Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A lovely club ride today. Six social riders and two intermediates set off together on an anti-clockwise loop around to Stroud and Painswick. The inters went their own way, but we came together a couple of times on the way, including for the café stop at the Malthouse near Stroud. Three big hills today .... from Kings Stanley up to Selsley via Middleyard, then a previously untried side route into Painswick from the Bull's Cross direction that was really leg sapping, and came out onto the main road by the car park in the middle of Painswick. That was immediately followed by the gentler but much longer climb up through Painswick to Painswick Beacon. At last a huge downhill followed, as we swept down Upton Hill back into the outskirts of Gloucester. One of those days when it was sunshine all the way, but everywhere we went it seemed to have just stopped raining. Nice when that happens, though the bikes are going to need a good clean after some of those huge puddles we rode through. 39.5 miles for me today. Nice to see the services at the war memorials at Kings Stanley and Selsley so well attended. We pulled over in Stroud for a couple of minutes' silence at 11.00. Felt like the right thing to do.
Cheers, Donger.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Managed to sneak in another 50 k ride today - a three-pronged spoke out from Ipswich to parts North and East. Wonderful cycling weather. This at Playford.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on the Cube, a sunny day.
Through Yealmpton and up to Westlake, then down to Ermington. Then it was up the ridge road to Ugborough before heading to California Cross. A pasty at the garage, then on to Loddiswell.
I then went from Churchstow down the massive hill to Aveton Gifford. I had a massive speed wobble.... I did poo my pants!!!
To calm my nerves I went along the tidal road, then the very stiff climb to Bigbury. 24% in places!

Home via Modbury and Yealmpton.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2855129327

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I woke up early this morning so decided to get my arse out of bed and on to the bike. My partner was working today so no point just lounging around home being lazy. After yesterday's persistent all day rain, the predicted weather report was much kinder for today. Though I was out of the door at 7am to a very fine mizzle, it didn't stay around for long and soon cleared away leaving patchy cloud with blue skies peeking through. And thankfully it wasn't cold.
I had no route in mind so decided to follow my nose and do some old favourite roads. So decided to do a Surrey and Kent loop with a mix of quick main roads and country lanes. With the cloud clearing as the day wore on, it turned out to be very pleasant indeed. Even the wind gods decided to play nice.
So, a nice 100 miler for the day. Nice to see a lot of other cyclists out there getting some miles in too.
I'll name this ride the Mucky Roads, Mucky Bike and Mucky human one. yesterday's rain left a lot of muck on the roads and lanes. Thank gawd for mudguards.

Imperial Century #22 for the year.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Made the most of the nice weather today and went for an 18 miles ride . 5 minutes into the ride, I realised I forgot my water bottle but decided to carry on as I am sure I won't dehydrate in such a short ride. I stopped in Pensarn for a bar if chocolate and met this guy who was warming his hands as he had forgotten his gloves and came from Mostyn, about 20 miles away. We had a good chat about cycling and went on our ways. He was riding a down tube gears bike which he bought when he started cycling a few years ago. He is now 64 and said he preferred this bike to an all carbon £2000 one he also has. Anyway Brian, if you are on this site, it was good to meet you.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It was minus four overnight and the forecast today was clear skies and highs of 6 degrees. Perfect weather to hit the local forest trails and go exploring somewhere new. I started of on familiar roads and trails as I wound my way steadily North and then East, in the shade of the forest it was still struggling to go above freezing but the sun was shining through the canopy and creating the most amazing light. Before long I turned away from the familiar and headed out onto unknown forest tracks, churned up and muddy from the rain in the preceding days. The ride continued to wind it's way up through the forest only occasionally giving way to quiet country lanes, then we came at last to Hermannsburg, the Northerly most point of the ride. I then swung back South through a succession of muddy tracks and occasional sections of road to create a large lazy figure of eight back home. Overall it was 70.4 kilometres of mostly off road riding, discovery yet more new areas of forest on my doorstep and having a great time doing so.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
As I was leaving over the common I spied Mark L. He hasn't been seen on a ride for quite a long time. We had a catch up as we rode for Upton. Floods still. Margaret PR, Jules H and John G were waiting. We took to the Strensham run and dodged by Defford. The Avon was in flood but the Bridge was still available to us. A Rememberance service was taking place at the cross in Eckington so we stopped to pay our respects to our brave servicemen and women. Great Comberton signalled our turn for Pershore and the cafe.
Mark had parted earlier so after us 4 had chatted we turned off Rebecca Road for the Stonehall dodge. Margaret peeled off at the turn and at Stonehall John headed for Worcester. Jules and I finally parted at the bottom of Kinnersley Bank leaving me to climb solo and return by Tunnel Hill to avoid that flood. Lovely sunny day after the gloom of all that rain. 46 smiles

Mike_P

Guru
I had shortened the new chain on the Defy in the hope that would stop the slipping on the smallest cog so this afternoon around the Staveley loop in the opposite direction to a couple of weeks ago. Heading down to the A59 was slightly wary of whether a car coming out of a side road was going to stop, it did eventually.

The largely bridleway section of Bilton Lane was busy, largely walkers and runners and the start of the Beryl Burton cycleway had a big sign warning of runners so back to the A59 for the descent to High Bridge over the Nidd at Knaresborough. By now I had worked out the chain was better as it was not slipping at much but looks like an investment in a new cassette is needed:sad:

Had my new 25% discounted ^_^blue Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (offer at various suppliers at the moment along with pink ones) on the "cockpit" in place of the increasingly unreliable Garmin Edge 500 - it failed to record the ride a fortnight ago, and not for the first time, despite seemingly working okay during the ride :cursing:. The Wahoo seemed have great pleasure in indicating I was going slower than average on up grades - where is the setting to say I've got an extra kilo of kit on; base layer and jacket in addition to jersey, thick bib longs, overshoes, full finger gloves and head warmer under the helmet

A set of TTLs on the way out of Knaresborough lead to another uncertain moment with a car - was it going to overtake on the approach to them, yes, no, no, yes. Onto Farnham and then Staveley was very quite, no other cyclists to be seen. Continued to Arkendale encountering a slight half road width flooding and back west to Ferrensby where a wet road surface awaited to clean the tyres. Stopped for a snack by the duck pond and was greeted by two cyclists passing by, further west at Farnham there was a entire group.

Was of a mind to do the Brearton Lane End / Nidd loop to Ripley, always done in the other direction but approaching Scotton it started to rain so usual direct route to Ripley along the B6165; obviously the rain had annoyed me enough that despite the extra kilo of kit I got a PR on the sector through the village and up to the B road

Normal fast route home from Ripley; A61 B6161 and A59 became slightly puzzling as the explanation for various road works signs round the wider locality came into view. The eastbound A59 was pushed into the right turn lane I wanted and the right turn was banned, they are making the junction a roundabout to cater for the houses growing in the adjacent field. The cones prohibiting the right turn were however easily passed between:whistle:

Almost a dog shaped ride

I had my phone also on Strava and that says 22.28 miles and 1216 ft climbed at 13.8mph average while the Strava from the Wahoo says 0.19 miles less (presumably due to start delays) but 73ft extra climbed and 0.1mph slower; Komoot seems to have the same distance and speed data from the Wahoo but that has 1225 ft climbed.

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
Sunday 10 November

It had been a very late night or perhaps an early morning by the time the wine ran dry. The sun glared through the curtains, the clock was already racing towards mid day. Madame Crow has borrowed an e-bike as part of her relentless quest to find an easier way to cycle with me and we must get up and go out, but only after some cups of tea.

It has to be a short ride, as tomorrow morning before daylight we go to Los Islas Canaris in search of warmth. First though, testing the e-bike. It is a proper sit up and beg, weighs 26kg and Madame dresses appropriately for such a stately vehicle with a bright yellow vest and long flapping trousers.

So began our comedy ride out of Truro and down the long hill to Tresillian. Madame rode in great style, upright, gazing about her proprietorially and with not a question about hills or the length of the ride and I followed in her considerable wake, in my lycra and drop bars. It is slower than I thought. I begin to feel the familiar frustration as I brake continuously to avoid rear ending her bike.

But then.... a small hill and the distance between suddenly grows. I change down a gear, begin to puff, catch up again and overtake on the flat that follows. Madame dwindles to a small yellow dot behind me. Another hill, steeper and longer and halfway up as I grind my way relentlessly upwards in a paroxysm of asthmatic wheezes and lactic fire, a yellow clad, upright Madame passes greeting me with a nonchalant sentence that drops from her lips without even the slightest gasp or gulp for air. She waits for me at the top and then as I arrive sweating, floundering and suffering from oxygen deprivation she smiles sweetly and starts off again.

Revenge is mine on the next long down hill and I leave her far behind. But now on the final hill back into Truro I am passed again. I look later to find I have a new Strava PB on that hill and I am still left dwindling in her wake.

In the afternoon we visit Clive Mitchell's Emporium of Temptation and there is a carbon fibre, Ultegra equipped, electric road bike with a 40% saving on RRP. It weighs under 14kg with the battery and motor and they can be removed to leave a sub 10kg road bike. It is at least three levels above my bike, great wheels, a beautiful bike. I am admiring it when Madame who has the full attention of an employee informs me it is now hers. So I have an e-wife now. We will go e-biking and I will follow her yellow vest around Cornwall until my thighs grow or I give up and become an e-husband, an Electric Crow.

C R

Guru
Sunday ride again. The forecast was for cold and wet in the morning, but when I woke up it was only cold, and a clear sky, so the ride was on.

Full cold weather kit on, and out at ten to seven, because I forgot to find my overshoes last night, so had to go digging for them round the garage. Once they turned up, I was on my way.

The route for today was a variation of the Pershore, Flyford, Hanbury loop. Started up through Norton Barracks, past Norton Church and on through Littleworth. I have noticed that they have started working on the cycling infrastructure to the new Worcester Parkway railway station. So far the infrastructure consists of a dashed line lane painted between the church and the Littleworth turn, I don't know why I expected actual work to be done.

Anyhow, the sun was coming up, and the sky was blue, and my silk glove liners were keeping my hands warm, so I decided I wasn't going to let WCC road department incompetence ruin a beautiful riding day. So past Littleworth, to Wadborough the long way round an follow Besford road to the Rebecca Rd turn. The radio telescope was pointing somewhere to the east

IMG_20191110_071422741_HDR.jpg

After taking the photo, Pershore was the destination. My legs were feeling a bit heavy, and was struggling to keep a good rhythm. I managed to get some speed down to the brook, but the slog up to the top of Pershore was rather hard work.

After Pershore took again a left for Pinvin, again with my legs not wanting to put a lot of effort. I pressed on, and just took it easy. Next destination was Throckmorton, and now the sun was fully out. Stopped for a little rest by the village hall, and this was the sun rising over the hedge across the road.

IMG_20191110_074831514_HDR.jpg

Next way point was Bishampton, and then Flyford Flavell. There was a lot of water on the road, so had to dodge quite a few big puddles. On the other hand, the light made for great views.
IMG_20191110_080234263_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191110_080717563.jpg

After Flyford it was a left turn onto the A422, and then a right for Grafton. I took a bit of a break here, and a photo of the church, St John the Baptist, I think.
IMG_20191110_081941691.jpg

Onward then towards Huddington, and here was the worst of the floods. At one of the puddles I couldn't quite work out how deep it was, and as it was at least 20m long I thought it would be safer to walk along the verge.

Next was Himbleton and Phepson, and then the short climb to the ridge before descending to the Saltway. Now it was left, and swift descent through Hanbury Wharf, before taking a left for Hadzor just before the M5. This was a new lane for me, and it is quite beautiful, if a little steep in places.

IMG_20191110_090026347_HDR.jpg

This lane leads on to Dunhampstead, and from there it is the usual run through Oddingley and Tibberton, past the Hospital, through the County Park, St Peters and home.

Beautiful ride, but my legs seem to want a rest.

The map

IMG_20191110_200404.jpg

gavgav

Guru
After a night in Birmingham, at a Kodaline concert, where copious amounts of strong Chieftains IPA and San Miguel were consumed, I was suffering a bit, this morning! I drove back from my Brother’s house, where I’d stayed overnight and decided the best way to clear the head was to get out into the glorious chilly sunshine and enjoy the fresh air.

I was beginning to wish I hadn’t, when after climbing the fairly steep bank out of Hook-a-Gate, I was passed by 4 cars, the third of which, stupid cow in a Silver Ford Fiesta, gave me my closest pass ever experienced. She literally didn’t deviate at all, passed me within about an inch and the vacuum she created sucked me towards her as well. It was so close that she didn’t have to deviate back in, once she’d passed me, carrying on along the same track, which was well inside the white line :cursing:. I was absolutely fuming, gave her some choice hand gestures and I hoped I’d find her parked up in the next village, Annscroft, so that I could give her what for and it wouldn’t have been polite, but no such luck. Thankfully the rest of the traffic on the ride behaved themselves.

It took me a good few miles before I’d calmed down and the lanes as far as dads house were a bit of a blur. I chatted to dad for half an hour and set back out through Ryton, Condover and along Lyons Lane, where I passed a chap on a bike, who rather bizarrely was freewheeling down a hill, with his feet dragging on the floor, almost standing, wearing large headphones and shouting random things at the top of his voice :wacko:

Arrived back home with my head cleared of the hangover symptoms, but not really the chilled ride I was looking for.

14.8 miles at 12.4mph avg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A bright and sunny day in this corner of Suffolk, perfect for a ride so I cleaned the Spa up a bit after Thursday's commute in a downpour and finally got out around 11am. I'd mapped out a trip to Framlingham and back in my head, but not loaded anything onto the Garmin as it mostly involved roads I knew.

The first part was a variation of the regular route through Kirton, Newbourne, Waldringfield and Martlesham into Woodbridge, doing nothing much but enjoying the colours of the trees in thie late autumn sunshine
Waldringfield Road.JPG

From Woodbridge it was a straight run up through Melton and Ufford into Wickham Market and Hacheston before turning off at Parham
River Ore, Parham.JPG

and the back road to Great Glenham and then across to Framlingham. This is where my internal GPS malfunctioned and I completely missed the turning by about a mile and ended up at Kettleburgh (where I wanted to go) by taking a single track lane out to Earl Soham and then back via Brandeston. No great hardship, escpecially as it involved more of this sort of thing.
Towards Earl Soham.JPG

Yet another missed turning meant that I ended up going via Easton to Dallinghoo instead of the planned Charfield route
Easton Wall.JPG

and this brought me out on the familiar Hasketon and Little Bealings roads, although I normaly ride them in the other direction. An easy ride home from there saw me ending up with a total of 64 miles and continuing the 100k per month streak.
Screenshot_2019-11-10 Autumn Colours Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-11-10 Autumn Colours Ride Strava(1).png

Top Bottom