Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was miserable over the first two miles. Cold, cold north wind and some rain came on. I nearly turned back. But it improved quite quickly so I kept on. Around the end of the Hills the wind was helping if anything but the shelter of the hedges is always welcome. I took to the lane for Coddington and Peg's Farm. Then up and over Wellington Heath before another miserable shower from which a tree gave me shelter. On around the southern end of the Hills took me to the turn north and a battle with the wind. The roads are very quiet although some seem to think that permits speeding excessively. Good numbers of walkers out tho' and perhaps more than usual numbers on bikes. 42 smiles

colly

Re member eR
Another afternoon and another ride. :smile::smile::smile:

I opted for fixed wheel, for a change, and almost immediately was having thoughts along the lines of......'this is hard work'.
I stuck with it and after dropping down to the lights at Oakwood I headed across Soldiers Field, part of Roundhay Park.
Uphill, slightly, less than a half mile into the ride, and a block headwind.:sad: It was like turning the cranks with the brakes on. I was gasping and puffing away wondering why on Earth I do this.
Finally I cleared the open space and the wind had less effect and it was then a grind up past Canal Gardens and Tropical World. Out of the saddle and still gasping I turned onto Street lane. Which, while being not quite flat, it felt like it after the previous mile and a half of suffering.
Along here I got into my stride, as it were, and came to terms with the single gear on offer. Moortown Corner came and went and it was Shadwell Lane to Slaid Hill where I turned at The Dexter and took Wigton Lane and Alwoodley Lane to the top of Stair Foot Lane.
Here I turned right on King Lane and the only incident that marred an otherwise perfect ride. More of that later.
Down to 5 lane end and right to go around Eccup Reservoir then back home via Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton and Harehills.
The fixed wheel felt good and reminded me of why I like riding fixed so much. Hard work at times but so smooth and silent, a joy to ride.

Altogether 16 miles and 900ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46426855

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
45 minutes on the turbo trainer for me today even managed to take a phone call ^_^ .

The sun was out for most of the time .

footloose crow

Über Member
30 March. Leapfrogging around Truro's back lanes

We have had two days rest - it's time to leave the house and see the outside world. Madame has decided to come with me again and we are heading NE into the wind for the first part of the ride whilst we are fresh, on another circle around Truro, mainly on back lanes although I think (foolishly as it turns out ) that the B roads will be corona - quiet.

The news continues to be bad but the apocalyptic headlines from Italy, New York and London clash with our day to day experience in Cornwall; it's quiet and calm here, everyone tucked up indoors, village shops closed. No feeling of impending menace. A few families out walking, pushing prams along the lanes, herding children on small bikes, smiling at us and waving as we pass. We try to maintain six feet separation, holding our breath for as long as we can but no one seems too bothered. I guess our turn will come as the infection wave spreads out across the UK.

There seem to be more cars out today - and they are going faster than they used to on the B roads. It feels uncomfortable and we itch to get off them. The back lanes are quiet though and it is with a sense of relief that we leave the busier roads once we turn west. Our nearest brushes with death all afternoon are now to come however - going around blind corners to be met with tractor wheels, towering more than head high, juddering as the brakes are applied. The farmers think they have the lanes to themselves and are startled to see us. Not as startled as me. The wind is blowing the tractor engine noise away from us and we cannot hear them coming.

It seems hillier than I remember and the wind is stiff enough and cold enough to discourage much hanging around. We leapfrog our way around, Madame passing me on the hills with a faint whir of electrons and I pass her on the downhills as she squeezes the brakes, less confident of her abilities. We meet at junctions but it is too cold to say more than a few words. I just want to get this ride done.

The sky starts off bright but quickly clouds over and the afternoon settles into a grey murk. Occasional shafts of sunlight break through briefly illuminating the hills around us. From the middle of the ride we are on the roof of Cornwall, all five hundred feet of it here - just a shed roof - but the views are extensive right across to the north coast where the cold Atlantic blurs the horizon.

A bumpy section of back lane now, the road barely more than a gravel track in places where it passes through farm yards. It is better today than it has been all winter, the mud dried and the tyre tracks either side of the grassy middle are reasonably OK. I tell Madame that I have never seen any other cyclists on this section, that it is my secret lane and almost as soon as I say it we meet a cyclist puffing up the hill in the other direction. And then another. There is a sign saying the lane is closed too.

More hills up and down, snakes and ladders, swopping places with our different paces. Madame looks pointedly at the signs for Truro but I want some more of this, the energy gel I took ten minutes ago seems to be working. We continue dipping across river valleys, cutting across the grain of the land, seeing no one, lost in the countryside.

It has to end. A fast hurtle down Kenwyn Hill into Truro and I can get over 30mph, fast enough for me and too fast for Madame who dwindles into the distance. She catches up with me on the hill back up the other side of Truro. Truro sits in the bottom of a bowl, all routes out of it are up. This hill starts at 10% and slowly declines to 4%, an aerobic challenge to keep going. I hold her off until five yards before the top.

I leave her behind again as we sprint along the lane for home, unsettled by seeing people walking along it. I have never seen anyone walking here before. The world has turned upside down in the last fortnight - everything feels different.

We have managed to spend an afternoon cycling but hardly speaking, meeting at junctions, each in our own world of pain (but mine is worse!). The house is quiet: the cat knows nothing about corona virus. I read that the rate of infection may be slowing down. We sit here waiting for the viral tide to reach us too but hoping like everyone else that we all get to the other side of this.

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 19.45.29.png

Just had a 22 mile Boris ride as I now call them. I had an errand to do, picking up a dozen eggs on my new " text and collect" service thanks to a farm about 3 miles away and then to Bacton via Cotton. The roads were quieter still than Saturday, just a few walking and on bikes, each moving away to give room. Cars are driving harder again and overtaking on corners I noticed because I guess that they have more chance of passing without anyone coming. Bl...dy fools I say. The wind was`nt as bad as my ride on Saturday and a tad milder even though from NNE at 17mph. Return from Bacton was via Haughley Green and Old Newton and Gipping. 774 feet of climbing and felt a good workout. 960 miles the year to date, how much longer can we get out for I wonder ? Stay safe folks.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another shorter ride today trying not to wander too far from home as the guidance as to what is reasonable exercise isn’t very clear not that I expect any police cars in rural North Shropshire stopping lone cyclists in country lanes. Went the opposite way today starting towards The Moatshed, through Horton onto the Ellesmere road , turned to Loppington and added a detour to Nonely then back to Loppington, Lyneal, Welshampton, Bettisfield where I met a couple walking their whippets off leads on a quiet lane ,one of the whippets was a puppy and was very pleased to see a person on a bike he wasn’t keen on social distances so I had to stop rather than risk running it over ,humans all kept the correct distance though, carried on to Northwood past our lane onto Whixall turned onto Goblins Lane, Waterloo, Edstaston, Paddolgreen, Poolhead, Northwood and back home. Quite a few people out again today and usual traffic making it easy to forget all the Coronavirus problems. 24.4 miles @15mph on a cold grey afternoon.

I took the TinyBug out for a ride yesterday, because there's only so much you can do with an energetic five year old in a small attic apartment before either we or the neighbours go slightly potty.

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_04.JPG

Before someone jumps on me, our state Covid-19 guidelines are that you can take as much exercise outdoors as you want, as long as you keep a minimum of two metres away from anyone else:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_05.JPG

I think we achieved this.

The plan was to go along the valley and have a look at an old tramway then ride back across the hills, but then TinyBug decided she wanted to go through the forest, and specifically up an interesting looking path between the trees, so we followed that...

And found an tree to play on:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_06.JPG

And places to hide and chase things:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_07.JPG

So it took a while before we got any further:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_09.JPG

And then we decided that as we were on the other side of the valley, we may as well go and see what was happening at the airport, so we went over the fields on the other side to have a look:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_10.JPG

It turns out there wasn't much. In fact nothing came in or out except a couple of private planes. Even the Autobahn was so quiet we could hear the skylarks over the fields.

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_14a.JPG

When we went back into the valley there was another short delay while we played Poohsticks, (which is totally a thing: s'got a Wikipedia page and everything).

When we'd run out of sticks we went to see the ponies on the other side of the road:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_15.JPG

Then we carried on to the next town and past the, former riding lodge of the kings of Württemberg:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_16.JPG

Before playing hide and seek in a forest than stopping to eat apples on a bench. Also, we saw tractors:

2020_03_30_Körschtal_W_Tinybug_18.JPG

Then we rode back up the hill, through the old US military base and to the apartment in time for lunch. In all, about 3 hours of riding, exploring, climbing and playing: one happy, tired, and hungry Tinybug.

Of course this morning she wants to do it all again...

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A quick blast on the lovely Trek road bike early doors. I didn’t feck about just got the bike and rode the loop, I call it the 10 mile loop but it isn’t. A dry sunny morning, a bit of a cold breeze, but it was nice in the sun.

No photos today because I didn’t want to stop.

Miles: 11.44
Social interaction:0

Chris S

Legendary Member
I went through Cannon Hill Park and along NCN5. There were far more people than usual, restricting exercise seems to be a good way to encourage it. I went home along an empty dual carriageway. A close pass from an HGV and another one pumping out pungent fumes brought me back to reality.

I went through Cannon Hill Park and along NCN5. There were far more people than usual, restricting exercise seems to be a good way to encourage it. I went home along an empty dual carriageway. A close pass from an HGV and another one pumping out pungent fumes brought me back to reality.
One of my regular runs as I live by bournville station. Canal towpath has been quiet all week

Top Bottom