Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Just a blat out to the Somerset Monument at Hawkesbury this evening, taking advantage of the beautiful sunset. Social distancing was duly observed but the roads around about had been chosen by a fair few cyclists.

My Boris ride today was the same route as Monday but on my Summer (what`s that) bike. Still feeling a bit chilly but well wrapped up. There were a few about walking and some on bikes. I noted the bicycle seemed to be the mode of choice in going to the bakers at Haughley. In the wild west days they would have been horses tethered outside the saloon. As usual a few hare`em scare`em types. I think somebody else noted about the youngsters driving about in BMWs now a days. Perhaps they are getting their granny`s shopping at high speed.
22 miles at 17.4mph average so must not complain. I did manage to wave to george my bike friend at Cotton who was working in his garden. Some nice smiles greeted me today.On the bird front. 3 kestrels and a yellowhammer.
Keep calm and cycle on folks.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A grand total of 4.1 miles today. I had a letter to post, and continued on to @Dark46 's house to return the pedal spanner I'd borrowed from him. Stuck it in his garage for him. Social distancing was possible as his place is like Tracy Island (without the palm trees) .... with remote-controlled garage doors. We chatted briefly, with me in the driveway and him in his bedroom.

Having now installed my new pedals, I was disappointed to find that the crunching/creaking noise had not been cured. I had just about convinced myself it was the seatpost (as it only happened when I was seated in the saddle), when crunch, the chain suddenly came off. This happened twice more in the next mile, before it finally snapped. I opted to push the bike the mile or so home rather than pulling over to fix the chain by the side of a narrow pavement. Not much exercise today, then. Hopefully it was a loose chain link in my new chain all along. Fortunately number two bike has been running smoothly and quietly, and is proving to be an able substitute, so whatever the reason for the break, I'll be good to keep riding.

Stay safe everybody. Donger.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Gazing out of the window while picking the tenacious bits of shell (and correspondingly attached bits off egg) from my probably-older-than-it-should be soft-boiled breakfast earlier, it looked like a decent day for a ride - overcast (but hopefully this meant less cold) and still.

Despite wanting to give my legs a rest I'd not been out on the road bike for a few days so I felt somewhat obliged. My plans for a short, gentle route endorsed by the protests of my quads when starting up the 6%ish hill outside the house; I was glad I wore my fleece since it turned out to be a lot colder than it looked.

Heading West out of the city I really wasn't loving it, but after a mile or two my enthusiasm was buoyed by a smile from an aesthetically-gifted female cyclist coming the other way, followed by a bit of down hill action to take the burden off the legs.

I passed the planned junction that leads to the 7% test hill, electing to take a flatter route around it instead. I looped around the outskirts of Abingdon and back into the city via Radley; the wind offering me various levels of grief on the way. As so often happens (and potentially goaded on by the road bike after several days floating round on the town bike) my effort gradually crept up throughout the ride..

Given the state of the weather I thought I'd give my favourite bit of cycle path a go; which I found to be less populated than previously but probably still not a great idea. Coming back through the city on the tow path I encountered a sign diverting people along a track on the other side of the hedge, in the interest of those in boats moored on the river.

It was a bit of a ballache getting the bike through the gate, along the unsympathetic and jagged track and over the fence but figured it was the right thing to do. This was in stark contrast to the pair of old duffers who just wafted past the signs as if they weren't there.. initially I gave them the benefit of the doubt in case they happened to live on one of the boats, but of course as they approached the diversion sign at the other end it became clear that this wasn't the case. My pointing at the sign and look of incredularity and disgust was granted as much acknowledgement by them as their apparent respect for others. I rode away angry at myself for not pulling them up on it, selfish, self-entitled idiots :angry:

Riled by my new-found anger and not-particularly-pleasant ride I blasted through town and home; incidentally being followed up my hill by one of those Police cars that there absolutely aren't any more of on the roads in this time of crisis.. They clearly recognised my "bike immunity" though and cruised on past me without a word ;)

By the time I'd got into the house I was a bit of a mess; deep gasping breaths thanks to my asthma and red, burning eyes courtesy of the sweat running into them as a result of me daring to stop.

Today's ride was short (16ish miles) and relatively swift by my current standards (15.6mph); carried out mostly in HR zones 3&4 :smile:

I felt better after a shower and the remains of yesterday's salad but can still feel my quads protesting, am quite tired and really will have to give it a rest over the next few days.. on the up-side thrashing myself daily does seem to make getting to sleep early a bit easier!

Last edited:
Cool but satisfying 2 hours south of Birmingham today

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today has been productive. 2 sourdough loaves, 16 yeasted rolls and a slab path laid.
so after that I went out on my Spa. On the way to Puslinch I spotted an old man in a tree...
Through more lanes, farmer Palmer spreading some fine smelling stuff!
Up the A379. I wouldn’t normally at 4 in the afternoon, but today it’s quiet.
lots of buzzards wheeling around.
Home via the coast road..
I’m tired now!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3242635706/segments/2680462748616598398

footloose crow

Über Member
1 April. Snakes and Ladders

Out again - second time this week. We are completely isolated at home, no visitors, shop once a fortnight, can walk for a mile before seeing the next house and so eventually I got bored of looking at the woods opposite where we live and wondered what was going on in the 'real world' beyond the hill.

It turns out it is the same as last time - some cars going much faster, more bikes, more walkers and no warmer. But the wind has dropped - a bit. I saw my first queue outside a shop practicing social distancing. I know, I know...I lead a sheltered life. Madame considers me to be vulnerable so I am banned from shopping. It is my least favourite activity anyway.

This is a nice ride and Madame came with me again. Today she waited for me a lot more often than I waited for her, but her battery was on its last electron by the time she made it to the top of our lane. Luckily it is downhill from there. I think she was experimenting with the 400W power mode. I feel virtuous about my sore legs and overall fatigue. Madame is happy to be have been outside with me and not stuck at the bottom of the first hill.

This is where we went.

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 18.44.43.png

We had to go to the Roseland to see Madame's Dad anyway and check he was alright, as far as we could see through the patio windows. He just likes looking at us in cycling gear - amuses him for the whole day. Once on the Roseland we just continued on a ride, up and down likes snakes and ladders. Up, up up to the top of the hill, have a look at the view, plunge down the other side and end up back at sea level and another up, up, up. The steepest hill was 22%. I wondered if my heart would stop. Or lungs explode. I could see stars.

We cut across every valley and climbed every hill to get to the King Harry Ferry. I was relieved it was still running as I had forgotten to check. From there it is up (inevitably) and then down (again, inevitably) to sea level and along the estuary until you can pick up the B road up the Bissoe valley and then a minor road (Cat 4 hill) to Chacewater. Another hill - the last one- and a fast downhill into Truro. Oh, one more hill. I always forget the last one. Then home before it gets any colder and greyer.

Through the looking glass....and into the magical Roseland ' a peninsula of peninsulas'.

I can get in front on steep downhills. I am trying to save the disc pads on the brakes until new ones arrive in the post.

Up and down......

The ferry would normally be full. Glad it was still operating as the way back home was very hilly (and long) without it.

Unless you are on a bike in which case it is a quid each in the Rescue Heli appeal box and stay away from operating staff (who as usual were super friendly to cyclists).

Turns out that it is now a bicycle ferry! They would have made no money on our trip. Suspect it is making a huge loss at the moment especially with no tourist traffic.

"Park where you like and make a contribution to charity" was all they said to us.

I don't like being photographed.

Without intending to (I had no plan for the ride), we have managed to do a 50k ride on the first day of the month. Who knows where we will be at the end of April but I feel more optimistic today than I did on Monday. Helps if you don't watch the news. It would help lot more if summer arrived early.

Take care everyone.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yes, Hole-in-the-Wall is a place. No usual gang tho' as that's against the social distancing rules. I took a fairly standard run out to Much Marcle admiring the wild daffodils on the way. There is a huge field or two just crammed with them not far from the village. Up and over the Marcle ridge I dropped to turn for the Wye and the bridge at Hole-in-the-Wall. I spoke at distance with a local and got quite cold. That north wind was very chilling. My sandwiches went down before I headed for Rudhall and Bromsash on lanes I don't use very often. At Linton it was time to risk it in the Gorsely triangle. I made it through ending up on the beautifully named Swagwater Lane. The ride through Dymock Woods showed off the wild daffodils nicely. Some parts were better than on my last visit while other patches were past their best. Lovely nonetheless. I headed for Bromsberrow Heath and decided to go by Redmarley D'Abitot. Then on for Pendock and the usual Castlemorton lanes return. Pleasant enough outing if rather cold. Keeping moving was the key. Buzzards, Ravens, Red Legged Partridge with Woodpeckers drumming and calling amongst other of my feathered friends. 60 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Permitted exercise again (I'm trying to get out as often as I can while it's allowed) and I needed a change of scene so headed over Lyth Hill to Exford's Green, Plealey, Pontesbury and back via Habberley, Pulverbatch, Longden, Exford's Green again, Hunger Hill and Lyth Hill.

Lots of people out walking round the village but not many this time on Lyth Hill. There were about 4 cars at the bottom car park and a few people walking in the field that constitutes the park, but at the top it was empty of cars or people.

Dropping down the other side, apart from someone walking at Great Lyth there was nobody outside a motor vehicle until after Plealey when I saw another cyclist. Pontesbury had a few people out for a stroll then I had the road pretty much to myself through Habberley to Pulverbatch and another couple of cyclists.

From Pulverbatch to Longden Common then Longden is mostly downhill and I coud get some good speeds up. On the fastest part of the descent I had a car following. They missed a chance to overtake on one of the straights and seemed to be setting themselves up to go past when we reached Longden Common. As we swept into the last corner before the village I could look over the hedge and see the tractor coming the other way. The driver didn't see it and I heard a brief squeak of tyres followed by a long blast on the horn from one of the vehicles (not sure which). I got a decent overtake from the car when it finally did come past (setting off the speed limit sign while they did so).

After Longden and retracing my steps towards Exford's Green I had a decent tailwind so got along nicely. In these circumstances I'd usually press on to see how fast I could go into the dip at Westley but I thought better of pushing my limits today - 30 was plenty.

Recrossing Lyth Hill via Little Lyth there were only two cars left at the Country Park. Rare to see it that quiet during daylight hours.

19.75 miles at 12.2 mph average. Just five cyclists this time and hardly any walkers outside villages. I picked the right route for social distancing.

Edit to add that I notice this ride takes me over 1,000 miles for the year to date.^_^

The classic view from the top of Lyth Hill.

A spot on the Habberley to Pulverbatch road that just has a certain something.

The view at Lawn Farm

Pulverbatch.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
1 April. Snakes and Ladders

Out again - second time this week. We are completely isolated at home, no visitors, shop once a fortnight, can walk for a mile before seeing the next house and so eventually I got bored of looking at the woods opposite where we live and wondered what was going on in the 'real world' beyond the hill.

It turns out it is the same as last time - some cars going much faster, more bikes, more walkers and no warmer. But the wind has dropped - a bit. I saw my first queue outside a shop practicing social distancing. I know, I know...I lead a sheltered life. Madame considers me to be vulnerable so I am banned from shopping. It is my least favourite activity anyway.

This is a nice ride and Madame came with me again. Today she waited for me a lot more often than I waited for her, but her battery was on its last electron by the time she made it to the top of our lane. Luckily it is downhill from there. I think she was experimenting with the 400W power mode. I feel virtuous about my sore legs and overall fatigue. Madame is happy to be have been outside with me and not stuck at the bottom of the first hill.

This is where we went.

View attachment 511913

We had to go to the Roseland to see Madame's Dad anyway and check he was alright, as far as we could see through the patio windows. He just likes looking at us in cycling gear - amuses him for the whole day. Once on the Roseland we just continued on a ride, up and down likes snakes and ladders. Up, up up to the top of the hill, have a look at the view, plunge down the other side and end up back at sea level and another up, up, up. The steepest hill was 22%. I wondered if my heart would stop. Or lungs explode. I could see stars.

We cut across every valley and climbed every hill to get to the King Harry Ferry. I was relieved it was still running as I had forgotten to check. From there it is up (inevitably) and then down (again, inevitably) to sea level and along the estuary until you can pick up the B road up the Bissoe valley and then a minor road (Cat 4 hill) to Chacewater. Another hill - the last one- and a fast downhill into Truro. Oh, one more hill. I always forget the last one. Then home before it gets any colder and greyer.

View attachment 511932
Through the looking glass....and into the magical Roseland ' a peninsula of peninsulas'.

View attachment 511933
I can get in front on steep downhills. I am trying to save the disc pads on the brakes until new ones arrive in the post.

View attachment 511935
Up and down......

View attachment 511936
The ferry would normally be full. Glad it was still operating as the way back home was very hilly (and long) without it.

View attachment 511937
Unless you are on a bike in which case it is a quid each in the Rescue Heli appeal box and stay away from operating staff (who as usual were super friendly to cyclists).

View attachment 511938
Turns out that it is now a bicycle ferry! They would have made no money on our trip. Suspect it is making a huge loss at the moment especially with no tourist traffic.

View attachment 511939
"Park where you like and make a contribution to charity" was all they said to us.

View attachment 511940
I don't like being photographed.

Without intending to (I had no plan for the ride), we have managed to do a 50k ride on the first day of the month. Who knows where we will be at the end of April but I feel more optimistic today than I did on Monday. Helps if you don't watch the news. It would help lot more if summer arrived early.

Take care everyone.

I stayed in lovely little glamping pod by that ferry last winter with my wife and dog.

Anyway, my ride today was in my living room for a club turbo session via zoom. I would have preferred yours to be honest

Boris ride on the Scott, and to test the new Crivit rechargeable light set in the Grenofen tunnel. They were fine!
Quite a lot of walkers about, took a bit off my speed here and there dodging them. Not that I was going that fast...
I cannot wait to get this converted back to drops, it was such a joy to ride it today.
Out on NCN270/27 to the ramp at Leg O'Mutton, and back.
11.31 miles, 7.8mph avg, 1010ft up-ness.
^_^

Top Bottom