Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Last minute call from my mate , he had a couple of days off, so we took advantage of some decent weather and headed out.
IMG_20191015_095906444.jpg

Met at the Riverside / transport museum.
Then across the Clyde and out to Paisley and joined the route to Lochwinnoch
IMG_20191015_123518250.jpg

We carried on for a few more miles to Kilbirnie , but decided to have our coffee stop back at the outdoor centre at Lochwinnoch, before heading back to Glasgow.
strava4581006406443074246.jpg

Davos87

Guru
Can I just say well done to everyone contributing to this brilliant thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed dipping into it, marveling at some amazing photos from all corners of our wonderful country.....and further afield. Some of the write ups are very informative and entertaining too. One of the many highlights of this forum.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Back on the bike again after a bug I met up with Jules H, Pete M and Margaret PR. Sadly a mechanical put paid to Rich B and Neil Mac's attendances.
We routed thro the school and over the River at Haw Bridge. Onward from Tredington took us under the Cotswold scarp at Greet. We climbed easily to the Fruit Farm cafe above Hailes Abbey for our refreshments.
Back in the saddle Margaret hit a pothole so punctured. Burly gents muscled around to fix it. That tyre was incredibly tight! Wormington took us to the run around the northern flanks of Bredon Hill. Soon the Malverns were looming large as we parted at Upton having had a lovely day out. 76 smiles

Mrs M

Guru
Had an appointment this morning then the afternoon off so decided to go out on a wee countryside loop.
Lovely and sunny, 16 degrees and a slight breeze.
Had a very enjoyable toddle, taking in some lovely views as usual :smile: (who is that old bag?) :dry:

Headed homewards, felt good, so decided to extend my ride with a loop around the loch.
This involved heading towards the city along the shared cycle/pedestrian path then coming back via the quiet road, other side of loch.
Some wee pics from today.
xx

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Looked like the best weather of the week today so me & Mrs. jg took ourselves off up to Northumberland for some quiet lanes on the tandem with the hope of spotting some red squirrels. We parked up at Ponteland leisure centre, did the tandem off the roof faffing and got ourselves away up North Road. Ponteland is a bit of a cycling hotspot as it's not too far from the Toon and on the edge of some beautiful countryside so it's a really good jumping off point that avoids a lot of urban traffic.

The ride starts gently with a gradual rise up through Ogle and Whalton. It was along this stretch that we last saw red squirrels but unfortunately not today. After Whalton the road northwards gets lumpier by the mile until at Santon there is some serious climbing to be done. Just at the top of the steepest bit there was an old joskin digging post holes. 'Only two miles to the top' he called out cheerfully. It was hard graft but I'd rather be on the tandem than digging post holes any day.

20191017_120003[1].jpg

Northumberland autumn colours

More ups and downs brought us to Wingate and Coldrife where the views were fantastic. In the near distance were the Simonside hills with Spylaw looking particularly magnificent. Further north the Cheviots crowded the hazy horizon.

From Coldrife there's a steep descent into the Fontburn valley followed immediately by a long climb to our high point for the day. This brought on some faintly rebellious murmurings from the engine room. I caught the words 'tea' and 'food' but ignored it until the stoker came right out with it, 'Is there anywhere to stop on this route at all?' She had a point; we were now 28 miles into the ride and hadn't passed anything that looked like a shop, much less a teashop. There's a shop at Scot's Gap but it's plastered with anti cycling notices (DO NOT LEAN BIKES AGAINST THIS WALL, DO NOT ASK FOR WATER BOTTLES TO BE FILLED and so on). We decided to push on to Bolam Lake where there's a vistor centre cafe. It was the right choice as Mrs. jg had a delicious chilli while I had an equally delicious curry.

We had a wonderful creature feature between Bolam and Belsay when we rounded a bend to find a buzzard on some roadkill - we were almost on top of it as it took off. I felt I could have reached out and touched it. Marvellous to be so close to the wildlife.

An uneventful ride from there to Ponteland saw us put 45 miles under our wheels.

1571327068686.png

We now have a new tandem rule - no more than 25 miles between cafe stops in future.

Old jon

Guru
Well, a blue sky was there, and also the first light frost this month. Or the first I have seen, that is. Early is no longer in my dictionary, for all I know there may have been many frosts. Anyway, after a week off with a sore knee it is time to ride again.
On the fixed, the geared bike would be easier but I found a crack in the rear mudguard, it is more than four years old. After the aimless wander around Holbeck and through Hunslet, oh! An electric bike passed me just along there. Can understand the attraction of them. Especially on the climb up to John O’ Gaunts that came next. After the puffing and panting is the ride through Woodlesford and down past its station. Cross the two waterways then more heavy breathing through Swillington. There was a post office van in the car park of what was once a pub. Nowt unusual except on the side were the words ‘Post Brenhinol’ which I guess means it comes from Wales. That’s a long way lost.
The drop to the roundabout outside Garforth is next, followed by the rising road around the northern side of the town. Cross the railway lines, why do those bridges have to be so steep? And follow the road out of town and across the motorway on yet another roundabout. A rather large one. Take the exit for Lotherton, realising that this is a well travelled route when I recognised the tyre tracks. So, for a small change, once the gates were reached I rode straight on. Been a while since I used this bit of road.

There is a right turn just after the end of the video, I happily went that way and found the approach to Saxton was a bit steeper than I remembered. Once in the very tidy village another right turn eventually reaches Coldhill Lane which gently meanders and climbs to a ‘T’ junction overlooking Coldhill Farm. Ah well, right again and back to those gates. The well known road to Aberford, turn left off the Main Street onto Cattle Lane and the lumpy way to Barwick in Elmet. The only way really. Through Scholes, then the quick left and right to Thorner Lane. The roadworks on Skeltons Lane are now closer to the junction with Coal Road, so the traffic lights are redder longer. After a while, reach the A58 for the big downhill of the day, and wend my way to Crown Point Bridge to cross the river and reach home. Thirty three miles, and a smile, I enjoyed that ride.

And a map

17102019.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I rather foolishly missed a chance to get out in the sunshine early yesterday thinking I'd have time later on. As it turned out I didn't, so today I made sure of not repeating the mistake and headed to do one of my regular routes: Condover, Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell and back the shorter way through Condover again.

It was nice and sunny but the cool air and brisk wind reminded me we're well into autumn now. I used the Hawk for convenience (and because I've only just cleaned the Raleigh after the mudbath on Saturday).

The flood at the top of Lyth Hill is as deep as ever and I was just dipping a pedal into the water on each turn - this is getting silly now as the drainage hasn't been cleared for at least 18 months.

After dropping down the other side I changed direction in Condover and now had the wind helping for the next few miles. Slightly unimpressed by a van driver who barged through a narrow section even though there was a passing place he could have waited in.

I had a good run on quiet roads through Cross Houses to Atcham after that and took the scenic route through Attingham Park before rejoining the road to Upton Magna, I passed the same couple of chaps at the side of the road three times along here as they were removing signage from an event. A change of route took me along a lane that bypasses Withington - nice to use a different lane but it was a bit muddy.

The headwind wasn't a lot of fun on the way to Uppington and Rushton. I took another alternative lane along the edge of Charlton Hill which gave some nice views. I'd expected to have it pretty much to myself but encountered a cycling club coming the other way.

There are three climbs between Cressage and Acton Burnell which were a bit of a plod using this bike but I got some good speed up on the way to Pitchford and Cantlop when the wind and gradient were in my favour.

Just over 35 miles this time at 13.7 mph average.

The Wrekin is just a hump in the cloud early on in the ride.

Crossing the railway just outside Upton Magna.

A better view of The Wrekin later on at Charlton Hill

Jenkins

Legendary Member
With a weather forecast of a stiff breeze and no rain showers until late afternoon, I decided to get out and continue the challenge I've set myself of at least one 50k, 100k and 50 mile ride per month (having altready completed the 50k). There was no route planned, just get to the other side of Ipswich, mess around in some lanes and head back again.

Having done the usual Levington & Nacton run into Ipswich, it was then out to Sproughton and Burstall and the lanes around Flowton, Somersham, Nettlestead and Baylham where I discovered why I never use these on planned rides...
P1000174.JPG

And this was one of the better ones, with others adding potholes, wet leaves, mud and thicker grass growths down the centre!
After Baylham, it was the familiar (and much better condition) roads to the west & north of Ipswich until I got to Rushmere St. Andrew where it turned out that the weather forecast was only 50% accurate and a heafty shower hit, but cleared through quite quickly
P1000177.JPG

Further light showers followed and messing around taking the least direct route home gave me a total distance of just under 63 miles for the 100k, so that just leave the 50 mile ride to do.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2798227831
Screenshot_2019-10-18 Just one dry day Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-10-18 Just one dry day Ride Strava(1).png

From memories living there (I left in 1983) you're right, although our local pit was already closed, so the kindergarten, school, and even the fish shop was gone. The only places open were the pub and the working men's club, whose customers would roll out at about midnight and wander along the road, meeting with uncanny regularity just in front of our house. They were no trouble, except as an obstruction to traffic.

Then the year after we moved the miners voted assuming things couldn't get any worse and it turned out they were wrong.

A lesson for us all...
Agree but time shouldn't soften what SHE did to working people 30 odd years ago. It won't be forgotten in a hurry.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
1.5 hours on the ebike, trying not to use assistance wherever possible, along country lanes, tracks and trails, no rush, no great aim.
Sightings included..
Probable large buzzard being mobbed by crows, a sparrow hawk mobbed by crows, a bull finch, green woodpecker, Jay and loads of other stuff. Tracks alongside the river Nene were wet and sloppy with lots of tree roots but good fun. River is full and pushing a lot of water through from Northants...

Picking and eating blackberries along the way, yellow wing roots on flies in the photo, never saw that before.

Trail alongside the Nene..

Lots of fungi around, in the woods, mushrooms etc on grassland, some tall poisonous ones, it's all happening out there.

Attachments

• 20191019_122422.jpg
    20191019_122422.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191019_122817.jpg
    20191019_122817.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 1

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H, Rich B and me today. We set out for Newent but at Hethelpit Cross decided to go to the nearby cafe at Staunton. The CTC gang were already in there on John B's ride. Good to have a chat with them all. We had just missed the Worcs St Johns club too.
On picking up his bike Rich discovered a flat tyre. Two thorns were the culprits. We opted to go over Wickridge Street and up the Hams. Floods were about. Then further on we crossed Longdon Marsh which was also flooded. The other 2 headed back to Upton while I took my standard dodge for home. Nice lovely sunny day after some horrid wet weather recently. 53 smiles

Top Bottom