Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
The odd bit of visible blue sky, being shifted around by the breeze, seems a good time to pedal the geared bike away and see where I end up.

That said, the route was decided as much as it ever is before starting out. But on the way through Holbeck I remembered the towpath to Viaduct Road can be busy, I dunno if it still is, not been that way for a while. So, turn left onto Victoria Road from Water Lane and ride under the arches in search of a way to Kirkstall. Already found this, of course, ridden it once before. But I never know what might be found . . .

A better way to turn right onto Cardigan Road, for starters. If traffic returns to previous levels that might not be the way I would choose though. Begin the uphill now, none of it steep and the very occasional bit of flat but by the time the water tower at Cookridge is reached the legs are ready for a rest. And happily, the road descends a bit from here. And before it reaches Bramhope it crosses the railway line to Harrogate. The only evidence is the tops of a couple of airshafts from the tunnel.

Straight through the village and back on the A660 to the Dyneley Arms. When do we stop calling a junction by the name of the pub that used to be there? Anyway, down Pool Bank quite quickly, and through the village. The temptation to cross the Wharfe and climb to Farnley was only just resisted, honest! So turn left onto the A659, next stop the maypoles in Otley.

And after refuelling, and a bit of a well separated chat with someone, Leeds Road awaits as the first bit of the homeward journey. The breeze really did give a shove up that bit, turn left at the only roundabout in Bramhope for more wind assistance up Kings Road. Turn right at the top and it is downhill past that side of Golden Acre Park. That park is odd, the road at the opposite side of the park goes uphill. Something to ponder, sometime.

For now, pass the church at Adel and soon rejoin the A660 to ride all the way back down to Headingley, with further down to Kirkstall after that. And then take to the bike tracks into the town centre. Familiarity makes these easier, as you might expect, and lack of traffic easier still. Back under the arches, across the Aire and through that bit of Hunslet to home. Thirty miles, fair weather and a grin.
Wandering . . .

02042020.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
In this thread about a 2km restriction, I thought that I could put together an 11 mile ride within a 2km radius of my house without crossing my own track or using the same stretch of road/bridleway twice, so today's Boris approved ride was to check it out while also taking the opportunity to post a birthday card.

The first part was out through Trimley to a bridleway I use regularly that runs alongside the A14, the end of which is right on the 2km boundary
P1000262.JPG
Then it was through Walton to the card drop and the only part where I broke my own rule about using the same bit twice as I'm not familier with that part of the estate. Back to the challenge, it was across the A14 Dock Spur road and a series of bridleways which start by running down alongside the rail line heading to the Dock,
P1000265.JPG
then back up to Trimley St. Mary, across to Thorpe Common and up to Trimley St Martin. Thankfully It's dried up since I last used some of these tracks and there's still a couple of obstructions that need to be moved, but nothing major
P1000266.JPG

In the end a total of 12 miles within the 2km radius including the card drop, and I could probably make it 13 by using another couple of roads at the start.
Screenshot_2020-04-02 2km Challenge Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-04-02 2km Challenge Ride Strava(1).png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A shorter one today: Over Lyth Hill, a serpentine route around the lanes in the Exford's Green and Longden area then over to Annscroft and back over Lyth Hill from that side.

Again, plenty of people perambulating round the village (with the requisite seperation), and quite a few on their bikes, but once over the hill it was much quieter.

I'd started out with sunshine but a brisk wind and found very quickly that it was warmer than I'd anticipated so needed to take off a layer. The sunshine had lulled me into a false sense of security and about halfway round rain showers started to blow in so I did get a bit damp. Fortunately it didn't last long.

Today's route took me along a few lanes that I haven't cycled for quite some time. The climb up the hill from Annscroft proved to be easier than I remember it.^_^

12.2 miles at 12.1 mph average. Enjoyed that.

A repeat of the view from yesterday, except for the showers marching across the landscape.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My longest exercise ride since the lockdown .... 17.2 miles in a few minutes over an hour. Out to just beyond Epney, about 6 miles away, then back to the lanes around Hardwicke for a leisurely mooch around before hitting the riverbank once more on my way home. Had the lanes mostly to myself this evening. Number two bike ran smoothly and quietly as ever. Got my cycling fix. That, along with finding eggs and toilet paper on this week's visit to Sainsbury's, made me happy. Little things.
Stay safe everyone. Cheers, Donger.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another loop this morning early doors, a nice bright day and dry and a little windy in certain parts .

I wasn’t planning on photos today but I couldn’t resist the lamb snoozing on its mums back.

On the way back through Blewbury where I popped in to the post

miles 11.56
Social interaction 0.5 (woman was behind glass)

colly

Re member eR
I was working this morning but come lunchtime I had had more than enough so even though it was a windy afternoon I still went out. Kicking myself because I could just as easily gone this morning when it was just breezy. I enjoyed the ride but it was scary at times.
So all local roads but not exactly just around the block.
I went over familiar roads including around Eccup Reservoir. I go round here quite a lot simply because it is often on my usual routes out towards Otley and Ilkley. Having said that it's a nice road around it, pretty much traffic free so it's no hardship going this way. It's one of, if not the, largest body of fresh water in West Yorkshire covering about 220 acres and containing over 6 billion litres of water with a depth up to 54 feet.
20200402_153241.jpg

20200402_153234.jpg

It was really choppy today in the strong wind. Not quite up to maximum as you can see but it can vary from day to day.

On around the north and west into a super strong unrelenting headwind. for just over a mile until Eccup Village. I say village, it's a farm, about a half dozen houses and ............. err? That's it.
Part of the main drag:
eccup  1.JPG

1585852520847.png

From Eccup I took the most direct route home because the wind had become even more wild and a number of times I was blown into the gutter nearly coming a cropper. Across the open areas of Roundhay Park it was bad.
Even so it was a good run out.

16 miles and 1300 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46544505

Attachments

• 1585852492752.png
    1585852492752.png
    435.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Out for my daily exercise on a cool clear day.

From Taunton to Staple Fitzpaine, up the hill past Neroche Castle and Forestry Commission land, with the occasional brief pause to look back at the view (not that I needed a break, of course), then across to the top of Blagdon hill, with its pink bus shelter and then down, down, down to home.

16 miles in around 75 minutes. Big smiles!

20200402_102609.jpg

m
20200402_102353.jpg

in
20200402_102655.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another quick blast out today, staying close to home, I took my Go Pro for some quick no faff photos so I wasn't hanging around too much.

I rode up the hill to Chilton and went through the Harwell Campus, down towards the edge of East Hendred, turning left towards The Ridgway and along the track towards the back of West Hendred. I rode along some bumpy old track today, I wanted to test the some of the claims about how riding a Trek Domane on rough services would fare. Well, it was pretty damn good actually, no teeth rattling like when I rode the same place once on my Madone. The Domane is a very comfortable bike.

I then continued through the village of West Hendred to the usually busy A417 to Rowstock, past Harwell Village then home.

Miles: 13.07
Social Contact: 0

Bumpy track

Bumpier track

Action shot!

Action shot

Top Bottom