

Guru
Somewhat surreal early evening ride yesterday. Normal Cornwall Rd / Harlow Moor climbs and down Whinney Lane but instead of looping back to the Otley Road to Beckwithshaw turned down Hill Top Lane which after decending with some logic changes into Hill Foot Lane into Burn Bridge. Then up Brackenthwaite Lane to the cross roads at the top with Shaw Lane. The grass at the north west corner of the junction was white with fallen hail, in June:wacko: Down Shaw Lane, a lot easier than going up it but pay back round the corner with an upgrade of up to 11.9% - a PR on that beating my last attempt, admittedly on the hybrid rather than the Defy, by 24 seconds. So into Beckwithshaw at its southern end so avoiding the worse of the ropy road surface and the climb up Norwood Lane to Little Armscliffe and then down to Norwood. North past the Sun Inn and east along Penny Pot Lane which was very very quite - just me and the local wildlife for long stretches. Was a bit wary of what direction a couple of typically brainless pheasants might run in but they simply stood and watched me ride by. Then, remarkably, a couple of small birds* instead of darting for cover flew towards me and then in front pacing me down the road:eek: Eventually a car approached and normality returned.
* Black body, white wings, species ?
19.19 miles 1381ft climbed 12.8 MPH avg.
0106 route.jpg
0106 elevation.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom