Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
A very pleasant short ride into town today with Mrs Gunk, stopped at a lovely pop up fruit and veg shop on the way home.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Went out on the 'Dog' today, 1st time since July last year !!
I only rode 15 miles (in accordance with Boris's hour-a-day exercise) and apart from being a tad cold at 7am, I had some knob passenger in a van spit at me and yell at me to go home !!

View attachment 511651
What a vile POS that van scumbag is - I hope you got his number and reported him (not that I expect anything to be done).

Also, there's no official cap on the amount of time you're supposed to spend outside ;)

A very pleasant short ride into town today with Mrs Gunk, stopped at a lovely pop up fruit and veg shop on the way home.

View attachment 511707

View attachment 511708

View attachment 511709

Nice - I'm glad to someone's using that shop as all the produce looks great but I'm not big on veg and still have plenty to use before I entertain the idea of any more. Did you notice all the eggs in the window of the shop next door?:shy:

I reckon we must have passed each other in the city over the past few days ;)

Despite the outside looking far more attractive than it did yesterday, tired legs and a tired mind initially resigned me to a day of indoor apathy.

Disappointment at my lack of breakfast pushed another visit to the corner shop to the front of my mind, so I gave them a call to check they were open today and got no answer, which isn't good :rolleyes:

After a bit of brunch I felt a little better and thought a short excursion to exploit the ofo's new-found off-road prowess might perk me up a bit and prevent later regret that I'd wasted a decent day by staying indoors.

I made very slow progress against the wind into town; encountering that many others out exercising that it almost felt like a normal day; which may or may not have been a good thing. Opporunities to get onto Port Meadow were constantly thwarted by busy and restrictive tow paths, so I ended up riding out to Wolvercote and then back into town across the Meadow; which was pleasant with a tail-ish wind and plenty of room to avoid people.

As the ride got easier and the terrain more interesting my enthusiasm rallied and my speed increased. The site of the bright yellow town bike with monster-truck tyres being thrashed along gravel / mud paths eliciting surprise and amusement from many I encountered; a welcome departure from the understandably closed attitude I've seen in others while out recently.

Once back in town I paused to consider my next actions; home didn't seem particularly appealing so I set off along the Electric Railroad, through South Hinksey and an "interesting" climb up the steepish grassy hill to Chiswell Farm. This was all very pleasant, with the exception of having to haul the 16kg+ bike over a couple of gates / fences en-route.

Image063.jpg

From there I followed the bridleway to the Cumnor road then a sedate meander down the hill thanks to my not inconsiderable drag. I noticed the butcher was open so popped in and scored a load of eggs (hurrah!) as well as a few other bits so that should stave off a big supermaket shop for a bit longer.

While it's maybe a bit silly to be taking a town bike off-road (I'd be screwed if I got a puncture) the ride is certainly a lot more comfortable than when I've done the same route on my road bike with 25c road tyres and the bike handles it very well, considering. I'm really impressed by the versatility and comfort afforded by the fatter tyres; especially considering their lack of knobbly tread. I'm wondering if the 38c max width on the CdF I'm planning on buying is going to be enough to satisfiy this new-found love of fat rubber.

Glad I got out now but my legs ache and I'm definitely going to take a day or two off soon..

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I only rode 15 miles (in accordance with Boris's hour-a-day exercise) and apart from being a tad cold at 7am, I had some knob passenger in a van spit at me and yell at me to go home !!

View attachment 511651

Love the team Sky rep “dog” I’ve got a 2013 ex Team Sky frame on my sons wall, I’ve also got the seat, seatpost, bars and clamp so one of these days I will build it up.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A spin round the lanes to get my daily allowance. I needed a bit of a change of scene so although I started off on the same roads as yesterday (Condover, Cantlop, Pitchford) I took a left on reaching Acton Burnell and headed for Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Cound Stank, Cross Houses, Berrington, Weeping Cross and Meole Brace.

The wind wasn't in quite the same direction as yesterday so I didn't get the same boost out of the village, but still got on reasonably well. There were more cyclists out today - I passed six in the first 3 miles with a few more round the lanes totting up to 15 in all plus a couple of people with ponies.

Not long after Berrington I was surprised when the cyclist coming the other way waved at me before realising it was @gavgav so we stopped briefly (on opposite sides of the road) for a chat.

The roads may be quiet of motor traffic but it's not as quiet locally as I thought it might be, expecially seeing some of the empty road photos on here. It's more like a Sunday morning than a lockdown.

I've been avoiding going towards town at all since the crisis started and realised on coming back the way I did that it is practically impossible to keep the specified distance from other people on the narrow cycle paths so I took to the road again and will stay out in the countryside for future rides.

20.3 miles at 13.6 mph average. No photo stops again.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Had to get out even if was dull and overcast with a temperature feeling far lower than it actually was so thickest bid longs and base layer under long sleeve jersey and the Defy back in action having on Sunday fixed it...

Same basic route as last Thursdays on the hybrid bar the TTLs and road closure has ended meaning ready access onto the A59 at a new roundabout to serve the houses growing in the former field beyond. Rather steep sharp ramps so I plainly need to practice bunny hops until the surface is properly done.

Approaching the climb to Clapham Green I flipped the rear inner shifter to pick a bit more speed up and nothing happened. Then it worked and so the ride carried on with the inner shifter at times refusing to do anything leading to some excessive spinning at times only then for a minute or two later behaving itself. Having drenched the old grease out of it on Sunday all I can think is there is something stuck in it, a previous cable did fray at that end. Still a good quarter of an hour quicker than the hybrid and the Wahoo data into Starva 71 feet more climbed :wacko:
Most of todays daffodils in one shot

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Out for a ride, after working from home was finished for the day and aiming to try and keep to 1 hour, where I can do, so I plotted a route on Google Maps, that would give me about that.

Avoiding the local estate and cycle paths, now, to ensure I keep my social distance, so took the main road up to Weeping Cross, for the first time ever and then out on the road to Betton Abbots. I’d just turned onto the Berrington road, when a cyclist came towards me.......and who should it be but @Rickshaw Phil! We had a brief chat, maintaining social distancing, before I carried on down the lanes, which are now mostly drying up, but covered in lumpy dry mud and sand/gravel. Much quieter than last time I used this lane, when the runners were about,

At Eaton Mascott I took a road I’ve never cycled up before, which brings you out just below Pitchford. There is a bit of climbing along there, but very quiet.

I then turned back towards Shrewsbury, but into the wind, not too strong though, which made it a bit tougher going, through Cantlop. Passed a runner on the double climb, before retracing my steps through Betton and back home. I almost made the hour, at 1:00:59!

12.42 Miles at 12.2mph avg

gavgav

Guru

View attachment 511651
I hope you were able to get the registration plate and report to the police? That is disgusting and a criminal offence for which someone was jailed for 12 months, last week, though it was for spitting at a Police officer

This evening little jaunt. Some canal I've not visited before.

Today's little jaunt was an exercise/utility ride to the lock-up, to swap bikes. I've lost interest in the Trek for the moment. So, made a little trip of it.
Out and up onto the viaduct and along NCN270, following it down to the canal below Monksmead, where it sort of rejoins the 27. Ish. Keep along the 27 to the road crossing below Whitchurch. Turn left up to Whitchurch.
Why did I think this was a good route? Up the hill. Got off to cross the main road, then continue toward the Whitchurch Inn. Except I just coud not remount on the gradient. Walked about 50 yards to where it started to ease, then managed to get going again. Very slowly.
Past the pub, road goes left and flattens considerably. Much easier. Straight up to the moor to a long dog leg. the first part is gently up, and straight into a cold headwind. I'm too unfit to do more than grind the extremely low bottom gear (28F-36R), hoping that when I turn, there will be enough of a tail wind to help me up the next slope to the peak of the golf course.
There is! I manage to exceed jogging pace, just, then a blissfull descent into Greenlands and around to the garage.
At the garage, I remove the Scott and put the Trek in its place. Then fit pedals to the Scott. I'd used them on the Merida MTB from @iateyoubutler .
I'd carried a pedal spanner with me, so that was quickly sorted. Lock up, then away.
Oh wow, why does the lightness and nippiness of the Scott always surprise me so much? Even more apparent when you get straight off one onto the other!
Home the short way, about eight minutes, compared to the hour to get there!
Out of Greenlands, then down Green Hill, not something from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, but a steep one way road about 150m long. The brakes on the Scott stopped me from running away, but were pretty much maxed out, even from a brisk walking pace.
Steeeeep.
From there, straight into town, wiggle about a bit, home.
6.53 miles, 5.8mph avg, 522ft gain.
Hard work on a heavy bike uphill, absolute blast on a lightweight coming down!
The Scott will be modified back to a 'proper' road bike over the next spell, during which I suspect we may all cease riding for a spell...

Top Bottom