Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yesterday I put new wheels, deralieur jockey wheels and brakes on my Cube. I gave it a good clean.
so today I went and got it dirty!

Dartmouth via Ugborough and Morleigh. It’s a way I travel a lot for work. It’s a bit hilly on a bike!

From Dartmouth up to Stoke Fleming and Strete. Along Slapton sands and Ley, Kingsbridge, Modbury and home. 56 miles, my longest in ages. Hilliest too!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3249880158

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A longer ride this afternoon on a variation of a route I did earlier in the week: Condover, Cantlop, Acton Burnell, Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Cross Houses, Berrington, King Street. Condover and back.

Plenty of vehicles at the shops when I passed by, but there seemed not to be quite as many people walking and the roads seemed quieter than the last few times I've been out. I had a bit of help from the wind on the way through Condover to Cantlop then an obstacle from some mobile works that were going on at the side of the road. I got waved through but with a JCB blocking the carriageway I doubt that I was 6 feet from the workmen.

After joining the Acton Burnell road I could see another cyclist ahead and slowly reeled them in over the next mile or so. My chance to overtake came at the sharp dip just before Pitchford where I sprinted past at the bottom of the valley and breezed up the climb the other side at a rate which surprised me, cresting the bank at 14 mph, which would be pretty good going on any of my bikes let alone the Hawk. I don't know if it was the timing of the sprint or if I just picked up a helping tailwind at the right moment.

The gentle climb through Pitchford and on to Acton Burnell brough reality back as I settled down to my more usual 11 mph. I didn't see the other cyclist again though.

Heading through Acton Burnell and Cound Moor was pretty quiet. I cut the corner heading to Harnage, had the road completely to myself as far as Cound and noticed that the house with the flag pole was flying a Yorkshire county flag today.

Few cars on the A458 so I stayed on it to Cross Houses again, then I had to start working against the wind as I turned back towards Condover.

I'd only seen about five cyclists on the trip so far (plus a bike leaned against a hedge near Harnage with no sign of a rider) but after getting back to Condover I passed a few riders heading the other way and was catching one ahead, meaning that the final tally ended up at about 14.

20.5 miles this time at 13.9 mph average.

Edit: I forgot to mention having to avoid the youngster walking a labrador who got dragged out into the road in front of me on the way out through Condover. Good job I wasn't in a car.:rolleyes:

Near Acton Burnell, the swans are still quite at home in the steadily shrinking pool left over from the wet winter.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Yesterday I put new wheels, deralieur jockey wheels and brakes on my Cube. I gave it a good clean.

Dartmouth via Ugborough and Morleigh. It’s a way I travel a lot for work. It’s a bit hilly on a bike!

From Dartmouth up to Stoke Fleming and Strete. Along Slapton sands and Ley, Kingsbridge, Modbury and home. 56 miles, my longest in ages. Hilliest too!

View attachment 512364

View attachment 512365

View attachment 512366

View attachment 512367

View attachment 512368

View attachment 512369

View attachment 512370

View attachment 512371

View attachment 512372

View attachment 512373
Lovely pics, thanks :okay:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

View attachment 512364

View attachment 512365

View attachment 512366

View attachment 512367

View attachment 512368

View attachment 512369

View attachment 512370

View attachment 512371

View attachment 512372

View attachment 512373
Man, Slapton sands - I thought I recognised that tank. Last time I saw that was on a family holiday probably about 30yrs ago :smile:

So.. my drive to rest isn't going so well. Yesterday I popped a mile down the road to the clothes bank on the Ofo for my sanctioned exercise and got rid of a few old rags.

Of course it couldn't stop there and I ended up cruising around the largely deserted streets of Oxford as the sun set, with some nice, slightly post-apocalyptic tunes on. Also took the opportunity to float around the absolutely desolate Westgate centre on the bike, which reminded me of some of the scenes from the original Dawn of the Dead :becool:

Today I took the "borrowed time" road bike down to the local pop-up grocers to get some food for the old dear. I chose to take the old road bike since it's geared a lot lower than the Ofo so is easier on my knackered legs (especially coming back up the hill), plus as sad as I'll be to see it finally go after 16yrs, the sooner the cracked frame finally reaches a point I can no longer safely ride it, the sooner I can justify writing it off; stripping it and freeing up some space in the kitchen for the new bike - as four would be totally unworkable and well beyond the Mrs' tolerance..

I ended up coming back home again to get some egg boxes since they were selling trays of 30 but this was a totally unworkable format on the bike, so they got re-boxed on the counter to go in the rucksack. I hate binning stuff and I'm glad I only put the boxes in the recycling and didn't break them down :smile:

Back home, after unloading all the shopping and legs a little warmed up, I figured it was too nice outside not to capitalise on it so went out on the Boardman for a bit. Pretty standard loop out of the city Abingdon way then back in through Radley. This time I challenged my "benchmark" hill, spinning my way to the top slowly and in a reasonably presentable state as I came over the top.

Contrary to my last ride out this way a couple of days ago, neither the wind nor my asthma were as bad and I had a really pleasant, pretty quick ride; pushed on by a cracking old skool mix found on my mp3 player :smile:

Coming through Kennington I did get comprehensively blown into the weeds by an old boy on an old steel tourer / road bike - if you're on here fair play - you certainly weren't hanging about!

Back home I'd managed 17.5 miles at 15.9mph; hardly going to set the world alight but a pleasant ride and faster than last time at a lower mean heart rate too :smile:

Last edited:
I've been out out twice this week so far to supplement my daily turbo sessions, Tuesday was a battle of the winds which is the norm here in Windshire today was windy as well but nowhere near as much and unusual for me I stopped to take a couple of pics once i find them i'll upload. Today was a day of dodging game birds intent on taking me out.
I have certainly seen a lot of road kill, mainly pheasants. Perhaps they get complacent with there being less traffic about.

View attachment 512364

View attachment 512365

View attachment 512366

View attachment 512367

View attachment 512368

View attachment 512369

View attachment 512370

View attachment 512371

View attachment 512372

View attachment 512373
Lovely to see those pics, had some great fish and chips at Slapton couple of years back when we stayed in Fowey.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Mrs Donger said it was too chilly to go out for a walk this afternoon. Result! That meant I got an exercise ride for the third day in a row ... in shorts and short-sleeved shirt! Rode out to the canal bridge just beyond Epney and back, never more than 6 miles from home. When nearly home, I decided to add a mile by taking the Pilot Bridge over the canal instead of the Elmore Lane bridge near home. Another bonus 16.2 miles today.
Stay safe. Cheers, Donger.

22.8 miles on a variation of my usual local routes, trying to keep closer to home. 10 degrees so still a bit chilly and 12mph wind so not too bad. A few people on bikes, husband and wife`s I would guess, same goes for most walkers. Although I did see some people chatting who were in two groups ( they were going in different directions until they stopped to chat). They were about 3 feet from each other.
No birds of prey today but I saw goldfinches and green finches and a tit I think, black and white possibly a marsh tit.
Thank you Boris for letting me have another ride, long may it last.

Top Bottom