Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

There's something very satisfying about cycling round an island.
    IoW looks great.
    Bit far from Glasgow though.
    Arran is a great day out from here.
    Train+ boat £20. 56 miles , a load of climbing and a beautiful place to visit.

2. CarlP

CarlP La-Dee-Rhum-Buckedee-Ni-Ni-Nooo

The weather is shite today on IoW, grey, clouds, drizzly rain, and gusty winds all over. And some real arshole driving today, so crap it got me down and angry and for a lot of the ride I just wanted to go home put my bike away and never look at it again.

Which is a shame. IoW is mostly lovely and the road surfaces are good and when you’re on a quiet lane the riding is very nice.

Anyway we set off east today to investigate a bit of the island we missed yesterday via Alberston, Bembridge for hot chocolate and cake, then along the coast on shared paths to Ryde for a mooch about and lunch. Ryde isn’t very nice, could do with some investment, people didn’t look all that happy there. From Ryde to the Garlic Farm and back to base. 25.25 miles.

No photos today everything looked a bit dull.
    C9577180-C915-4BAC-879C-DC4F35C53BEC.jpeg

3. Donger

Donger Convoi Exceptionnel

Glad you enjoyed your first ride anyway, @CarlP. If you get time for any more rides on the island, I can recommend dropping down into Ventnor (if you have the legs to climb back out again!). The Spyglass Inn at the end of the promenade is a nice place to sit watching the sea as you eat. Also recommend the Needles at the west end of the island. (Noticed you just missed them on your earlier ride). There is a little track that leads out from the car park that you can cycle on ..... right along the cliffs. Shared with walkers and tour buses only. Enjoy.

meta lon, Rickshaw Phil and CarlP like this.
  4. CarlP

We went to the Spyglass yesterday, but didn’t fancy it, tomorrow we’re going to the needles if the weather allows.

Donger likes this.
  5. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

colly, DCBassman, Pat "5mph" and 20 others like this.
  6. Old jon

Old jon Veteran

Sort of cloudy this morning, and a bit of breeze. So, with the help of the breeze the weather could do absolutely anything. The only way to find out is to go and ride in it.

Take the bike with the gears today and look for some quieter roads. It is a long time since Holbeck has been lively, but that is the wrong sort of quiet. Crown Point Bridge and past the West Yorkshire Playhouse, turn right at the roundabout heading for Oakwood. Not busy but hardly quiet. Up that big hill and across the Ring Road, almost peaceful and then turn left onto Whin Moor Lane. One car passed and then nothing except the odd pedestrian. Turn left on Shadwell Main Street, ride to Slaid Hill and turn right onto Wyke Ridge Road. This takes me to East Keswick and a little bit past to the A659 with little traffic at all on a most enjoyable road to ride. OK the A659 has cars and trucks and things, it’s a couple of miles to the left for Linton.

That sharp climb after the bridge there has an atrocious surface, but it is soon over with and the rest of the road is good. Up and down of course like most good roads. Into Wetherby and busy again, go back across the Wharfe and take the third exit on the rather big roundabout. This leads to Collingham and a bit of a decision. Straight on for Bardsey and Rigton Bank or turn left by the former pub and climb Jewitt Lane? The latter. There are two spot heights on the map, twenty seven metres at the Wattle Syke junction and ninety seven just after the junction with Compton Lane. I took my time and admired the scenery. And used bottom gear. Compton Lane leads to East Rigton, quietly.

In fact I did not see a moving car all the way to Thorner. Not a lot seems to happen there although there were three coppers stood outside the pub at the end of Carr Lane. The church clock was chiming twelve, so the pub should have been open. Mexborough Arms, the pub, I just checked on Google Earth. I must be slipping ‘cos I normally navigate by pubs . . .

Still a distance to go and Sandhills is the next notable bit. Most of it is up, the alternative of Carr Lane does not often appeal though. Every road seems to be a lane around here, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes are the next three on today’s route to reach Wetherby Road. Turn left here, and shortly after notice the wind in my face. Riding down Boot Hill does that, not very steep but long enough. The right turn to pass those gates and that clock and continue, using the same roads as the outbound trip to go back across the Aire and along Black Bull Street into Hunslet. Escape from there in the direction of home, arriving with a smile ( our lass was home ) thirty three miles after leaving. A good ride.

Digital maps are quiet.

12092019.jpg

colly, DCBassman, Pat "5mph" and 16 others like this.
  7. CarlP

Another damp, windy, cloudy day today in IoW but the met office was promising sunny spells, so we went to Alum bay.

Strong blustery headwinds all the way, via Godshill, Chale Green, Shorwell,
    Brightstone where we stopped and had tea and cake at a craft fare, then on to Shalcombe and Alum Bay. I was a bit disappointed in the naffness of what tourism has done to the place but I succumbed to it and made one of those silly sand things that they sell.

The ride back was the same route, but with very welcome tail wind all the way, stopped at Godshill chocolate shop ‘ Chocolate Island’ for a very nice Hot Chocolate, highly recommended.

The promised sunny spells never arrived.

45 miles exactly.

524C7287-14AD-4EDD-9774-515B1766088A.jpeg

Chocolate Island.

67CAA277-3CC3-4C54-91D4-867EB0257411.jpeg

Naff souvenir.

5D3E8531-AFA7-4187-A5E4-D951855E8411.jpeg

The Map.

9DF4A2D3-A50A-43C3-B3F1-C53A2342CE1B.png

Edited to add the lumpy graph.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2019
    colly, AndreaJ, DCBassman and 18 others like this.
  8. Reynard

Reynard Guru

Back on the bike after a bit of a hiatus. An 11 mile round trip to an undisclosed location on Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Rode home with two panniers full of walnuts and a rack bag of apples.

Very gusty conditions (mainly a headwind / cross headwind) on the return leg made life interesting on a heavily loaded bike. Good job the cross wind came from the right, as I was being blown around some.

Think I've earned that cup of tea.

Edited to say that I love the hedgerows at this time of year - there are so many nice comestibles to be foraged.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2019 at 13:13
    colly, AndreaJ, DCBassman and 17 others like this.
  9. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

A bit of a bug has kept me off two wheels so this one was to see if things are back to normal. Sadly I suspect not. Lovely sunny day for the experiment around the Tewkesbury loop. 35 smiles

colly, Donger, AndreaJ and 11 others like this.
  10. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

A ride out to watch the Tour of Britian today on stage 7 . Plotted my route out to Fillongay some 28 miles from home . From there I could cut across and catch them again at Astley as the race looped above Atherstone .Normal route out to Market Bosworth then across the A5 where the terrain becomes a lot more rolling . Got to Fillongay early found nice stop to watch . The race came down a descent then hooked left . As the time got nearer loads more cyclists turned up and the infant school came out to cheer them on
    IMG_20190913_114722224.jpg
    The peleton cometh . Impressive bike handling cornering at speed in a big bunch . Back on the bike had a few traffic free miles as the traffic was still stopped . Heading south via Corley to grab 4 veloveiwer squares before getting back on the race route in reverse . At a left turn the police outrider had stopped the cars but allowed me through saying I'd got 5 mins . Found a spot to watch and soon there charging at us
    IMG_20190913_122331119.jpg
    2 riders just off the front . I think the Ineos rider is Dylan van Baarle ?. After watching the race and all the following convoy through . It was straight to the cafe at Astley . Lunch consumed then back home . Slight navigation mishap as Ridewithgps had plotted me down a canal towpath . Stayed on the road which meant Nuneaton town centre a bit busy for my liking but soon back in route back to Market Bosworth and an extended route home to take the milage up to 74 miles ( as my current Eddington is 73 ) . This ride also ticked off September's metric century challenge . A great day for a ride weather near perfect

Last edited: 15 Sep 2019 at 20:36
    colly, Donger, AndreaJ and 18 others like this.
  11. Mrs M

Mrs M Guru

767B1A44-57F5-4E82-836D-32FAF33A9675.jpeg 4CCBAF36-BB17-41B3-9FCD-560C69CE5326.jpeg
    A wee four and a half hour toddle today :ohmy:
    Bit of a clear my head ride (shouldn’t have taken that long, surely) :laugh:
    The sun was shining, short sleeves and Steptoe gloves were called for!
    Toddled along taking in the sights, sound and smells on such a lovely day.
    Stopped briefly at Duthie Park for a sandwich and coffee, remembered to “take away” this time and parked myself on a quiet bench in the sunshine, away from the cafe, (which resembles a giant nursery during the day, the noise is unbelievable) :surrender:
    Confession time - I’m coming to the end of a trying period in my life. Hooray :thumbsup:
    Been off work a while, the childhood trauma I buried so long finally came to get me a few weeks ago “big time”, always knew it would. (Flipped my lid a wee bit) :crazy:
    Anyway I’ve got some help, dealt with it (hard work) and I survived.
    I kept it a secret for a long time through (misplaced) shame. Know now I shouldn’t have.
    Mr M and friends have been great :wub:
    Also, very sad news, our neighbour passed away this week (on our wedding anniversary).
    He was 87 and been fading in front of my eyes for weeks. Street won’t be same without him. :sad:
    He told his wife, “tell (Mrs M) she was my chum”. Never forget that.
    Anyway, apologies for posting doom and gloom.
    On a more positive note, as we know, cycling does help so much, helps put things in perspective and lift our mood.
    I may have gone”a bit weird today” lol but know the old sayings, life’s too short, grab it while you can, etc. make perfect sense now.
    My new bike was a wee prezzie to myself for graduating from the “misery”.
    Only 2 pics today, a three ball teeing off at Deeside golf club (very posh) and my new lovely new bike in front of the river Dee, overlooking Cleopatras needle in Duthie Park.
    Hope you all had a lovely day, xxx

colly, Donger, AndreaJ and 17 others like this.
  12. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Excellent day at Cannock Chase
    2 laps of the Monkey and follow the dog.

Bit tired but its been perfect.
    No traffic probs and just right weather wise.

Nice views but i was too busy to take many pics..

IMG_20190913_094714.jpg

IMG_20190913_103719.jpg

colly, Donger, AndreaJ and 13 others like this.
  13. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

:hugs:hopefully onwards and upward

14. Mrs M

Mrs M Guru

For sure :okay:
    Thank you​

meta lon, i hate hills and 13 rider like this.
  15. CarlP

I wish you well @Mrs M . Nice looking bike.

i hate hills and Mrs M like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice