Your ride today....

Jenkins

Guru
Today I changed age range tick boxes on some forms, so what better way to celebrate than with a ride. Overnight rain dictated the choice of a mudguarded bike and I'd initially planned to use a known route out to Manningtree and the Dedham Vale area with the wind direction. This started out OK with the normal run up to Ipswich through Levington & Nacton and then turning down the other side of the River Orwell, under the Orwell Bridge...
Orwell Bridge (1).jpg

and up to Freston where I was greeted with a road closure changing my plans. Changing destination, I carried on down alongside the river to Shotley where I found the side road that took me to what was left of HMS Ganges - I used to be able to see this from my bedroom on the other side of the river and most people of a certain age will remember John Noakes climbing the mast on Blue Peter (it doesn't appear to be on Youtube, but this gives an idea of what was involved)

Unfortunately it's been left to decay badly while arguments about planning permission for the site and who pays for the restoration continue
HMS Ganges (2).jpg

After another quick stop to look across at Felixstowe Port from the other side
Felixstowe from Shotley.jpg

it was back inland along the other side of the peninsular that roughly follows the River Stour through Harkstead, Stutton to Brantham and then up to East Bergholt, under the A12 and finally a bit of a tail wind for the run from Raydon to Hintlesham, Sproughton & Bramford where the sundial was running about 25 minutes fast
Bramford Sundial.jpg
Once I got to around about here, I started thinking that instead of the metric 100 I was aiming for, why not extend it to the equivalent of 2km for every year I was celebrating - rough calculations suggested that 110km was about 69 miles so instead of heading towards the outskirts of Ipswich, I carried on out to Claydon and then back via the old Norwich Road to Westerfield, an unplanned stop to change inner tubes at Rushmere St. Andrew (my first of the year), then the usual Bucklesham Road run to home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3082743649
Screenshot_2020-02-08 Birthday Bimble Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-02-08 Birthday Bimble Ride Strava(1).png

Last edited:

AndreaJ

It was another lovely morning in Shropshire with the wind predicted to pick up from this afternoon so decided on a route to avoid the main roads as much as possible as there seems to be a lot of muppets in cars lately. I set off to Whixall with the breeze helping me along and turned to Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood, Blackloe, Alkington, Tilstock, back to Whixall where I retraced my tracks for half a mile before turning up Goblins Lane, Stanleygreen, Lower Houses, Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Paddolgreen, , Horton, Loppington as I turned towards Lyneal there were a line of cars going down a normally quite lane with more following me which I thought was a bit strange then we caught up with the rest of the local hunt and I was in the long line of hunt followers in cars. They all came to a halt while they waited for the hounds to pick the scent back up and a nice lady in a land rover stuck her head out of the window and asked them all to move over so I could pass, the hounds were just setting off again across the fields when I got to the front and could carry on to Lyneal and Welshampton back to Northwood,passing the hunt followers again, Wolverley and home. 33.29 miles at 15.4mph despite the pedestrian pace of the North Shropshire hunt. The wind is really picking up now and I don’t think I will be riding in it tomorrow.

Glow worm

Guru
Back in north west Norfolk for a few days after a sublime moonlit night ride here on Thursday night.

I'm lucky the vast Holkham estate is on my doorstep here - this is the Triumphal Arch

Then on toward the obelisk.

And Looking back the other way.

Holkham Hall.

I went on to walk along the beach, enjoying a coffee at the newish cafe there first. It overlooks the marsh and scrapes so you can do your birdwatching in comfort. On the way back I stopped to say hello to an old pal and his dog, which I always pat on the head for some reason!
Just a nice easy 14 miler here today.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I am currently on a long run of consecutive days cycling (707) and today I thought storm Ciara would break it . Even Im not completely mad :crazy: 50 mph winds are not for cycling in. Spent the day weather watching and checking the weather app looking for a window of opportunity. Well after an biblical rain storm at 14.00 the weather seemed to ease . By 15.00 I thought this as good as its going to get. Out the door, my minimum ride distance is 10 miles so that's the target . The sun is breaking through . Out to Swithland dodging lots of debris on the road . A 20mph average to Swithland meant one thing a headwind home !!. Came across a large tree down completely blocking a road in Rothley thankfully the path was clear so no hold up . Slow grind home into the headwind . 11 miles done and the run continues . Strangely the ride finished in glorious sunshine unbelievable ! . Yes it was windy but it seemed fairly constant with no big gusts so not as bad as feared

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Today I changed age range tick boxes on some forms, so what better way to celebrate than with a ride. Overnight rain dictated the choice of a mudguarded bike and I'd initially planned to use a known route out to Manningtree and the Dedham Vale area with the wind direction. This started out OK with the normal run up to Ipswich through Levington & Nacton and then turning down the other side of the River Orwell, under the Orwell Bridge...
View attachment 503805
and up to Freston where I was greeted with a road closure changing my plans. Changing destination, I carried on down alongside the river to Shotley where I found the side road that took me to what was left of HMS Ganges - I used to be able to see this from my bedroom on the other side of the river and most people of a certain age will remember John Noakes climbing the mast on Blue Peter (it doesn't appear to be on Youtube, but this gives an idea of what was involved)

Unfortunately it's been left to decay badly while arguments about planning permission for the site and who pays for the restoration continue
View attachment 503807
After another quick stop to look across at Felixstowe Port from the other side
View attachment 503808
it was back inland along the other side of the peninsular that roughly follows the River Stour through Harkstead, Stutton to Brantham and then up to East Bergholt, under the A12 and finally a bit of a tail wind for the run from Raydon to Hintlesham, Sproughton & Bramford where the sundial was running about 25 minutes fast
View attachment 503810Once I got to around about here, I started thinking that instead of the metric 100 I was aiming for, why not extend it to the equivalent of 2km for every year I was celebrating - rough calculations suggested that 110km was about 69 miles so instead of heading towards the outskirts of Ipswich, I carried on out to Claydon and then back via the old Norwich Road to Westerfield, an unplanned stop to change inner tubes at Rushmere St. Andrew (my first of the year), then the usual Bucklesham Road run to home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3082743649
View attachment 503811View attachment 503812
That was a good ride. We used to live in Shotley, only for about 18 months. They were always talking about building on the HMS Ganges site, not sure if they did start. The Police used it for several years after the RN moved out. I did a triathlon from there many moons ago, starting with a 1/2 mile swim in the pool before the cycle down to The Strand and back. The run was a 10k around Ganges.
When you were at Shotley you must have felt so close to home but yet........so far

Last edited:

ianbarton

It was another lovely morning in Shropshire with the wind predicted to pick up from this afternoon so decided on a route to avoid the main roads as much as possible as there seems to be a lot of muppets in cars lately. I set off to Whixall with the breeze helping
That's part of one of my regular routes, although I am a bit further north. I often call in at the Wem library cafe for cake and coffee.

Jenkins

Guru
That was a good ride. We used to live in Shotley, only for about 18 months. They were always talking about building on the HMS Ganges site, not sure if they did start. The Police used it for several years after the RN moved out. I did a triathlon from there many moons ago, starting with a 1/2 mile swim in the pool before the cycle down to The Strand and back. The run was a 10k around Ganges.
When you were at Shotley used must have felt so close to home but yet........so far
No building has been started there at all - it's still surrounded by security fencing as the last I read they were arguing about access, social housing provision & restoration of the mast (all the usuals). As for close to home, it's 23 miles by road, but only a couple of miles from home as the bird flies. It's the same if I go round to Bawdsey which is just the other side of the Deben.

AndreaJ

As the weather forecast for today was for hail showers and 40mph winds I wasn’t expecting to get out but after walking the dogs in bright sunshine and a bit of wind I decided they were wrong and went out. It was raining a bit but I don’t mind rain as much as wind so just a quick ride round Whixall and I could give up and head home if the wind started up again. I set off to Whixall and through to Alkington where I turned back to Blackloe and the rain turned to sleet I carried on hoping it would stop and I was heading back in the general direction of home. Through several large cold floods back to Hollinswood and the sleet turned to snow, the sort of snow which sticks to the roads and anyone daft enough to be riding a bike in it, after 10 minutes it was obviously not going to stop soon and was getting worse so I decided on the quickest route home through Braynes Hall, Waterloo, Northwood and home . 16.6 miles @15.3mph. The lane outside my house when I got home.
B0BA1040-2C6B-4D51-A8F7-E0285F8C20C4.jpeg

Top Bottom