Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Friday's ride: A pleasant 14.5 mile bimble down the lanes to the pub and back with a friend who doesn't cycle much. Simon was riding my old No.3 bike that I'd given him at Christmas, and it was nice to see that he has been looking after it. A pleasant drink at the Ship Inn in Framilode and nothing to make me break sweat. It's not all about racing around in lycra.

Sunday's ride: A 43.7 mile club ride made up of me and four others who are all occasional intermediates and occasional social riders. The result, a fast ride. I was definitely way behind everyone else on the way up Fiddler's Hill to Painswick, and had to really work to stay on the back at over 20mph on the way back up the A38. But it was another enjoyable ride. Quite windy .... in fact when we passed Gloucestershire Aerodrome the windsock was horizontal, and a seagull was crossing the road backwards in front of me! Wildlife spot of the day was a little muntjac deer that strolled across the road a few yards in front of me just before we arrived at the café stop at the Rococo gardens in Painswick.

Looking set for my second consecutive 300 mile month since quitting work. My 3,000 mile yearly target might have to be revised upwards.

Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Todays target was an imperial half century . Out the door at 0900 as it starts to spit with rain not good timing but it's not too bad. Through Newtown Linford then the drag up Markfield lane out to Thornton down by the reservoir the rain has just put a sheen on the roads . The downhill s bends were took a lot steadier than normal . As I approach the T junction I rider comes round from the right and I see his back wheel step out and he's on the deck . He'd just got to his feet when I stopped checked he and his bike was ok and thankfully both were find bit of road rash for the rider and just a dropped chain on the bike . Helped him sort his chain out and made sure he was ok before pressing on . Heading for Market Bosworth therein got worst so on with the rain jacket . Through Bosworth, Shenton ,Ratcliffe Culley into Warton and some lovely smooth tarmac into Austrey . Then the climb up last the radio mast into Appleby Magna ,Snarestone and the rolling terrain back to Market Bosworth . Took the flatter route home Newbold Vernon ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby Groby and home . Had to ride past home as I got back with 49.8 miles on the clock a couple of tenths and back and finish on 50.12 miles. Weather was a bit windier than expected rain was never too bad the rain jacket was on and off twice . 50.12 miles in a minute over 3 hours 2600ft of upness a couple of Strava prs up the climb to the radio mast which I did properly try at

Last edited:

C R

Guru
A chance to get another metric half in the bag for the challenge. There was rain forecast after nine, but not cold.

Out at twenty to seven, with the intention of trying some new lanes. Set off through town, then towards Droitwich via the back lanes. The lanes were full of debris, so had to be careful on the descents. Made reasonable time to Droitwich, and from there made for Hanbury.

Stopped for a bit of a rest and a snack by Hanbury Wharf, and got a good view of the Droitwich canal
IMG_20190526_074105617.jpg

The idea was to add a bit of distance and try some new routes, so instead of turning for Crawle I continued along the Saltway, past Hanbury, and then turning right at Bradley Green, heading in the general direction of Grafton Flyford. The breeze was picking up, and was a bit annoying at times, but I was still making good progress.

Crossed the A422 at Grafton, past North Piddle, then Naunton Beauchamp and a left for the ford, where I stopped for another short break, and a photo of the ford

IMG_20190526_084716108.jpg

The last section of the ride was through Pinvin, with the intention of going to Drakes Broughton via the ford, but the road was closed, so I carried down the road to Pershore, and then Rebecca road for Wadborough. Past Wadborough a few drops of rain started falling, so pressed on a bit through Littleworth and made it home before the rain got serious.

36.8 miles, with just over 300m of up. The map
IMG_20190526_154801.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A chance to get another metric half in the bag for the challenge. There was rain forecast after nine, but not cold.

Out at twenty to seven, with the intention of trying some new lanes. Set off through town, then towards Droitwich via the back lanes. The lanes were full of debris, so had to be careful on the descents. Made reasonable time to Droitwich, and from there made for Hanbury.

Stopped for a bit of a rest and a snack by Hanbury Wharf, and got a good view of the Droitwich canal
View attachment 468169
The idea was to add a bit of distance and try some new routes, so instead of turning for Crawle I continued along the Saltway, past Hanbury, and then turning right at Bradley Green, heading in the general direction of Grafton Flyford. The breeze was picking up, and was a bit annoying at times, but I was still making good progress.

Crossed the A422 at Grafton, past North Piddle, then Naunton Beauchamp and a left for the ford, where I stopped for another short break, and a photo of the ford

View attachment 468174

The last section of the ride was through Pinvin, with the intention of going to Drakes Broughton via the ford, but the road was closed, so I carried down the road to Pershore, and then Rebecca road for Wadborough. Past Wadborough a few drops of rain started falling, so pressed on a bit through Littleworth and made it home before the rain got serious.

36.8 miles, with just over 300m of up. The map
View attachment 468179
Nice loop. I'm familiar with those lovely lanes. The lane from Pinvin to DB is OK on a bike. They've laid on a pedestrian/cycle bypass.

Reactions: C R

TigerT

Veteran
It’s been a mixed week of weather.

First was 4 days of commuting Monday and Tuesday I would have normally got the train, but cycled as we are still in ‘Bike to Work’ months here in Switzerland. I got soaked both days, both directions. Thursday was the complete opposite, I melted in the heat! Friday, short bibs - Perfect!

Saturday should have been nice up until 15:00. I got out by 10am and after about 30 minutes the sky turned black and unleashed a thunderstorm. I’d done about 15kms at the time and was soaked again so I took shelter at a railway station and when the rain eased off, headed home.

Sunday, the weather forecast was good and I woke up to sunshine. After yesterday’s aborted ride, I was struggling for motivation so I was late dragging myself out. It had clouded over and I really didn’t fancy getting wet again.

I started out on a long S shaped route to Winterthur for Coffee. Almost got taken out by a kid in a go kart (there was an event on later and the road would be closed but it was still open and he was lucky not to get hit by me or the oncoming bus) but that was the only event in what was a pretty nice ride out.

I parked the bike in the secure parking at Winterthur railway station and went off for a wander around the city. There was a marathon on so I couldn’t head out the other side as all the roads were closed, so decided just to head back the same way.

The ride back was not so nice at the start, a bit of a headwind. Then my right shoe broke - The sole snapped behind the cleat, but it still worked.

After that, things improved. The sun came out and the wind dropped, so I put in a bit of effort and really enjoyed it. So a total of 182kms for the week.

A couple of days of rain next week but then the temperatures are set to hit mid 20’s. I’m looking forward to that!

A4F3D122-62B1-4632-BCCD-00AEA99EEF98.jpeg
There is a beautiful park full of trees just outside Winterthur. It’s actually a shop, but it’s completely open to wander around.
122B907A-E99D-4F13-A59A-C961C3135E99.jpeg
Today’s map

No club run today, the HDW were. Doing 100 miles time trial, not for me!

I did a long and complicated route and as I often do had some navigation issues.

It was somewhat cooler and I noticed more of a wind.

The route took in a run down to Send and then back north going through Mayford skirting Pirbright and then Normandy to Ash. Then north through Farnborough, Hawley Yateley, Crowthorne, skirting Bracknell to Winkfield and home via Windsor Great Park

71.44 miles at 15.9 mph with 1965

https://www.strava.com/activities/2398891162

Towards the latter part of the ride it would occasionally start raining, mostly light but a couple of heavier bursts

Not enough to dissuade me

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Agreed with the missus to meet her at a local garden centre for a coffee, me ride out, her drive. Took me an hour to do the first 15 miles as I battled a brutal headwind. Took me an hour to do the last (just under) 20 miles as I had the wind behind me.

Garden centre was rammed.

Just under 35 miles in 2 hours, time for a fish finger sandwich.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2400972717

Old jon

Guru
A bit breezy this morning so not much use looking at weather forecasts. And I wanted a ride anyway, initial thoughts were to take the fixed out for its first ride since February. Then the thought of the intended route for today induced me to wheel out the geared bike. There would be hills.

Thirteen hundred feet was the reported elevation gain, to speak Garthing, after thirty one and a smidgeon miles of riding. The site reported a temperature of 8.9 degrees but said nothing about how black lacquered I feel after the ride. Let’s tell you how it happened.

The usual wander through Holbeck, where I noticed a couple of other demolition sites, one diagonally opposite the Commercial ex pub. First tick of the memory clock. Along Water Lane to Victoria bridge, and from there to Crown Point Road to cross the river on the way to Regent Street. These names sound grand, but they ain’t, development sites is a polite term. Tock, the site of the Regent ex pub and a couple of other music venues over the road. Up to the Clock at Oakwood, where all sorts of bike clubs used to start their club runs from, past the spare gates of Roundhay Park, down the dip and start up Boot Hill. Right at the top I could see wonderfully bright blue sky. Right where I was pedalling it was persisting down. I knew where I wanted to be, so kept pedalling. All the way to the top, and was rewarded with the blue sky. After a stretch of flat road, turn left onto Whin Moor Lane.

Another left turn and more breezy riding to the right turn at Slaid Hill and the wonderful ride along Wike Ridge. Along with Oakwood, this is an hour or more of the clock ticks. All the way to East Keswick, which has its very own clock, a Potts clock where most houses have a bedroom. Up the hill past that and eventually turn right onto the A 659 and ride down ( yes, down! ) to Collingham. Before reaching the A 58 turn left to ride through Linton on Wealth, named to distinguish the place from Linton on Ouse, a few miles northeast. Wetherby next, fairly busy place this morning. Amongst other things there was a procession of bikes being pushed across the river bridge. Dunno why, and the glum expressions on the faces of the pushers just put me off asking. On the A 58, Collingham again where I managed to resist the temptation to ride up Jewitt Lane, then the lights at East Rigton. Yet again, I did not turn left for the steep bit, just continued to Scarcroft and the climb past there.

After some more up and down the last quick descent of the ride, still pedalled, led back to the park gates, unused pair, the Clock yet again and the stuck traffic shuffle that is still being inflicted on folk wanting to travel from the bottom of Eastgate to Crown Point Bridge. Not too bad on the bike. Of course, cross a river and inevitably the roads after trend upwards. But it is the final lap to home and this time a weary smile as I just beat the next shower. Good ride and all.

A map, rain free

27052019.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Checked the weather forecast just before turning in last night and with it set to be dry, but breezy until late morning, I set the alarm for early (for a bank holiday, anyway) on the back of it.

So, out on the Giant just before 8 and back into the layers and longs as it felt a bit brisk. The bike steered itself to Coal Road and I noticed that the flags on the Unilever factory were suggesting it was a bit windy, but down at road level I was fairly sheltered from it.
That changed as I turned onto Red Hall Lane and the maelstrom enveloped me.
Anyway, onto the A58 and then onto Whin Moor Lane, just like @Old jon above (small world), but at least it was dry for me and under blue(ish) skies.
Past a group of racing snakes all getting ready for the off, and out into the countryside, getting passed by those very same cyclists.
It's quite open along here, which meant i was enjoying the challenges of a swirling headwind, so I was glad to turn the corner onto Gateland Lane and the shelter of the tall hedges. Into Shadwell and I decided to turn right down the hill rather than slog up to Slaid Hill against the wind.
Across Bay Horse Lane and up that sharp little rise to cross the A58 onto Carr Lane.
At this point I should have been getting a bit of assistance from the wind, but I didn't notice anything. It's mainly downhill into Thorner from this direction, apart from a sizeable lump by the S bends, so I was soon in the village and onto Milner Lane for the inevitable climb onto the ridge.
As I neared Holme Farm Lane I noticed a few spits and spots of rain, but the sky was still looking benign enough, so I carried on through Rigton Green and out onto Compton Lane. Eventually this leads to Jewitt Lane and after a short climb I was heading due south with an interesting crosswind at each gate / gap in the hedges. Into the dip before the climb back onto Holme Farm Lane and the weather arrived.
The sky darkened and the rain started, adding to the wind, but then as I approached the Milner Lane junction to complete the loop it all but stopped - so I thought I'd go around again again.
It's a nice enough little loop this, nothing too demanding and just over three miles on quiet, often single track lanes.
Patches of blue were appearing in the sky over Rigton Green and all was well until the mid point on Jewitt Lane again, where the rain started and by the time I was back on Holme Farm Lane it was monsoon season, so I ducked under a big tree for a bit of shelter:
IMG_20190527_091007422.jpg
IMG_20190527_091114173_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190527_091027483_BURST001.jpg

Don't be fooled by the odd little bit of blue sky, it was persisting down and the temperature felt like it had dropped a couple of degrees.
Anyway, after about 10 minutes it backed off again, so I decided to do another loop around, this time via the deserted solitude of Bramham Lane. Always enjoyable to ride along here and again I saw no-one from one end to the other, but inevitably as I climbed back up onto Holme Farm Lane for a third time the rain started again, so this time I didn't faff about and turned to run back along the ridge and into Thorner.

Through the village and up Sandhills, with the rain coming and going but never completely stopping, then onto Skeltons Lane into the wind before Coal Road and local roads down to home, damp but happy to have gotten a ride in.

23.23 miles (37.38 km) in 1h 59m at an average of just 11.7 mph with 1,279 ft climbed and an average temperature of just 8.0°C

Happy enough with that. While it would have been nice if the forecasts had been accurate, I'd probably not have gone out today if they were, so it's swings and roundabouts isn't it?
I felt that drop in average temperature though, which was a full 12°C less than on Saturday
Checking the Met Office the winds were gusting at up to 30mph, so I'm officially going to class that as a bit blowy. Despite that and the frequent heavy showers (that have lasted all day), there were still a decent number of cyclists out and about.

And to end, the map - which Garmin has decided to add a sunny symbol to today, showing that even computers have a sense of humour:
27052019.JPG

Top Bottom